• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 |OT| Change the Future

Nohar

It seems I'm doing everything wrong, I made the Green Chocobo my main Medic and Serah is a backup, she's Med Lv 99 and I think I unlocked her Sab Role Yesterday, not sure tho.

Well, the Green Chocobo is an excellent healer with the correct abilities, and will overshadow both Serah and Noel with ease if you train him right :)

Also : Haste and Hastega doesn't exist in this game, you can't cast them, period :'( Serah is an awful TAC, and Noel can only cast defensive buffs (but since he can cast them on the whole party, it's great - just be sure to enter the commands manualy, the auto-battle fonction is crap, and will pretty often offer you to cast the single target spells instead of the group ones).

see5harp

So the side quests in this game don't really add to any character development or plot (ala FF6, FF7, etc)?

Most of the ones I've done thus far seem pretty half baked and aren't really integrated into the story at all. Like you travel to the future to find hidden Flan that then start destroying the crystal pillar. It's probably pretty tough to integrate a lot of this stuff into the storyline because of the already convoluted and silly storyline. The time travel stuff is a blessing and a curse (but mostly a curse).

burgerdog

What do you mean with "the correct abilities"? I don't want to fuck it up :-/

Monster infusion and don't worry about messing up, you can capture it again. One other thing, you do not have to play with serah as a rav and noel as a com. I focused on str nodes so for me they're insane commandos, I only ever use rav to stagger an enemy that MUST be staggered to kill. I used 3x com for nearly the entirety of the game, it's that powerful/game is that easy.

Nohar

Yup, you can't mess up with the Green one, so don't worry :)

By the way, if you equip one of your character with the medecine code (I would need to check the english name to be honest), the accessory which enhaces your regular Potions, you can heal your whole party quite easily without having to change your roles (it's not optimal, but it's instant, and it's a very handful and useful way to heal your team).

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The Serendipity slots just might be the dumbest minigame I've ever seen. I noticed it started to repeat some patterns on autoplay and decided to try manual, same stuff. I got the same exact slot outcome seven times in a row, manually stopping it with different timings and button presses. Why did they have to tie a fragment to this crap... -_-

burgerdog

The Serendipity slots just might be the dumbest minigame I've ever seen. I noticed it started to repeat some patterns on autoplay and decided to try manual, same stuff. I got the same exact slot outcome seven times in a row, manually stopping it with different timings and button presses. Why did they have to tie a fragment to this crap... -_-

7 hours and still no fragment for me. I need that fragment to platinum.

glaurung

Tried the Lightning DLC fight at the Coliseum for the first time, got smoked bad once she summoned backup.

Also, learned that the Strategist trophy requires 1000 Paradigm Shift shifts. A piece of me died inside.

Otherwise still having fun, though the game is a lot easier beyond a certain point in character development. I am barely into... I don't know, maybe one third of the Crux and I already have both characters at lv99 main role and ~70 second role. Still running with a maxed out first Ravager monster you can collect.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
7 hours and still no fragment for me. I need that fragment to platinum.
That is such crap! The slots are probably the dumbest minigame I have ever experienced, and if you want 100% completion for it, you have to play them. I hope you have better luck when you try them out again. I know that feel. :(

Now if you could earn the fragment by doing the Chocobo races, then that would've been fine because that sort of thing is seems reasonable to win. Slots are chance-based, and there's no way to absolutely ensure that you'd win (not even with the FFXIII item and the "It's like a hot summer's day!" quote from the hostess). They truly seem rigged against the player. Pain in the ass.

Papercuts

That is such crap! The slots are probably the dumbest minigame I have ever experienced, and if you want 100% completion for it, you have to play them. I hope you have better luck when you try them out again. I know that feel. :(

Now if you could earn the fragment by doing the Chocobo races, then that would've been fine because that sort of thing is seems reasonable to win. Slots are chance-based, and there's no way to absolutely ensure that you'd win (not even with the FFXIII item and the "It's like a hot summer's day!" quote from the hostess). They truly seem rigged against the player. Pain in the ass.

The whole "mood" of the machine is also a stupid mechanic. Obviously no one is going to play when she says it's having a bad day, it just wastes time as you leave and come back.

RPGCrazied

It's out now... for $3.

They added another costume? Last time I looked it was only the Lightning fight and the Noel Battle outfit. Serah didn't have anything listed. I noticed they will sell weapons too. At least it has a weapon section in the DLC menu ingame.

RedBoot

Where did we learn that "hot summer's day" was the best mood for the slots? I put something like 7000 coins into the machines over three sessions with that mood, and never got more than 2 777's. Then I tried it once when the machine was "on fire," and after about 45 minutes I'd gone from 5000 coins to 17,000, along with the fragment and trophy. Obviously, luck is luck, so there's no real proof there, but on fire just sounds like it'd be better than hot summer's day.

rybrad

Having two locations entirely filled with those freaking paradox mini-game puzzles is infuriating. These things aren't even hard (yay for clock cheating) and just feel like a lazy effort to add content.

Ricker

Just finished Academia and it wasn't as bad as some of you where making it sound...once I got the beat of getting the preemptive strike in,I killed those easy zombies on that strike so it wasn't so bad...I liked that it made for some quick/rushing action through the whole section...of course,once I got out and saw I had 1 out of 13 fragments,I can see how it could get annoying but I am not aiming to find all the 160 fragments anyway...

One thing I'm wondering though,I got the fragment skill unlock and the extra Mog throw thing but when I go to turn it on,I can't? it says off all the time...also about the Mystic,I'm pretty sure I had 2 maps explored at 100% but couldn't figure out how to show her?

