• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 |OT| Change the Future

exhume

Do the red outfit pants have that whole retarded no leg separation thing doing on? It's like some nightmare cross between MC Hammer and Aladdin.

LOL, I'm a bit late to the party on the costume conversation, but Noel's pants are meant to resemble Thai fishermans' pants:
short_md001.jpg
AAAADMzO3u4AAAAAAF7mpg.jpg

And his top half is clearly inspired by traditional Indian clothing.

Serah's costume, on the other hand. I'm not sure what happened there...

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Fuck me. I just found out that my fiancee purchased me FFXIII-2 for Valentine's Day. She saw my copy of FFXIII on the shelf and thought I'd want it because of that -_-

I guess it's free and I promised myself I get the game when it was price dropped to ten cents, but I would have preferred Darkness 2 :/

Of course I acted like this when I found out: :D :D JUST WHAT I WANTED YEEEEE :D :D

(Inside my head: "oh god no..." D: )

rofl, looking forward to the inevitable trash can pic.

Amir0x

Banned
rofl, looking forward to the inevitable trash can pic.

I have to be creative. I did throw game in swampy mud water, throw game in toilet, throw game in garbage, throw game under car wheel and run it over... any suggestions? ;)

Nah, I think I'd quite rather innocently 'trade' this away since it was a gift and it'd be fucked up to destroy it :p

PK Gaming

Green Chocobo is the best medic. It has better stats + abilities. The flanitor is a close second, due to his awesome feral link ability. (much easier to get too...)

Darn ninja's

StuBurns

Banned
I traded in Uncharted once, and it was gift from a friend, she came to visit when I was living in uni halls so I hunted around town for a used copy that wasn't the platinum version, and I mentioned the game to her, which I'd cunningly placed on the shelf, and she said she'd never heard of it.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I traded in Uncharted once, and it was gift from a friend, she came to visit when I was living in uni halls so I hunted around town for a used copy that wasn't the platinum version, and I mentioned the game to her, which I'd cunningly placed on the shelf, and she said she'd never heard of it.

lol...

Toki767

That's pretty funny. Maybe she wasn't the one that picked out the game.

neoism

:LOL:LOL:LOL

Target time 11:13

Battle Duration: 11:16

2 stars got her first time. :p :):\ :/

3 bones. :O I will 5 stars it though. Also that noel outfit is fucking stupid.
The one he got one now reminds me of Serge :p

The different tones to the mog's voice annoys me, its like *high pitched* BLAH BLAH BLAH....*gap*....kupo.

Sounds so un-natural. Who put that together thinking it sounded fine? :\

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I have to be creative. I did throw game in swampy mud water, throw game in toilet, throw game in garbage, throw game under car wheel and run it over... any suggestions? ;)

Nah, I think I'd quite rather innocently 'trade' this away since it was a gift and it'd be fucked up to destroy it :p
What did you do with your Kinect?

You have to switch Paradigms 1000 times to get that trophy.
I should just leave it MED/MED/MED for 5 Optimae, and switch them over and over in one battle just to get the trophy and then kill everything. :lol

The different tones to the mog's voice annoys me, its like *high pitched* BLAH BLAH BLAH....*gap*....kupo.

Sounds so un-natural. Who put that together thinking it sounded fine? :\
THIS. THIS. THIS.

Oh my God, that's the thing about Mog's English voice that annoys me the most. The spoken phrases are in English--even the Kupos are in English, but then they decided to use the Japanese kupos in other scenarios like during cutscenes when he's not talking or when you throw him. It's so jarring and the inconsistency is annoying.

Who was the genius who approved that?

mog's voice...... i skip it as often as i can, but sometimes you get the scenes that you have to skip the whole cutscene or nothing. it's even more embarrassing than salsa and beat from eternal sonata.

My GF told me Mog's English voice is Alex from Modern Family apparently.

If they mix it all up with the Japanese Mog voice no wonder it sounds so different and dumb sometimes lol.

