• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 |OT| Change the Future

UberTag

They're doing DLC characters from other Final Fantasies too right? Chances of Squall, Tifa, Lulu, Auron?
Why would they make those guys DLC? They'd have to create new Hi-Def models of them and everything. That would be hard work. Can't have that.

What you really want to do is play some Dissidia.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
"All single guys are creeps." Thanks for making me feel bad about myself, random NPC :(

Also, fuck the quizzes and their luck based questions.

My favorite NPC is the one who said: "Gosh, you're too pretty to be a man".

benzy

Why would they make those guys DLC? They'd have to create new Hi-Def models of them and everything. That would be hard work. Can't have that.

Why not? They're money makers if they have a huge fan base. Many devs create new models, environments, animations, characters for DLC.

It seems I wasn't daydreaming afterall.

desu

Haha, so Jihl DLC is real, heard about this and other DLC a while ago but still had my doubts that SE would really be trolling this much ... (fuck them! :D).

I am wondering what they will release next, more Colosseum fights or the story DLC...

Well the next colossuem enemy wont be from FF13/13-2 ;).

rataven

Why not? They're money makers if they have a huge fan base. Many devs create new models, environments, animations, characters for DLC.

It seems I wasn't daydreaming afterall.

I think it's more likely that 'friends' is referring to something like the summons, or characters like Biggs and Wedge, rather than stars from previous FFs. It's probably best to keep game specific characters out of the XIII universe, and give us a fresh take on more general, series wide opponents, like Omega.

CorvoSol

Just heard about the Jihl DLC. Seems interesting. Especially since she never even fought in FFXIII.

That said, my hopes for past characters appearing in the Colisseum are Kain, Gilgamesh and Cloud. Those three seem to be all over the place anyway.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Huuuuuuuuuhhhhhh... 53 hours, and all I have are two more fragments to get (and the Serendipitous trophy while I'm at it) and then the final, final ending (for Anomalous).

I didn't have great luck with the Lucky Coin fragment the other day, so I hope I have better luck tomorrow. *chuckle* In a way, I'd rather have Treasure Hunter over this stupid luck-based fragment! :/ (They're equally bad.)

I honestly want to get this plat out of the way because I recently bought Tintin on the cheap. Stump said he thought it was alright, so I want to give it a whirl. Plus I need to get back to my FFMQ and Sonic Unleashed Wii (lololol, Eggmanland, even though I heard the Wii version was better) playthroughs.

bubnbob

Banned
Noel's kind of a hater.

WELL WHATS SNOW GONNA DO, GO BE THE HERO OR SUMTHIN, GOD I HATE THAT CUZ IT REMINDS ME OF ME CEPT ITS NOT ME I AINT LIKE THAT

During Vile Peaks questline:

WELL I GUESS LIGHTNING WOULD JUST RUN OFF HEADFIRST AND DO HER THING YA KNOW? PSH WUTEVR I DO MY OWN THING

Ravidrath

...People actually want an XIII-3?

I'll admit that I had fun playing XIII-2, but... man. The story made even less sense than Kingdom Hearts. Well, until the inevitable Kingdom Hearts game with time travel comes along, that is.

And seeing how low-budget XIII-2 was and how it didn't do that well, I can't fathom how low the budget would be for XIII-3. I'm pretty sure your party would just be Noel and some monsters, and they'd reuse all the bosses again. And it'll be on cell phones.

Noel's kind of a hater.

WELL WHATS SNOW GONNA DO, GO BE THE HERO OR SUMTHIN, GOD I HATE THAT CUZ IT REMINDS ME OF ME CEPT ITS NOT ME I AINT LIKE THAT

During Vile Peaks questline:

WELL I GUESS LIGHTNING WOULD JUST RUN OFF HEADFIRST AND DO HER THING YA KNOW? PSH WUTEVR I DO MY OWN THING

LOL, I like that interpretation, very good.

He does kind of sound like that

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
It'll be really interesting gameplay-wise what will be the gimmick behind XIII-3. We got time-travelling in this one, [possible ending spoilers]
but I'm now seeing the chance of having two dimensions (Unseen World, Visible World) crashing upon each other, so giving us a A Link to the Past type of experience.

Initially I thought they were also going to give us Lightning as protagonist, featuring a full action battle system (it's so fitting for her sword and armor...), solo party, but after the ending I have now doubts. Will Noel be again the main character? Just change his ugly weapons if so, please Square.

Oh, and 30 fps are mandatory. No excuses for the third time.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Lol, maybe they will have that as a DLC side story.

Noel has got to be a major character in XIII-3 anyway, and I doubt Noel and Snow will want anything to do with eachother
I think it's supposed to be novelized as opposed to DLC.

