• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 |OT| Change the Future

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Sorry to take this off topic, but which jrpg has the best combat system?
Check out my post in this best battle systems thread. (Hint: Graces and Valkyrie Profile 2 are on there.) :D

You should also buy it because, well, it's an incredible game.
It's weird how people always talk about buying Graces like they're taking one for the team, so they can get the game they really want. I don't understand why so few people actually want Graces.
Something something friendship friends forever something something Vesperia PS3 something something Xillia. Though I still wonder if people are still illogically boycotting Graces for Vesperia PS3.

It's too bad, because Graces is the more cohesive game out of both it and Xillia. I liked it more than Xillia (which I already liked). Not to mention that Graces is so bloody fun on Chaos Difficulty.

Esura

Banned
Well if you only have a PS3. You are kind of fucked in my opinion.

Hopefully you have Valkyria Chronicles but it's not really inline with party based RPGs.

Well, he still got Hyperdimension Neptunia, Ar Tonelico Qoga, Atelier Rorona, Totori, and Merimu coming soon.

If he is willing to go beyond standard JRPGs and play some SJRPGs you got Agarest War Zero, Disgaea 3, and Disgaea 4.

Well you have those Gust and Nis games.

Some people like them......,.
I love them. Some of my favorite JRPGs this gen are made/published by NIS. Aside from FFXIII I'd rank Neptunia high up too.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Last Remnant Last Remnant Last Remnant
People who dislike TLR or refuse to try it out have no idea what they're missing. The battle system is so delightfully fun, and the PC version is extremely competent. And the soundtrack kicks ass.

Rahxephon91 said:
Well you have those Gust and Nis games.
Those games are really hit-and-miss for me. Some of them are good and I have no problems getting through them, and some of them are ones I just can't get into at all. Same goes for Idea Factory.

Esura said:
Aside from FFXIII I'd rank Neptunia high up too.
I really wanted to like Neptunia, just for the SEGA references, but I ended up getting bored halfway through. -_-

Esura

Banned
I really wanted to like Neptunia, just for the SEGA references, but I ended up getting bored halfway through. -_-

I love the dialog, English voice acting, and just the overall cuteness of Neptunia. Only one thing absolutely bothered me in the game though and that you can't heal yourself. That's like RPG 101. Who thought randomizing healing was a good thing?

People who dislike TLR or refuse to try it out have no idea what they're missing. The battle system is so delightfully fun, and the PC version is extremely competent. And the soundtrack kicks ass.

My only gripe is that TLR was pretty short story-wise. I spent 100+ hours on it because I actually felt a desire to do the side stuff, but if you ignore the side stuff, the main storyline itself is pretty short for a jRPG. That and the lack of budget starts to show itself, with re-used areas (you go through the 'final dungeon' three times throughout the entire game) and monsters filling it all up. And the ending being as open-ended, out of left field, and cliffhangerish as it was doesn't really help.

However, it's still probably one of my best jRPG reccomendations this gen. The pros absolutely outweigh the cons.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
i cant find valkyria chronicles anywhere

on topic: how the heck do i beat atlas without weakening him?
I have a feeling that SEGA gave that game a low print run. It's pretty hard to find now.

In order to beat hard Atlas (and I'm assuming that you're leveled up some and at least maxed a few roles at lv 99), I'd recommend:
Noel/Serah/Monster
RAV/RAV/SEN
RAV/RAV/SEN (this is for ATB-cancelling; if you want to replace this with a SYN/SYN/SEN or SYN/MED/SEN paradigm and make it your default paradigm when you start the battle, go right on ahead)
MED/MED/COM (make the chain gauge stabilized while you heal up)
COM/RAV/COM (wear him down while the chain gauge is increased, but not necessarily staggered; I found that his chain resistance was pretty high)
COM/RAV/MED (wear him down while you're healing up)
SEN/SEN/SEN (switch to this whenever he uses his clap attack or any other attack for that matter; watch his animations closely)

Treat him like a Long Gui. By that, I mean watch his animations and see when he's going to hit you and immediately switch to SEN/SEN/SEN. I did this with Noel and Serah, so I had to have the SEN bonuses + Fringeward on them, but since you're probably using monsters, the monster must have Fringeward as an ability to reduce AoE attack damage.

Equip Black Belts on people if you're having trouble against physical attacks. But just remember to switch to SEN/SEN/SEN when he attacks.

Finished the game. 145 fragments. I'm content.
Are you going to get some of the Paradox Endings? Some of them are pretty good.

