• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 |OT| Change the Future

Midou

I enjoyed but was not super thrilled by FFXIII, but I pre-ordered the CE for FFXIII-2 cause it's so sexy. Will I regret it? Maybe, the OST should be pretty sweet at least.

dramatis

Any ideas what the final boss track is on the OST?

edit: just heard the chocobo theme. Yeah I dunno what to say about that at all.
Wasn't the chocobo theme simply AMAZING though?

SO YOU THINK YOU CAN RIIIIIDE THIS CHOCOBO—!

Hopefully there's more than one chocobo theme.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
0b37c73d.jpg

Tizoc

@RPG- Equp the ring that reduces fire damage (you should have 3 of them at that point).
If you spent some hours grinding at the Behemoth+white wolf then this boss will be a piece of cake. I was surprised at how fast I took him down with all my main paradigms maxed out lol. I used Fang+Vanille+Light; I started by debuffing him then going into Com+Rav+Rav, got him staggered and then poof he dead~

...but Schala's tactic is useful still.

If you can spare some Gil, buy some Speed Sashes; first check to see how many you have in your inventory, I think you should have at least:
1 Speed Sash
1 Energy Sash
1 Shroud Scavenger (increases chances of getting a -sol after battle)
You will want 6 speed sashes, so if you have one of each of the above, buy 3.
Equipping 2 Sashes (or 1 Sash+Shroud) will give you the passive ability: Random Instant Stagger.
Random IS does NOT work on bosses or enemies that are lvl. 49+, but will be very helpful as you play through the game.

Speaking of which, if Random IS is in 13-2....>=3

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 is PlayStation Access' Game of the Week

The latest episode of PlayStation Access, the weekly PlayStation Network video show, has featured FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 as its game of the week with a great video feature and interview with producer Yoshinori Kitase and director Motomu Toryiama. It's a great look at the improvements that we've made since FINAL FANTASY XIII and at FINAL FANTASY XIII-2's storyline. Check it out!

The whole thing features gameplay and cutscene footage, some of which you may not have seen before. So if you're looking to absorb as much information about the game as possible before its launch on February the 3rd, this episode of PlayStation Access should be your next stop.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
@RPG- Equp the ring that reduces fire damage (you should have 3 of them at that point).
If you spent some hours grinding at the Behemoth+white wolf then this boss will be a piece of cake. I was surprised at how fast I took him down with all my main paradigms maxed out lol. I used Fang+Vanille+Light; I started by debuffing him then going into Com+Rav+Rav, got him staggered and then poof he dead~

...but Schala's tactic is useful still.

If you can spare some Gil, buy some Speed Sashes; first check to see how many you have in your inventory, I think you should have at least:
1 Speed Sash
1 Energy Sash
1 Shroud Scavenger (increases chances of getting a -sol after battle)
You will want 6 speed sashes, so if you have one of each of the above, buy 3.
Equipping 2 Sashes (or 1 Sash+Shroud) will give you the passive ability: Random Instant Stagger.
Random IS does NOT work on bosses or enemies that are lvl. 49+, but will be very helpful as you play through the game.

Speaking of which, if Random IS is in 13-2....>=3
My tactic is for if you have all the accessories that you can possibly gather at the point without getting a Chocobo without buying any additional ones... eh... plus doing a few missions. I didn't start splurging on stuff until postgame, but even then it was only for defensive accessories like Bracelets and Belts. Plus I place a high importance on buffing over anything else (hence Hope would usually be put in since he is a Defensive Enhancer).

However, I ended up maxing out the Primary three Optima for each character by the end of Taejin's Tower in both the JP and English versions, so I guess that's why I didn't find that boss particularly difficult (use Dispelga, work on stagger, maintain gauge, shift to defensive optima when you see attack name flash, stagger, use BLA/BLA/ATK, rinse, repeat).

I did that boss fight with Hope/Vanille/Fang, iirc. It wasn't too bad, though using an Attacker would have probably helped a lot. I did the NEXT boss fight (the Chapter 11 endboss) with Sazh/Vanille/Fang, ahuahuahua. That's why it was so fun for me~

I only used Smokes/Shrouds/whatever they're called for... the first time I took a Gui down and for that one mission where you had to get a PE to get 5-stars in Titan's Trials. Helpful, but I ended up hoarding them and never really using them. I would imagine that other players would find them incredibly useful, but I just don't really like using them.

RIC is mostly useful for Sazh when he gets Cold Blood anyway, which is... next chapter... right? It's... uh, been a while.

