• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 |OT| Change the Future

RPGCrazied

Oh, fun. :p The last boss I fought, I destroyed. Zeobia or something like that. I'm loving this cloudburst and chocobo I have.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Behemoths can one hit kill you there :<

Yup. It's why I avoided fighting in that area after a while. If not I would just jump off. It was extremely stupid. I really didn't understand the logic of that entire episode....

Yuripaw

Banned
I've only played this game a few hours, I only just beat the
Atlas boss in 005 AF
, so I'm not that far. However my first impressions of the game is I like it. I like it a lot more than I ever liked FF13.

It actually feels like a game! There's still plenty of story cutscenes, but I've never felt control is taken away from me as excessively as it was in FF13. The maps are nice and big with lots of nooks to explore. I like how you can be roaming around an area, and NPCs are just talking about stuff, or reacting to your character. I feel like they took some cues from Mass Effect or something, but it's not a bad thing at all. The world really does feel much more alive, and even minor characters have a good amount of personality.

The jury is still out regarding the story parts of the game, but I am enjoying it more than I enjoyed FF13's story I think so far. You'd think it'd be more confusing with a
time travel plot
, but it still seems to work. I actually like Noel as a character so far, he's not annoying like I was worried he might be. Serah isn't bad either. I hope it continues to stay good, but this really is such a relief after how much I disliked FF13 to see how much better this game is.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Is anyone here using the weaker weapons with the passive abilities? Some of them seem nice, maybe at higher levels, but they seem far weaker (for now, anyway) that it doesn't seem worth it.

RPGCrazied

Having a maxed out Pulsework Knight is a good idea too. Then he just mainly goes after him. I haven't debuffed in this game yet, maybe its not required? I'm sure it will be at some point.

I have no idea which bonuses to choose, don't know if I should be unlocking other roles or adding accessory points or picking paradigm boosts. The game doesn't really give you much to go from, it feels like whichever choice is just pissing in the wind.

Ricker

Ok I,m completly stuck now....I finished Bresha ruins,well most of it,still needing one capsule(found both when I played the demo but for the life of me,I only find 1 now),killed Atlas but if I travel to the next area in Sunleth,the first thing I have to fight there,a Boss,is not working at all,no matter what I throw at him,even if it's staggered...I swear I could of went on for 40 minutes and his health would still be half full...

So I went back to Bresha but there is an obstacle that says I need a key that I don't have...also there`s a circular chest in the middle of the small town now but I can't get to it...

Also I rewound time for the first area because I was missing 1 artefact but when you do that,you start everything all over?...,the cat,the necklace,the knife, the mirror??? I thought I could just look for the artefact...so I have to grind already before I can beat his Royal Ripnesse?....

Is this worth playing if I didn't finish XIII?

Something is telling me to play it

In my honest opinion I think it destroys XIII. The story is still awful (well, what story it does have) and the dialogue isn't much better but I feel that they did improve a lot of things-- and things that actually did matter.

Zoe

Also I rewound time for the first area because I was missing 1 artefact but when you do that,you start everything all over?...,the cat,the necklace,the knife, the mirror??? I thought I could just look for the artefact...so I have to grind already before I can beat his Royal Ripnesse?....

Rewinding was completely unnecessary. I can only think of two artifacts (other than paradox endings) that require rewinding, and they're at the end of the game.

In my honest opinion I think it destroys XIII. The story is still awful (well, what story it does have) and the dialogue isn't much better but I feel that they did improve a lot of things-- and things that actually did matter.

I played it. And was making good progress. Then my hdd took a dump. Never restarted. :(

RPGCrazied

So, how do you go about getting those paradox endings? I really don't see them explained in the guide. I really don't get the close gate thing, haven't even used that yet.

chri5t

Hmm, the dialogue between characters is a lot more personable and engaging. A lot better than the dialogue from FF13.

Ricker

Am I suppose to have Saboteur at the start of Episode 2,chapter 2?...you unlock the others with finding a monster that is a Saboteur?...I think that`s what I need for the Sunleth Boss but I dont have Sab yet...

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Noel is level 95 COM, should I unlock COM boost, accessory slots, or a new role?
I want to say unlock a COM boost because Noel gets rid of fodder easier with the COM boosts enacted (and if you're breezing through with Noel as your main COM anyway, just unlock the Boost), but if you don't have his Syn or Med role unlocked, I'd recommend that too. Noel is the best Syn and Med out of the two playable characters since he gets good skillsets as opposed to Serah.

Don't unlock his Sab until later on. The skills alloted to him aren't plentiful, and Serah is ultimately the better Sab.

Only the last episode is a problem. Other than that, the game is a breeze.
So the game takes a difficulty jump in Last Episode, huh? lol. How FFXIII-like.

