• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 |OT| Change the Future

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Get a list from a jp wiki, I think the wiki gave you a whie ago had all monsters. Then start crossing off shit :D remember you oly need to fight them once, you don't need their full data.

Hmm, so I don't have to worry about getting all the data 'checked off'? I'm wasting my time if I do?

7 fragments to go! Enemy report + the quizzes in Academia then I'm done with that.

Teknoman

Late to the party on this one...had to spoil the chocobo theme after seeing so many posts about it. Still keeping my LE preorder and still kinda hyped for it...but wow. Who thought that was a good idea? Seriously. Should have just done something similar to what a Black Mages chocobo theme would sound like.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Late to the party on this one...had to spoil the chocobo theme after seeing so many posts about it. Still keeping my LE preorder and still kinda hyped for it...but wow. Who thought that was a good idea? Seriously.

Good news is... you can get a fragment skill later on that lets you change the chocobo song.

desu

Hmm, so I don't have to worry about getting all the data 'checked off'? I'm wasting my time if I do?

7 fragments to go! Enemy report + the quizzes in Academia then I'm done with that.

Yes it's a waste, just fight them once d you're set to go.

After this, I'd like to see Square experiment with the idea of switching style and artwork of subsequent Final Fantasy games, much in the same way Nintendo does with Zelda. It seems the Final Fantasy brand is perpetually handcuffed to the sci-fi/cyberpunk format that's dominated the series since Final Fantasy VII (which, imo, maintained a perfect balance of the medieval + gothic + industrial + cyberpunk styles).

Why not return to the classic fantasy setting on the next game, then on the game after that, switch it up.

kx11

Banned
After this, I'd like to see Square experiment with the idea of switching style and artwork of subsequent Final Fantasy games, much in the same way Nintendo does with Zelda. It seems the Final Fantasy brand is perpetually handcuffed to the sci-fi/cyberpunk format that's dominated the series since Final Fantasy VII (which, imo, maintained a perfect balance of the medieval + gothic + industrial + cyberpunk styles).

Why not return to the classic fantasy setting on the next game, then on the game after that, switch it up.

because they want to cover the most part of the mainstream gamers and fulfill their needs and taste not to mention the game is designed for the japanese market

i think they should not go back to those days , we want advanced more related games to our time

Does FFIX, FFX, and FFXI exist in your world?

Varion

Can already tell I'm going to have loads of fun with this lucky coin fragment, hour and a half of turbo controller fun and nothing. Only 29 left and 3 trophies to go.

luca1980

Banned
Does FFIX, FFX, and FFXI exist in your world?

well xi is online....ffx has its futuristic parts (zanarkand) and FFIX is from long ago...

imho one could hope for FFXV in Itou's hands with a style crossed from FFIX and FFXII given the ex-team 4 touch in its games...

Because really it's a while we are given team 1 style over the top jrpgs...

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
English copies of this should be in the hands of press either now or this week. Don't expect reviews until super close to launch, though.

Yeah, usually reviews for Square Enix games get out on day one.

Btw, 3rd week in Japan being good again. Decent legs, it'll end up selling all the first shipment probably.

Mihos

Gold Member
I am gettign pretty amped for this. I want to pick up the LE, but don't want to pre-order. I think this coming out at an odd time of year may make it pretty safe to wait.

Cornbread78

I'm still on Media black-out on this game. I don't want to read or see anything on it; I'm not even looking at this thread, lol.... I just keep my ticker going for NA launch:

Countdown: Until Final Fantasy XIII-2:, has 25 day 14 hour 19 min 48 sec.

Riposte

Almost.

As for the sales picking up this week - it's great news - just a shame it's occurred after the price was pretty heavily slashed.

Doesn't SE overprice their shit?

EDIT: I am going to buy this game day one and beat it without leveling anything. That means no Medic I suppose.

hayejin

We are talking about the North American version? From the Limited Edition reveal thread:

EDIT: Confirmed Retailers include will be limited to: GameStop, BestBuy, and Amazon.

