• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 |OT| Change the Future

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
They change mysteriously when you first see her.
TIME TRAVEL. Or they like magical girl anime, I dunno.

Her change in clothes can be related to disturbances in the timeline; something that the game tries to convey to the player implicitly again and again. Though that's a bit of conjecture on my part.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
25 hours? That's pretty short. Does it have a better story than XIII and 3rd Birthday at least?

Square seems to be delivering the goods on their second go around and I would really like to finish XIII before making my purchase, but I still have so much left and the game has in no way clicked with me. Will I be missing out on anything that amazing if I skip out on finishing it? When did it really "click" with anyone?

UberTag

Square seems to be delivering the goods on their second go around and I would really like to finish XIII before making my purchase, but I still have so much left and the game has in no way clicked with me. Will I be missing out on anything that amazing if I skip out on finishing it? When did it really "click" with anyone?
For me, FFXIII didn't click for me on the gameplay front until Gran Pulse in Chapter 11. All of the optional bosses and sidequests truly took that battle system to another level of appreciation.

Everything prior to that was merely a preamble with a somewhat engaging story.

What's interesting is that I consciously avoided doing anything to advance the storyline at that point until I literally ran the table on quests and trophies. The very last thing I did in FFXIII was beat the final boss and experience the ending of the game.

For me, FFXIII didn't click for me on the gameplay front until Gran Pulse in Chapter 11. All of the optional bosses and sidequests truly took that battle system to another level of appreciation.

Everything prior to that was merely a preamble with a somewhat engaging story.

What's interesting is that I consciously avoided doing anything to advance the storyline at that point until I literally ran the table on quests and trophies. The very last thing I did in FFXIII was beat the final boss and experience the ending of the game.

How much time does gran pulse take of the full game time? Its pretty big too right? I just cant stand all of the corridors. Is gran pulse the last area before the final boss too?

UberTag

How much time does gran pulse take of the full game time? Its pretty big too right? I just cant stand all of the corridors. Is gran pulse the last area before the final boss too?
FFXIII is 13 chapters long and you can blaze through Gran Pulse quickly if you choose to. But as someone who took the time to unlock everything and clear every quest & every trophy I easily spent more time playing FFXIII AFTER reaching Gran Pulse than I did clearing the 10 chapters prior to it. If you're sick of corridors and being led down a railed linear storyline, it's just about the complete opposite of all of that and boasts quite a bit of content.

Here's a map of Gran Pulse for reference - doesn't spoil a thing - how many corridors do you see? - and yes, every thing marked on this map is marked for a reason: http://www.geocities.jp/kouryakubo/ff13/chart/image/112_gran-palse.gif

If you haven't reached Gran Pulse then you really haven't played FFXIII.
And you certainly shouldn't be skipping that experience to jump ahead and pony up an additional $60 on FFXIII-2.

The 360 version, a 1 disc game?
The X360 version of FFXIII-2 is indeed only on a single disc.

FFXIII is 13 chapters long and you can blaze through Gran Pulse quickly if you choose to. But as someone who took the time to unlock everything and clear every quest & every trophy I easily spent more time playing FFXIII AFTER reaching Gran Pulse than I did clearing the 10 chapters prior to it. If you're sick of corridors and being led down a railed linear storyline, it's just about the complete opposite of all of that and boasts quite a bit of content.

Here's a map of Gran Pulse for reference - doesn't spoil a thing - how many corridors do you see? - and yes, every thing marked on this map is marked for a reason: http://www.geocities.jp/kouryakubo/ff13/chart/image/112_gran-palse.gif

And this is just the Archylte Steppe... there's more than just that (including several optional dungeons).

The X360 version of FFXIII-2 is indeed only on a single disc.

Wow that looks pretty promising. A little ridiculous to sludge through 10 chapters to get to it though, but I will definitely give it a try. Will be nice to have a JRPG in the ps3 again, well... aside from Dark Souls that is

RPGCrazied

Tempted to just get the regular version after all this negativity, but I still want that sound track. Plus the CE guide is sexy as fuck, it'll look good with the XIII CE guide I have on the shelf.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Tempted to just get the regular version after all this negativity, but I still want that sound track. Plus the CE guide is sexy as fuck, it'll look good with the XIII CE guide I have on the shelf.
I'm still getting the CE for the OST (because it's way cheaper than importing it)...