But, lol, that's true. I kinda wanted them to duke it out. Ah well.

Noel ftw. Love that guy. Hate Snow.
*brofist* Way more developed and tolerable than Snow.

It's inevitable. I didn't really want it, and I don't think I'm really interested in it at this point.

It'll be really interesting gameplay-wise what will be the gimmick behind XIII-3. We got time-travelling in this one,
but I'm now seeing the chance of having two dimensions (Unseen World, Visible World) crashing upon each other, so giving us a A Link to the Past type of experience.

Initially I thought they were also going to give us Lightning as protagonist, featuring a full action battle system (it's so fitting for her sword and armor...), solo party, but after the ending I have now doubts. Will Noel be again the main character? Just change his ugly weapons if so, please Square.

Oh, and 30 fps are mandatory. No excuses for the third time.

Hehe, nice job spoilering that after you posted it Perfo.
I think that would make for a great gameplay "gimmick", it has been a while since I've played a game that does it.
I hope that if they do that, the areas have some sort of connectivity (like, if I'm in Yaschas Massif and want to get to Archylte Steppe, I just have to travel down some path, with a fast travel method unlocking later in the game of course).

Also, I agree Noel's weapons are ugly, I wish he didn't have that weird sword within a sword thing

EDIT: I think Snow had a lot more character to him in XIII, compared to what they did with him in XIII-2 where he's just a hothead and that's all there is to him. I think they used the word hothead like 10 times in the game in reference to him or something.
Sure, even in XIII, he's not exactly a likeable guy, you kind of want Hope to get his revenge, but I really like what they did with/how they used his character in XIII

Ravidrath

Why is it whenever they do a -2 they get all crazy, throw tonality out the window and start putting feathers in everyone's hair?

Consistency really isn't that difficult.

Tizoc

I wouldn't say I want a 3rd game, but if one does come out...depending on impressions I may get it used.

I like Snow, he's a dudebro, but I like Noel more I'd say. The game should've been about him going back to the past and change events so that mankind survives and through them Etro/Light becomes powerful enough to defeat Caius.
Throughout his quest in the various locations and timelines he teams up with a different member+1 monster, so in some timelines it'd be Sazh with his own set of Paradigms, in another maybe Gadot, and in another Lebreau, etc.
Oh and as we play we learn that
Caius is serving an evil god; the anti-Etro, who wants to destroy Etro in order to recreate the world in his image. Where Etro's world would achieve peace for manking eventually through the ages, the anti-Etro/Chaos God's world would be an endless cycle of violence, wars and despair.
Yeah I seem to have taken some ques from FFX but come on, this sounds a lot more sensible than whatever we got in XIII-2 ^_^;

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Noel hates Snow for being an idiot. I agree with him.
Serah just needs to face the facts and trade up, even if Noel's younger than her.

Hehe, nice job spoilering that after you posted it Perfo.
I think that would make for a great gameplay "gimmick", it has been a while since I've played a game that does it.
I hope that if they do that, the areas have some sort of connectivity (like, if I'm in Yaschas Massif and want to get to Archylte Steppe, I just have to travel down some path, with a fast travel method unlocking later in the game of course).

Also, I agree Noel's weapons are ugly, I wish he didn't have that weird sword within a sword thing
I dunno. Chrono Cross (semi-ending spoilers for FFXIII-2, I guess)
didn't even do that sort of thing very well. And given than Toriyama does some weird stuff with time travel, I wonder if he could even handle alternate dimensions

Speaking of Fast Travel, this game really needed it sometimes. Archlyte Steppe did it well with the Cactuar Waystones. Academia needed the darn TTC or something so it'd make exploring there to look for Daddy Bear easier. (Seriously, why build escalators instead of public transport like the subway or something? Who was in charge of this city? Who approved the funding for that?)

hamchan

Speaking about a XIII-3, after enjoying this game so much I wouldn't mind getting one eventually. It's time to take a break from this universe though. Time for Versus XIII to come out (lol).

Good point, Schala, but if we're going to limit Toriyama to what he might be good at doing, what are we left with?

Academia is funny, there are actually a few NPCs that will complain about the confusing layout of the city when you run by them.

Holy shit, that didn't take long. Hit Super Victory Mode on the slots. Got a good 15000 coins so far. And a fragment! :O

See, being lazy as hell DOES work!

bubnbob

Banned
I wouldn't say I want a 3rd game, but if one does come out...depending on impressions I may get it used.