Yeah, how IS RIC going to work in FFXIII-2? Sazh isn't there anymore to be the King of RIC!

PK Gaming

Sazh's limit rapidly builds the stagger meter (but its really weak at the same time)

I'm watching all of the gameplay videos now, talk about information overload 0_o
Edit: Serah's outfit is absolutely horrendous. I can't wait until they release her DLC outfit....

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Only limit breaks I used were Vanille's and Fang's; how does Sazh's work?
Whaaaaaaaaa?

omg. dude.

dude.

Sazh is one of the best characters in the game, and he ended up being in my Gui party a lot (because of his slow casting speed--his first cast is like 1.5 seconds while his subsequent casts are 0.6 seconds apart... his recovery period to initiate ATB gauge refill is pretty short too). His stats are pretty suck, but he makes up for it for being the King of Random Instant Chain.

Sazh's Cold Blood is where he can hit an enemy more times in one turn than any other character (17 times, I think?). Each hit does little damage, but the Cold Blood ability is most useful for RIC. It's the best thing you can use against the Gigantuar. RIC's probability of hitting is like... 0.5%, and that increases every single time you score a hit. So you can easily see why using Sazh's Cold Blood to induce RIC is desirable.

What I like about this ability is that Sazh gets stuck in the animation for a while, so you can still ATB cancel or shift Optima no problem to keep the other characters following your battle plan and he'll keep using it until he's finished. Make him use it again and again to increase the chance that RIC will hit.

I like it a lot better than the others' abilities.

Lightning's Scene Drive or whatever it's called in English is best used when you've Staggered the opponent and are trying to drive the gauge up to 999%. When it gets to 999%, stop using it. The animation is far too long and you can get more damage if you let her use standard attacks because her standard attack animation is fast. It looks pretty, yes, but don't use it after you've built up the gauge to 999% because you're just wasting all the time you have to attack things head-on. Especially against Guis.

Fang's Highwind is best used for a final attack before the enemy's stagger has depleted because the Highwind completely depletes the Break Gauge no matter what. The animation is longer than I'd like it to be because it feels like it's wasting so much time on camera angles and emphasis on making the character look flashy and cool rather than letting the player execute the attack properly in a timely manner. It's annoying, especially for a system built around speed.

Vanille's Death is Death. Best used against enemies that have already been debuffed a lot (so really debilitated) or enemies that don't seem like they have high vitality at all. Its animation is pretty fast so no wonder people use it a lot. I do not think it's a good tactic to use against Tortoises all the time because it's chance-based and it gets boring waiting for it to connect even when using better rods like the Malboro Wand.

Hope's Holy or Last Resort is Holy, but the animation for it is too long for it to be of any use unless you're using it as a finisher.

Snow's Sovereign Fist is kind of useless, imo. I never really found much of a use for it. Animation is pretty short, though. Besides... Snow is just there for support or to be used as a punching bag.

Tizoc

@Schala- Woah thanks, I never knew that, will def. use these tactics in upcoming battles >=3
I now have 6 Traps, time to finish off some missions, get some Gil and CP and then Platinum is as good as mine >=D
EDIT: *orz* just realized I didn't pick up Light's Axis Blade from Chapter 7/8.

Makoto

Wasn't the chocobo theme simply AMAZING though?

SO YOU THINK YOU CAN RIIIIIDE THIS CHOCOBO—!

Hopefully there's more than one chocobo theme.
I was considering a pre-order of the Collector's Edition.

Then I heard Crazy Chocobo and said fuck that. It also helps that none of the samples have impressed me either.

TheExodu5

Banned
So what's the word on the general structure of the game? I loved the battle system in Final Fantasy XIII, but I hated the linear structure, and the abhorrent pacing.

RPGCrazied

Considering the OST by itself is like $40 or something? Add that with the game and its over $100. Plus a cool box, and an artbook? Shame we don't get the tshirt or art cards like EU gets, but better than nothing.

I'm getting it just for the OST myself. Sure, they're stinkers in there, but I found quite a few I liked.

I can't stop listening to New Bodhum. So gooooooood. ;___;

I'm surprised Hamauzu doesn't have more of a presense on the soundtrack, though.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Remember that there's another boss around the corner, RPGCrazied. :)

@Schala- Woah thanks, I never knew that, will def. use these tactics in upcoming battles >=3
I now have 6 Traps, time to finish off some missions, get some Gil and CP and then Platinum is as good as mine >=D
EDIT: *orz* just realized I didn't pick up Light's Axis Blade from Chapter 7/8.
You can still purchase it from Plautus's Workshop.

