• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 |OT| Change the Future

Bebpo

Banned
When do you start getting good monsters? I'm about 8 hours in and I still feel all my monsters are low level junk and I don't have enough of the rank 2 items to level any of them past lvl.15 or so. I'm still using my first monsters for my MED/RAV and I'm using various stuff for COM. Also when do you open up monster fusing? I'm assuming that will help.

Also can you screw yourself up by doing the crystarium badly? I didn't know how it worked until I read this thread and I've just been doing nonstop COM for Noel and splitting Serah on RAV/MED. I think Noel is like lvl.55 COM and Serah is lvl.35 RAV atm. I don't even have any ohther roles for them besides whatever they started with. Just started 300AF with the
blobs
. Should I change up my leveling at this point or is it too late since CP costs are high already (~400-500cp an level).

Aeana

When do you start getting good monsters? I'm about 8 hours in and I still feel all my monsters are low level junk and I don't have enough of the rank 2 items to level any of them past lvl.15 or so. I'm still using my first monsters for my MED/RAV and I'm using various stuff for COM. Also when do you open up monster fusing? I'm assuming that will help.

Also can you screw yourself up by doing the crystarium badly? I didn't know how it worked until I read this thread and I've just been doing nonstop COM for Noel and splitting Serah on RAV/MED. I think Noel is like lvl.55 COM and Serah is lvl.35 RAV atm. I don't even have any ohther roles for them besides whatever they started with. Just started 300AF with the
blobs
. Should I change up my leveling at this point or is it too late since CP costs are high already (~400-500cp an level).

You can get great monsters in episode 2, like the pulse knight and albino lobo. Maxed out pulse knight is a fantastic SEN that takes very little damage from anything, and you can max him out with level 1 items. I'm in episode 3 now and I'm still getting great monsters... I got a behemoth who is a fantastic COM, and a pretty good MED in Spiranthes (comes with item collector!). I'm not sure what to say about your experiences. As for fusing, you can do it any time. Choose "infuse" from the monsters menu.

Bebpo

Banned
You can get great monsters in episode 2, like the pulse knight and albino lobo. Maxed out pulse knight is a fantastic SEN that takes very little damage from anything, and you can max him out with level 1 items. I'm in episode 3 now and I'm still getting great monsters... I got a behemoth who is a fantastic COM, and a pretty good MED in Spiranthes (comes with item collector!). I'm not sure what to say about your experiences. As for fusing, you can do it any time. Choose "infuse" from the monsters menu.

I've fought all those enemies, but I haven't gotten any of them as party members :|

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Game runs much better in Academia. Instant loads, near 60fps locked. Wish the rest of the game was like this.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Oh snap, some more DLC info and explanation of what the
"To be continued"
at the end of the game means. Also a mention of preparation of a large Lightning episode.

http://andriasang.com/comzvb/ffxiii2_tbc/
The paradox endings
are then part of the timelines
from what he's saying? The time travel mechanics in this game are beginning to truly irritate me. I really dislike them.

Bebpo said:
Also can you screw yourself up by doing the crystarium badly? I didn't know how it worked until I read this thread and I've just been doing nonstop COM for Noel and splitting Serah on RAV/MED. I think Noel is like lvl.55 COM and Serah is lvl.35 RAV atm.
No. If you're doing Com non-stop with Noel, you're fine. Just remember that bigger nodes give you role bonuses (so for Com levels on larger nodes, you get an ATK bonus; for Rav on bigger nodes, you get a MAG bonus; for Sen levels on larger nodes, you get HP bonuses).

I'd suggest levelling Serah's Rav a little more, though. And at least getting a -strike skill for Noel's Rav. You might need it.

StuBurns

Banned
I'm not six hours in and Noel's Com is about level 50 if I remember right, what shall I do when it hits 100? Presumably it'll be well before I get to the end.

teh_pwn

I'm not six hours in and Noel's Com is about level 50 if I remember right, what shall I do when it hits 100? Presumably it'll be well before I get to the end.

I did COM and then started SEN. Sort of use him as a tank during bosses already, HP bonuses doesn't hurt. RAV doesn't seem to complement well for him, because it uses magic which isn't increased at all by COM.

Peff

You're not supposed to only level up COM for Noel and RAV for Serah, you're supposed to level them up on the big spheres only, which give you extra points for attack/magic, and fill the rest with RAV/COM. Two of the other roles also give these same bonus but only with odd levels (synergist and Saboteur for Serah) or even levels (Saboteur for Noel) on big spheres, so you have to juggle them if you want "perfect" stats. Not that you'd ever need them though.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Pump your CP into another role. Preferably Rav or Syn (since he's the best syn out of the two, and you're going to need some -strike attacks from Rav for fighting some monsters anyway). Sab is the other role that gives ATK bonuses.

I wouldn't go full Sen yet since it usually gives you HP+ bonuses, and I guess since most people are using monsters, the monsters will be doing the SEN work, right?

For Synergist: Even Number Level bonus on big nodes: HP+6; Odd Number Level bonus on big nodes: MAG+2
For Saboteur: Even Number Level Bonus on big nodes: ATK+2; Odd Number Level bonus on big nodes: MAG+2

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
You need a fragment skill. It will be a while.

No you don't. Make the weather windy then head near the locked gate.
There is a whirlwind and when you examine it, it reveals a gold cactuar that lets you warp there

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
how do i get to the marsh area of the steppes? i just beat
faeryl(?)
and can't figure it out.

