• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 |OT| Change the Future

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah pretty much. That's why it's a bit surprising but even SE was not expecting this title to do that. Aside from the story 'issues', the game is getting some good feedback from people who royally disliked 13 so that should draw some people back in.

The story itself, from whatever I can understand at least, isn't really that bad. And the two characters are quite likeable. Mog turned out to be less irritating than I thought she would be for one.

Completed the game yesterday at around 52 hours with 120 plus fragments. Do note that I tend to be a slow player The gameplay is definitely better than 13's but it is still slightly flawed. It feels quite similar to FFX-2 with its shorter main scenario and many side scenarios that are optional. I think I like FFX-2 more however. It's still a pretty fun game that kept me up awake to play. I just wanted to do one more area or get one more fragment.

I think Toriyama should do more games like this (the open nature like FFX-2 and this game) but get someone else to write the story.

thematic

So 525k first 3 day sales. Seems pretty low but I am not sure they were expecting a huge amount given how other mega titles have not been exceedingly strong as late. Also, they may be experiencing some tepidity from fans unsure of how good the good is after their individual experiences with 13 and with the so far positive reviews from players, I expect to see a nice rise. I do expect some big international numbers.

I am wondering if SE is planning to make more profit from the DLC than the actual game.

really ?? XIII-2 only sold 525k ???
i thought most FFs in Japan exceed 1M easy especially "main title" on 1st day sales

dramatis

really ?? XIII-2 only sold 525k ???
i thought most FFs in Japan exceed 1M easy especially "main title" on 1st day sales
1) This isn't a main title, and 2) FF sales have been continually declining in Japan. If 13-2 actually sold 525k in first 3 days, then unless it sells another 900k in another 4 days it won't match the 10-2 first week numbers.

thematic

1) This isn't a main title, and 2) FF sales have been continually declining in Japan. If 13-2 actually sold 525k in first 3 days, then unless it sells another 900k in another 4 days it won't match the 10-2 first week numbers.

FFX-2 1st day sales is 1.2M in Japan even its not "main title"
525k, thats just sad (although still 2-3x than average title)

scy

I liked Serah from FFXIII, as abstract a concept rather than character she really was for like 99% of the game. I'm a little iffy on hooker outfit on her but I enjoy it, though I'm thinking that's mostly the Archer love in me.

We'll see if that changes any when I actually get to play it :/

Zoe

I found a big Chocobo
haircut
!

ugh, is he really gonna follow me everywhere? I hate having to hear going on about being a hero after every battle

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Ahahaha, this game. Paradox is just their catch-all concept for them not having to make the plot make any sense. Why did this happen? Paradox! Just what FF needed, our own version of nanomachines. At least the plot in some sections is so bad it's hilarious. Unfortunately not quite Star Ocean 4 levels of entertainment, since most of it is just mediocre.

And oh my god those quizzes. Using a guide it's all fine (even if they have questions like: What is the first line of the opening theme song of the popular Cactaur detective TV series? I mean, what? Although I managed to guess that.) But when they have questions like, "Which hand is the candy in? Right or Left?" and then the answer is whatever they feel like at the time, it's maddening! (I dread seeing Lucky Questions. You'd think since there are only two choices, you'd get them 50% right, but I've gotten 100% wrong.)

In any case, got the new book so I'll be translating the story! I don't know why I'm so excited to translate this thing. Even if it's really good it isn't going to help with the game plot. Oh well, look out for it soon I guess?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Any poor sales are well deserved after XIII. With each disappointing title they release, brand loyalty dies a little bit more. Hopefully this will cause Square-Enix to wake up and put more of an effort into gameplay elements. It seems like they already are making improvements with XIII-2, though.

desu

Hopefully this will cause Square-Enix to wake up and put more of an effort into gameplay elements. It seems like they already are making improvements with XIII-2, though.

Did you play 13-2 yet? Otherwise I would really wait with that judgement...

Well finally got the game today, and played 4h30 so far.

Really liking it, but there's one thing I'm afraid of doing, it's monsters growth, because I don't know if it's better to give them "all status" ingredients or specific "magic attack" or "phys attack" ones. I tried the two options on the same first node of one monster and it seems the "all status" gave better (and more) stats than the focused one.
Don't know if it'll stay like that all the way through though.

I assume that for Noel and Serah, it's like FFXIII and at max level in all roles, everyone's going to have the same stats, and only monsters will differentiate players from one another.