Can't believe they would just leave it like that and call it a day.

burgerdog

Okay, so I have 6 out of 7 graviton cores and 3(maybe 2) Wild artefacts with me. Are there any other story sections that require them?

I got to Academia 400 AF and beat the boss, and got to Augusta Tower 200 AF, but I apparently need to go to Augusta Tower 300 AF first. I cannot for the life of find that gate anywhere on Academia 400 AF. I found the one for Yaschas Massif 100 AF.... Help!!

xxczx

I got to Academia 400 AF and beat the boss, and got to Augusta Tower 200 AF, but I apparently need to go to Augusta Tower 300 AF first. I cannot for the life of find that gate anywhere on Academia 400 AF. I found the one for Yaschas Massif 100 AF.... Help!!
To get to Augusta Tower -300 AF-, IIRC there's a gate in Oerba. You might of already unlocked it?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
The gate you need is in Yaschas Massif 01X AF.

You should try to get Sunleth done if you haven't yet already.

Well I finished the game. Final battle was fun. The story, well........ I wont be defending this game.

I'll type up some stuff later. I think XIII was better.

I still think XIII was a better game as well, of course. Be prepared for 20 hour long story games from S-E from here on in most likely. That one year dev cycle for FF games just turns me off.

Zoe

Oh my God, that's the thing about Mog's English voice that annoys me the most. The spoken phrases are in English--even the Kupos are in English, but then they decided to use the Japanese kupos in other scenarios like during cutscenes when he's not talking or when you throw him. It's so jarring and the inconsistency is annoying.

Who was the genius who approved that?

OMG, that's the stupidest thing ever :lol :lol :lol

Toki767

I still think XIII was a better game as well, of course. Be prepared for 20 hour long story games from S-E from here on in most likely. That one year dev cycle for FF games just turns me off.

I don't know that I mind merely a 20 hour long main quest. I found it both nice and sad that I finished the main quest of XIII-2 in a shorter time than it took me to finish the entire tutorial in XIII.

I don't know that I mind merely a 20 hour long main quest. I found it both nice and sad that I finished the main quest of XIII-2 in a shorter time than it took me to finish the entire tutorial in XIII.

A 20 hour tutorial is not a good thing to have.

Ever.

Ever.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
In retrospect, it's like this for me:

Final Fantasy XIII-2 is a better 'packaged' game. It has a lot of stuff I expect in an RPG. Essentially, it's more 'fun' than Final Fantasy XIII. It also has better characters in Noel and Caius. Also the drop rate in this game is awesome. Switch leader speeds up battles.

Final Fantasy XIII is probably the better game when it comes to the scenario, graphics (FFXIII-2 kind of makes me feel nauseous at times with regards to the framerate), and difficulty. I am not the biggest fan of CSB (Command Synergy Battle -- what the XIII battle system is called). Compared to dresspheres, I think it's a little inadequate.

However, what made CSB shine so much was difficult battles. Final Fantasy XIII had the right amount of difficulty in its late-postgame and the Bart battles. It emphasized the importance of Jammer, Enhancer, and Defender to the FF audience--and audience of players who--in my experience--normally did not emphasize buffing, debuffing, and tanking in previous numbered FF installments. The late-postgame battles against the Undying and the Guis made players think about which Optimae to use and equip, what exactly you should equip to get 5-stars for rarer drops, character animation times, efficiency, ability synthesis, watch your stats so that they don't get too high, etc.

In this manner, Final Fantasy XIII's approach to the battle system is superior to Final Fantasy XIII-2's approach. Final Fantasy XIII-2 is too easy (and I'm in the minority who thought FFXIII was also, for the most part, easy outside of Guis casting Ultima consecutively). Final Fantasy XIII had the issue of not supporting CSB adequately for most of the game. Final Fantasy XIII-2 has the issue of not supporting CSB adequately almost at all. Jammer and Enhancer are rendered almost unnecessary outside of the occasional use (and this is because Enhancer was severely gimped in FFXIII-2 to my dismay), while in FFXIII, they seemed to be quite essential in Chapters 9-13 for making battles easier and end faster.

