• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 |OT| Change the Future

7Th

Pretty sure Nomura has said that there would be no love story in Versus. It's more about the friendship between Noctis & his friends.

No, no. I'm pretty sure Versus will be about
fujioushi-driven bro-
love, just like Kingdom Hearts.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Pretty sure Nomura has said that there would be no love story in Versus. It's more about the friendship between Noctis & his friends.
I'm hoping this isn't true...

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Why? A love plot in a Square-Enix game has always been a terrible thing.
For you maybe. I for one loved the romantic parts of FFVIII and X. I found the relationship between Squall and Rinoa more interesting than the bullshit that was the other part of the plot in that game. And I didn't give a shit about Sin destroying the world, but I did care for Tidus and Yuna.

Foffy

Banned
For you maybe. I for one loved the romantic parts of FFVIII and X. I found the relationship between Squall and Rinoa more interesting than the bullshit that was the other part of the plot in that game. And I didn't give a shit about Sin destroying the world, but I did care for Tidus and Yuna.

In both of those games, such plot developments were done pretty poorly and forced on the player with no weight to it. It's like it just..happens in both games, I thought. It's still probably done with more compelling conviction than the main plots of both of those games, regardless. :p

Yoshichan

In both of those games, such plot developments were done pretty poorly and forced on the player with no weight to it. It's like it just..happens in both games, I thought. It's still probably done with more compelling conviction than the main plots of both of those games, regardless. :p
You're wrong. Neither Squall/Rinoa or Tidus/Yuna felt forced. Forced? Look at some of the other shitty JRPGs out there but not Final Fantasy. Heck, Squall fucking despised being near Rinoa half the game.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Both FFIX and FFX's love stories worked, imo. Translating the final line to "I love you" in FFX was probably one of the best decisions Alexander O. Smith made. FFIX's love slowly, but naturally, grew from friendship to something deeper, and it was great.

If it's the final area, Kagari is wrong. That place is awesome.
That place has really nice aesthetics, Tetris puzzle pieces included--I love the "waves" the move across each piece. I chuckled a bit when people attempted the platforming because the game allows you to hold and lengthen your jump for a while (that is, unless the controls aren't very responsive) but the players chose to run off the ledge sometimes. Clearly the designer pulled an all-nighter while designing it, playing Tetris intermittently.

Actually, I think the colour palette choices for some areas, shading, and area design are really good in this game. I thought I'd like
the snowy areas
the best out of everything, but there are a few parts of the game that I like more than that as I thought they were rather creative.

And, uh, I'm starting to find Worlds Collide catchy. Something's wrong with meeeee. Maybe it's because the mixing of the lyrics vs the music is better in-game.

I do have to say that out of all the themes, the Caius ones and the new Hope theme arrangement are my favourites. The Hope Theme arrangement sounds like it fell out of a Genso Suikoden game and into a Final Fantasy title; I love the instrumentation a lot.

I do like that a lot of the time when you transition into battles
the music doesn't change. I love it when games do that, and it gives the player that extra "rush" feeling, or in the case of something like Oerba, for example, retaining the overall mood of the situation at hand.

Foffy

Banned
You're wrong. Neither Squall/Rinoa or Tidus/Yuna felt forced. Forced? Look at some of the other shitty JRPGs out there but not Final Fantasy. Heck, Squall fucking despised being near Rinoa half the game.

I thought both were quite forced. And comparing the efforts in VIII/X to other JRPGs does not mean the efforts found in the former are any good. Sure, they're better, but that doesn't mean they were done well. As someone already mentioned, IX did a purtey good job with it, and I actually think IV does a better job with it too, despite Cecil/Rosa seeming very two-dimensional by today's standards.

Can we at least agree that Serah/Snow is the worst loveydovey couple in the FF series? :3

Haven't really been moved by any of these FF love stories, or in any game for a long time.
Heck, I don't think I've felt any emotional connection like that since watching Rika base jump into Chaz's arms at the end of Phantasy Star IV...of course, I was 14 at the time.

Yoshichan

Yoshichan

Both FFIX and FFX's love stories worked, imo. Translating the final line to "I love you" in FFX was probably one of the best decisions Alexander O. Smith made.
What did she say in the Japanese version?
I thought both were quite forced. And comparing the efforts in VIII/X to other JRPGs does not mean the efforts found in the former are any good. Sure, they're better, but that doesn't mean they were done well. As someone already mentioned, IX did a purtey good job with it, and I actually think IV does a better job with it too, despite Cecil/Rosa seeming very two-dimensional by today's standards.

Can we at least agree that Serah/Snow is the worst loveydovey couple in the FF series? :3
I think you should realize that we're talking about video games here and not a super convoluted 900 pages-long love-story. The relationship doesn't feel forced or "in your face" - and unlike some people, I don't tend to compare video game story and character development with novels and movies.

edit: my above comment seemed very aggressive. I'm not bad :).

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I think so, particularly because
her friendship with Noel is a lot more believable than her romantic relationship with Snow, even taking the light novels into account. It just wasn't developed well enough... though I don't think it could have been given the nature of FFXIII's scenario.

Yoshichan said:
What did she say in the Japanese version?
She said "arigatou", and while that can function as "I love you" in Japanese, he could have directly translated it to "thank you" to acknowledge the trouble that Tidus went through to help her out and to thank him for it.

Apparently he had to check with Nojima to make sure that he could make the translation to that.

