• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 |OT| Change the Future

Varion

There's no reason to believe the "real" ending will be via DLC.
Considering how the game didn't sell especially great for a big FF game I dunno if they're going to be in a huge rush to put a 13-3 onto the market though, though I think I'd prefer that approach to a bunch of episodic overpriced DLC to finish it off.

You guys are ruining my hype for this game.
Well it's better to have lower expectations and be happy with the end product than have stupidly high ones and have them dashed, right? I definitely enjoyed the game (or I wouldn't still be playing it for the platinum) and feel that overall the good moments outweigh the bad ones that are there, I just wish they'd done some things differently.

RPGCrazied

I was reading on GameStop site, and it says the CE artbook is attached to the case itself. I really want to see inside this thing. Will the soundtrack discs be in paper sleeves? Or will it have some sort of digipak packaging?

Thoraxes

I tend to like pretty much everything GAF hates, dislikes, or is disappointed with, so if anything, this is an indicator that my experience with the game is going to be amazing.

Also the fact that people are actually doing the fragments is pretty encouraging too, because it seems that most people are doing them because they want to. Obviously reviwers and such have different priorities, but on the whole, many people i've talked to are doing them as well.

desu

German game pro gave the game 90%, dunno if they played the jp version or if they have a exclusive first review ....

desu

Also the fact that people are actually doing the fragments is pretty encouraging too, because it seems that most people are doing them because they want to. Obviously reviwers and such have different priorities, but on the whole, many people i've talked to are doing them as well.

to me it rather seems that most are doing them to either get the easy platinum or ... In the hope of getting a real ending, because the shit you see the first time when you beat the game will most likely not satisfy you.

Should I have played XIII before XIII-2?

T_T I'm going to give the game a try in January despite commotion at gaf.

oh btw why'd the game get a 40/40 at famitsu?

I don't mean to derail the thread, but does anyone have any solid evidence for that FFX, FF7 connection? I just heard about it and I don't know if it's true or not.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
to me it rather seems that most are doing them to either get the easy platinum or ... In the hope of getting a real ending, because the shit you see the first time when you beat the game will most likely not satisfy you.

Too bad all that effort of getting the fragments goes to waste on that useless bit of an ending. Even the X-2 secret ending was more satisfying :<

But reading the fragments was interesting to me, so I have that at least.

zlatko

Banned
Should I have played XIII before XIII-2?

T_T I'm going to give the game a try in January despite commotion at gaf.

oh btw why'd the game get a 40/40 at famitsu?

Just go in blind. Forget GAF opinion, and come to your own conclusion.

Some people were extremely enraged by the linearity for a good amount of the game up to chapter 9, and who can blame them really? Was it a game breaker for me? Nope, because there was enough good within those linear chapters, to push me to the more open stuff, and when I reached that it made the game shoot up in how fantastic it was.

My biggest complaints for FF13 just come in the form of poor voice acting choices for the English version. Luckily, I imported the Japanese version since I couldn't wait, and enjoyed it a lot more.

I think SE should start making it standard to include Japanese and English voice options for all their games, at least on PS3 since they'd have the room on disc for it.

Hopefully you'll like it. FF13 was a fun game overall, and while it isn't in my top 5 games or even FF's, it's still worth the 100 some hours I invested into it. :)

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Hopefully you'll like it. FF13 was a fun game overall, and while it isn't in my top 5 games or even FF's, it's still worth the 100 some hours I invested into it. :)
Hell yeah!

Zoe

If you're going into it for the story, why would you skip the first part?

If you're going into it solely for the gameplay, IMO the first game was still better overall.

Some people were extremely enraged by the linearity for a good amount of the game up to chapter 9, and who can blame them really? Was it a game breaker for me? Nope, because there was enough good within those linear chapters, to push me to the more open stuff, and when I reached that it made the game shoot up in how fantastic it was.

My biggest complaints for FF13 just come in the form of poor voice acting choices for the English version. Luckily, I imported the Japanese version since I couldn't wait, and enjoyed it a lot more.

I think SE should start making it standard to include Japanese and English voice options for all their games, at least on PS3 since they'd have the room on disc for it.

thanks for that :) I really think best way is to just try.

sublimit

Banned

This.A thousand times this.
Hopefully Versus will have both Japanese and English VA.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Considering how the game didn't sell especially great for a big FF game I dunno

That's not entirely true I think. Surely the game didn't have a very big launch, but the second week was pretty big for it and unexpected. If the third week keeps the flow, the game will sell all the first shipment (rumored 850k), and that's good news. The initial shipment is usually a good meter to judge the target-sales for the whole-life of a Final Fantasy. With 850k of shipment, surely they didn't expect to cross the 1ml mark in total. If the west follows the same numbers, you can expect almost 2,5ml FFXIII-2 whole-life sales. At that point XIII-3, if the plan to make it indeed exists, will surely come. Those numbers are pretty profitable for a game developed on a so short-dev. time you know...

