• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 |OT| Change the Future

So is there a limit to how many abilities a single monster can hold? And, if so, can you delete less-than-great abilities in order to free up room for better ones?

10 abilities maximum.
If you try to get one more, it will replace the first one on the ability list (at least I couldn't find a way to delete a specific one, only the first ones disappeared).

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
I remember the last hrs in XIII (and XII) being almost empty of story (/cutscenes, dialogues). Basically from when you land on Pulse the story takes a long pause, maybe between 6 and 8hrs depending on how fast you are. If in XIII-2 they did cut "dead" moments like these, the experience should feel more complete and better paced. Is this the case?
I just hope the amount of actual story here is still close to the typical jrpg, just that the "grindy or boring gameplay moments without a story" (like Pulse) are cut-off for the better of it.

The actual amount of story is pretty short. I would say that it feels like maybe
half of FFX, which wasn't that long in the first place
.Recent jrpgs haven't been that long when it comes to main story lines. There are various points in the game where you can just stop doing the main story and do side areas instead so long pauses really depend on what the player does. I had around 120 fragments before I went into the last area. There are people who just play the main plot and complete the game at 30 fragments.

If we use FFX-2 episodes as a guide, the main story is about
13 to 14 of those episodes.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Thanks. Doing extra stuff reward players with new datalog entries or cutscenes perhaps?

Teknoman

No matter how much I've hated some games, breaking it has never ever crossed my mind. Sell it? Yes. Break it? I can't even imagine.

Seriously, i'd rather at least get some cash back then trash it lol. Then again there was an picture of someone with a Wii in a trash can awhile back.

PK Gaming

ff12 had a disaster called storyline however no one can deny the FF12 exploration is beyond every other FF game and much more fun and challenging than other ff titles ( ff13 is harder but it isn't that much fun )

====

all i can say about ff13-2 that it's a mediocre FF title , i hate the characters and don't feel the story is meaningful or interesting but the quiz/tasks in the game are at least good and fun to some point and maybe at the 20th hour of the game you might get bored of it and throw it away for good .

is it worth a buy ? not really but it's worth a rent at least

i hope i won't treat this game like i treated ff13

DSC01228ere.jpg

250px-LuffyCriesDeathOfAce.jpg

Supposedly we're getting a demo next week, i can't say i'm too excited but I'll definitely give it a spin.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Wow. I wish he could have given me the game instead though. :p

What games have been victims of being destroyed and posted on the net? I only know of:

Tales of Vesperia
Final Fantasy XIII
Sonic 2006

Aeana

Wow. I wish he could have given me the game instead though. :p

What games have been victims of being destroyed and posted on the net? I only know of:

Tales of Vesperia
Final Fantasy XIII
Sonic 2006

Every game has a photo of its disc being broken posted to 2ch.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Missing the third set of Demi fal'Cie data... what wrong choice do I have to make on the live trigger during that battle lol.

Varion

Missing the third set of Demi fal'Cie data... what wrong choice do I have to make on the live trigger during that battle lol.
Any of them I'd assume? You're probably high level enough that you could just do them all one after another and not take more than a minute to beat the boss though, so just to be sure you might as well do that. First time I played I picked the right choice last because it just seemed so ridiculous.

Not sure if this is the appropriate place for this but no other XIII thread seems nearly as active.

I stopped playing XIII about a year ago, after getting to Chapter 11. In other words, I got to "the good part" and lost interest. I got totally overwhelmed. What am I supposed to do here, exactly? I feel like all the fights suddenly got very tough. I was losing a lot.

I never crafted anything. I saved all my ingredients, though. What am I supposed to do with them?

I'd like to finish this and move on to XIII-2 when it comes out.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Not sure if this is the appropriate place for this but no other XIII thread seems nearly as active.

I stopped playing XIII about a year ago, after getting to Chapter 11. In other words, I got to "the good part" and lost interest. I got totally overwhelmed. What am I supposed to do here, exactly? I feel like all the fights suddenly got very tough. I was losing a lot.

I never crafted anything. I saved all my ingredients, though. What am I supposed to do with them?

I'd like to finish this and move on to XIII-2 when it comes out.
That's because the narrative falls off a cliff in Chapter 11. I don't like readily admitting this, but the pacing of the narrative was much better in Chapters 7 and 8. After that, I kind of got disinterested, but eh.

You can craft squat and still get away with beating this game easily. I beat the game and the majority of postgame with Tier-1 weapons, so it isn't really hard to do this as long as you have some tactical prowess.