I love the dialog, English voice acting, and just the overall cuteness of Neptunia. Only one thing absolutely bothered me in the game though and that you can't heal yourself. That's like RPG 101. Who thought randomizing healing was a good thing?
LOL, I sound picky, but I'm really not that picky. I do like the jokes, but I don't really like the VA in either language. I liked the summons too, but again--SEGA references were nice. I just found that the battle system, dungeon/sidequest exploration, and the irritating 'heal by chance' thing a little boring. :/

My only gripe is that TLR was pretty short story-wise. I spent 100+ hours on it because I actually felt a desire to do the side stuff, but if you ignore the side stuff, the main storyline itself is pretty short for a jRPG. That and the lack of budget starts to show itself, with re-used areas (you go through the 'final dungeon' three times throughout the entire game) and monsters filling it all up. And the ending being as open-ended, out of left field, and cliffhangerish as it was doesn't really help.

However, it's still probably one of my best jRPG reccomendations this gen. The pros absolutely outweigh the cons.
Yeah, if you don't do the quests, the game might feel too short. But everything else about the game like recruiting leaders and soldiers, grouping them into "unions" and issuing commands was nice. I thought the morale gauge was quite inventive as well. I had fun with it.

burgerdog

I have a feeling that SEGA gave that game a low print run. It's pretty hard to find now.

In order to beat hard Atlas (and I'm assuming that you're leveled up some and at least maxed a few roles at lv 99), I'd recommend:
Noel/Serah/Monster
RAV/RAV/SEN
RAV/RAV/SEN (this is for ATB-cancelling; if you want to replace this with a SYN/SYN/SEN or SYN/MED/SEN paradigm and make it your default paradigm when you start the battle, go right on ahead)
COM/RAV/COM (wear him down while the chain gauge is increased, but not necessarily staggered; I found that his chain resistance was pretty high)
SEN/SEN/SEN (switch to this whenever he uses his clap attack or any other attack for that matter; watch his animations closely)

Treat him like a Long Gui. By that, I mean watch his animations and see when he's going to hit you and immediately switch to SEN/SEN/SEN. I did this with Noel and Serah, so I had to have the SEN bonuses + Fringeward on them, but since you're probably using monsters, the monster must have Fringeward as an ability to reduce AoE attack damage.

Equip Black Belts on people if you're having trouble against physical attacks. But just remember to switch to SEN/SEN/SEN when he attacks.
Haha, I beat it with
sen/sen/sen
rav/rav/com
med/med/com

Another incredibly disappointing boss.

MechaX

I... I... I am in shock right now.

I was getting bored with the enemies in the game but I didn't feel like going off to fight the final boss yet. I was like "I have been hearing how tough the final boss is, but there has to be an enemy in the game that will give me a thrashing. Let me fight Long Gui, the thing always did some 30k damage ultima at the start of the round in original XIII, so maybe this thing will be a challenge, or at least some super tough enemy to set my goal for in the post-game."

... And I end up 5 staring the boss and get the Giant's Fist trophy in the battle as well. With shitty monsters to boot.

Game, this isn't funny anymore.

Aeana

I was getting bored with the enemies in the game but I didn't feel like going off to fight the final boss yet. I was like "I have been hearing how tough the final boss is, but there has to be an enemy in the game that will give me a thrashing. Let me fight Long Gui, the thing always did some 30k damage ultima at the start of the round in original XIII, so maybe this thing will be a challenge, or at least some super tough enemy to set my goal for in the post-game."

... And I end up 5 staring the boss and get the Giant's Fist trophy in the battle as well. With shitty monsters to boot.

Long Gui was easy, Yomi was a bit harder. But yeah, the game is really easy.

burgerdog

The weakest oretoise in 13 is harder than 13-2's Long Gui.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Haha, I beat it with
sen/sen/sen
rav/rav/com
med/med/com

Another incredibly disappointing boss.
These were mine:

RAV/RAV - increase gauge
RAV/RAV - increase gauge (ATB cancel)
COM/RAV - Attack with Com because Noel's better with that anyway
SEN/SEN - when he attacked
SEN/MED - if I got in trouble
COM/MED - stabilize gauge while healing

MechaX said:

I know that feel. I am extremely disappointed with the Long Gui battle in this game. It was a joke. The FFXIII battles against the Guis are much preferred.

You should fight Raspatil. It was actually kinda nice. Yomi was much easier than the Vercingetorix version in FFXIII, and the faux-Attacus battles were just as disappointing in comparison to the real thing from FFXIII. I really dislike that they gimped my favourite FFXIII boss. :/

The weakest oretoise in 13 is harder than 13-2's Long Gui.
I knooooowwww... :(

Neki

Noel/Serah/Monster
RAV/RAV/SEN

Are you going to get some of the Paradox Endings? Some of them are pretty good.

