• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 |OT| Change the Future

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Defend like crazy. Also try and debuff whenever you can.

Seriously, keep a defender out at almost all time, then heal when needed. Dual healing if necessary.

I was able to beat the boss. Guess I'll share my strategy:
I used mainly 4 paradigms:

Sab/med
Med/med
Com/rav
Com/com

You need to debuff him when he buffs himself otherwise you won't be able to survive his attacks much. Then proceed to wound him. It's slow but it will work. Heal when necessary. When his HP is less than halfway, proceed to com/rav then com/com.

I was able to beat the boss. Guess I'll share my strategy:
I used mainly 4 paradigms:

Sab/med
Med/med
Com/rav
Com/com

You need to debuff him when he buffs himself otherwise you won't be able to survive his attacks much. Then proceed to wound him. It's slow but it will work. Heal when necessary. When his HP is less than halfway, proceed to com/rav then com/com.

You didn't use a Sentinel? You can cast Wound over and over for minutes before having to switch to a paradigm with Med to heal if you use a Sentinel. Still takes a long time, though lol, but it's a lot easier when he isn't targeting you

Robin64

There's a guide for Chocobo Racing that says to use only items with the prefix "Potent" for levelling up the silver chocobo. Thing is, I've got mine to level 25 already using whatever I had on hand. Have I messed up or does it not make that much of a difference really? If it is messed up, can you get another one?

There's a guide for Chocobo Racing that says to use only items with the prefix "Potent" for levelling up the silver chocobo. Thing is, I've got mine to level 25 already using whatever I had on hand. Have I messed up or does it not make that much of a difference really? If it is messed up, can you get another one?

I have no idea how a chocobo's combat stats affect racing... I've been using all vitality stuff for my silver chocobo, it has over 10k hp at level 38

I hope it isn't something silly like strength = speed and magic = stamina or something

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
You didn't use a Sentinel? You can cast Wound over and over for minutes before having to switch to a paradigm with Med to heal if you use a Sentinel. Still takes a long time, though lol, but it's a lot easier when he isn't targeting you

I only have one sen monster and it's weak, so I had to stick with the meds.

StuBurns

Banned
Does the difficulty ramp up in the last chapter? Because so far, except for going somewhere earlier than I should have, it's been absurdly easy, and I'm not generally good at games, so it's not a skill thing. I thought the fact there's an easy mode would mean normal would be harder than usual.

The weapons that power up depending on how many fragments you have? Or are we talking about other weapons that apparently I don't know about yet? lol

There are weapons that give your characters +1 ATB. They're pretty much the "ultimate" weapons. Those weapons are pretty good though! I'm still using them at 159 fragments...

Yeah once you get the Chaos Crystal weapons you never, ever need to equip anything else for the rest of the game. Maybe something stronger'll come out as DLC; we'll see. But Toriyama kinda seems to like avoiding genuinely 'ultimate' (as in unequivocally better than everything else) sort of equipment, which is too bad because the Mascot and Iron Duke stuff in FFX-2 was pretty neat.
There are weapons that give your characters +1 ATB. They're pretty much the "ultimate" weapons. Those weapons are pretty good though! I'm still using them at 159 fragments...
No, the fragment weapons are better. See how much more powerful they get at 160 fragments - they blow everything else away in terms of stats, and although the chain bonus boost lv5/atb rate+50%/atb+1 weapons all have some nice stuff to offer too, you WILL kill shit faster and harder with the fragment weapons at 160.

Yeah once you get the Chaos Crystal weapons you never, ever need to equip anything else for the rest of the game. Maybe something stronger'll come out as DLC; we'll see. But Toriyama kinda seems to like avoiding genuinely 'ultimate' (as in unequivocally better than everything else) sort of equipment, which is too bad because the Mascot and Iron Duke stuff in FFX-2 was pretty neat.
No, the fragment weapons are better. See how much more powerful they get at 160 fragments - they blow everything else away in terms of stats, and although the chain bonus boost lv5/atb rate+50%/atb+1 weapons all have some nice stuff to offer too, you WILL kill shit faster and harder with the fragment weapons at 160.

I didn't know they would get significantly more powerful at 160, I figured it would just be like adding +1 fragment any other time.

Still filling out my bestiary for that last fragment...

The clock puzzles aren't nearly as frustrating as I thought they'd be. Went through several of them pretty easily without even using that generator. =d

Gregorn

I got this for free when I bought a new PS3 and planned on trading it in for the MGS collection or something, but this thread is making it sound kinda fun.

I <3'd almost every FF apart from XIII and the demo for this was even worse. Is there any chance of me enjoying the full game if I didn't like XIII or the XIII-2 demo?

Well, I have no idea what monsters are missing from my bestiary or how I'm supposed to find them... and I'm not going to use a guide. This is going to be a long search probably

StuBurns

Banned
I got this for free when I bought a new PS3 and planned on trading it in for the MGS collection or something, but this thread is making it sound kinda fun.

I <3'd almost every FF apart from XIII and the demo for this was even worse. Is there any chance of me enjoying the full game if I didn't like XIII or the XIII-2 demo?
I think so certainly. I didn't like the demo, but I'm enjoying the game a lot. You have it, might as well give it a few hours to see if it grabs you, you can't trade-in sealed games anyway.

Well, I have no idea what monsters are missing from my bestiary or how I'm supposed to find them... and I'm not going to use a guide. This is going to be a long search probably

Uh you should probably use a guide for this, just sayin'. Some monsters are incredibly rare spawns or only spawn in certain parts of a map and stuff.

Svafnir

I still have yet to beat the last boss of FF13, does anyone have any tips? I literally have given up for months, and have not gone back to it. So I might be a bit rusty, I just remeber the boss would 1 hit my party leader and I woulda insta die when the boss had like 5% hp life left.

