• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 |OT| Change the Future

survivor

Banned
So from what I gathered from the various impressions here the story is meh, the monsters party members are meh, the game is easy and it's more open. I'm definitely okay with the game focusing more on offensive paradigms so that doesn't bother me that much. The only thing is the random encounters thing. From the impressions here, almost everyone loathed it. I definitely have to watch more youtube videos/read more impressions on that cause I really hate random encounters.

How high would you say the encounter rate is? I've heard 3-5 steps, but I figured my friend was exaggerating. He really disliked the Moogle Clock since he dislikes random encounters.

But I do have a question now that you mention it. You said that some enemies will start chasing you like wolves. Based on what you're saying, wolves would normally have higher agility or something and the game didn't really adjust their speed for the area or the speed of your characters' running? Or is it because their animations typically cover more ground than your characters' standard running animation?
Definitely interested in knowing the answer to these questions

Zoe

Varion, did you try throwing Mog at treasure chests when people were around too? I thought their reactions to him were neat.

I thought all the background reactions were nice. It's hilarious running around AF4XX hearing the people gush over Noel and Serah's looks :lol

Thanks for that - you've convinced me that I don't need to go back and finish FF13, nor purchase this game. I think FF is dead to me at this point.

Well darn.. i was thinking of replaying XIII before XIII2 comes out.. if its not needed then meh.. idk. i mean i did like/appreciate the game for what it offered.

About the pre-order bonus, idk whether to go for gamestop genji bow bonus (with powerup membership - ill be using my friends) or amazon omega boss bonus. although im sure the bonus' will end up as dlc. anyones thoughts on which i should take?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Thanks for that - you've convinced me that I don't need to go back and finish FF13, nor purchase this game. I think FF is dead to me at this point.

The last numbered game was cut from an entirely different cloth.. It's just possible that the next numbered FF will be completely different. But swearing off the XIII team is a fair decision....

1stStrike

Banned
The last numbered game was cut from an entirely different cloth.. It's just possible that the next numbered FF will be completely different. But swearing off the XIII team is a fair decision....

It's not just this one, it's every FF that's come out since FF10. FF10 was OK, but the rest have all been terrible. I'm not holding my breath.

kx11

Banned
It's not just this one, it's every FF that's come out since FF10. FF10 was OK, but the rest have all been terrible. I'm not holding my breath.

ff12 had a disaster called storyline however no one can deny the FF12 exploration is beyond every other FF game and much more fun and challenging than other ff titles ( ff13 is harder but it isn't that much fun )

====

all i can say about ff13-2 that it's a mediocre FF title , i hate the characters and don't feel the story is meaningful or interesting but the quiz/tasks in the game are at least good and fun to some point and maybe at the 20th hour of the game you might get bored of it and throw it away for good .

is it worth a buy ? not really but it's worth a rent at least

i hope i won't treat this game like i treated ff13

DSC01228ere.jpg

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
You did not actually do this, right? Right? :x
Why do you think he wouldn't do it? There were many times in FFXIII where I wanted to take out the disc and break it. Probably rip apart the actual cover too while I was at it.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
No matter how much I've hated some games, breaking it has never ever crossed my mind. Sell it? Yes. Break it? I can't even imagine.
By that point, the game would probably have sold for $10 so I would rather satisfy my needs and break the disc instead of wasting time on selling it.

ff12 had a disaster called storyline however no one can deny the FF12 exploration is beyond every other FF game and much more fun and challenging than other ff titles ( ff13 is harder but it isn't that much fun )

====

all i can say about ff13-2 that it's a mediocre FF title , i hate the characters and don't feel the story is meaningful or interesting but the quiz/tasks in the game are at least good and fun to some point and maybe at the 20th hour of the game you might get bored of it and throw it away for good .

is it worth a buy ? not really but it's worth a rent at least

i hope i won't treat this game like i treated ff13

DSC01228ere.jpg

First world problems. Pathetic.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I dunno. The people who destroyed their Sonic 2006 discs kinda had reason to.

I just can't bring myself to do something like that because I paid money for it. Since that version was the Japanese version, it makes me cringe more.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
- Story - There were a few decent bits, most of them near the end (past the 2/3 of the way point when the stupidity seemed to peak. I quite enjoyed the last hour overall), but mostly this varied between mediocre to really bad. Anyone who's intending on playing the game for the story is probably going to be disappointed, especially if they don't like stories based on paradoxes. It doesn't help that it's so short.

