• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 |OT| Change the Future

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Yes, I did it and suggested me to make thunders appear. I did... buth both monsters disappear, not just the Long Gui :\

Try a different setting. There are only 4 and it will be obvious when it works.

Also got anti-grav jump. How fun and silly.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I always wanted Sonic + Nier + TWEWY + Persona 3/4 music in FF.
Fixed for me. It's a refreshing change. FF has usually been the one to set the standard when it came to a lot of stuff, including music. They need vocal music during battles outside of choir work, and then they'll be good.

I'm also one of the people who thought the genre variance and the acoustic work in FFX, FFIX, and FFXIII were a good thing. I really love the acoustic work in FFXIII-2, and I'd like to hear more of it in the future.

Also, I've taken to muting the music sometimes and just playing Inevitable Struggle (Zero no Kiseki), For True Story (Sonic Adventure 2), Crisis City (Modern), and Rooftop Run (Modern) during areas. They work well enough and help break the monotony somewhat.

I'm not sure if someone has posted this yet but I was running around in
new Academia
and decided to stop and throw Mog over the railings, so I did then watched him for a little bit before I decided to run off and about 10 seconds later I got a message over my screen

"Item acquired

You obtain 1 gil!"

I went back and tested it a couple times and it seems to work everytime. I thought it was a pretty cool easter egg. lol
That's what happens when you have the updated Mog Throw Fragment Skill turned on. He surveys the area a little more and decides to find small stuff.

Can someone explain to me how to remove the Long Gui from my path and at the same time being able to beat the Fearie?-.-'
Change the weather to lightning (sky should look purplish, don't change it to rainy weather, just lightning). Play with the switches until you get the desired result. Blue should be down. Red should be up.

I can't believe I spend the last 2 hours battling myself through the last section of the game only to get to the very last boss fight and quit because it's so hard and I'm very low leveled :(

anyway, which way is the best way to grind CP and level up fast?

and oh one more thing about the last boss:

WTF with all the random last boss sh*t ?

MechaX

Serah, I appreciate that you call the story out on its "Future affects the past" bullshit. Too bad that will probably be either glossed away or explained in a ridiculous fashion later in the game.

Paches

This game is pretty awesome, but I am wasting a lot of time trying to find all the fragments in areas when they probably aren't available to access at that time. Having fun though so far.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Need some help please:
where can I find the Augustia Tower 50 Key?
Did you unlock Augusta Tower AF300? You have to do that section in order to get the keycard for Augusta Tower AF200.

You can unlock the area by using a Wild Artefact in Yaschas Massif AF01X.

Aeana

So many aspects of this game feel tailor-made for me. The specific way the sidequests and other optional content are structured is exactly the kind of thing that I like. Plus the monster recruiting and infusion are big pluses for me as well. I feel kinda unstoppable with my fully upgraded pulse knight, and I can't wait to level up my new albino lobo.

Mognet

Need some help please:
where can I find the Augustia Tower 50 Key?

You have to unlock "AF300 Augusta Tower" and go there. In order to unlock it you will have to go back to "Yaschas Massif O1X AF" and to the west of the map there's a gate where you will have to use a Wild Artefact to activate

scy

So many aspects of this game feel tailor-made for me. The specific way the sidequests and other optional content are structured is exactly the kind of thing that I like. Plus the monster recruiting and infusion are big pluses for me as well. I feel kinda unstoppable with my fully upgraded pulse knight, and I can't wait to level up my new albino lobo.

Get new monster.

InfuseInfuseInfuseInfuseInfuse.

Never use it. Why do I do this to myself :|

rataven

Is it possible to go back and complete areas after you finish the main story? Things are picking up and I'm pushing on, but I know I'll want to finish the side stuff at some point without starting over.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Serah, I appreciate that you call the story out on its "Future affects the past" bullshit. Too bad that will probably be either glossed away or explained in a ridiculous fashion later in the game.
I find the cyclical chronology in this game rather frustrating too. I doubt Toriyama was thinking of cyclical time metaphysics when he thought this up... and I think they don't really do much with it outside of establishing that train of thought in the universe (unsurprisingly).