That happened like 10x, so I just gave up. Gonna try tomorrow.... if I can finally kill him, I will go and pick up FF13-2 since I do have fond memories of the combat system. (minus last boss)

Uh you should probably use a guide for this, just sayin'. Some monsters are incredibly rare spawns or only spawn in certain parts of a map and stuff.

Probably =/

I just haven't looked anything up for the rest of the game, so it'd be nice to be able to say "I Platinumed this without a guide!" you know? =P

This kind of information really should be in the game... the bestiary should have blank spots and should be organized by location

EDIT: OR you should be able to look at Dr. M's bestiary and compare it with yours to determine what he has that you don't

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I still have yet to beat the last boss of FF13, does anyone have any tips? I literally have given up for months, and have not gone back to it. So I might be a bit rusty, I just remeber the boss would 1 hit my party leader and I woulda insta die when the boss had like 5% hp life left.

That happened like 10x, so I just gave up. Gonna try tomorrow.... if I can finally kill him, I will go and pick up FF13-2 since I do have fond memories of the combat system. (minus last boss)
Did you equip any Cherub's Crowns on your party leader? I bought and equipped as many as I could for max resistance against Instadeath when I fought it.

Svafnir

I ended up getting that, I think I had like a 60% death resist thing? Died another 2x after getting due to insta death of party leader.

Oh that's a question, is FF13-2 the same way? As in if my party leader dies, game over?

xxczx

I couldn't kill the boss at first but then I did most of the Cie'th missions up until Titan's Trials (Mission 35, I think?) and it was a cake walk but I'm guessing you'll probably won't want to do that :p

Gregorn

I think so certainly. I didn't like the demo, but I'm enjoying the game a lot. You have it, might as well give it a few hours to see if it grabs you, you can't trade-in sealed games anyway.

You can't!? I was keeping it sealed thinking it would be worth a little bit more. I guess I'll be having a Final Fantasy night then.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I ended up getting that, I think I had like a 60% death resist thing? Died another 2x after getting due to insta death of party leader.

Oh that's a question, is FF13-2 the same way? As in if my party leader dies, game over?
Try equipping more than one for more defense against it. If you'd like, I typed up a strategy here for the final boss of FFXIII.

And if your party leader dies, you switch to the other character in FFXIII-2. It's game over when both human characters are no longer alive.

Nohar

Hmmm, interesting : Amodar/Lightning DLC and Serah's weapon Azrael are available as DLC in the EU, on XBOX360 (I guess it's the same for the US).
I don't know if Omega, Brave Embrace and Summoner Garb are also available, since I unlocked them thanks to my pre-order code.

*sigh* I don't like DLC... I won't spend 4$/€ for that, and I'm concerned about the scenario DLC... >.> Tssss. I hope juridictions will stop this.

Goli

Went and battled Yomi once more and my results were as follows:
With Tortoise and with buffed (protect) characters Wicked Whirl damaged each character/monster for anything between 40-60 with each hit.
With just Tortoise, Wicked Whirl damaged each character/monster for anything between 100-160 with each hit.
Without Tortoise and with buffed characters Wicked Whirl damaged each character/monster for anything between 100-160 with each hit.
Without Tortoise or buffs, Wicked Whirl damaged each character/monster for anything between 200-260 with each hit.
When I was with Tortoise and buffed at some point someone blocked one of the hits but since the camera goes all crazy I couldn't really tell who.
The target time was 15:15:00. I finished the fight in 12:18:00 and got 5 stars, on normal mode. I think I could have gotten a better time like the first time if
I hadn't been playing with the Clock Master fragment skill set to speed the game up, but after playing with it for a while I realised I can't go back to the normal game speed, it feels so slow ):

Lain

I still don't have my copy of the game, plus game.uk canceled my preorder of the crystal edition without reason. I'm really, really pissed off at the moment.

FreeMufasa

Really like how Serah/Lightning narrate. It was one of my favourite aspects of FFX.

Loving the game so far; I'm at the part where you meet Hope. God I hope Serah bins Snow for Noel.

mr. puppy

Banned
It instantly justified the Strategy Guide fully. Well, I guess looking online would've worked, but as a guide actually being USED it passed easily.

fuck anybody that makes me go through academia 400 for another fucking stupid fetch quest. this is like Wind Waker 'travel the giant world of stupid on your slow ass boat for triforce' awful.

Zoe

fuck anybody that makes me go through academia 400 for another fucking stupid fetch quest. this is like Wind Waker 'travel the giant world of stupid on your slow ass boat for triforce' awful.

There's only one core there, and you only needed five. You could have skipped it.

Robin64

Academia 400 is just horrible. I wouldn't mind if the fights were worth doing, but even at the level you arrive there, they are absolutely useless.

Reveirg

The Core is right next to the gate you last encountered when leaving the area.... you don't even have to enter any fights, honestly. And the 2nd gate available isn't that far either... 2-3 fights on the way.

squall211

So you don't need all 7 cores to advance the story? What's the point of getting the last two then? Just for the fragments? Or is there something else?

Stuart444

The price for Lightning and Amodar isn't too bad, £1.59 or 240MS points

Not too bad imo.

(I expected worse, like 4 quid or 5 quid.)

hertog

ok help me, I'm stuck

I was just at
The Void Beyond [??? AF] and after that I should be going to Sunleth Waterscape [300 AF]

but it doesn't show up??

StuBurns

Banned
Given the plot, I think it'd be really strange having Lightning in your party. It's not a bad price, but I don't really see the attraction. I'd pay for a Lightning-esque outfit for Serah though.

Top Bottom