• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 |OT| Change the Future

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Oh yes, got that stupid Lucky Coin fragment.

Now to decide whether chocobo racing or slots would provide a viable shot at getting Serendipitous. Seeing 95% on that trophy gauge makes me feel good inside.

Aeana

Now to decide whether chocobo racing or slots would provide a viable shot at getting Serendipitous. Seeing 95% on that trophy gauge makes me feel good inside.

I raced my chocobo for about an hour and got that trophy without even knowing what it was. I just wanted coins for the wild fragment and chaos crystal. I got about 10k coins via racing and bought the rest with the money I got from selling collector catalogs to Chocolina.

rataven

You're so close to plat! I got lucky, heh, with the Serendipitous trophy. Tried the slots for fun, and kept hitting the jackpot, and then the super jackpot or whatever it's called. Maybe took a total of 10, 15 minutes?

What is driving me nuts is the paradigm shifting trophy. Thought for sure I'd get that naturally, but nothing's popped yet.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Slots for the care free method of getting that trophy.
Tried it for several hours, couple more couldn't hurt.

I raced my chocobo for about an hour and got that trophy without even knowing what it was. I just wanted coins for the wild fragment and chaos crystal. I got about 10k coins via racing and bought the rest with the money I got from selling collector catalogs to Chocolina.
And if slots fail, I think I'm going to switch to the chocobo racing. More entertaining than watching the game play itself or sleeping/working on notes/readings.

Did you use a powered-up chocobo build (ie: the silver chocobo with all the nice stuff added to it like Blue Streak, etc.), or did you do it for fun with a regular chocobo? I have a pretty beefed up Silver Chocobo right now (with some infusion, not all of the recommended stuff), but if it isn't too risky, I could jump in without infusing stuff.

You're so close to plat! I got lucky, heh, with the Serendipitous trophy. Tried the slots for fun, and kept hitting the jackpot, and then the super jackpot or whatever it's called. Maybe took a total of 10, 15 minutes?

What is driving me nuts is the paradigm shifting trophy. Thought for sure I'd get that naturally, but nothing's popped yet.
I ended up going into a battle against fodder with 5 Med/Med Paradigms and one Com/Rav Paradigm and just switching between Med/Med over and over until the trophy popped.

Everyone's getting lucky with the Serendipitous trophy but me. :(

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
That probably is about an hour worth of Chocobo racing then.
Seems like I earned about 5000 coins while playing something else on another console. Edit: Holy crap, my total went up immensely. What happened between when I was groaning about it and now? :O

Dumb question: does the trophy pop when you exit the slots? I would stop it, but it's still in Super Victory Mode and doesn't have any signs of stopping. I should've brought some 'corn for poppin'.

Success! Now to beat the game again and the plat will be mine tonight.

5HU91.jpg

MBison

Ok I just finished Academia 400 AF and it says "are you sure you want to go on" at the gate? Well, more like are you ready.

I assume I can still go back and open up optional areas and stuff even if I go on from here. I just dont want to be in a not-going-back situation.

thanks.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Can someone explain the process to get the slots to win while not playing the game? :p
That would be helpful. lol
The game has an automated system where you can hold down L1 and the slots play themselves. I put a tight scrunchie over L1 cuz I couldn't find an elastic.

The coin profitability from winning slots is actually decreased when you play them automatically, but it doesn't matter as long as the machine's mood is "it's like a hot summer's day!" because the profitability is still about 98-100% even if you autoplay. The odds of winning are higher if the machine's mood is high.

Edit: Beaten twice.

MBison said:
Ok I just finished Academia 400 AF and it says "are you sure you want to go on" at the gate? Well, more like are you ready.

I assume I can still go back and open up optional areas and stuff even if I go on from here. I just dont want to be in a not-going-back situation.

thanks.
If you go on, you'll just initiate a string of events that need to play themselves out and you won't have access to the Historia Crux for a little bit. The events don't take that long, and you'll still have access to a shop when you're there, but if you want to level up (if you feel like you aren't ready) and complete sidequests prior to moving on, don't move on ahead. You'll still be able to go back and open stuff up after those events take place, though.

