• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 |OT| Change the Future

Haha, has anyone read the Game Informer review? It's kind of funny, and sad. Half of it is him completely ridiculing the story and characters and basically saying it's a joke. The other half is all about how it improved upon the original in every other way. Despite this, it still gets an 8. The plot must be really, really bad. Oh man....

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Haha, has anyone read the Game Informer review? It's kind of funny, and sad. Half of it is him completely ridiculing the story and characters and basically saying it's a joke. The other half is all about how it improved upon the original in every other way. Despite this, it still gets an 8. The plot must be really, really bad. Oh man....

That score is fair though. I haven't read the review, however. But based on my experience with the game, 8 is fair.

kx11

Banned

well you don't play any FF sequel for the story ( not counting FF7 ) this one is all about the challenges and unlocking every trophy

njean777

Quick question to all that have played the game, is it more open then 13? I played the demo and enjoyed the town, but I want to know if the whole game is like this and not just a straight line like 13.

That score is fair though. I haven't read the review, however. But based on my experience with the game, 8 is fair.

You can just tell his hatred for the plot of this. He starts off with saying the best moments in FF deal with story, citing stuff from FF4, FF6, FF7, etc. He then completely outlines how bad FF13-2's story is in comparison without spoiling it (or to an extremely tiny degree). I just thought it was kind of funny because it's like he's trying to prove how the FF series has lost its way by comparing the plot of this (and to a degree, the original FF13) with previous entries.

Didn't you say the more you thought about the story/characters the more irritated you got? lol. Well, I will wait to see Jan 31.

Meanwhile Gears 3 will get a great score for its story. Yeah, I doubt I will take GI seriously.

No, it did not get a great score for its story.

"Gears has never had terribly compelling fiction and the entire arc of this final chapter is beyond predictable, but at least it’s a coherent story that doesn’t need a wiki and a three-month ARG to decipher. I’ll never hate on anyone declaring their indifference to Gears’ plot, but that’s not the reason to play through the campaign." http://www.gameinformer.com/games/g...ster-finale-millions-of-fans-are-craving.aspx

well you don't play any FF sequel for the story ( not counting FF7 ) this one is all about the challenges and unlocking every trophy

Well if we exclude FF7, then that only includes FFX-2. X-2, sure, was more focused on that stuff you mentioned, but I don't believe if you asked people what they play ANY FF for, they won't reply with the story. And I think that's the point he was making...these improvements are all good, but the reason why a lot of people play, story, is lacking. I'm not saying other elements are equally important, but I think FF is popular because of their usually impressive narrative.

Varion

Quick question to all that have played the game, is it more open then 13? I played the demo and enjoyed the town, but I want to know if the whole game is like this and not just a straight line like 13.
It's like the demo. The further you get through the main story, the more areas open up, some required, others not. And you can always go back to ones you've done already to do other things.

Zoe

This came up earlier in the demo, so I thought I'd ask here too.

A lot of you said the story was guessable from the trailers alone. Did things turn out as you predicted?

Pooya

This came up earlier in the demo, so I thought I'd ask here too.

A lot of you said the story was guessable from the trailers alone. Did things turn out as you predicted?

hmm, most of it yeah, some of it though didn't see coming hah.

mjc

So the general consensus from those who have played this, is that the story is still a muddled confusing mess?

Toth

Yeah that does not make any sense. He's describing a 9.0 + game in the second part. People are still lauding the game as an improvement over 13 so any reviewer who gave FF13 a high score should be staying true to their original intent and not suddenly lessen the score to avoid backlash like this guy seems to be doing.

Sad to see game reviewers who are not consistent.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Looking forward to it.

For the importers, can anyone recall any battles where you only have access to one character and one monster in your party? I know that there's a part when
Noel and Serah get separated and you have to use Serah solo, and it's advisable to use a monster since you'll have to fight Caius.

Any other portions other than the bit I mentioned?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Looking forward to it.

For the importers, can anyone recall any battles where you only have access to one character and one monster in your party? I know that there's a part when
Noel and Serah get separated and you have to use Serah solo, and it's advisable to use a monster since you'll have to fight Caius.

Any other portions other than the bit I mentioned?

You also fight Caius alone as Noel once.

Riposte

I suppose there is no moment which rivals entering Archylte Steppe for the first time since monsters pop up out of nowhere.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
You also fight Caius alone as Noel once.
Thanks. Duly noted.