Do not bother fighting the behemoths or the bigger enemies unless you can get pre-emptive strikes. Chapter 10 was basically your training session on how to use all the roles, including Defender, Jammer and Enhancer to your advantage. I don't think people did this much and ended up going through it with standard Blaster/Attacker/Healer/some Jammer techniques + auto-battle, but that's ok.

I'd recommend the easiest party for players to use: Light/Fang/Hope. Depending on how you like the engine to choose buffs for you, you might want to make Hope your party leader like I did (I used a Hope/Vanille/Fang party throughout Chapter 11 and swapped Sazh in every now and then, btw) and prioritize healing and buffs while giving Hope stat/HP-enhancing accessories to make sure he stays alive. But it's up to you.

Anyway... Oh hey, I can just quote myself here:
The enemies in Chapter 11 are generally harder than what you've encountered before. But you should not be having trouble with fodder like the monsters in the southwestern side of Pulse (the little creatures dancing around in the circle towards a few cliffs; they aren't difficult at all and they summon monsters for more CP). You can also try fighting against Flans or monsters in Vallis Media to get used to it.

Lightning/Fang/Hope is the way to go. I generally used Hope as my party leader so I could manually handle the buffs and healing, though. If I were you, I wouldn't try my hand too much at the single Behemoths roaming the land until you hit the level cap for that area. As a rule of thumb, do not start pouring CP into your secondary roles until postgame or unless you are doing higher level mark hunts.

The general Optimas I would use with a Hope/Fang/Light party in Chapter 11 are:
Hope/Fang/Light:
Rav/Com/Rav
Rav/Sen/Rav
Rav/Sen/Com *this should be your default paradigm, imo
Med/Sen/Com
Med/Sen/Med
Syn/Sab/Med

Extras:
Rav/Com/Com (when you finally get used to fighting enemies)
Rav/Com/Rav (when you get used to fighting enemies and have beefed up a little)
Rav/Sab/Com
Rav/Sab/Rav

Hope or Vanille/Fang/Light is one of the more versatile parties before endgame, so take advantage of their skills.

If you are having trouble with Hope's overall HP, you can either give him a few HP increasing bangles, or you can swap him out for Vanille, who becomes extremely useful due to her Saboteur techniques and her Belladonna Wand/Malboro Wand. Use her Saboteur techniques to debuff and gain an advantage in battle.

Also, take note of monsters' elemental weaknesses. Use a Librascope or a weapon/accessory that gets enemies' info after you defeat them in order to see what they're weak against. This will help you out a LOT.

If you are having trouble with taking damage during battle, do not hesitate to include a Sentinel in your party. Sentinels generally Provoke enemies into attacking them (though you must be careful that a healer or something isn't standing close to them so they don't get hit with sweeping attacks or AoE attacks, but there is nothing you can do about this if they are standing close to them, which really sucks). Having a Sentinel in your party also reduces the overall damage that your party takes somewhat. So you can always go Rav/Sen/Com with a Hope/Fang/Light party.

The best place to level up on the Steppe is towards Mah'habara, where the Behemoth is fighting with another enemy. You will always get a preemptive strike. But I would not recommend doing this until you get used to fighting on the Steppe first. If you choose to do this, take the Behemoth out first because once it gets down to 1/2 its HP, it will stand up and try to recover all of its HP, rendering your PE Strike useless. This is why I say to level up before taking these two on.

I hope that helps.

Here are more tactics and party setups in another post. You can try any of these out and see if they work out for you. You can also choose to have Lightning be your party leader if you find Hope's dying too much. I know people generally have her as their party leader. I didn't really use her much...

What you're supposed to do is go across the field to the northwest where you'll get into a cavern (you'll know you're in the right place where you'll see two big enemies fighting each other; one of them is a behemoth). It's basically a linear path all the way to the end of Chapter 11 with you going through a tower, a spring and a few town ruins.

BluWacky

Have you seen the tutorial about Cieth Stone missions? Do those, basically, in the order that they lead to each other. Start with the Cieth Stone you get to once you first get out into the field, and just do all the quests that are close to each other (i.e. new Stones that are active near where you've finished your last mission). If you've got to Chapter 11 you should be able to handle the first 10-15 missions without too much difficulty, and can then move on to the next linear part of the game.

You don't need to do anything with them, but you can upgrade your weapons and accessories with them. Without going into too much detail - ingredients give you experience towards upgrading your equipment. Organic items don't give you much experience but increase a multiplier as to how much experience you get from the items you use in upgrading. Inorganic (i.e. mechanical etc.) items give more experience but decrease the multiplier.

