• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 |OT| Change the Future

RPGCrazied

I would like to know this as well before I actually buy the thing.

I guess we won't know, until we have it in our hands. Surely they won't resort to paper sleeves. I'd rather the case itself have some sort of disc holders, if it doesn't come with a game case either.

desu

Guys, what's the best way to finish out the enemy report?

Get a list from a jp wiki, I think the wiki gave you a whie ago had all monsters. Then start crossing off shit :D remember you oly need to fight them once, you don't need their full data.

desu

FFXIII shipped 1,8ml copies and sold 1,5 of them on its first week. FFXIII-2 shipped 850k copies and sold 530k of them. Then, it had a better second week than any previous title. Are you really sure things are not going the way Square Enix wanted?

Damn you really are londa #2.

I didn't have better second week than any previous ff, ff6 at a lower second week drop (at least according to the chart on the last page).

dramatis

Then it's even more unlikely for Square Enix to think that XIII-2 could sell well like XIII. There was no sign of that prior to release. They probably knew it hence 850k being more or less the total life-time sales they expected. The first shipment in the Final Fantasy series (and jrpgs in general) usually tends to indicate the amount of copies they expect to sell in total. Why this time should be any different?
"SE probably didn't think it would sell well like 13" is a really shitty justification, especially since they did ridiculous amounts of promotion, planned to release DLC monthly, and funded the project in the first place. Why the bloody hell would they give money to develop this game if they didn't think it would sell well?

The key point is that it didn't even sell the same ratio as X:X-2, and probably made them less money than planned.

It appears XIII-2 is doing pretty well with pre-orders both in EU and US. Nothing officially confirmed, but that's the general impression got from various sources.
You might want to check with Kagari.

It's also extremely odd to be #1 on preorder list for Jan-Apr 2012, but that's probably because the ad blitz for Mass Effect hasn't kicked in yet.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Why the bloody hell would they give money to develop this game if they didn't think it would sell well?

Selling 2,5 million copies (estimated) worldwide is not selling well? How is that so? The game took a little less than one year and half to develop, re-used almost everything from the previous game and DLCs are planned for the months to come. I think we have enough elements to guess this game will be way more profitable than XIII on the long run and also it being the fastest solution for Square Enix to produce an easy-cash-in game in less than two years, earning profits with it, measuring the efficiency of the new short-dev.time and looking immediately at the feedback from players for the future titles. Final Fantasy XV wasn't an option, and probably will not be for long time considering these results.

The key point is that it didn't even sell the same ratio as X:X-2

I didn't know the game was released worldwide already. Plus, being the sequel to X in Ps2 era and being the sequel of XIII in 2011 is something rather different, the scenario changed completely in the last ten years.

@desu: I'm just speaking of drop %, I thought that was obvious. I missed FFVI, you have a point on that. It's still a great result, second after FFVI.

edit.
Who is Londa? o_O

dramatis

Selling 2,5 million copies (estimated) worldwide is not selling well? How is that so? The game took a little less than one year and half to develop, re-used almost everything from the previous game and DLCs are planned for the months to come. I think we have enough elements to guess this game will be way more profitable than XIII in the long run and also was the fastest solution in Square Enix to produce an easy-cash-in game in less than two years. Final Fantasy XV wasn't an option, and probably will not be for long time.

I didn't know the game was released worldwide already.
The one who said Square Enix didn't anticipate 13-2 selling well was you. I responded by pointing out the problem with that statement is that SE would not have greenlit and funded 13-2 if they did not think it would sell well.

I will give it its space when worldwide numbers come in. Do I have to append "in Japan" to the end of every sentence until mid-February? Or are you deliberately being prickly? Don't make up such rosy imaginary numbers on one hand and discredit my statement on the other.

On top of that, 13-2 did not reuse that much from 13. The way you describe it actually makes it sound worse and cheap and not worth $60.

Perfo

I will give it its space when worldwide numbers come in.

Then we just have to wait before discussing further the success or fail of XIII-2 with such an hurry :)

But let me speak of Japan once more and a couple of more things. I doubt Square Enix will consider the game a bomba in Japan. It didn't sell better than they expected, but it didn't sell that worse neither (based on the shipment, like usual). Now "if" in the west is capable of selling at least the same per continent, I think Square Enix will seriously consider the possibility of a XIII-3 or anyway will be seriously considering to apply the sequel-formula to every main Final Fantasy title that will come in the near future. I just think that the old-formula of making a completely new game with those long-dev.cycles simply isn't profitable anymore for them. They could be ready to sacrifice some numbers in exchange for more games released on the market. If they manage to sell 2,5 millon copies for every new Final Fantasy released every two years, that will be already more profitable than having 5 million copies sold on a 5yrs cycle like Final Fantasy XII and XIII. Final Fantasy XIII-2 global numbers will be really interesting to look at and should not be compared necessary with XIII and other episode's sales, but with the idea of seeing those same numbers repeated every two years. That way it could be considered a success.

TheExodu5

Banned
Has anyone posted detailed impressions and/or a contrast to FF XIII?