...and now the artbook because I genuinely like some of the level designs (wait, this game's main genre isn't "platformer"... lol) area design. I'm hoping that, even though the artbook we're getting is tiny, there might be some area designs in that.

I don't get the length complaints. I beat the final boss of 13 in 34 hours despite grinding for a while on Gran Pulse and doing about 10 side missions. A few hours shorter doesn't seem bad at all, especially since the game begs to be replayed.

burgerdog

Wow that looks pretty promising. A little ridiculous to sludge through 10 chapters to get to it though, but I will definitely give it a try. Will be nice to have a JRPG in the ps3 again, well... aside from Dark Souls that is

Now that I think about it, Gran Pulse just has that one big hub and all other sections of it are linear corridors. You can hop on a chocobo and see entire area in ~10minutes. If you decide to do all marks/grind for all the weapons then get ready to spend 50+ hours in that area.

Toth

Let's not forget that most of the streamers finished in around 25 hours and one ended up at 125 hours getting all the fragments, while another was 70+.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
For anyone who speaks french, great in-depth first impressions of the game here : http://www.ffworld.com/?rub=news&page=voir&id=2211

Basically, he seems really impressed by the environments, music and gameplay, but not too sure about the story after ~10 hours. This seems to reflect other impressions we've read around here.
Reading videogame article en français is quite interesting, particularly since it's Parisian French and they make up some interesting words (and the French I'm usually exposed to is crazy Quebecois French where half of the sentence comprises of English, lol). :O

Mmm? Did they translate Historia Crux as "Cœur de l'Histoire" for the French version? Heart of History. Cute.

La mise en scène de certains segments de la bataille a de quoi laisser bouche bée tant elle ne lésine pas sur les panoramas spectaculaires et les acrobaties périlleuses : c'est bel et bien Advent Children jouable !
Well... you could kind of say the same thing of FFXIII. However... (and this doesn't apply to FFXIII or FFXIII-2, but generally) concentration on glitz and glam isn't always fabulous. I do have to say one thing about the cinematic actions, though... I don't know how else they could do it, but I don't like how the buttons pop up during cutscenes because they're so big. But again, I dunno how they can pull it off while remaining unobtrusive.

Les seules réserves dans cette liberté concernent le niveau de difficulté, qui est un peu élevé si on se jette à l'assaut de certaines zones trop tôt.
Basically, this says that if you go to some places too early, the difficulty is much higher. So essentially, it's like FFX-2 (ie: certain places are more difficult than others). But it's entirely possible to go to other areas that are less difficult.

Rongée par un chaos ressemblant au vaste univers étoilé et accompagnée par une chanson céleste et nostalgique, l'une des zones emblématiques de FFXIII se trouve par exemple magnifiée de la plus belle des manières.
Wow... I like the area designs, but this reminds me of that one thread about reviews and overembellishing (I'm talking about the "heavenly song" bit).

Lors des discussions, le joueur est fréquemment invité à participer en sélectionnant une réponse parmi plusieurs propositions... Il arrive même qu'elles coupent l'action dans son élan, réduisant grandement la fluidité du déroulement.
This is true. Whenever they [live triggers] cut in, the music and everything else just stops. It's kind of jarring.

Avec cette liberté, l'histoire est fatalement difficile à cerner malgré la scène d'ouverture explosive. On sent le risque qu'elle ne soit pas si captivante en fin de compte, et le peu de personnages principaux n'est pas très rassurant même si Serah et Noel forment un duo plaisant et si la présence lointaine de Lightning la rend plus charismatique encore.
Oh my... I wonder what they're going to end up thinking of the narrative in the end, then. They think that Noel and Serah make a nice duo, though.

Reveirg

and the French I'm usually exposed to is crazy Quebecois French where half of the sentence comprises of English, lol. :O

Not all of us Quebecois speak/write like that!! =D

Wow... I like the area designs, but this reminds me of that one thread about reviews and overembellishing (I'm talking about the "heavenly song" bit).