Assuming you don't want to look at FAQs etc, just experiment on that basis. So use items like bones, oozes etc. to up your multiplier (up to a maximum of 3x experience), then use items like semiconductors, particle accelerators etc. to get maximum experience gains.

Ok thanks guys, I guess I'll pop it in tonight after there's no doubt about the Saints-Lions game. I probably won't remember anything about what I was doing. I do like the game, though.

Zoe

Have you seen the tutorial about Cieth Stone missions? Do those, basically, in the order that they lead to each other. Start with the Cieth Stone you get to once you first get out into the field, and just do all the quests that are close to each other (i.e. new Stones that are active near where you've finished your last mission). If you've got to Chapter 11 you should be able to handle the first 10-15 missions without too much difficulty, and can then move on to the next linear part of the game.

Not to mention doing the missions in order will lead you right to where you need to go in the story.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I had friends who rushed through Chapter 11 without doing any missions at all, and they pretty much did okay. They were griping about how much of a grind it is, though. :lol

...Even though missions would reduce the amount of "forced grinding" you'd have to do. The missions also give you some equipment, so that definitely isn't bad. Getting up to the Chocobo mission might be a good thing since it'll make traveling go so much faster.

I also disliked the weapon/accessory growth system a lot just because a lot of the numbers aren't made visible to the player (experience to next level, which level is the maximum level, multiplied experience, etc), and thus players would have resort to FAQs or making up spreadsheets for cost-efficiency. Things like Vibrant Oozes and Sturdy Bones are very cheap and can be used to easily increase the multiplier if you don't have Chocobo Feathers or something, and PCs/SAs/URs/etc are what you generally use for XP (Bomb Cores/Fragments are good alternatives), but the amount of calculations for cost-effectiveness can be time-consuming if you aren't using a FAQ.

Plus getting some of the materials is awful.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone know if Daddy Bear will show up in the same place twice? 3 more fragments to go...

He sometimes switches between the same two places. At least for the earlier quizzes/fragments. Then for the second last and last one there seem to be more tendency for him to switch from the east side to the west. It depends on your luck mostly. I remember him jumping around more after i got 2 fragments from him

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Damnit... at least I got the 5 star on the last boss trophy I suppose...

Anyway, last boss is a joke for me now. Just beat it again... time to see that secret ending for reals now.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Question: How do you unlock Battle Mania?

Also, will you still get
Don Tonberry
no matter if you beat it on Easy or Normal with Monster Collector equipped? Is it like
Atilla
in that regard (ie: you must beat it on Normal to net the trophy)?

Edit: Errr... I'm asking on behalf of someone else, sorry.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Question: How do you unlock Battle Mania?

Also, will you still get
Don Tonberry
no matter if you beat it on Easy or Normal with Monster Collector equipped? Is it like
Atilla
in that regard?

Edit: Errr... I'm asking on behalf of someone else, sorry.

You can get Don Tonberry on Easy mode, iirc...

as for Battle Mania, you get it when you get the fragment for 100% clearing the Academia AF400 map.

desu

It's not worth it at all, lol

Now to figure out how I can get 99,999 damage... max I can do currently is 50,000 or so.

What kind of special attack does a kichu have!?

I recommend the turtle for the trophy.

Bring his head down, get 999% stagger, have Noel with the strongest possible weapon (afaik if you have the fragment weapon and you have 160 fragments that one should be the strongest, with accessory I had like 1000+ attack on Noel). Use the jammer skill to reduce his defense and get your self a monster that has bravery to increase your attack even more. Now bring his health down to the last bit and use Noels 5 ATB bar special attack.

If Kichu has a strong special sync attack you can just use that. My Nara had a attack that already did 60k dmg without even staggering a enemies, therefor I just stagger his head, decreased his defense and then used the attack and easily got the max dmg trophy.

RPGCrazied

I really hope those costumes will be available day 1 of release. I mean Serah gets one from a preorder bonus, surely Noel will have one too, even if its paid DLC.

Toth

What's your time at now Kagari? Curious what someone who has an idea of what they are doing can platinum the game in XD

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I feel that I can't wait any longer... urge to import... rising.

Cheska

I feel that I can't wait any longer... urge to import... rising.

By the time the game would actually arrive, the game will be close to release anyways. Heck, we're already three weeks away.

At least we can play a demo in 2 days! :p

Still curious as to what area we will be playing in. I hope SE was smart and picked something that will entice more people to buy this game at release.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
By the time the game would actually arrive, the game will be close to release anyways. Heck, we're already three weeks away.
I wouldn't say "already"... :( Sooooo slow.

Top Bottom