I enjoyed parts of FF XIII, and had high hopes for a sequel. If I were to get a less intrusive story, as well as a more fluid (no paradigm shift cinematic animations), yet similarly balanced (buffs/debuffs useful) battle system, I think I would be happy.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
They're probably waiting for VGchartzz to update :p
It amazed me that they actually cited VGChartzzzzzzz for one press release or something. I can't remember exactly what it was for, but I saw it here on GAF once.

Has anyone posted detailed impressions and/or a contrast to FF XIII?

I enjoyed parts of FF XIII, and had high hopes for a sequel. If I were to get a less intrusive story, as well as a more fluid (no paradigm shift cinematic animations), yet similarly balanced (buffs/debuffs useful) battle system, I think I would be happy.
Apparently this is not the case. People got through fine with ATK/BLA/HLR, ATK/BLA/BLA, ATK/ATK/BLA, ATK/BLA/DEF, ATK/HLR/HLR from what has been posted in this thread, and also what my friend tells me (these were the Optima he used most of the time, though I think he used JAM a few times). I imagine that using a Noel/Serah party for most of the game would amp up the difficulty a bit.

No dumbass Optima Shift camera pans, from what I've seen and heard, though! That's good.

TheExodu5

Banned
Apparently this is not the case. People got through fine with ATK/BLA/HLR, ATK/BLA/BLA, ATK/ATK/BLA, ATK/BLA/DEF, ATK/HLR/HLR from what has been posted in this thread, and also what my friend tells me (these were the Optima he used most of the time, though I think he used JAM a few times). I imagine that using a Noel/Serah party for most of the game would amp up the difficulty a bit.

That's a shame. I loved the idea of buffing/debuffing, and switching in defensive and/or tank positions in to eat big attacks. If the game basically plays itself as a hurt and heal game, I'm going to be disappointed.

No dumbass Optima Shift camera pans, from what I've seen and heard, though! That's good.

There should be an achievement for beating the game without using a monster lol

ronito

So am I right in hearing that this is essentially a little better than FFXIII, though not as pretty and it has a mess of a story?

RPGCrazied

I was doing that. I think I'm just going to go ahead and get it. Still want that 4disc soundtrack. That alone is $40+ elsewhere by itself. The CE guide is just sexy, I have the XIII one and its really well made.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Thanks.

And wow...looks like battles are back to hurt & heal and the game uses random encounters now?

I had the collector's edition + guide pre-ordered. I think I need to rethink my strategy here.

Very simply strategy - wait a year, buy it for $20.

Ricker

I don't think it's random encounters in the traditional sense...you see them appear but they can still be avoided,except in certain area's...at least I hope so...

Zoe

I don't think it's random encounters in the traditional sense...you see them appear but they can still be avoided,except in certain area's...at least I hope so...

It's pretty hard to avoid them in some areas. Combine that with high encounter rates and it can get frustrating fast.

Famassu

Thanks.

And wow...looks like battles are back to hurt & heal and the game uses random encounters now?
Well, enemies appear around you randomly, but it's not quite the same kind of random encounters pre-XII FFs had. It's more like you're ambushed all the time and have a chance of trying to run away if you don't want to fight. Though, of course in some places avoiding an enemy might be impossible.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
A quarterly financial report iirc.
The fact that it was used for a financial report makes it funnier. :lol

That's a shame. I loved the idea of buffing/debuffing, and switching in defensive and/or tank positions in to eat big attacks. If the game basically plays itself as a hurt and heal game, I'm going to be disappointed.
This is my major source of disappointment. The importance of JAM/ENH/DEF was something I actually liked in FFXIII, and thus it made the late postgame somewhat enjoyable.

According to desu and the Japanese Wiki, ENH got nerfed a lot. There are no En/Bar spells in either Noel or Serah's spell inventory, and neither character can learn Haste (based on the JP wiki, Noel is a better Enhancer than Serah, though that doesn't really say much). It seems to be a buff that is only possible during preemptive strikes.

There should be an achievement for beating the game without using a monster lol
Or never allowing characters to die while excluding monsters from your party. :D

Joking aside, judging by how the game works, I don't think this is possible, though there can be room for "beat boss X without using monsters" or something. There's one battle in particular that I can recall off-hand in this game where you seem to need to have a monster supporting you.

Pooya

I think they were trying to do something like Chrono Trigger for monster encounters but failed imo. I mean they were trying to have the same feel overall here too but CT was scripted somewhat, here it's not.

Lady Bird

Matsuno's Goebbels
The Japanese side has sure been quiet.
I'm surprised how nothing has been said about FFXIII-2's sales so far from Square. Maybe they're waiting/ hoping for the western side, to see how it reacts. If it ends up selling 1/3 as well, how high will the oversall sales of the game be? 1.5m-1.7m?

EDIT: Hopefully, Toriyama will be demoted to event direction again, or something. He had a chance to make a game that is supposed to be "better in everything" than a main Final Fantasy title, yet the previews so far point out towards a 8/10-ish game.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I'm surprised how nothing has been said about FFXIII-2's sales so far from Square. Maybe they're waiting/ hoping for the western side, to see how it reacts. If it ends up selling 1/3 as well, how high will the oversall sales of the game be? 1.5m?