Edit: I dislike double-posting, but done after 59 hours (most of those hours were spent doing slots for who knows how long).

lEpxD.jpg

I had to blank out part of the pic because I didn't want to spoil locations.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Congrats Schala! First plat?

How I wish there was a console Suikoden that I'll plat to hell. ;_;

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Congrats Schala! First plat?

How I wish there was a console Suikoden that I'll plat to hell. ;_;
Thanks. Nah, I'm not a stranger to getting plats, especially if they're RPGs since I go out of my way for completion in those anyway (though I should really start playing my Japanese games on my NA account to get the plats over there as opposed to keeping them on my JP account. I don't know why I started doing that). Star Ocean 4 is an exception to the rule.

I'm *very* close to getting Nier's plat but I kinda lost patience when I did the DLC over and over again to gather materials and get 50K gold every time. I really should go for it, though. Seeing the 74% on that one bugs me.

Oh, I was going to plat Neptunia too until I started feeling that the game was boring, and stopped a while in. A shame too because the plat is easy to get, but it's just really really long.

This is why Suikoden VI needs to be released. I'd definitely get the plat for that. Heck, I'd take a Suikoden compilation with trophies. *salivates*

StunandStab said:
Congrats on the Plat, Schala. Hopefully you have better luck with simulated gambling in the future =P
Thank you. If FFXIII-3 has slot machines which are obviously rigged and you have to play them, I'm going to be ticked. Worst minigame ever.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The game has an automated system where you can hold down L1 and the slots play themselves. I put a tight scrunchie over L1 cuz I couldn't find an elastic.

The coin profitability from winning slots is actually decreased when you play them automatically, but it doesn't matter as long as the machine's mood is "it's like a hot summer's day!" because the profitability is still about 98-100% even if you autoplay. The odds of winning are higher if the machine's mood is high.

Edit: Beaten twice.

Ah cool, it's something to think about when I have more cash at least! Thanks guys!

Coming from a player who never touched the FFXIII: I'm not feeling this. at all.

- Character design is mediocre at best and some of the Nomura designs are starting to look hilarious.
- Story and dialogues are bad. The story is absurd and the conversations are as if they're being spoken by semi-retarded people.
- The graphics are nothing to shout about, though some of the in-game cinematic scenes look really impressive.

I'm glad they seem to be taking examples from other games to improve, but it seems like Square has lost it with Final Fantasy.

Esura

Banned
Coming from a player who never touched the FFXIII: I'm not feeling this. at all.

- Character design is mediocre at best and some of the Nomura designs are starting to look hilarious.
- Story and dialogues are bad. The story is absurd and the conversations are as if they're being spoken by semi-retarded people.
- The graphics are nothing to shout about, though some of the in-game cinematic scenes look really impressive.

I'm glad they seem to be taking examples from other games to improve, but it seems like Square has lost it with Final Fantasy.

Um...what Nomura designs? Didn't he only like design the faces for the FFXIII series? It seems like he is the go to person to complain about when it comes to criticizing a FF game.

Toki767

Nomura did not design the clothing. Only the faces of characters.

The story and dialogue can be pretty bad, but the dialogue can be so bad that it ends up being good.

The graphics just scream quick development time on a budget. The FMVs are still great though.

Um...what Nomura designs? Didn't he only like design the faces for the FFXIII series? It seems like he is the go to person to complain about when it comes to criticizing a FF game.

This is of course true - he did only design the faces - but I think it'd also be silly to ignore the general effect he's had on the art direction of the series - and the 1st Production Department in general. If you're an up and coming artist he's the most successful and therefore the one most are going to strive to emulate, and it's visible in a lot of their games.

You can also hardly blame people for not knowing this when the title screen of the game proclaims CHARACTER DESIGN BY TETSUYA NOMURA in text as big as the words Square Enix. That, too, says a lot. Aesthetically I find FF13-2 fine for what it is, which is very anime-looking - more so than FF7 was, for instance. But people are levelling the complaint against the public figure whose name is attached to design on the title screen of the game. Is that surprising?

Go_Ly_Dow

I really liked the final boss battle though, it was very well done. Difficulty was fun, required most of my paradigms and it had a really epic feel to it.