Does anyone know a bit on that subject and how to "best" level up the monsters?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Though I'm buying this game, this sequel was definitely not needed... And a lot of FF fans were like
raised_eyebrow.gif
when it was announced thus the low sales.

I've been saying that for a while. Sales are MUCH lower than I expected.

RaijinFY

So 525k first 3 day sales. Seems pretty low but I am not sure they were expecting a huge amount given how other mega titles have not been exceedingly strong as late. Also, they may be experiencing some tepidity from fans unsure of how good the good is after their individual experiences with 13 and with the so far positive reviews from players, I expect to see a nice rise. I do expect some big international numbers.

I am wondering if SE is planning to make more profit from the DLC than the actual game.

Low???? That's a massive bomba in my book!
I think the lunatics at SE have now a clear idea of how "apprecated" was XIII in Japan.

Shame about the sales, but I don't care. I will buy XIII-2 anyway sense it looks like a good game.

Hopefully, a FF15 though is not done by Toriyama and is a real return to form. Hopefully, Toriyama is fired or given a window seat.

Toth

I think the lunatics at SE have now a clear idea of how "apprecated" was XIII in Japan.

I doubt it. Like 3-4 million of FF13's sales came from international markets and once the game is launched in Jan / Feb, there will be more DLC and information available on the game. As long as SE officially addresses what their plans are for 13-2 following the ending and their projected DLC looks solid, the game will most likely draw far more sales across the world. Especially for the XBox version.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I doubt it. Like 3-4 million of FF13's sales came from international markets and once the game is launched, there will be more DLC and information available on the game. As long as SE officially addresses what their plans are for 13-2 following the ending and their projected DLC looks solids, the game will most likely draw far more sales across the world. Especially for the XBox version.

Sales will be down in the west as well, you can count on it.

It's not a bomba, because this stuff is gold from a profit perspective. It is much more efficient profit-wise for them to release a sequel like this, with reused assets and game design, and get even half the eventual sales of XIII than to start a huge risky FF XV type of project. They're milking the work they did on FF XIII for all the money they can.

Basically if they sell 6 million of XIII with a 4-5-year dev cycle and then 3 million of XIII-2 with a 1.5-2-year dev cycle, then that is worth it.

Hurting the brand is definitely a concern, but everyone here knows it takes much more to really hurt a brand like FF. The moment FF XV is announced, people will go crazy for the franchise again and expect great things again. "All" that SE has to do is deliver a great game.

It's not a bomba, because this stuff is gold from a profit perspective. It is much more efficient profit-wise for them to release a sequel like this, with reused assets and game design, and get even half the eventual sales of XIII than to start a huge risky FF XV type of project. They're milking the work they did on FF XIII for all the money they can.

Basically if they sell 6 million of XIII with a 4-5 dev cycle and then 3 million of XIII-2 with a 1.5-2-year dev cycle, then that is worth it.

Hurting the brand is definitely a concern, but everyone here knows it takes much more to really hurt a brand like FF. The moment FF XV is announced, people will go crazy for the franchise again and expect great things again. "All" that SE has to do is deliver a great game.

Do people really know this?

Look at the media create thread for tons of "Square/FF is dead" posts.

Do people really know this?

Look at the media create thread for tons of "Square/FF is dead" posts.

I think people do know this, yes. "X is dead" is just classic knee-jerk stuff.

A totally new, fresh start (which every main numbered FF is), as long as it's actually GOOD, will get people hyped as always. People can't help but get hopeful. It's emotion of hope... it is strong. Great JRPGs are too few and far between, and SE is still in a unique position to make a huge-budget JRPG.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Silly question: this is like import FF13 which was japanese only no english subs correct? No use importing as an anglophone?

If you get the "Asian" version (China, Korea, etc), it will have Japanese voice and English text... But that doesn't come out until the same time as full English version anyway.

Lady Bird

Matsuno's Goebbels
Shame about the sales, but I don't care. I will buy XIII-2 anyway sense it looks like a good game.

Hopefully, a FF15 though is not done by Toriyama and is a real return to form. Hopefully, Toriyama is fired or given a window seat.
Wasn't FFIX's/ FFXII's Hiroyuki Ito promoted to producer/ director by Wada, and isn't he currently busy on a "large unannounced project"? Of course he's gonna be the main director of Final Fantasy XV.