Typically the US does about the same as Japan, roughly... and Europe is about just over half of that.

Toth

Typically the US does about the same as Japan, roughly... and Europe is about just over half of that.

Hmmm given that recent 6 million shipped figure for 13 ( I think), and only 2 million sold in JPN, I wager the game will probably generate more sales oversees.

I also feel that the game has been advertised very well over here so far, especially with those snippet videos and magazine coverage.

Lady Bird

Matsuno's Goebbels
So we can get something, like, 700+700+350 = 1.75m.

Hmmm given that recent 6 million shipped figure for 13 ( I think), and only 2 million sold in JPN, I wager the game will probably generate more sales oversees.

I also feel that the game has been advertised very well over here so far, especially with those snippet videos and magazine coverage.
But the game has not sold as much as it has shipped, not many fans are hyped for a sequel of a game that they didn't like, and most of the advertising for FFXIII-2 (aka, Lightning) is a complete lie. So it's hard to predict.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

Sell-through was much lower, closer to 5 million.

Toth

Still means the majority (3 million) were sold outside of Japan.

They also have not advertised misleadingly here as they did in Japan. All preorder stuff has been for Noel and Serah. Lightning has never been mentioned.

Add in the stronger XBox base and a release date without major releases around it, and you have more potential as well.

edit: also lets not forget that 13-2 was the highest selling title for the PS3. Seems only DS/ portable games are big sellers in Japan. I mean, even LoZ did poorly, no?

They also have not advertised misleadingly here as they did in Japan. All preorder stuff has been for Noel and Serah. Lightning has never been mentioned.

As far as I've seen it's been similar to Japan - lots of footage of that early Lightning segment mixed in with Noel/Serah stuff. The back of the European box mentions Lightning over and over again and has that giant CG artwork of her in pride of place, but actually fails to say you play as Serah.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

Add in the stronger XBox base and a release date without major releases around it, and you have more potential as well.

edit: also lets not forget that 13-2 was the highest selling title for the PS3. Seems only DS/ portable games are big sellers in Japan. I mean, even LoZ did poorly, no?

Erm, Lightning is on the box, so...

1.8 million in the US, 1.1 million in Europe.

And I doubt the 360 user base really matters much... it didn't exactly push FF13 sales over FF12/FFX-2/FFX and before, now did it. Most of those people are waiting on Mass Effect 3.

Toth

As far as I've seen it's been similar to Japan - lots of footage of that early Lightning segment mixed in with Noel/Serah stuff. The back of the European box mentions Lightning over and over again and has that giant CG artwork of her in pride of place, but actually fails to say you play as Serah.

True but most NA/ European media I have seen has focused more on the time traveling aspects, monster catching, and environments. The Lightning / Caias scene is CG so they have to show that off XD

Toth

Erm, Lightning is on the box, so...

1.8 million in the US, 1.1 million in Japan.

And I doubt the 360 user base really matters much... it didn't exactly push FF13 sales over FF12/FFX-2/FFX and before, now did it. Most of those people are waiting on Mass Effect 3.

Where are you getting those figures from? I was sure I heard FF13 was almost at 2 million copies sold (not shipped) in JPN.

Perfo

@kagari: there aren't much more sources to look at before the actual release. That's why in general is a bit premature to talk concretely of what will happen in the west :D

But let's remember that here the magazines have still a relative importance in selling a product to the core base. If FFXIII-2 manages to get higher scores than XIII and at the same time the fanbase is satisfied by it, I think it'll do way better than expected. Also, January is a month without important titles and one must wait for march for something big enough (Mass Effect 3) to come. The marketing for XIII-2 is also way more aggressive than before and they did good in telling players what to expect from this game and addressing the faults of FFXIII. Also in the West we tend to buy games for their budget (/presentation), marketing and scores more than anything else. This to say that not necessary the sequel is doomed just because the previous didn't meet the expectations. It's a complex situation overall and I don't think anything is decided just yet.

hayejin

What's the likelihood of Limited Edition selling out or going up in prices?

I kind of overspent this month and trying to tighten the wallet but at the same time I'm afraid if I don't buy the limited edition now it might sell out. Any guessers?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
What's the likelihood of Limited Edition selling out or going up in prices?

I kind of overspent this month and trying to tighten the wallet but at the same time I'm afraid if I don't buy the limited edition now it might sell out. Any guessers?

We are talking about the North American version? From the Limited Edition reveal thread:

EDIT: Confirmed Retailers include will be limited to: GameStop, BestBuy, and Amazon.

EDIT2: According to Joystiq, this LE will "Only be available in "limited quantities" "

Limited Editions used to be bunk, but these days, with MGS HD Collection and Skyward Sword's LEs going rare immediately, I'm starting to take the label seriously.... I think this one will be limited as they say. I'm not taking chances.

I have little insight into the European LEs of past games... but I believe that version will not likely be rare? If the XIII European LE was not rare, then I doubt this one will be.

Top Bottom