For me.... Zidane&Garnet were >>> Squall&Rinoa = Tidus&Yuna.

but above all.... Tifa&Cloud, she really REALLY loved him and cared about him so much and deeply, now THIS is a true love I want to see again in FFXV:p

Yoshichan

She said "arigatou", and while that can function as "I love you" in Japanese, he could have directly translated it to "thank you" to acknowledge the trouble that Tidus went through to help her out and to thank him for it.

Apparently he had to check with Nojima to make sure that he could make the translation to that.
Hmm, this blows my mind and changes everything. Now I don't know what to think anymore :(
but above all.... Tifa&Cloud, she really REALLY loved him and cared about him so much and deeply, now THIS is a true love I want to see again in FFXV:p
Haha, let's be serious now.

Foffy

Banned
I think you should realize that we're talking about video games here and not a super convoluted 900 pages-long love-story. The relationship doesn't feel forced or "in your face" - and unlike some people, I don't tend to compare video game story and character development with novels and movies.

edit: my above comment seemed very aggressive. I'm not bad :).

I know we are, and that's why I feel forcing a love plot is a pretty meh thing to do for a game. Unless it's a date sim, it will very likely not be done in such a way to make my heart thuh-thump for it. Maybe my dislike of Squall/Rinoa and Tidus/Yuna is that I found both males to be unbearable as protagonists. :p

And it's fine. You don't seem like a very hostile person from what I've seen, so I didn't get bothered.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
So yeah... the story... what a let down... good thing I wasn't excited for it! I like how
Sazh shows up for a total of 5 minutes, and Snow is never to be seen again after Sunleth.

Yoshichan

Even though I've beaten FFXIII three times, I can't honestly remember how long that game was (ignoring all side-quests)? Anyone remember?
I know we are, and that's why I feel forcing a love plot is a pretty meh thing to do for a game. Unless it's a date sim, it will very likely not be done in such a way to make my heart thuh-thump for it. Maybe my dislike of Squall/Rinoa and Tidus/Yuna is that I found both males to be unbearable as protagonists. :p
Haha, yeah XD Not liking the main protagonist may have something to do with the problem!

If the story is apparently the worst thing about the game, then I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy it. XP

...says the guy who enjoyed XIII's story.

Yoshichan

Ah, so 50% of FFXIII... dunno how I feel about that.

Hmm. I was remaining hopeful that Toriyama could clean up the mess of a story in XIII. Oh well. It sounds like the game is still good though, so I'll still pick it up.

Hmm. I was remaining hopeful that Toriyama could clean up the mess of a story in XIII. Oh well. It sounds like the game is still good though, so I'll still pick it up.

Despite impressions here, the ending is actually pretty interesting in the context of the game. The story isn't really as bad as people have been saying.

sonicmj1

Hmm, this blows my mind and changes everything. Now I don't know what to think anymore :(

There was an interview with Alex O Smith recently where he discusses the decision.

RPGSite: You made quite a brave decision when you changed Yuna’s final words to Tidus from ‘Thank You’ to ‘I Love You’. Many fans, myself included, feel your interpretation works better, but can you explain the thought process behind that decision and was it difficult to get Square Enix to sign off on it?
Alex: I wrote an article about this very subject for the lit. magazine “Subaru,” but to summarize, “arigatou” and “I love you” can play very similar roles in their respective languages. I like to imagine the patriarch of a family on his death bed, looking up at his children and grandchildren gathered around. In Japanese, he says “arigatou,” literally “there was much difficulty,” acknowledging the trouble and effort his relatives have gone through on his behalf, and expressing his gratitude toward them. In English, he says “I love you,” meaning pretty much the same thing. They’re both great scene closers, if you will. Beyond that, FFX is arguably a love story, complete with a kiss, and the Western audience expects an outward declaration of love, as un-Japanese as that may be. Finally, the lip movements for the two phrases happen to match pretty perfectly, which sealed the deal.

Knowing this would be somewhat controversial, being the first time anyone in a Final Fantasy had said “I love you,” I checked with Nojima, who was attending the recording in LA when I was rewriting those final scenes, and he signed off on it, happy to give people something talk about.

Yoshichan

Excellent read! Thanks a bunch.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
So yeah... the story... what a let down... good thing I wasn't excited for it! I like how
Sazh shows up for a total of 5 minutes, and Snow is never to be seen again after Sunleth.
And during the ending, all you heard was Sazh's voice from inside the ship. SE doesn't care for Sazh. :lol
Are you planning on getting all the paradox endings?

ZephyrFate said:
Despite impressions here, the ending is actually pretty interesting in the context of the game. The story isn't really as bad as people have been saying.
Yeah, within narrative context, it makes sense.

Noel is good, I think. I like him a lot better than Snow (I didn't like Snow). And Hope is quite a decent character (though I didn't have a lot of problems with him in FFXIII).

...LOL?

Off topic so spoilered:
Are we forgetting the lovely rewrites to their history Cloud messed up yet Tifa let Cloud believe them to make them seem closer than they really were? And that she did it because it benefited her now that she had the hots for him? Tifa was kind of an asshole until the second half of FFVII IMO, and didn't deserve Cloud. Honestly, I'm happy they never actually got together because of that.

Tidus and Yuna was pretty good, I'm one of those who think they deserved to be happy so his revival in FFX-2 (which was already hinted at in FFX International) didn't bother me at all.

Of course, best FF couple is Cecil/Rosa.

Anyway, it's pretty sad that Serah's
relationship with Noel despite them not being romantic is way better than her actual romance with Snow. XD

Top Bottom