Also note that I did my platinum run with several spreadsheets in front of me--a few for calculating weapon upgrades and keeping track of XP and multipliers because Square-Enix never bothered to program that stuff into their game to make it visible to the player, one for animation speeds and adjusting attack times, one for good optima set across various parties, one for predicting battle rankings, etc.

why am i playing a game i dont really like much with multiple spreadsheets is this real life

:(

RPGCrazied

Remember that there's another boss around the corner, RPGCrazied. :)

You can still purchase it from Plautus's Workshop.

Also note that I did my platinum run with several spreadsheets in front of me--a few for calculating weapon upgrades and keeping track of XP and multipliers because Square-Enix never bothered to program that stuff into their game to make it visible to the player, one for animation speeds and adjusting attack times, one for good optima set across various parties, one for predicting battle rankings, etc.

why am i playing a game i dont really like much with multiple spreadsheets is this real life

:(

I remember that. The person that won't go away. I'll use the same strat as the last boss and see what happens, lol

Dunan

(some good advice)

Thanks for the useful info -- stuff to keep it in mind if I go back to this game and platinum it before playing the sequel.

The long animations and characters posing for the camera as monsters hit them for damage was pretty off-putting in this game. I too found myself gravitating towards attacks that don't make you have to sit through that.

In my game Fang puts up ludicrous damage and was the first to break the 5-digit barrier, so she got a lot of playing time after an enemy is staggered. Sazh was good at building the stagger meter, so he'd be my go-to guy in the early innings, with Fang and Lightning coming in to close it out.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Not really looking forward to this game, but I will admit, that NA CE edition looks pretty damn nice.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I was wondering where Nora Kisaragi (GAF poster) had disappeared... I had no clue such fanboy'ism existed nowadays :p Thought they all had vanquished around 2009-2010.

edit: is it just me or are the chocobos bigger in this game ._. or perhaps it's Serah being much shorter than Lightning!

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I was wondering where Nora Kisaragi (GAF poster) had disappeared... I had no clue such fanboy'ism existed nowadays :p Thought they all had vanquished around 2009-2010.

edit: is it just me or are the chocobos bigger in this game ._. or perhaps it's Serah being much shorter than Lightning!

I've seen him post often but never what he posted about. How was he a fanboy again? I remember him posting something ridiculous in the xbox limiting games this gen.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I've seen him post often but never what he posted about. How was he a fanboy again? I remember him posting something ridiculous in the xbox limiting games this gen.
I'll PM you so that we don't go anymore off-topic here :)

kayos90

Ugh, I know it's only a month wait for the US version but I don't think I can wait that long...

Thoraxes

I can't stop listening to New Bodhum. So gooooooood. ;___;

I'm surprised Hamauzu doesn't have more of a presense on the soundtrack, though.

Like 18% :/
But it does seem like Mizuta and Suzuki studied up on the aesthetic he created with XIII and they seem to be following it pretty well, so i'm betting that they worked together a bunch, probably by e-mail, a lot.

PK Gaming

Whaaaaaaaaa?

omg. dude.

dude.

Sazh is one of the best characters in the game, and he ended up being in my Gui party a lot (because of his slow casting speed--his first cast is like 1.5 seconds while his subsequent casts are 0.6 seconds apart... his recovery period to initiate ATB gauge refill is pretty short too). His stats are pretty suck, but he makes up for it for being the King of Random Instant Chain.

Sazh's Cold Blood is where he can hit an enemy more times in one turn than any other character (17 times, I think?). Each hit does little damage, but the Cold Blood ability is most useful for RIC. It's the best thing you can use against the Gigantuar. RIC's probability of hitting is like... 0.5%, and that increases every single time you score a hit. So you can easily see why using Sazh's Cold Blood to induce RIC is desirable.

What I like about this ability is that Sazh gets stuck in the animation for a while, so you can still ATB cancel or shift Optima no problem to keep the other characters following your battle plan and he'll keep using it until he's finished. Make him use it again and again to increase the chance that RIC will hit.

I like it a lot better than the others' abilities.

Lightning's Scene Drive or whatever it's called in English is best used when you've Staggered the opponent and are trying to drive the gauge up to 999%. When it gets to 999%, stop using it. The animation is far too long and you can get more damage if you let her use standard attacks because her standard attack animation is fast. It looks pretty, yes, but don't use it after you've built up the gauge to 999% because you're just wasting all the time you have to attack things head-on. Especially against Guis.