I like Snow, he's a dudebro, but I like Noel more I'd say. The game should've been about him going back to the past and change events so that mankind survives and through them Etro/Light becomes powerful enough to defeat Caius.
Throughout his quest in the various locations and timelines he teams up with a different member+1 monster, so in some timelines it'd be Sazh with his own set of Paradigms, in another maybe Gadot, and in another Lebreau, etc.
Oh and as we play we learn that
Caius is serving an evil god; the anti-Etro, who wants to destroy Etro in order to recreate the world in his image. Where Etro's world would achieve peace for manking eventually through the ages, the anti-Etro/Chaos God's world would be an endless cycle of violence, wars and despair.
Yeah I seem to have taken some ques from FFX but come on, this sounds a lot more sensible than whatever we got in XIII-2 ^_^;

This is very by the books and boring... might as well be a Tales game

Ravidrath

Speaking about a XIII-3, after enjoying this game so much I wouldn't mind getting one eventually. It's time to take a break from this universe though. Time for Versus XIII to come out (lol).

Yeah, while I am being sarcastic, I am honestly conflicted.

On the whole I enjoyed XIII-2, but the story and minigames and filler timezones... well, basically everything new this installment were pretty terrible. The only saving grace was the battle system.

I felt burnt enough by the story (and the ending in particular) that I'd be pretty hesitant to buy XIII-3.

And with it looking like there's another two years in this generation, and XIII-2 taking about two years to develop, I wouldn't be surprised if they did an XIII-3 to try to wring as much out of that engine as possible. Probably do some Transfarring shit with Vita, too.

Tizoc

My fav. part of XIII-2 were the anamoly puzzles, only ones that ticked me off were the timed Clock puzzles that change when u select Retry. Otherwise I enjoyed them~

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Holy shit, that didn't take long. Hit Super Victory Mode on the slots. Got a good 15000 coins so far. And a fragment! :O

See, being lazy as hell DOES work!
I am super-jelly right now. :/

Good point, Schala, but if we're going to limit Toriyama to what he might be good at doing, what are we left with?

Academia is funny, there are actually a few NPCs that will complain about the confusing layout of the city when you run by them.
Toriyama directed Final Fantasy X-2 and that was good (even the light politics between the three factions were nice). And as stated countless times, Wall Market's parts were good. He should stick to the silly, light-hearted stuff.

As for Academia, I wonder if the devs/scriptwriters were trying to send players a subtle message when the NPCs are saying stuff like "where's the store?", "this city's like a maze!", etc. lol.

EDIT: I think Snow had a lot more character to him in XIII, compared to what they did with him in XIII-2 where he's just a hothead and that's all there is to him. I think they used the word hothead like 10 times in the game in reference to him or something.
Sure, even in XIII, he's not exactly a likeable guy, you kind of want Hope to get his revenge, but I really like what they did with/how they used his character in XIII
I guess I don't really go for guys like Snow. I find them irritating, lol. I found his dialogue and personality a bit intolerable. At least the English version of Snow was more tolerable with Troy Baker voicing him, though.

On the whole I enjoyed XIII-2, but the story and minigames and filler timezones... well, basically everything new this installment were pretty terrible. The only saving grace was the battle system.
If they make XIII-3's battle difficulty as easy as XIII-2's, then gosh... I dunno. I sincerely hope they implement a hard mode or something if they decide to keep the difficulty the same.

I honestly prefer FFXIII's late-game and postgame/late-postgame battles to anything in FFXIII-2, even Attila/Raspatil, Yomi, and
Grand Cross Caius in Void Beyond
. The XIII battles were more fun and engaging than the XIII-2 battles, and I used just a Noel/Serah party for almost the whole game.

I hope they jack up the difficulty in XIII-3, or at least provide a hard mode for experienced players if they're using CSB again.

lol, I wouldn't expect anyone with a brain to go for a guy like Snow... poor Serah :(

I'm a total noob to Final Fantasy, so I'm not familiar with X-2 =P
but yeah, if he's good at that, bring on more of it I say
I know I really loved
A Link to the Past and Metroid Prime 2's dimensional stuff. I would be really happy if we could see stuff on that same level in XIII-3, it's too bad if that's really that unlikely

I really liked XIII, though, I actually have more complaints about XIII-2 than I do about XIII. Love them both, though.

oh hay hit super victory mode again

HUAHUAHUAHUAHUAHUAHUAHUAHUAHUA

lol damn I had no trouble with slots when I played, but you are really lucky!

edit: I'm calling it now, they'll take the "XIII-2 is easy" complaints as a good reason to implement hard mode in XIII-3 as $3 DLC.
I'll buy that DLC day 1...

Why would there even be a XIII-3 when Toriyama has stated otherwise in regards to the ending and said its just made like that for more story DLC?

Why would there even be a XIII-3 when Toriyama has stated otherwise in regards to the ending and said its just made like that for more story DLC?

The DLC is supposedly supposed to cover stuff that happened during the game, not actually continue from where the ending left us. So, that would still leave the story wide open and unresolved.

Top Bottom