• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 |OT| Change the Future

SLV

Well, is it not a trade-off that the game is only 720p, unlike 1080p on the FF XIII, that was what i hated the most about the demo :/ Looks downright ugly on a good TV. Also it supposedly fits on a single XBOX 360 DVD ? :(

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Well, is it not a trade-off that the game is only 720p, unlike 1080p on the FF XIII(

XIII (Ps3) was 720p with just pre-rendered cutscenes in 1080p. That's exactly like XIII-2. Plus now the 360 version is not anymore running in sub-res like before.

Also it supposedly fits on a single XBOX 360 DVD ? :(

It fits on one single DVD because there aren't anymore pre-rendered/recorded cutscenes. Almost everything is in-engine this time.

Thoraxes

Well, is it not a trade-off that the game is only 720p, unlike 1080p on the FF XIII, that was what i hated the most about the demo :/ Looks downright ugly on a good TV. Also it supposedly fits on a single XBOX 360 DVD ? :(

There aren't pre-rendered in-game renderer cutscenes anymore.

Autofokus

Just few enemies are visible on the field now, the majority just ambush you. You can still evade most of the encounters though, even more easily than in the previous game that forced you into corridors without a way to pass through enemies unnoticed.

How? Just running outside of the Encounter "Circle"?
Another question if you don't mind: Is it possible to follow the story without any real XIII knowledge?

Perfo

How? Just running outside of the Encounter "Circle"?

Exactly like that.

Another question if you don't mind: Is it possible to follow the story without any real XIII knowledge?

I haven't played the full game, others did, you may ask to them for more precise answers. Still from what I know, XIII-2 has been created for being enjoyed as a stand-alone title. Afterall the story is completely new, the old chracters gets just small screen-time, the tone itself is very different and the gameplay mechanics are almost all new aside the battle system. When I tried the DEMO, I though it was a new game set in the same universe, definitely not a straight-up sequel like I'd say for Mass Effect 2. I think you can skip XIII if you want without much concerns.

SLV

Oh, so i am totally mistaken, but seriously, as i am just now playing FF XIII before XIII-2 Hits, it almost looks interlaced/huge shit filter having, in comparison to FF XIII

Perfo

it almost looks interlaced/huge shit filter having

I get what you mean but I think there's some filter (or scaling res.) activated in the areas where is raining. Infact when you are battling the giant hand at start or you are inside the tunnels the game is much more clean visually than outside.

SLV

I get what you mean but I think there's some filter (or scaling res.) activated in the areas where is raining. Infact when you are battling the giant hand at start or you are inside the tunnels the game is much more clean visually than outside.

Yeah that could be it, thinking back, it looked the worst when walking around e.t.c.

Also because they worked on it six years. Final Fantasy XIII outside of Nintendo's titles, it's probably the most polished game of this generation afterall.

Something is definitely improved with XIII-2 I think, that is animations.

The jumping animations especially. They don't seem as stiff as before.

Perfo

Noel's battle and attack animations are utterly amazing.

Even cutscenes' animations are actually better when comparing XIII's in-engine's ones with XIII-2's. It's just unfortunate that the framerate instead got worse on every level.

jimmypython

Oerba in FF13-2 made me recall Star Ocean 4.......

It looks dirty and over-colored while in 13-1 it's clean and crispy - completely different art styles to me

jimmypython

apparently there is an update happened for the XBOX360 version in Japan.

it adds a new NPC to the Colosseum. there are also new items unlocked including Genji Shield (not sure if this is already in the game or not..).

nothing happened to PS3 version for now

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
I'm planning to get FF XIII-2, but I don't know which version to get. The Limited Nordic Edition seems to include some exclusive DLC which would be nice. The Collector's Edition includes the soundtrack CD and an artbook, but apparently not the DLC. The Crystal Edition includes everything from the Collector's Edition plus.. a t-shirt, I think. What do?