Fang's Highwind is best used for a final attack before the enemy's stagger has depleted because the Highwind completely depletes the Break Gauge no matter what. The animation is longer than I'd like it to be because it feels like it's wasting so much time on camera angles and emphasis on making the character look flashy and cool rather than letting the player execute the attack properly in a timely manner. It's annoying, especially for a system built around speed.

Vanille's Death is Death. Best used against enemies that have already been debuffed a lot (so really debilitated) or enemies that don't seem like they have high vitality at all. Its animation is pretty fast so no wonder people use it a lot. I do not think it's a good tactic to use against Tortoises all the time because it's chance-based and it gets boring waiting for it to connect even when using better rods like the Malboro Wand.

Hope's Holy or Last Resort is Holy, but the animation for it is too long for it to be of any use unless you're using it as a finisher.

Snow's Sovereign Fist is kind of useless, imo. I never really found much of a use for it. Animation is pretty short, though. Besides... Snow is just there for support or to be used as a punching bag.

facebook-like-buton.png

Like 18% :/
But it does seem like Mizuta and Suzuki studied up on the aesthetic he created with XIII and they seem to be following it pretty well, so i'm betting that they worked together a bunch, probably by e-mail, a lot.

Yeah, as big of a Hamauzu fan I am, I don't really mind his lack of contributions. I've gotta admit, Mizuta is doing a bang up job. He's definitely made a new fan today, that's for sure.

Miyahon

Does anyone know what song was used in the latest Qore episode?
It's used in the menu where you select to watch their video preview or look at photos.

Thoraxes

Yeah, as big of a Hamauzu fan I am, I don't really mind his lack of contributions. I've gotta admit, Mizuta is doing a bang up job. He's definitely made a new fan today, that's for sure.
Im just rounding up the numbers, so it's not perfect math, but yeah:

Hamauzu: 27%
Mizuta: 46%
Suzuki: 28%

Mizuta must be super happy he's no longer stuck with only XI as his main game/project :p
Aesthetics can only get so constricting after something like that for so long.

You should totally just search through YT on his work with the game. Here's one I really love from Wings of the Goddess: Run Maggot Run!

As usual , you prove by your post that you know a lot of things . Anyway See the part i've quoted ? It's EXACTLY why i think snow is useless ( at all ) in term of gameplay .. i'm not ashamed to say that he was never in my main party outside of experiments to see if he was usefull ..he is not .
Every role in the game is done better by someone else and even his attacks or summons aren't anything special .

Glad i found someone else who hasn't found a good use of Snow's Sovereign Fist

Im just rounding up the numbers, so it's not perfect math, but yeah:

Hamauzu: 27%
Mizuta: 46%
Suzuki: 28%

Mizuta must be super happy he's no longer stuck with only XI as his main game/project :p
Aesthetics can only get so constricting after something like that for so long.

You should totally just search through YT on his work with the game. Here's one I really love from Wings of the Goddess: Run Maggot Run!

I should probably give 4WoL another shot, too...

kayos90

As usual , you prove by your post that you know a lot of things . Anyway See the part i've quoted ? It's EXACTLY why i think snow is useless ( at all ) in term of gameplay .. i'm not ashamed to say that he was never in my main party outside of experiments to see if he was usefull ..he is not .
Every role in the game is done better by someone else and even his attacks or summons aren't anything special .

Glad i found someone else who hasn't found a good use of Snow's Sovereign Fist

Why use Sovereign Fist? Highwind is better. Honestly I tried to figure out how I can use it. Honestly, I just used it if I didn't have Fang and I needed to end the Breaks.

Dunan

Soundtrack listeners: are any of the vocals by Mina Sakai, who did some of them in the original? I'm a huge fan of hers.

Aeana

People used to hold FF10-2's chocobo theme as the standard of worst in the series, but I think we have a new winner.

dramatis

Soundtrack listeners: are any of the vocals by Mina Sakai, who did some of them in the original? I'm a huge fan of hers.
From the existing list on the soundtrack site, there's ORIGA, Honda Michiyo, Joelle, Shootie HG, Frances Maya, and KOKIA.

It's possible one of the hidden tracks has Mina Sakai.

_woLf

This 7 minute rap song is just the worst.

The worst.

Edit: God, the Metal Chocobo song is bad too. What are you doing, Square Enix :( I don't care if they're supposed to be jokes/parodies/whatever, this is just terrible

kayos90

I was listening to Colliding Worlds sample last night. It was awesome, until the rap started....

Yoshichan

I'll just pretend that I didn't click that link.

Maybe it'll grow on me...

Top Bottom