...Man, whenever I pay attention to the narrative, all I want to do is play Chrono Trigger since the rules and regulations of the Chrono universe are clear-cut and logical. Not to mention that I like ATB 2.0 a lot. What I find interesting is that whenever the FFXIII-2 characters say that
a portion of the timeline is overwritten or deleted
, why can I still access it and go back to it? If this were Chrono Trigger,
that sort of thing would have been discarded to the Darkness Beyond Time to never see the light of day again. This is why the Chrono crew were always hesitant to change time--because it would mean people and the timeline that they visited would be thrown to the DBT, never to be seen again. The repercussions of changing time and dimensions in the Chrono universe are made clear to the player, while here, Serah and Noel seem to do it willy-nilly, and they keep doing it even after they realize that they probably shouldn't.

Outside of the narrative--enjoying Noel a metric ton, liking that I can open up optional areas before I should, and liked what they did with
Archlyte Steppe
, but I can't help but to feel that something's missing... I dunno what that is yet, but when I finish off the plat, we'll see what it is.

Thoraxes

You mean timing my jumps for the
backward light-bridges? Also, what is the object I get later?

Thanks.
Yes.
Later, after completing enough fragments, you can get an extended jump/float Fragment Skill from Serendipity. For the light escalators/bridges, it's possible to jump down them, you just have to keep at at and time your jumps properly. You'll have to do this later in the game for a particular section.
Yes, it is a little frustrating.

Aeana

zomg, Just tamed a behemoth. I don't think you're supposed to even fight these.
It told me to retreat into the search lights and stuff. But I got my retry option locked since I wasn't quick enough, so I beat it and tamed it and also got a behemoth fang!

Paches

It told me to retreat into the search lights and stuff. But I got my retry option locked since I wasn't quick enough, so I beat it and tamed it and also got a behemoth fang!

I did the same thing, but it took me about 5 pheonix downs in that fight to beat it

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yeah, the behemoths are easy.
Don't listen to the game if you can beat them, lol.
Plus they yield some good CP. Not sure how the Behemoths are in battle, though. I haven't tried using one.

Does anyone else have any suggestions for SEN monsters for around Episode 5? I think I'm going to need one to use as bait and a punching bag soon. I only have a Pulse Knight. I'm not catching a lot of monsters cuz... well, I'm not using them and they're not using Feral Links to attract other monsters to the party! :lol

Mognet

I barely beat it as well except I didn't tame the bastard. ):

Grats though!

burgerdog

I caught the second I encountered unable to run away, too. It has been in my party since.

edit
I ran into an albino behemoth named nasha something and I got wrecked as soon as it stood.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Isnt the silver chocobo a SEN? Not sure when you could get him.
Is it? I forgot to get that one from the moogle throw, so I should probably go get it. Thanks. :D

As long as it has Provoke and Mediguard, it's good enough for me. I just need it to act as bait. (You know what I'm going to use it for, anyway, since I have no choice: (episode 5 spoilers for those who don't want to read this)
when Serah's alone and has to fight Caius
).

Aeana

Is that what Feral Links do? Admittedly, I've hardly used them, mostly due to just forgetting they're there. But I've been grinding a bit for a certain monster, and the game just won't give it to me!

Sweet!

Supposedly, if you defeat an enemy with a feral link, the chances of it joining are much higher.

MechaX

...Man, whenever I pay attention to the narrative, all I want to do is play Chrono Trigger since the rules and regulations of the Chrono universe are clear-cut and logical.

Yeah, I think this is my biggest problem with the time travel mechanic so far. Plus, I see nothing good forthcoming in the fact that now we're getting into alternate time-lines now.

I ran into an albino behemoth named nasha something and I got wrecked as soon as it stood.

Yeah, I ran into that albino behemoth. I thought I was doing well, but then it stood up and just wrecked my party.