Switch the weather to the windy/hazy choice and go to the north end of the map near the closed off gate. If you keep going to the right you should see a tornado or something... there's a gold cactuar statue there that will teleport you to the side of the steppe.

area5.gif

The number 3 next to the #8 on this map.

Toth

Also, don't forget that lvl 99 in this game is only like level 17 in a regular RPG. Level cap is technically 594.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Still trying to find where to go after auugusta tower 200 AF. Anyone have any idea?
Did you get the
Card Key from Augusta Tower AF300 in order to progress in Augusta Tower AF200? You can unlock Augusta Tower AF300 via Yaschas Massif in AF01X with a Wild Artefact.

burgerdog

No you don't. Make the weather windy then head near the locked gate.
There is a whirlwind and when you examine it, it reveals a gold cactuar that lets you warp there

Switch the weather to the windy/hazy choice and go to the north end of the map near the closed off gate. If you keep going to the right you should see a tornado or something... there's a gold cactuar statue there that will teleport you to the side of the steppe.

area5.gif

The number 3 next to the #8 on this map.

Reply with map wins. Off to play for a bit and check this stuff out.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I suggest a Cloudburst, best rav in the game, IMO.

Ravager monsters eventually die out by the end of the game because of the need to have always 3 sent and 3 med for harder bosses. so you ned up using that last spot for a super buff commando, which ends up being the chichu.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Reply with map wins.

( ̄へ ̄)

Serendipty had me wondering, has SE given any timeframe of when the card game DLC might be ready?

Ravager monsters eventually die out by the end of the game because of the need to have always 3 sent and 3 med for harder bosses. so you ned up using that last spot for a super buff commando, which ends up being the chichu.

Yeah I've never used a Ravager since it seems easy just to kill them off / they stagger quickly enough with Serah alone anyway.

Any common opinion on what the better Sentinels are? I can't imagine replacing this pulse gladiator soon, especially after some infusions.

Been quietly watching how the game has been received throughout the 'net. And earlier today my copy of the Xbox 360 version came in from Amazon (along with those $30 in promotional credits). Given that I enjoyed the demo--as soon as it was liberated from Gold exclusivity--and that I ended up generally liking FFXIII, I'm looking forward to starting this up later.

Just yesterday replayed FFXIII from select save-points to revisit some key battles (and story events...for what they're worth).

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
( ̄へ ̄)

Serendipty had me wondering, has SE given any timeframe of when the card game DLC might be ready?

Yeah I've never used a Ravager since it seems easy just to kill them off / they stagger quickly enough with Serah alone anyway.

Any common opinion on what the better Sentinels are? I can't imagine replacing this pulse gladiator soon, especially after some infusions.

Pulsework monsters are really good sentinels. I think Gladiator might be the strongest. Not sure though.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Pulsework monsters are really good sentinels. I think Gladiator might be the strongest. Not sure though.
Where do you get the Pulsework Gladiator?

Either that or they just wanted players to do them all.
Probably. The whole article read as though he were playing coy with every answer he gave, lol.

The actual gameplay mechanics or the story? I think it's fine in regards to the gameplay. It's when they shove it in your face with the narrative that it's irksome.
The narrative elements and the rules and regulations. Gameplay and Historia Crux interface is fine.

Foffy

Banned
Oh snap, some more DLC info and explanation of what the
"To be continued"
at the end of the game means. Also a mention of preparation of a large Lightning episode.

http://andriasang.com/comzvb/ffxiii2_tbc/

I hope the game is
continued/concluded as DLC. I am not willing to buy another sequel. It's not that I hate XIII-2, but hasn't the desire for it been significantly less so than it was for XIII? And they want to do another?

What I do hate are the two or so locations I've seen so far that don't even hide that you need DLC to get the full experience. And I will not be paying a dime for that stuff.

Also, in regards to the game
do any areas open up once you beat the main game, or can I try to complete everything before finishing it? I at least want to finish as much of the game as it allows before I tackle the end of the main quest, as that's how I always am in games.

teh_pwn

Sure, maybe on the original Crystal Tools dev version :lol

The battles ran pretty fast, and looked more like the environment outside of battle. Or maybe the rest of the game is so slow by comparison it seemed near 60 fps. Augusta tower is running < 15 fps. :/

teh_pwn

Anyway, my point was that it ran faster in that level, and that I wished it was like that for the whole game. Maybe I imagined it. I wasn't evaluating the average fps for the entire game.

Game runs much better in Academia. Instant loads, near 60fps locked. Wish the rest of the game was like this.

60? lol

The only 60fps I've been able to detect (like a cyborg) is during Historia Crux loading screens. Lasts about 1-2 seconds :p Academia does run pretty well though, considering how large it is, except around the shopping district I find.

But yeah, I'm about 17 hours in and just finished up exploring Academia 4XX AF. It's an awesome city that I wish were real haha. Sort of reminds me of Esther in FFVIII but nicer in my opinion.

Loving the game so far, and the story isn't as whack or annoying as I thought it would be. It's actually pretty neat I reckon; might just need better writing is all.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Better than Serah wiping her forehead every once in a while.
Remember how I said in the demo thread that the animations in this game were great?

I have AI Serah walking into a wall sometimes. Or sometimes she'd sit down while Noel's having a conversation with someone, but rather than sitting down the whole time, she'd sit then stand, sit then stand, sit then stand... until the conversation finished. @_@

The battle animations are better than FFXIII's, though.

Bresha AF005.
I've only seen the Gladiator in the Steppe. The Pulse Knight is in Bresha but I've never seen the Gladiator there.
Thanks, guys. :D

Top Bottom