Though Heavenly is the direct translation to "Céleste", it really doesn't have the same connotation though. The way he uses the word, it's mostly characterizing the mood of the song, not the quality. Though for other parts of the review, your point stands.

This is true. Whenever they [live triggers] cut in, the music and everything else just stops. It's kind of jarring.

Yeah from video clips I've seen, music/sound stopping really seems to cut the mood in a weird way...

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Perfo, you've gotta do what I did for The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword--stay the hell away from other fora for weeks, and don't even watch any trailers, screens or watch the official sites for news!

Honestly, staying out of Zelda threads for the months leading out of release, staying off of YouTube, not listening to the music on YouTube until finishing the game, staying away from Zelda sites... best thing I did for the game. While some people disliked it, I really loved it because a lot of things came as a surprise to me.

Yes, that is what I was trying to do, infact I haven't seen all the trailers this time (compared to XIII where I've seen them all, highly spoilerish) but forums can still be a menace with spoilers lol. I guess I'll have to try to stay away from official topics like this one, even if everyone is trying their best to not give away spoilers, the risk is always there for someone to make a mistake. I guess I'll try to stay away as much as possible from this topic then T.T
I'll miss you guys...

PS: I'll just pass by to read Kagari's review at best, then see you all on 3rd feb '12!

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
LOL Square Enix... now doing console exclusive weapons:

LOS ANGELES (Dec. 20, 2011) – Square Enix, Inc., the publisher of SQUARE ENIX® interactive entertainment products in the Americas, today announced that a new piece of content has been added to the downloadable content (DLC) list for FINAL FANTASY® XIII-2. The new DLC, a bow weapon for Serah called “Azrael,” has been created through a collaboration between Square Enix and Microsoft, and will be available exclusively for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, on Jan. 31, 2012.

Azrael is named after an angel who represents spirits and death. It is believed to possess the power to change the owner’s destiny, and the player’s Chain Bonus will upgrade when equipped. You can purchase this weapon from Chocolina, the merchant, in Episode 2 or beyond in the main game for 80 Microsoft Points via the Xbox LIVE® Marketplace for Xbox 360. Only Serah has the ability to wield this legendary weapon.

Reveirg

Game design, art and programming to be precise.
I guess a Star Ocean 5 or Valkyrie Profile 3 is not out of the question now.
Also, how come the FF team is unable to make decent RPG game design by itself?

One has to wonder if this is not the same kind of deal that was made between Tri-Ace and Konami. In exchange for Tri-Ace's help on one of S-E's games, S-E publishes and helps Tri-Ace with one of their own projects (VP? SO?)

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Not all of us Quebecois speak/write like that!! =D

Though Heavenly is the direct translation to "Céleste", it really doesn't have the same connotation though. The way he uses the word, it's mostly characterizing the mood of the song, not the quality. Though for other parts of the review, your point stands.
lol, I know--my French instructor in uni never did that, even when she was having conversations with other instructors who did it. A lot of my boyfriend's friends and coworkers do it in rapid conversation, though, and it's just funny. Even one of my high school French teachers (who wore a different Canadiens jersey every week just to troll the Leafs fans in our class, lol) did it too, even while he was teaching us. D:

And ah, I see. I thought he was talking about the quality given how the rest of the review seems to be written. Good to know. :D

One has to wonder if this is not the same kind of deal that was made between Tri-Ace and Konami. In exchange for Tri-Ace's help on one of S-E's games, S-E publishes and helps Tri-Ace with one of their own projects (VP? SO?)
Huh. You know, now that you bring that up, I wonder if Tri-Ace is going to help out with the new Suikoden game then, since that article about "Konami lost their RPG know-how" popped up, and yet they're making Frontier Gate with them. Given how the battle system for the new game is a little different from normal Suikoden titles, I wonder if they're going to help out with that. Or maybe it might just be coding or art direction. Anyway, it's off-topic and I won't delve into this here...

PS: I'll just pass by to read Kagari's review at best, then see you all on 3rd feb '12!
Nah, some people in here seem to be trying to spoil text what they think, so maybe stick around for a little but just skim? FF fan forums, GameFAQs and other places seem like spoiler bombs, though. D:

LOL Square Enix... now doing console exclusive weapons:
Oh wow... amazing. If the weapon has the Chain Bonus UP ability, then... uh, don't other weapons have that ability in this game? I think they do. Might just up stats, then.