English + JP voiceover never sounds likely, as they even change the mouth movements for US release generally. Honestly.. they just need good voice actors. I prefer my anime with Japanese voices but video games are a whole different story for me.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
There's always a site with a clock labyrinth solving algorythm, just type the numbers and it's done.
http://www.bit-hive.com/~tomita/FF13-2TL/
Oh my God. *bookmarks* I recommend that everyone buying this game in English bookmark this.

Also, my friend thanks you. He didn't want to do anything in Oerba at all.

Well it's better to have lower expectations and be happy with the end product than have stupidly high ones and have them dashed, right?
This. I remember tempering my expectations for Sonic Generations and Skyward Sword this year and it was definitely for the best. Never hype up a game or else you might be disappointed.

This too. My policy is to always go into a game if I'm interested in it no matter what other people have to say. Different strokes for different folks.

I was reading on GameStop site, and it says the CE artbook is attached to the case itself. I really want to see inside this thing. Will the soundtrack discs be in paper sleeves? Or will it have some sort of digipak packaging?

I would like to know this as well before I actually buy the thing.

Jeels

Buy the hard cover Strategy Guide + Regular Edition instead. :D That's what I'm doing, so I'll have a matching set with XIII.

Really the reason I'm not getting the LE is that the game itself doesn't seem to have its own box inside the LE.

Varion

That's not entirely true I think. Surely the game didn't have a very big launch, but the second week was pretty big for it and unexpected. If the third week keeps the flow, the game will sell all the first shipment (rumored 850k), and that's good news. The initial shipment is usually a good meter to judge the target-sales for the whole-life of a Final Fantasy. With 850k of shipment, surely they didn't expect to cross the 1ml mark in total. If the west follows the same numbers, you can expect almost 2,5ml FFXIII-2 whole-life sales. At that point XIII-3, if the plan to make it indeed exists, will surely come. Those numbers are pretty profitable for a game developed on a so short-dev. time you know...
...I have no idea how I somehow managed to completely forget the West exists. I guess this is what happens to your brain when you play almost nothing but imports that either don't come out in English or sell mediocre numbers at best. Okay disregard that post, you're right. That's reassuring at least if that's the road they're planning to take.

Maybe next time they can fix all the new issues they've introduced in XIII-2!

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
^ Not commenting on the second week drop stuff, but.... 1/3rd of the first week sales of XIII? Goddamn.

It's the kick in the pants that Square deserves. Let's hope that, like Nintendo, Panic Mode Square is best Square.

I just hope they panic in the right direction ... they need to produce something great and mainstream-appealing and awesome. Be the Nintendo or Pixar of jRPGs again. If they get even more pandery and whoring to a shrinking hardcore fanbase.. it won't be pretty.

Perfo

^ Not commenting on the second week drop stuff, but.... 1/3rd of the first week sales of XIII? Goddamn.

FFXIII shipped 1,8ml copies and sold 1,5 of them on its first week. FFXIII-2 shipped 850k copies and sold 530k of them. Then, it had a better second week than any previous title. Are you really sure things are not going the way Square Enix wanted?

Ricker

Also according to the email from EBGames Canada I just got,it's number 1 on the pre-order list right now for the first 4 months of 2012 lol....still keeping my pre-order,can't wait to play it.

Perfo

Also according to the email from EBGames Canada I just got,it's number 1 on the pre-order list right now for the first 4 months of 2012 lol....still keeping my pre-order,can't wait to play it.

It appears XIII-2 is doing pretty well with pre-orders both in EU and US. Nothing officially confirmed, but that's the general impression got from various sources. Doesn't necessary mean it'll sell as much as XIII obviously, not even Square Enix expects that, but it's probably not going to be that huge bomba someone hopes for. As I said many times, I think the new plans they probably have for FF (a la Bioware, trilogy x DLCs) is pretty profitable for Square Enix and we will keep seeing a strategy similar to this in the next years.

FFXIII shipped 1,8ml copies and sold 1,5 of them on its first week. FFXIII-2 shipped 850k copies and sold 530k of them. Then, it had a better second week than any previous title. Are you really sure things are not going the way Square Enix wanted?

Shipments aren't necessarily indicative of publisher expectations. They can't just ship out as many as they want if the retailers aren't buying them. Especially in light of the price slashing that happened early with FFXIII it is unlikely that retailers were willing to just take as many as SE would give them and its sketchy to claim otherwise.

Perfo

Shipments aren't necessarily indicative of publisher expectations. They can't just ship out as many as they want if the retailers aren't buying them. Especially in light of the price slashing that happened early with FFXIII it is unlikely that retailers were willing to just take as many as SE would give them and its sketchy to claim otherwise.

Then it's even more unlikely for Square Enix to think that XIII-2 could sell well like XIII. There was no sign of that prior to release. They probably knew it hence 850k being more or less the total life-time sales they expected. The first shipment in the Final Fantasy series (and jrpgs in general) usually tends to indicate the amount of copies they expect to sell in total. Why this time should be any different?

Top Bottom