EDIT2: According to Joystiq, this LE will "Only be available in "limited quantities" "

Limited Editions used to be bunk, but these days, with MGS HD Collection and Skyward Sword's LEs going rare immediately, I'm starting to take the label seriously.... I think this one will be limited as they say. I'm not taking chances.

I have little insight into the European LEs of past games... but I believe that version will not likely be rare? If the XIII European LE was not rare, then I doubt this one will be.

Thanks. Preordered at Amazon even though my wallet am crying.

Teknoman

because they want to cover the most part of the mainstream gamers and fulfill their needs and taste not to mention the game is designed for the japanese market

i think they should not go back to those days , we want advanced more related games to our time

I dunno...lots of fans around the world like the art style of IX, XI, and XIV (say what you want about the game, Yoshida's art always delivers).

Final Fantasy games in the past had a great mix of futuristic, fantasy, and standard medieval environments ( Final Fantasy IV for example, giant mechs, spaceships, huge mechanical towers combined with wooden airships, stone castles, crystal fortresses on the moon, and an underground civilization)...so you might be just speaking for yourself as far as "games related to our time" goes.

And mainstream gamers probably wouldnt care as long as the game looked good, which isnt something you have to worry about when it comes to the FF franchise.

well xi is online....ffx has its futuristic parts (zanarkand) and FFIX is from long ago...

imho one could hope for FFXV in Itou's hands with a style crossed from FFIX and FFXII given the ex-team 4 touch in its games...

Because really it's a while we are given team 1 style over the top jrpgs...

Now I feel old :p

Any word or pictures on the inside packaging of the NA LE? Does it come with a normal case for the game or is the package itself oversized and would look out of place on a shelf? Sorry if pics are in the OP, they're blocked at work here.

Cheska

What's the likelihood of Limited Edition selling out or going up in prices?

I kind of overspent this month and trying to tighten the wallet but at the same time I'm afraid if I don't buy the limited edition now it might sell out. Any guessers?

If its any indication of availability, the Crystal Edition is completely sold out at Zavvi, Amazon.uk, and Game.co.

Actually, did anyone else order from Game.co.uk? When I click on the link in my order, it says the item is no longer on their website.

hayejin

If its any indication of availability, the Crystal Edition is completely sold out at Zavvi, Amazon.uk, and Game.co.

Actually, did anyone else order from Game.co.uk? When I click on the link in my order, it says the item is no longer on their website.

Crystal edition is Europe only?
Search for Crystal Edition on Amazon gets me this Limited Edition which I pre ordered based on BocoDragon's reply.

http://www.amazon.com/Final-Fantasy-XIII-2-Collectors-sony-playstation3/dp/B0062VM8LU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&tag=videogames063a-20&qid=1325798639&sr=8-2

I think they removed pre order restriction. I can add almost 99 qty into the basket. I thought they always restricted limited edition pre orders to 3 only. But yeah I pre ordered even though my budget is tight. Hopefully I can break even selling it if worst comes to worst.

Zoe

Is there a combo guide or something? I haven't delved into that because I'm too worried I'll lose a good monster in the process.

jimmypython

just finished the game, the credits are rolling now.....

i don't like this default ending. that is it.

PS. the game is fun to play tho...time for the post-game stuff...i certainly want to platinum it..

chri5t

I wonder how well this game will be reviewed in the west, especially since Famitsu/Dengeki gave this game a perfect score.

I'm thinking it will be within the 7-8 score range.

Reveirg

I wonder how well this game will be reviewed in the west, especially since Famitsu/Dengeki gave this game a perfect score.

I'm thinking it will be within the 7-8 score range.

I'm betting most "professional reviewers" feel burned by the fact that they gave high grades to XIII, which was poorly received by most fans. My guess is they'll overcompensate this time around and underevaluate XIII-2.

Varion

Hmm... Best way to locate daddy bear?
http://ff12.jp/ff13_2_map13_quiz.html Do a quick run of the areas on the east side, if he's not there then return to the Historia Crux, go back in, try again. His location resets every time you do that, so instead of running between the west and east sides checking every single place it's easier to just make him come to areas you can find easily.