Zanasea

Mmm? Did they translate Historia Crux as "Cœur de l'Histoire" for the French version? Heart of History. Cute.
I find it pretty lame, actually.

Well... you could kind of say the same thing of FFXIII. However... (and this doesn't apply to FFXIII or FFXIII-2, but generally) concentration on glitz and glam isn't always fabulous. I do have to say one thing about the cinematic actions, though... I don't know how else they could do it, but I don't like how the buttons pop up during cutscenes because they're so big. But again, I dunno how they can pull it off while remaining unobtrusive.
No, actually, you could not say that about FFXIII. I know they wanted to achieve that with the battle system but the opening of FFXIII-2 is something else. It's a really well-done and almost seamless blend of CG sequences with actual battle gameplay and QTE fights. You didn't have that in XIII. Also, this only concerns the opening; this is the reason why it leaves a lasting impression. As I say in the impressions, after that the pace of the game slows down and there are not so many QTEs.

Music and art direction are two things I highly value in video games; in that respect, FFXIII and XIII-2 are everything I ask for. Oerba, since this is what I am referring to here, is a place I have fond memories of and the mood of the village when you first visit it in XIII-2 is so beautiful and surreal I was really moved. I'm not a reviewer and it's only a fansite so I'm not trying to sound objective. (Also, as Reveirg said, céleste simply means aerial/ethereal here)

I'm glad I could provide you with some French français but I'm not Parisian, thank you :p

mocoworm

Final Fantasy 13-2 Xbox 360 exclusive DLC revealed

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-12-21-final-fantasy-13-2-xbox-360-exclusive-dlc-revealed

Square Enix has announced Xbox 360 exclusive DLC for Final Fantasy 13-2.
It is a weapon called Azrael, which can only be used by character Serah. Azrael is a bow weapon designed through collaboration between Square Enix and Microsoft.

The downloadable content launches on 7th February 2012 - four days after the release of the game - and costs 80 MS Points.

The official blurb on Azrael:
"This weapon is named after an angel who represents spirits and death. It is believed to possess the power to change the owner's destiny, and your Chain Bonus is upgraded when equipped. Serah alone has the ability to wield this legendary weapon. The player can obtain this weapon from Chocolina merchants, from Episode 2 onwards in the main game for 80 Microsoft Points via Xbox Live Marketplace for Xbox 360. Only Serah has the ability to wield this legendary weapon."

A trailer showcasing the weapon is below, alongside some nifty screenshots.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
How long is the game compared to FFXIII?

Kagari finished it in 25 hours without rushing. FFXIII can be completed 35-40 hours without fleshing out the Cie'th Mission.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I find it pretty lame, actually.
So did I, lol. I was being a little tongue-in-cheek. Are the French subtitles usually accurate for the original Japanese, btw? I'm actually kind of interested now that it's been brought up.

No, actually, you could not say that about FFXIII. I know they wanted to achieve that with the battle system but the opening of FFXIII-2 is something else. It's a really well-done and almost seamless blend of CG sequences with actual battle gameplay and QTE fights. You didn't have that in XIII. Also, this only concerns the opening; this is the reason why it leaves a lasting impression. As I say in the impressions, after that the pace of the game slows down and there are not so many QTEs.
You'll get a little more QTE bits as the game goes on. But I was more pointing to FFXIII's battle system as an example. FFXIII-2 battle system also does this with the acrobatic animations, the uh... I'll call them "Hi-Ougis" since that's kind of what they are, and with the QTEs for the monster synchrodrive.