Thanks for the detailed impressions. With the story being shorter, you mean the gameplay time feels reduced compared to XIII or the overall plot, being the script itself, containing less dialogues and cutscenes?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
It's free right now on JPSN until the 10th too.

Okay, so I don't understand how I'm supposed to get ザ・サボテンダー can someone explain this to me?

Yoshichan

Wait, I can't download it from JPSN and then use it on an EU version of the game right?

Free Omega DLC for FFXIII-2 for Xbox 360 Marketplace Japan (i.e. Amazon pre-order in US)

If its anything like Lost Odyssey you can probably redeem with a Japanese live account, download it and have it tied to your console and have it working for whatever region you buy the game for.

They had this for PSN earlier as well. Kagari mentioned it but nobody noticed... well, I noticed, but... yeah

EDIT: It seems I am incredibly late to this post. lol

Yoshichan

omggggg almost have the enemy report done.
What's your current playtime?
What a waste of money. There are hungry people in the world.
Wait, so I can't donate and break discs in two? Gee, I wonder what I've been doing these past 6 years.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Anyone with the platinum... how do I come across this guy in Academia AF500: テストカトリポ .

desu

Anyone with the platinum... how do I come across this guy in Academia AF500: テストカトリポ .

I am not sure, who did you fight when you go right from the platform that leads to the final battle? The normal normal enemy there is the boss from 13 but there is a rare yellow single version as rare spawn too. However once you fought there once, the spawns stay empty. In had to time reversal and redo the whole dungeon to get my last enemy there.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I am not sure, who did you fight when you go right from the platform that leads to the final battle? The normal normal enemy there is the boss from 13 but there is a rare yellow single version as rare spawn too. However once you fought there once, the spawns stay empty. In had to time reversal and redo the whole dungeon to get my last enemy there.

Really? Goddamnit.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Done for the night... 155/160 fragments... and 3 more things I need to get on the enemy report, but those 3 things require a bunch of needless runaround :<

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member

Okay, so I don't understand how I'm supposed to get &#12470;&#12539;&#12469;&#12508;&#12486;&#12531;&#12480;&#12540; can someone explain this to me?

Enter a fight with &#12469;&#12508;&#12486;&#12531;&#12480;&#12540;then switch to all DEF or all HLR then wait for it to evolve. It was like this in FFXIII too I believe.

Really? Goddamnit.

Once you do time reversal (yes you have to do
platforming all over again
:( ) you just have to make sure that the right monster spawn before you defeat them. I think the combination (of 3 different monsters) changes everytime you leave the platform and go back again.

Varion

I think Noel, at least his dialogue, was written better than Snow. He fits into the hero mould better, and he doesn't seem irritating at all. His actions, for the most part, seemed justified and the part where
he tears Snow apart
made me smile. Like I said in the FF community thread, I don't think I'll like Serah's English voice much since it will remind me of Omochao.

[snipped questions]
Oh god, Serah's voiced by Omochao? I wonder if that's where most of the hate came from...

But yeah, I really liked all the different bits of dialogue people had - whether it's just normal conversation, riding a chocobo, reactions to you throwing Mog, you finding things with him using it, you revealing hidden stuff or whatever. There were a few long lines that got a bit grating after you heard them too many times, but mostly they were just little harmless things that went a way towards making the people in towns feel a little more alive.

The encounter rate seems to vary from place to place, there's one particular area where 3-5 steps isn't an exaggeration at all (and the worst thing is most of the enemies in that area give 1CP each) but generally it's not quite that bad and about 10 feels more like the average. Fortunately when you're going through an area for the first time it's usually not that hard to just run past most enemies and once you're out of range then the enemy disappears off the map and you're safe. The system's a step above pure random encounters at least, but when it gets most annoying is when you go back to an area and are trying to explore. You do have access to a chocobo when you've finished an area which will get rid of random encounters, but that's not quite as awesome as it seems because when you're riding on a chocobo Mog won't react to the barely visible hidden chests anymore, which is what most things you want are. So unless you're on foot you have to find them on your own, then jump off the chocobo and use his search ability. Most of the later areas have the crazy chocobo instead of the regular one too, and unlike the regular chocobo that one gobbles its way through gysahl greens like mad so just isn't that practical until right near the end when you have more disposal income.