Toriyama has been busy with XIII-2, and will probably make a XIII-3 (or will he, after those sales?). Nomura is busy with Versus, and KH3 is gonna be his next big project once Versus is finished. And it's probably still a bit early for Tabata. Who else is left?

The game uses reused assets and the same engine as the first game and was made in less than half the development time of the first game; this isn't a bomba in the slightest.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
The game uses reused assets and the same engine as the first game and was made in less than half the development time of the first game; this isn't a bomba in the slightest.

Especially considering that games like ToX are widely profitable just by selling 700k, imagine XIII-2 when will be released worldwide. It will hit 2,5ml-3,0 perhaps and that's probably already a better (economically) success than XIII was with his long cycle development and its 6 millions sold. At that point, I'm not that sure that Square Enix will change drastically plans from now. XIII-3 could come and XV could have its own sequel one day.

Famassu

Wait, you can get more than one of a monster? What's the point of that?
You can mix up enemy skills by kind of "destroying" one monster to give its abilities to another one. I guess it's good if you can keep around multiple monsters of one kind so that you don't have to backtrack to old places if you end up giving some ally monster's abilities to another (thus getting rid of it), yet would still want to keep another one of those monsters in your roster if you perhaps want to give its abilities to other monsters or just use them otherwise too.

It's not going to sell half of what XIII did in Japan. It'll end up selling around 1/3.

SkylineRKR

I don't see XIII-2 becoming a huge success outside of Japan as well. Lower sales than XIII is a given, and those numbers weren't all that hot for a main FF to begin with.

XIII must be Square's unlucky number. I would be really surprised if Versus is going to keep it tbh. They might as well slap XV on it and market it as a series comeback.

Seda

I don't see XIII-2 becoming a huge success outside of Japan as well. Lower sales than XIII is a given, and those numbers weren't all that hot for a main FF to begin with.

XIII must be Square's unlucky number. I would be really surprised if Versus is going to keep it tbh. They might as well slap XV on it and market it as a series comeback.

They already took it off the Agito title, might as well take it off Versus too.

XIII sold 6 million copies, which is more than any other FF title aside from VII, VIII, and X. Even if it sold 1/3rd of XIII's sales in Japan, it would still sit tidy above most of the games in the series.

UberTag

Sales will be down in the west as well, you can count on it.
March 2010 NPD launch month sales for Final Fantasy XIII - 1.322 Million - this was a mega-colossal huge number

February 2012 NPD launch month sales for Final Fantasy XIII-2 = ??????

Other noteworthy releases in February tracking period:
- Asura's Wrath
- The Darkness II
- Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning
- PlayStation VITA Launch Lineup (Uncharted: Golden Abyss, Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3, Wipeout 2048, Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational, ModNation Racers: Road Trip)
- Resident Evil: Revelations
- Rhythm Heaven Fever
- SoulCalibur V
- Syndicate
- Tales of the Abyss 3DS
- Twisted Metal
- UFC Undisputed 3

I'm expecting an aggressive ad campaign... going to ballpark a guess of 700-750K for Final Fantasy XIII-2 in February's NPD.
That's me being kind.

SkylineRKR

I remember walking into the store and saw FFXIII being heavily discounted after about 4 weeks. I was always under the impression that this game was initially being overshipped.

Pre-FFVII was rather niche and not even being released in Europe. I doubt any main FF since VII actually sold worse than XIII. FFIX and XII could be partially being overlooked because of a next-gen kicking in at the very moment.

FFXIII sales might've been still decent, the game did damage the franchise. I'm going to buy XIII-2, but I much rather had Versus from what I've seen of it. I wished they just leave XIII and move on.

salromano

Saw this on 2ch (in a much more difficult to read, cajumbled, text format - I cleaned it up in Excel). Not sure how accurate the numbers are or the poster's sources, but here it is regardless:

ffsaleszgo8d.png

UberTag

I remember walking into the store and saw FFXIII being heavily discounted after about 4 weeks. I was always under the impression that this game was initially being overshipped.
No reason that healthy launch sales automatically preclude your scenario either. The game could have had healthy launch numbers (which it did at 1.3 million) and could still have been overshipped hence necessitating the heavy discounts. The sales were extremely front-loaded and if they had 2 million copies on shelves for its March 2010 launch date it was still overshipped despite doing really nice numbers on the sales front.

I would anticipate a similar scenario this time. I'm expecting to see this game marked down to $29 no later than May.

xxczx

While everyone is on about sales, I got story questions about Alyssa

While watching the stream when it was released, Alyssa was monologuing at some point, I quickly guessed she is going to back stab everyone because of the tone of her voice and how she was all serious and everyone else was happy.