LOL, I sound picky, but I'm really not that picky. I do like the jokes, but I don't really like the VA in either language. I liked the summons too, but again--SEGA references were nice. I just found that the battle system, dungeon/sidequest exploration, and the irritating 'heal by chance' thing a little boring. :/

Yeah, if you don't do the quests, the game might feel too short. But everything else about the game like recruiting leaders and soldiers, grouping them into "unions" and issuing commands was nice. I thought the morale gauge was quite inventive as well. I had fun with it.

I didn't think Atlas was hard, weird. I beat him with only one level 80 role on Noel and Sarah, and a couple of 30-40 roles. I just ran RAV/RAV/RAV, COM/RAV/RAV, SAB/COM/RAV and SEN/SEN/MED. Was running out of wound potions and potions near the end of the battle though. Having a SEN/SEN/SEN would have really helped though, lol.

Meier

Sigh.

The FMV during the longass Lightning reunion makes me sad there isn't more of it. FF's FMV is so amazing.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I wonder if Dark Schala could play ToS2 without monsters, lol.
A No Monster Run for Knight of Ratatosk isn't as fun as you may think (since it makes fights longer as opposed to making them more challenging), but using the ToS characters as bait is nice. The battle against
Alice and Decus
on Hard was pretty exhilarating without monsters. Though monsters (read: 'bait') seem like a staple on Mania/Unknown. I'd have to try out a no monster run on Unknown, but I imagine that it wouldn't be very fun at all.

Though you have to recruit more monsters to make Emil stronger, and the overall monster growth system was pretty fun to tinker with when you figure some of it out.

MechaX

And... Yomi's down. Having the boss just be like "I'm invincible haha!" every 10 seconds was kind of irritating. Got the trophy, but still pretty disappointed.

If all that is left is that one other monster Dark Schala mentioned, I think I'll just do that and beat the game tomorrow.

mudkyp

Yeah this game is mad easy. I have beaten all the hard boss enemies and five starred them all on my first try. Once you hit max level the game becomes a joke. I haven't infused any of my monsters and I'm not using any special accessories. Still super fun though.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Damnit...shut up with your "this game is so easy" I died several times already and I'm only at 10AF. LOL

Uh.... which world is that and what boss? You'll die but that's probably because you didn't expect it or something. It's easy but it has random weird spikes.

But that's one of the only good things about that game!

I agree. Monster mechanic was so fleshed out compared to XIII-2. Ugh. Namco nailed it years ago. Wtf.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Uh.... which world is that and what boss? You'll die but that's probably because you didn't expect it or something. It's easy but it has random weird spikes.

Died a few times last night on Aloeidai, the first boss in Yaschas Massif 010 AF. His attacks that cause Wound and his LandShatter attack he uses when you've cut his health down a bit keep owning me.

kayos90

Died a few times last night on Aloeidai, the first boss in Yaschas Massif 010 AF. His attacks that cause Wound and his LandShatter attack he uses when you've cut his health down a bit keep owning me.

What paradigms are you using? Also, what monster roles is your Pack?

RedAssedApe

Banned
What paradigms are you using? Also, what monster roles is your Pack?

COM/COM/COM
RAV/RAV/RAV
SEN/SEN/SEN
MED/MED/MED
COM/RAV/MED
SAB/SYN/MED

Using Cait Sith for cure and esuna, one of the owl looking things for RAV, and one of those robot things for SEN. One of those wolf looking things for COM. Is it even worth using SAB/SYN? And is there anything that will help reduce the damage I take when he uses Landshatter? He pretty much wounds me to the point where healing does help anymore as he can one-shot me.

kayos90

COM/COM/COM
RAV/RAV/RAV
SEN/SEN/SEN
MED/MED/MED
COM/RAV/MED
SAB/SYN/MED

Using Cait Sith for cure and esuna, one of the owl looking things for RAV, and one of those robot things for SEN. One of those wolf looking things for COM. Is it even worth using SAB/SYN? And is there anything that will help reduce the damage I take when he uses Landshatter? He pretty much wounds me to the point where healing does help anymore as he can one-shot me.

You should be winning the fight then... How are you going about engaging the fight?

kayos90

And here some of us were thinking that the mechanics in FFXIII-2 were going to be similar to ToS2.

Gosh I wish... XIII-2 is dumbed down, streamlined, and casual-ized. Well... in some ways it's complicated. XIII-2 is what I like to call Bipolar.

kayos90

Rewards in this game is meaningless unless you're talking about a sense of accomplishment/completionist. Even in this aspect it's not good because the extras are sort of barebones.

Top Bottom