I want to say unlock a COM boost because Noel gets rid of fodder easier with the COM boosts enacted (and if you're breezing through with Noel as your main COM anyway, just unlock the Boost), but if you don't have his Syn or Med role unlocked, I'd recommend that too. Noel is the best Syn and Med out of the two playable characters since he gets good skillsets as opposed to Serah.

Damn, I had kind of assigned Serah as my medic. Thanks though, that helps.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

Don't unlock his Sab until later on. The skills alloted to him aren't plentiful, and Serah is ultimately the better Sab.

So the game takes a difficulty jump in Last Episode, huh? lol. How FFXIII-like.

Well, at least the jump was sort of subtle in XIII. Here it's very wide.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Am I suppose to have Saboteur at the start of Episode 2,chapter 2?...you unlock the others with finding a monster that is a Saboteur?...I think that`s what I need for the Sunleth Boss but I dont have Sab yet...
You don't have to, but it's recommended. You can get a Sab monster in the Bresha Ruins. It's a floral monster or something. It spawns around the graveyard area.

I just used Rav/Sab for the Sunleth boss because I was ATB-cancelling and switching with Rav/Rav to boost the Break Gauge... After that, it was pretty much Com/Rav... :/

I have to say that I'm kind of glad that there's other stuff to do in this game, and it feels more gamey, thank goodness. I like the voice acting (not Alyssa's, Mog's, or Chocolina's), and Noel's a hoot. But I dislike the lack of balancing and ease this game has. I figured that it'd be harder with just two characters, but in the long run, it really doesn't feel that way. I'm really disappointed in how little strategy and pre-battle planning I've had to do so far... especially when compared to FFXIII's postgame.

Well, at least the jump was sort of subtle in XIII. Here it's very wide.
Oh my... :O

Looking forward to it, then.

brandonh83 said:
Damn, I had kind of assigned Serah as my medic. Thanks though, that helps.
Serah has higher MAG stats, so keep that in mind too. Noel gets way more spells than her for some reason... but when he gets Med Boosts, then he'll be an adequate healer. I want to say that the MED monsters will eventually trump both of them at healing, though... much like in every other case as long as you create a good monster build.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Is there any use to those special com / rav attack abilities
the 5 atb ones
? Maybe they get quite strong later.

Question about a fragment quest in the Bresha Ruins 005 AF

The one where you have to get the soldier's comm device, I got the device, but it says I need to find the culprit as well? Been driving me insane for a while lol

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Is there any use to those special com / rav attack abilities
the 5 atb ones
? Maybe they get quite strong later.
Serah's RAV ability, the Ultima Arrow, is a lot like Lightning's Army of One. It should be used once an enemy is staggered to drive the gauge up to 999%. It hits multiple times.

Noel's COM ability, the Meteor Javelin, should be used when the enemy is staggered. However, it's a lot like Fang's Highwind--only use it just as the stagger period ends (ie: as a finisher move). To make it more useful, cast Bravery on Noel.

RS4-

Ugh, the rare miniboss or whatever in AF400
Oerba

I wish the bestiary wasn't needed to get a fragment; it's the last one I've got left and I don't think will be finished any time soon.

And lol when the AI uses Noel; uses meteor javelin as soon as they get the chance :|

Esura

Banned
I was wondering was these stats cool so far.

Serah
HP - 1700 (something like that)
Str - 146
Mag - 335

Commando - lv. 50
Ravager - lv. 57
Sentinel - lv. 31
Saboteur - lv. 20
Synergist - lv 10
Medic - lv. 30

Noel
HP - 2500 (something like that)
Str - 310
Mag - 151

Commando - lv. 56
Ravager - lv. 30
Sentinel - lv. 31
Saboteur - lv. 18
Synergist - lv 28
Medic - lv. 35

I just got done with
400AF Academia

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
And lol when the AI uses Noel; uses meteor javelin as soon as they get the chance :|
LOL, so the AI controlled characters use their special skills now? That's hilarious.

All I want is your crystal feral behemoth!
I got that in my first battle against one. :/

I was wondering was these stats cool so far.

*stats*
They seem fine and well-balanced to me. I'm not that far yet, but perhaps the balancing is proving useful to you, yeah?

I'd advise leaving Serah's Sentinel alone for a little bit and concentrate on her Saboteur role a little bit more, though.

rataven

Her and Yeul are the worst characters in the game. It's so awful. Both for different reasons btw.
The funny thing is that I originally expected scenes like that to be the norm. But I've been pleasantly surprised that for the most part, the story's mostly just corny, but tolerable. So all her melodrama really stood out. Go Noel for putting the kibosh on her breakdown.

Top Bottom