Pretty psyched about trying to go through this with a duo rather than a trio now. It requires extra grinding, but I mind that.

...Against my better judgement, I'm pretty happy about getting the LE day one. I liked what I tinkered with in the demo on the abilities side of it. I'm shocked that they let you do so much! Noel's a Level 30 COM right now. :O

The Xtortionist said:
haha now I'm imagining a giant turtle jumping out from behind a rock and going "boo!"
Oh God... :lol

It's making me angry that ordering this on Amazon is fulfilled by "andrewset" and has has no option for release day shipping.

Don't make me go to gamestop!

PK Gaming

I really enjoyed the demo. That was possibly one of the best demo's i've ever played (i've logged about 50 minutes of game time!) though I realize the game is more flawed than I initially thought via spoilers / this thread. I was hoping for FFXIII-2 to be a smash hit, or at least a solid game.

bff3f5eb4ec5d9ef3c1611efb2c36576.gif

I'm thinking about pre-ordering XIII-2 from amazon for the Omega DLC. But does anyone know if gamestop power reward members bonus (the genji bow) is any good?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAPZ3IYfjn8&feature=youtu.be

Video I capped fighting the final boss on normal with a 5 star rating. With my current team I can 5 star it every time now.
I looked at this and wondered, "Why didn't she cast Haste to make the bar go faster?"

And then I remembered... :(

I love how you're just using the monster as bait/support. That was my intention for the battles where I was going to use the monsters, lol.

Grisby

For those who have played what is your opinion on the OST? Is it as good as FF13 or is it mostly just recycled music?

I've only heard the horrible chocobo song so far and I'm trying to decide if I want to keep my SE that has the soundtrack thingy.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Quick question while the demo downloads, how is the map now? in FF13 the map was terrible and was pretty useless most of the time trying to find the right place to go.

And how come looking up FF13-2 on Game there is a £80 "Crystal" edition for 360 but only a £50 "Collectors" for the PS3?
Or is the Crystal edition actually limited and simply sold out?

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
For those who have played what is your opinion on the OST? Is it as good as FF13 or is it mostly just recycled music?

I've only heard the horrible chocobo song so far and I'm trying to decide if I want to keep my SE that has the soundtrack thingy.
Arguably better. In terms of variety. The reused tracks are not on the 4 disc soundtrack, which in itself has 79 tracks. If you don't like vocal tracks you might dislike quite a bit of the soundtrack.

Grisby

Arguably better. In terms of variety. The reused tracks are not on the 4 disc soundtrack, which in itself has 79 tracks. If you don't like vocal tracks you might dislike quite a bit of the soundtrack.
Thanks. I definitely don't mind vocal or more pop stuff.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Are there any western reviewers who may be able to answer to question of whether or not other music tracks have had the vocals removed from the western release?

Thanks. I definitely don't mind vocal or more pop stuff.

Then XIII-2's soundtrack might be right up your alley. I absolutely adore it.

....oh but wait and see for the Western release. We already know that at least one track has had its vocals removed.... :/

cj_iwakura

Demo thoughts:

Gameplay is improved in every way, though I didn't mind NPCs chattering their thoughts as I walked by in XIII. I liked just getting the jist of what was on their mind.

Graphics.... this doesn't feel as polished as XIII to me, somehow.

Story, can't really tell, but Noel doesn't seem as despicable as I expected, so that's a plus.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
....oh but wait and see for the Western release. We already know that at least one track has had its vocals removed.... :/
I'm afraid of what they might have done with the ShootieHG Chocobo track.

...actually now that I think about it, I'm afraid of what they did with the ShootieHG boss theme too.

If they messed with any of the Joelle vocal tracks, I'll be really dissatisfied.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I'm afraid of what they might have done with the ShootieHG Chocobo track.

...actually now that I think about it, I'm afraid of what they did with the ShootieHG boss theme too.

If they messed with any of the Joelle vocal tracks, I'll be really dissatisfied.

I'm not worried about the ShootieHG tracks... They're kinda bro-ey and don't strike me as something that would be cut for offending western sensibilities (they are likely to anger the FF nerds more than the masses, actually :p)

And those Joelle tracks.... They do not sound awkward and are very beautiful. If they get cut, someone at Square Enix needs their head checked.
She probably got replaced with Leona Lewis. :/
Same with the New Bodhum tracks..

Top Bottom