Now there's hints everywhere like "people who love Alyssa and I'm all lol".

Does this actually happen? Is it a 'Dead End' or the actual end?

Actually don't tell me.

desu

So i have almost completed the game here is what I think.

Before I start I have to say that I really liked 13, but I was more than sceptical about 13-2, cant say my fears were pointless.

Random notes (only about the story time, not post game, stuff might change there):
- Roles/Paradigms:You need 3(atk,bla,hlr) roles and (3xatk, atk-bla-bla,atk-bla-hlr) paradigms to reach the end boss, more is not needed. I reached the final with those 3 paradigms I set in the beginning of the game and never changed them once. I suppose you might need the rest post game ...
- Weapons: wow all of them are just palett swaps, no new models ...
- Accs: well there are a couple but since there are restrictions (weight?) on accs now they are kind of pointless in the main game, once again only needed post game?
- Difficulty: game is so easy, its not funny, even worse the bosses are complete jokes (except maybe the final one)
- Recycling, about I dunno 5 new normal enemies and most bosses are new, otherwise only old models and color swaps.
-Stagger: you only need stagger in like the first 1/3 of the game after than you kill enemies before you can stagger them which leads to like playing 50%+ of the game with paradigm atk-atk-atk only since its faster and easier to play that way (bosses are excluded from this)
- Monsters in party: I would trade all those 150 monsters just for one more good party member ... that being sad there are some cool monsters which are sometimes stronger than even your own party members.
- Mog clock: Omg just how much I hate that thing, you guys love random encounters?, oh hell then you will love this! Honestly some areas have so high encounter rates, you literally walk 3-5 steps and the next random encounter happens, its totally annoying. I also hate that they removed smokes, in 13 you could mostly decide on your own if you wanted to fight or not, here you can try to run away ... which can lead to you having to restart from the last save point instead if repeating the battle.
- OST: Some really good tracks, but man all those bad vocal tracks ... not my thing.
- Story: well lots of people have seen the end, I think its total garbage...
- Locations: There are some pretty cool ones, but also quite some boring ones, in particular is so bad, looks ps2 and could be created in like a day ... really bad.
- Livetrigger and QTEs are just annoying, get away with them please ...
+ lots of stuff I probably have forgotten

Overall I always felt like there was a thought behind everything in 13, however in 13-2 it seems like someone just threw tons of random gameplay elements into mixer and at the end got a game. Its like they had no plan what they wanted to do when they made the game (which is probably due to the super short dev time.)

klee123

Wow, major Bomba indeed. The reception of FFXIII must have been really bad in Japan in order for the sequel to sell this bad....

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
And oh my god those quizzes. Using a guide it's all fine (even if they have questions like: What is the first line of the opening theme song of the popular Cactaur detective TV series? I mean, what? Although I managed to guess that.) But when they have questions like, "Which hand is the candy in? Right or Left?" and then the answer is whatever they feel like at the time, it's maddening! (I dread seeing Lucky Questions. You'd think since there are only two choices, you'd get them 50% right, but I've gotten 100% wrong.)
One of my friends imported the game and just got to those quizzes. They're apparently soooo bad and soooo vague. Maybe you need to talk to NPCs to get the answers? Is there a guide for it? Edit: I think this is it.

And looking forward to your translations. You put a lot of effort into translating them, so I'll read them. Isn't there an epilogue novel coming out? Fragments After or whatever?

I won't play the game again until the EU version releases. I can understand a bit of Japanese but I'd like to play it with a language I fully understand. But based on the first 8 hours I'm really fond of the art direction and worldview, and the gameplay was perfectly fine to me.
I think you'll really like some of FFXIII-2's aesthetics in the end. Some of the area designs are quite pretty, and the colour palettes and shading used in some of the areas are quite creative. One area in particular... but you aren't there yet!

Please don't feel bad, I was only joking. You probably know in France, there is this cold war between Paris and the "Province".

And I'm afraid to say Historia Crux will be Cœur de l'Histoire in the French version.
LOL, yeah, that's part of why I felt bad. Some people I know just don't like it when their dialects are generalized to the standard, you know? :D

Ugh, that's so boring. Historia Crux is one small part of the game's (and the FNC as a whole) reliance on the Latin language so they can get away with calling it by the Latin name. What a strange localization decision.

Top Bottom