Yeah, I went in unprepared for my first attempt so the battle was pretty hectic and tense.

Loved it.

Whose idea was it to put like 80 rift puzzles in Oerba 300 and 400?

I enjoyed the clock and some of the crystal collection ones.

The connect the dot puzzles are so ridiculously easy and straight forward, that they seem pointless.

Esura

Banned
This is of course true - he did only design the faces - but I think it'd also be silly to ignore the general effect he's had on the art direction of the series - and the 1st Production Department in general. If you're an up and coming artist he's the most successful and therefore the one most are going to strive to emulate, and it's visible in a lot of their games.

You can also hardly blame people for not knowing this when the title screen of the game proclaims CHARACTER DESIGN BY TETSUYA NOMURA in text as big as the words Square Enix. That, too, says a lot. Aesthetically I find FF13-2 fine for what it is, which is very anime-looking - more so than FF7 was, for instance. But people are levelling the complaint against the public figure whose name is attached to design on the title screen of the game. Is that surprising?

Its not Nomura having a general effect on the art direction of the series, its Japanese media that affects and inspire them mostly, something which has been stated in an interview awhile back for FFXIII and XIII-2 (I need to look for the article). Anyone who watches current anime and mangas can instantly tell that the artists at Square are extremely inspired by them. Actually, I know in particular that Serah was supposedly inspired by Mari from the Rebuild of Evangelion movies and her outfit was inspired by the plugsuits. I remember reading that somewhere.

Just bothers me that the man gets so much blame for stuff he isn't responsible for. lol

Esura

Banned
Fuck the slot machines. FUCK THEM!

Serendipity is the single reason I'm not going to even bother trying to plat this.

I like Nomura designs too but people often criticize Nomura for costume designs that aren't his. I follow Nomura's work closely considering he is my inspiration for my artwork.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Just beat it. I actually liked the ending, though I can see why others wouldn't. I liked how epic the last string of bosses were, but it seemed insanely hard to me considering the rest of the game was piss easy. Ended up taking 21 minutes on the last fight after golding the rest, lol.

burgerdog

Do I need to kill immortal, ochu, and long gui for the yomi quest to appear?

edit
Oooh. Ochu dropped Gandiva for Serah.
Chain bonus lv5

How do I unlock the Oerba 400 gate in Augusta Tower 200? I got the wild artifact but it won't let me in, says there's another artifact I haven't got but I've been going up and down the tower for an hour looking for it.

orion434

Can someone enlighten me to the easiest way to get gil in the game? So Far Don Tonberry drops a Sacralite that I can sell for 18K. Takes 2-3 mins per battle... I assume there is a better place to gain gil.

I'm having a hard time deciding on what to do first post-game. Infusing is also giving me headache... I want to make an uber Silver Chocobo Sentinel. What 10 essential abilities should I infuse?

Goli

How do I unlock the Oerba 400 gate in Augusta Tower 200? I got the wild artifact but it won't let me in, says there's another artifact I haven't got but I've been going up and down the tower for an hour looking for it.

I'm not sure what your problem may be... but the gate is not for Oerba 400 AF, 300 AF rather. You unlock 400 AF from 300 AF.

Quadratic

This a weird request. I bought the NA collector's edition. It comes in a really nice box but I'd much rather have a regular case to store my game in. To anyone who got the steelcase preorder and is willing to sell me the empty plastic ps3 case send me a PM and we'll work something out. I live in Canada.

laika09

Can someone enlighten me to the easiest way to get gil in the game? So Far Don Tonberry drops a Sacralite that I can sell for 18K. Takes 2-3 mins per battle... I assume there is a better place to gain gil.

Kill Yomi with a couple Durable Collectors' Catalogs... that's like 144,000 gil for under 10 minutes to kill him and respawn him. I got like 3 million while going for my trapezohedrons.

orion434

Kill Yomi with a couple Durable Collectors' Catalogs... that's like 144,000 gil for under 10 minutes to kill him and respawn him. I got like 3 million while going for my trapezohedrons.

This sounds like a plan... can I buy the Durable Collector's Catalogs?

Top Bottom