Thoraxes

Just finished Academia and it wasn't as bad as some of you where making it sound...once I got the beat of getting the preemptive strike in,I killed those easy zombies on that strike so it wasn't so bad...I liked that it made for some quick/rushing action through the whole section...of course,once I got out and saw I had 1 out of 13 fragments,I can see how it could get annoying but I am not aiming to find all the 160 fragments anyway...

One thing I'm wondering though,I got the fragment skill unlock and the extra Mog throw thing but when I go to turn it on,I can't? it says off all the time...also about the Mystic,I'm pretty sure I had 2 maps explored at 100% but couldn't figure out how to show her?

Move up to where it says the ability after clicking on it; the option above off. It's not just On/Off, it's item description/off

StuBurns

Banned

That's just terrible UI design. You have to click on the ability name above Off, which basically means On.

Locke_211

I'm kind of enjoying the clock puzzles... I've done 3 sets of them, including one with timed ones and one with 12 spaces. Do people here actually get the basic mechanics of them? If you think just 2 or so goes ahead, they're fairy easy. There is usually one number that will make both hands stop on the same, opposite circle to the number, so do that first.

Maybe I'm only liking them because I was told so strongy that they're ridiculous.

I got and completed this last week, here's my thoughts for anyone still on the fence;

+Good overall style, I was never sold completely on how FFXIII looked (even down to the menus) but it seems to have grown on me with XIII-2
-Performance wise and general visuals are a rather big step down from the original (I'm speaking purely about the PS3 versions) One thing I did miss is the gorgeous CG cutscenes, there just isn't enough of them!
+Good overall length, I got about 50 hours out of it - 145 fragments or so (I don't really care for trophies) Didn't feel like it overstayed it's welcome like some RPGs can
+The freedom to explore and some none-linearity in plot progression is very welcome!
-Not enough unique locations, if you do all of the sidequests you're visiting some places upto 4 different occasions in the timeline, needed a bit more variety
-The gimmicks, the minigames, the clock puzzles, the brain blaster, the slots - they were all shit
+Music and voice acting overall is fantastic. My favourite track plays near the games beginning (New Bodhum) The soundtrack is both unusual and refreshing, it was also nice to hear some FFXIII themes pop up (like the battle theme) Mog's voice is the weakest of the cast, by far
+The characters are actually likeable this time! Even the villain
+Battle system is as solid as XIII was, the Monster recruitment allows you to be either hands off, or involved - which is good for hardcore players or people just coasting through the story
-Given the non-linear nature of the story, it's a bit hard to make sense of events as they happen, the writing is ambiguous (Toriyama lol)
+The ending is AMAZING! Provided it's not a cynical ploy to ensure we all buy overpriced DLC to find out what happens next, and we actually get an FFXIII-3, then it's one of my favourite endings in FF - completely ballsy and unexpected, I loved it

I was one of the people who could never make it through XIII, I have both the Japanese and English version, even imported FFVII ACC to play the demo of it! But I couldn't force myself through it, the pacing was brutally slow and linear and I couldn't warm to any of the characters. XIII-2 is the opposite to that, so I now have more confidence in SE and the FNC mythology itself.
I'd probably give it an 8/10
I look forward to a sequel!

turnbuckle

I'm kind of enjoying the clock puzzles... I've done 3 sets of them, including one with timed ones and one with 12 spaces. Do people here actually get the basic mechanics of them? If you think just 2 or so goes ahead, they're fairy easy. There is usually one number that will make both hands stop on the same, opposite circle to the number, so do that first.

Maybe I'm only liking them because I was told so strongy that they're ridiculous.

Yeah, they're not too bad if you start thinking about it. When I begin a puzzle I first look for a number that has the fewest "paths" that will lead to it. There will many times be a number that has only one or no other numbers that will lead to it.

I'm not quite sure how to 'win' the slot machines.

I went when its mood was best, had like 16k coins just auto'd for hours until I was down to like 5k then gave up.

Are you just supposed to do it then reset everytime that happens?

I didn't save it so didn't lose the coins, but just checking if I had the right idea but 16k -> 5k is 'normal' happenings.

Chocobo racing is slower but at least I can win that, but slots seemed better cause need the fragment.

I'm like 50hrs into it and still on Chapter 4 hehe, I can't help doing side things or trying to get as many fragments as I can before moving on.

burgerdog

I'm not quite sure how to 'win' the slot machines.

I went when its mood was best, had like 16k coins just auto'd for hours until I was down to like 5k then gave up.

Are you just supposed to do it then reset everytime that happens?

I didn't save it so didn't lose the coins, but just checking if I had the right idea but 16k -> 5k is 'normal' happenings.

Chocobo racing is slower but at least I can win that, but slots seemed better cause need the fragment.

I'm like 50hrs into it and still on Chapter 4 hehe, I can't help doing side things or trying to get as many fragments as I can before moving on.

It's completely random. Even if you lose coins you are still working toward that 7,777 number. It took me around 9 hours of winning little by little to get it. I could afford to lose the coins and not reset it, though. Don't bother with the slots for the fragment unless you are going for 160 fragments. Even then, wait until end game.

Yea I'm going for 100%, I think I'll just wait till the end then and throw money at it for the slot fragment.

As far as the achievement for coin winnings goes though, the only options are getting lucky with the slots/resetting till you get lucky or slow and steady at Chocobo races?

I don't mind if have to reset and its just stupid luck based crap, just wanted to make sure it was normal to go 16k -> 5k sometimes, I wasn't making any progress at all lol.

Papercuts

It seems like when people win on the slots, they do it within the first hour or so. I don't even start with a very high amount, I've just been resetting after I lose a few thousand.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
In spirit of Valentines here's a good laugh
395467_372885786074062_100000579313614_1323671_1242542705_n.jpg

B.K.

In the final area and just ran into a
Managarmr
. I can't beat it no matter what I do. That thing is impossible.

Top Bottom