------------

Anyway, just got the platinum. Oh man, people really weren't joking when they said the 'Secret ending' wasn't worth it. That was pathetic.

Impressions if anyone cares:

Good:
- Much less linear than 13 - I didn't mind FF13's linearity as much as many people seemed so, but there's no denying 13-2's increased freedom made the gameplay segments more fun. Right from a couple of hours in the game opens up quite nicely, by Chapter 3 you have multiple orders you can do the main areas and more and more optional gates to go through and explore, quests to do etc. One thing that did annoy me about quests is how a lot of them required you to do one quest before the next one would open, so you'd have to talk to everyone, find out who had your first quest, do it, then talk to everyone all over again to see who's got one for you next. Chocobo racing was pretty fun too, as unlike in FF7 it was pretty much all decided by how well you'd prepared. If you took the time to get a good chocobo to max level and transfer some useful abilities onto it you didn't lose very much.
- Characters - Everything about Noel's profile seemed to scream that he'd be annoying as whiny, so I was pretty surprised when he was quite the opposite. Positive, but not irritatingly so, and generally a likeable character. Liked Serah too, though I've never understood how she managed to pick up so many haters considering she barely spoke in 13.
- Towns! It feels weird actually putting this in a 'good' list but after 13 it seems to actually be worth saying. In particular Academia was really big and used the system of NPCs saying random lines when you pass them to pretty great effect making the place feel a bit more alive than it otherwise would. There's a pretty large variety of lines there too, unlike Bresha Ruins where the guards seem to have about 4 to choose from. It's also fun how people will react differently if you happen to be riding a Chocobo.
- Fragment Skills - Some of these were really useful, especially the ability to mess around with the frequency of enemy encounters and the ability to double the game's speed. The only problem is that you get them *far* too late, and by the time you get them they're not half as useful as they could be. They were still incredibly useful though, and I'd love to see future games incorporate this kind of thing.

Neutral:
- Story - There were a few decent bits, most of them near the end (past the 2/3 of the way point when the stupidity seemed to peak. I quite enjoyed the last hour overall), but mostly this varied between mediocre to really bad. Anyone who's intending on playing the game for the story is probably going to be disappointed, especially if they don't like stories based on paradoxes. It doesn't help that it's so short.
- Music - The soundtrack was a mixed bag, there were some good tracks (the final boss theme and a number of the battle themes in general, along with a few of the softer vocal tracks were some of my favourites), mostly 'decent' ones and some bad ones (the Bresha Ruins 'some woman with an annoying voice talking over some basic music and with terrible lyrics' track was the worst offender) Overall it was enjoyable enough during the game, though it's not something I feel compelled to buy the OST and listen to it outside it.
- Recycling of areas - Somewhat expected seen as it's the same world, though they did at least put the effort into making some of them look and feel different so I'm not sticking this under negatives. It's not something that bothered me hugely during the game, though more new areas would've been nice.
- Monsters - They weren't as bad as I expected, but there were very few I really felt like I *had* to have them in my party, and as listed under negatives, monster ability inheriting was basically pointless as the game was so easy. The decorations were generally really tiny things you didn't even notice, too.
- QTEs - Again these weren't half as bad as I expected as there's only 5 sets of them, and the ones needed to use monster special abilities (which are always the same and so easy). Can't say they added anything at all and were slightly annoying because I had to concentrate more on where the inputs were going to appear and less on the actual cutscene itself, but they weren't especially bad. Or hard. Didn't fail a single one, don't know what happens if you do.