Also, I appreciate how the game lets you go to different places, but just kinda taps its fingers when you are in a place you clearly shouldn't be in yet.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Is that what Feral Links do? Admittedly, I've hardly used them, mostly due to just forgetting they're there. But I've been grinding a bit for a certain monster, and the game just won't give it to me!
Yeah. The more you use them (and the higher the % synchronization rate), the higher the capture chance... that is, if the Link is used to defeat the monster with a high synch % rate.

Yeah, I think this is my biggest problem with the time travel mechanic so far. Plus, I see nothing good forthcoming in the fact that now we're getting into alternate time-lines now.
Yeah... it seems like there aren't clear-cut rules outside of
Caius being the one to preserve the timeline by any means necessary
, and it seems like all the rules are set in order to be convenient as opposed to boundaries and rules that the characters can't--and shouldn't due to severe repercussions--overcome.

rataven

Supposedly, if you defeat an enemy with a feral link, the chances of it joining are much higher.

Huh. I'll try that then. Noel usually does all the heavy hitting work, so he almost always finishes the round. But I'll set up some paradigms with him as SEN or something and let my monster COMs put in some battle time.

Dark Schala said:
Yeah. The more you use them (and the higher the % synchronization rate), the higher the capture chance... that is, if the Link is used to defeat the monster with a high synch % rate.
Thanks. I'm getting a pretty full roster of monster buddies, so I'm now trying to learn all the nuances of this system. This is helpful.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Avoided going to that last dungeon and tried some chocobo racing instead. I guess I'll go finish it so I can just get on with postgame stuff. Alternatively I'll just sit in Academia and stare at the nicest looking FF city I've seen in ages.

Aeana

I've heard just about every popular English voice actor in the game so far, even Troy Baker voicing more than just Snow. I think the only person I haven't heard yet is JYB, but I'm hoping I never do. There's some Wendee Lee (aka female JYB), though.

MechaX

I've heard just about every popular English voice actor in the game so far, even Troy Baker voicing more than just Snow. I think the only person I haven't heard yet is JYB, but I'm hoping I never do. There's some Wendee Lee (aka female JYB), though.

Just wait for FFXIII-3. Two main leads again, but one is JYB using his Renton Thurston voice, and the other is JYB using his "Every JYB-voiced character" voice.

RPGCrazied

Do you think when this DLC comes out this Tuesday, will have anything else other than the lightning fight? How hard is it to put up some costumes? At least put Noels up, his is already ready to go.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Try a different setting. There are only 4 and it will be obvious when it works.

Thanks, I don't know how exactly I did it, but in the end the Dragon Age's Dragon appeared there (cool fight btw) and I got my reward.

Am I wrong or Mog doesn't see invisible artifacts? It's going to be a pain in the ass finding them if they're placed in hide spots. I was searching for one single fragment in the
place where Snow is
... and I had to give up. I guess I'll have to rely on a game guide before or later if I want my eyes to live longer.

I just finished the part where
Snow disappears in front of Serah and Noel 'cause the time paradox have been solved,
am I still far from the ending? I'm starting to be a bit concerned btw about the story at this point. People before were talking of a crappy story with lots of paradoxes and non-sense... but all I see, it's just filler quests with no story content at all. How much I have to wait to see the story picking up? It literally never moved forward again from that gorgeous opening.

Negator

Where can I get a monster with haste? So far in the game I'm
Just about to enter the gate after getting the 5 cores for Hope

So I got to Augusta tower 200AF, but the way is blocked and the game said to explore other areas for gates to here, anyone know where I need to go to find an alternate timeline here?

So far, the main place I feel this game falls behind the original is in the Crystarium. I thought it was a lot better handled in the first game, while here you have very little choice within each role. The monster upgrading and infusion is really awesome, though. I also miss being able to upgrade weapons.

I'm really liking the environments, however. I'm in Episode 4, and I just finished
Augustia Tower in 200 AF
, and I thought that area was pretty great. There isn't anything on par with Gran Pulse, but there are a lot of awesome different areas to visit, and you can go to a different area whenever you want to.

Top Bottom