As for the wolves, they run much faster on the field map than your characters. Combine that with the fact that there's no safe time (the green bit at the start of the moogle clock) before the monster notices you, and once they've got their eyes on you unless you get lucky and they start running in the wrong way or something, you're going to end up in a battle because it's impossible to get out of the encounter area before they catch you. I think the ideal solution would've been to make it so that for enemies more than a certain amount of levels below you have the entire moogle clock bar as green, which would give you more than enough time to run out of the encounter area and avoid a battle while still meaning that if you wanted to fight a weaker monster to catch it then you wouldn't have any problems, but unfortunately this isn't how it works. There's actually a fragment skill that lets you kill enemies directly from the field too, but you can't get it until you have entries for every single enemy in the game, and that's pretty much the last thing anyone does so it's completely useless by the time you get it.

Thanks for the detailed impressions. With the story being shorter, you mean the gameplay time feels reduced compared to XIII or the overall plot, being the script itself, containing less dialogues and cutscenes?
The overall plot, it took me 81 hours (which is a bit longer than the forum average of about 75) to do everything for the platinum, but in terms of just the main story you could easily polish it off in about 25 or something. For some people this'll probably fine, but I love my 40+ hour RPGs so I was a bit disappointed by the length.

Enter a fight with &#12469;&#12508;&#12486;&#12531;&#12480;&#12540;then switch to all DEF or all HLR then wait for it to evolve. It was like this in FFXIII too I believe.

:( ) you just have to make sure that the right monster spawn before you defeat them. I think the combination (of 3 different monsters) changes everytime you leave the platform and go back again.
As a tip, do three healers and don't use any defenders. I tried defenders thinking that would be the best way forward... and Noel managed to kill it anyway.

And yeah, for the right of the final platform you'll get one of three encounters - either &#12471;&#12519;&#12525;&#12488;&#12523; and &#12511;&#12461;&#12473;&#12488;&#12522;, just &#12471;&#12519;&#12525;&#12488;&#12523;, or &#12486;&#12473;&#12488;&#12459;&#12488;&#12522;&#12509;. If you get the &#12471;&#12519;&#12525;&#12488;&#12523; alone one then it won't stop any of them spawning, but if you kill either the two of them or &#12486;&#12473;&#12488;&#12459;&#12488;&#12522;&#12509; then you have to rewind time and do it all again to get the remaining one(s). I thought I was done with that place, getting 100% on its map was a nightmare ;_;

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

I'm really dreading doing this again ;-; It really got on my nerves the first time.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
The overall plot, it took me 81 hours (which is a bit longer than the forum average of about 75) to do everything for the platinum, but in terms of just the main story you could easily polish it off in about 25 or something. For some people this'll probably fine, but I love my 40+ hour RPGs so I was a bit disappointed by the length.

I remember the last hrs in XIII (and XII) being almost empty of story (/cutscenes, dialogues). Basically from when you land on Pulse the story takes a long pause, maybe between 6 and 8hrs depending on how fast you are. If in XIII-2 they did cut "dead" moments like these, the experience should feel more complete and better paced. Is this the case?
I just hope the amount of actual story here is still close to the typical jrpg, just that the "grindy or boring gameplay moments without a story" (like Pulse) are cut-off for the better of it.

Can someone explain a little bit more to me about monster inheritance? Do they inherit stats from other monsters, or just abilities? And does that mean that it's best to collect a bunch of great abilities first, then slap them onto a monster with fantastic stats for the endgame?

desu

Can someone explain a little bit more to me about monster inheritance? Do they inherit stats from other monsters, or just abilities? And does that mean that it's best to collect a bunch of great abilities first, then slap them onto a monster with fantastic stats for the endgame?

No stats, just abilities which are either active so commands or attacks like ruin or passive like more hp. Pretty right on the last thing, you get the best monster by fusing like 6-8 monsters into one and then fusing that monster into another one.

No stats, just abilities which are either active so commands or attacks like ruin or passive like more hp. Pretty right on the last thing, you get the best monster by fusing like 6-8 monsters into one and then fusing that monster into another one.

So is there a limit to how many abilities a single monster can hold? And, if so, can you delete less-than-great abilities in order to free up room for better ones?

Top Bottom