The only thing that gets me about the intro is the framerate drops (I know that can't be helped when making decisions for the QTE bits). Otherwise, Lightning,
Noel
and Caius's CG models look nice. :/

Music and art direction are two things I highly value in video games; in that respect, FFXIII and XIII-2 are everything I ask for. Oerba, since this is what I am referring to here, is a place I have fond memories of and the mood of the village when you first visit it in XIII-2 is so beautiful and surreal I was really moved. I'm not a reviewer and it's only a fansite so I'm not trying to sound objective. (Also, as Reveirg said, céleste simply means aerial/ethereal here)

I'm glad I could provide you with some French français but I'm not Parisian, thank you :p
Point taken. I thought the impressions as a whole were a really positive spin on the first few hours of the game, when I've noticed that there have been mixed reactions here and there about some of the same parts, so based on context, I made the connotation. Regardless, it was a very detailed piece. I hope you put more impressions up towards the end.

And sorry about that (seriously, I feel bad). Most of the texts they use for French university classes over here emphasize Parisian French overall, so whenever I see delicate phrases in French, that's what I think. I should really start calling it something else. "Standard French" (the unofficial technical term in linguistics - SF, or as they call it here, "le français international") sounds boring, though. "Bescherelle French" could work.

shiroryu

lol@ending. WTF Square, you went Bioware with this one.

OT title change to Change the Future
With DLC!

I may still get this way down the line if the gameplay is fun, though.

It's a correct translation but way too literral..it's within this time that the people localizing rpgs should understand that you don't need "THAT" part translated .

I hope historia crux stay historia crux in the french version , even when i'm not planning to buy this version myself.
( i HATE les VERSION FRANCAISES INTEGRALES )

Zanasea

So did I, lol. I was being a little tongue-in-cheek. Are the French subtitles usually accurate for the original Japanese, btw? I'm actually kind of interested now that it's been brought up.
I have yet to perfect my irony detector. I haven't played XIII-2 in French but XIII was not so good. Most of the subtitles sounded too familiar, even ridiculous at times.

Point taken. I thought the impressions as a whole were a really positive spin on the first few hours of the game, when I've noticed that there have been mixed reactions here and there about some of the same parts, so based on context, I made the connotation. Regardless, it was a very detailed piece. I hope you put more impressions up towards the end.
I won't play the game again until the EU version releases. I can understand a bit of Japanese but I'd like to play it with a language I fully understand. But based on the first 8 hours I'm really fond of the art direction and worldview, and the gameplay was perfectly fine to me.

And sorry about that (seriously, I feel bad). Most of the texts they use for French university classes over here emphasize Parisian French overall, so whenever I see delicate phrases in French, that's what I think. I should really start calling it something else. "Standard French" (the unofficial technical term in linguistics - SF, or as they call it here, "le français international") sounds boring, though. "Bescherelle French" could work.
Please don't feel bad, I was only joking. You probably know in France, there is this cold war between Paris and the "Province".

And I'm afraid to say Historia Crux will be Cœur de l'Histoire in the French version.

Toth

So 525k first 3 day sales. Seems pretty low but I am not sure they were expecting a huge amount given how other mega titles have not been exceedingly strong as late. Also, they may be experiencing some tepidity from fans unsure of how good the good is after their individual experiences with 13 and with the so far positive reviews from players, I expect to see a nice rise. I do expect some big international numbers.

I am wondering if SE is planning to make more profit from the DLC than the actual game.

RPGCrazied

Pretty low? It's just out in Japan. Wait until Feb, that number will be in the millions, easily. DLC exclusive stuff isn't new. I'm glad its just a weapon, and not story content. I want them to talk more about that story DLC they have planned. I'm sure Sazh is going to be featured in that.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty low? It's just out in Japan. Wait until Feb, that number will be in the millions, easily. DLC exclusive stuff isn't new. I'm glad its just a weapon, and not story content. I want them to talk more about that story DLC they have planned. I'm sure Sazh is going to be featured in that.

FF games are always front loaded...So we probably won't see much of an increase. UNless people were waiting for others to play and see if the game is good.

ULTROS!

Though I'm buying this game, this sequel was definitely not needed... And a lot of FF fans were like
raised_eyebrow.gif
when it was announced thus the low sales.

Toth

FF games are always front loaded...So we probably won't see much of an increase. UNless people were waiting for others to play and see if the game is good.

Yeah pretty much. That's why it's a bit surprising but even SE was not expecting this title to do that. Aside from the story 'issues', the game is getting some good feedback from people who royally disliked 13 so that should draw some people back in.

Top Bottom