Bad:
- Moogle Clock - While this system was fine for encounters the first time you were in an area and actually wanted to fight, by the end of the game I absolutely hated it because of two things - one, the encounter rate is far too high, and two, no matter how huge the difference in level between you and the enemy, they will want to fight you anyway. Certain enemies like wolves are the worst for this, as you have no chance at all before they start chasing you. Even though you've maxed out the crystarium and they weren't very strong 30 mins into the game, never mind now. It wasn't a bad idea, but it was very poorly implemented.
- Time Labyrinths - While most of these were pretty easy, I can't really honestly call any of them 'fun' in any sense of the word, and the randomised clock puzzles were some of the most irritating things I've ran into in a game in a while. I'm sure someone in SE's offices thought these were fun, but I can't see many players agreeing with them.
- Difficulty, or lack thereof - One of the major tradeoffs that's been made as a result of the game becoming less linear is that the crystarium-levels-up-every-chapter system has been removed, so you can quite easily get as many levels as you want much more quickly than you could in 13. This makes it incredibly easy to become overlevelled, as even half an hour or so trying to find a monster you want to catch can get you a fairly significant amount of extra levels, and seen as the game encourages you to explore new areas when you get them, by the time you return to the main story everything can be a complete joke. When you can do every battle in a dungeon while reading GAF instead of actually looking at the TV, you know something's probably wrong. In addition this made monster ability inheriting mostly useless, as while you could use it for making a super Kichu at the end or something, you could just as easily... not. I didn't even have an especially amazing set of monsters and still 5 starred everything with minimal effort.
- The old cast getting shafted horribly - Didn't bother me as much as it seems to bother some people, but it's still a little sad to see just how little the FF13 party seem to matter now. Lightning is in for a single digit number of scenes and Snow and Sazh might as well not be there at all. Especially Sazh. Hope was the only one who seemed to have a significant role, and it was pretty odd (in a good way) at first seeing how much he's grown up and matured.

I enjoyed it, though it could've been a lot more fun if the negatives had been fixed - the moogle clock and time labyrinths got old very fast, and the complete lack of difficulty was a real disappointment as I wanted to be challenged into actually taking advantage of the game's systems, rather than just steamrolling everything without even looking at the screen most of the time. Nonetheless more often than not the game was fun, and in regards to the amount of things to do and increased freedom the game was a step forward from XIII. I think personally I'd rate that above this overall though, as the main story was more enjoyable, the cast was larger, the difficulty level was more enjoyably challenging, everything was still new, rather than mostly familiar and redecorated, and even though it's technically still the same world, it felt more interesting in the previous game. Either way, I'll be here day one for the likely 13-3, hoping they've finally on the third time lucky made something awesome rather than just good to great.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Hmm... Best way to locate daddy bear?

There is no easy way. Best way is to look at every location on the map while listening for the occasional comment to get a better idea of his location (not always helpful. Once someone said he was in the dream palace, wherever that is.) Check very carefully around each area because he is not hidden in obvious spots. Often under staircases, between buildings, and even standing behind windows.

KePoW

Banned
Varion, thanks for the detailed impressions.

Jeez, between Kagari, desu, and your thoughts, I'm bummed that they could not clearly make a better game than XIII... even with all the customer feedback they got. I honestly didn't think there was any way XIII-2 could be worse overall, but I guess I was wrong.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I think Noel, at least his dialogue, was written better than Snow. He fits into the hero mould better, and he doesn't seem irritating at all. His actions, for the most part, seemed justified and the part where
he tears Snow apart
made me smile. Like I said in the FF community thread, I don't think I'll like Serah's English voice much since it will remind me of Omochao.

Varion, did you try throwing Mog at treasure chests when people were around too? I thought their reactions to him were neat.

I imagine that everyone, including myself, will be raging at the clock puzzles in the Time Labyrinth. The connect the dots and the falling floor ones don't seem so bad in comparison. But since there's a site to solve the clock puzzles now, well, lol.

Varion said:
I absolutely hated it because of two things - one, the encounter rate is far too high, and two, no matter how huge the difference in level between you and the enemy, they will want to fight you anyway. Certain enemies like wolves are the worst for this, as you have no chance at all before they start chasing you.
How high would you say the encounter rate is? I've heard 3-5 steps, but I figured my friend was exaggerating. He really disliked the Moogle Clock since he dislikes random encounters.

But I do have a question now that you mention it. You said that some enemies will start chasing you like wolves. Based on what you're saying, wolves would normally have higher agility or something and the game didn't really adjust their speed for the area or the speed of your characters' running? Or is it because their animations typically cover more ground than your characters' standard running animation?

I also find it a little surprising that weaker enemies don't really hang back or try to run away from you during pre-encounter.

Top Bottom