Separating the SEN skills in FFXIII-2 was a little weird to me, too. Making Serah and Noel both tanking-type of SENs struck me as a little odd, especially since Noel lacked Steelguard and Vendetta, and Serah lacked Mediguard (which seems to be essential if you're a tank-type of SEN, imo) and Entrench. The best way to do this was to make Noel a tank-type SEN, and Serah an evade-type SEN (ex: like Lightning and Hope). At least FFXIII's attack distributions seem to make sense. Here, they kind of do and they kind of don't.

Basically, I don't really like the ease of FFXIII-2 because battles ended up being somewhat boring. Even the 'harder' encounters seem easy, and if you're using monsters, battles become a joke. Again, as emphasized in this thread, I generally play games differently from a lot of people, so if I find it easy, some people may not find it easy. So I guess it seems like it's a ymmv type of thing, but from glancing at this thread briefly, it seems as though it is easier than FFXIII outside of the Last Episode (and part of what makes the difficulty ramp up there is because you're so busy using unstrategic and inefficient Optima to get through battles quickly in other episodes), and this is not a good thing for CSB at all.

To conclude, Final Fantasy XIII-2 complements Final Fantasy XIII well. Whether that is a good thing or not is up to you. I don't think either game out of the two stand out at all. Like with FFXIII, I feel a little indifferent towards FFXIII-2. I think both games are middle-of-the-road.

neoism

Thank goodness! Those are a pain in the ass to fight, specially when they stand up, always murdered. I got lucky and got one down before he stood up.

so you have to fight every monster in the game for a fragment... :/ Can you lock the gate and fight that guy again?

Zoe

^ Make sure you cover all floors. Some spots overlap.

Edit: Oh wait, if it's already 100% then I don't know.

xion4360

so you have to fight every monster in the game for a fragment... :/ Can you lock the gate and fight that guy again?

If you mean the proto behemoth, yes. You also need the 3 monsters on the opposite side of that map. Either one or a group of 2 will spawn, so you have to go in twice anyway.

mudkyp

I have the fragment for increased crystal drops and I'm using feral links and now its thursday and I still don't have Lightning. This is my punishment for buying DLC that I shouldn't. I just know it :D

Can you 100% if you fail at a brain-blast quiz? The guide says you can only receive fragments if you answer correctly the first time. I got a 50/50 Heads or Tails question and failed.

Goli

Can you 100% if you fail at a brain-blast quiz? The guide says you can only receive fragments if you answer correctly the first time. I got a 50/50 Heads or Tails question and failed.

wat. You don't have to answer everything correctly the first time, I had to take each quiz like 18651265178265 times before finally getting all 10 it threw at me correctly and still got the fragment for each Brain Blast location.

wat. You don't have to answer everything correctly the first time, I had to take each quiz like 18651265178265 times before finally getting all 10 it threw at me correctly and still got the fragment for each Brain Blast location.

Hrm. I completed one of the locations on my third go-through and it didn't give me a fragment. Or, at least I don't think it did. Lemme go check and see....

EDIT: Weird, I did get it. It didn't pop up....perhaps I'm blind.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I failed some questions and could still redo the challenge, and thus got the fragment for each terminal.

Amir0x said:
oh god *groan* i don't think I can do this... this moogle is going to make me kill a real live person >_<
It begins.

Join the club, Ami. When you get the skill to throw the moogle off a cliff, you'll be happy...

...and then dismayed when you realize that the little brat keeps coming back.

Ricker

I like this game but there's some pretty confusing stuff...I was stuck because I needed one more fragment for that guard in Breshna and that ID thing,which I had and didn't even know...it unlocked Yaschif and Oerba but now I am stuck at the Temporal Rift puzzle on Oerba...I have no idea what to do and they don't even repeat the instructions after the first time...is there a site that explains those annoying puzzles?...looks like I absolutly need to clear this one to progress with the game.

Top Bottom