Go_Ly_Dow

DF analysis showed that the 360 version now renders at native 720p (1280x720) which is over a huge improvement over XIII on 360 which was 576p (1024x576).

Unfortunately, that's probably the reason why the framerate took a noticeable hit.

Perfo

CES International Exclusive Interview, FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 with Producer Yoshinori Kitase and Director Motomu Toriyama: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRo0Sx3zYuE&feature=player_embedded

Square Enix North America sat down with Producer Yoshinori Kitase and Director Motomu Toriyama of Final Fantasy XIII-2 at this years CES event in Las Vegas. They dive into topics such as downloadable content, the reception that XIII-2 has received in Japan so far, how they feel about shortening the gap time between release for XIII-2 in all regions, and their personal history with Final Fantasy. Enjoy!

In it they confirmed again future DLCs adding new areas and stories.

Toth

Perfo

If it had an ending there'd be nothing to expand on!

(actually it's made pretty obvious in-game what they're going to expand on)

Do you expect DLCs to proceed the story further after the ending or XIII-3 it's needed for doing so?

Uhm there are only 2 spaces for dlc locations right now, I am not exactly expecting a lot from the DLC. Nothing that could expand the game in a meaningful way.

Yeah, I'm expecting side stories at best. It'll be cool if quality-wise it'll be closer to "The Missing Link" (Deus Ex HR) though.

desu

Do you expect DLCs to proceed the story further after the ending or XIII-3 it's needed for doing so?

Uhm there are only 2 spaces for dlc locations right now, I am not exactly expecting a lot from the DLC. Nothing that could expand the game in a meaningful way.

What do you mean? Is it really blatant like Assassin Creed where two chapters were missing "corrupted" and then became DLC?

What do you mean? Is it really blatant like Assassin Creed where two chapters were missing "corrupted" and then became DLC?

Maybe more like Mass Effect 2 where Lair of the Shadow Broker and Arrival aren't part of the original game but part of the official storyline?

I suppose even that would be better than the zillion costume/soundtracks that Square-Enix has put out for everything else.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
apparently there is an update happened for the XBOX360 version in Japan.

it adds a new NPC to the Colosseum. there are also new items unlocked including Genji Shield (not sure if this is already in the game or not..).

nothing happened to PS3 version for now

Hopefully today or something... seems odd to push that out to 10K~ users and not 700K+ ones.

desu

You have the Historia Crux which has spaces for all areas of the game.

To the very left are 3 spaces you don't encounter in the game. One of them is Omega arena dlc, which leaves 2 spaces for whatever dlc they have planned?

Ken

Should I finish XIII before playing this? In XIII I got to where they introduce those bounty mission things in this huge grassy area where all the mobs seemed too powerful for my party. Stopped playing the game at that point.

Zoe

Should I finish XIII before playing this? In XIII I got to where they introduce those bounty mission things in this huge grassy area where all the mobs seemed too powerful for my party. Stopped playing the game at that point.

The point of this game is basically to expand on the mythology which isn't really touched on too much until the end of the previous game. If you're playing for the story, you should finish the first.

As for the mobs being too powerful for your party at that point, you were supposed to start off with the missions.

Ken

The point of this game is basically to expand on the mythology which isn't really touched on too much until the end of the previous game. If you're playing for the story, you should finish the first.

As for the mobs being too powerful for your party at that point, you were supposed to start off with the missions.
Thanks. I'm sort of interested in the story so far so I'll keep this pre-ordered. I'll put XIII back in and ask in the XIII OT for more guidance.

RPGCrazied

Nice preview on that CE guide! I'm excitied about getting it. I said it once, I'll say it twice, those costumes better be available day 1 of release! I want to play through the game first time in that red blazing outfit for Noel.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Lightning is going to be playable dlc.... there will be a Lightning dlc episode. Other FF monsters will become dlc as well...

lol.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Lightning is going to be playable dlc.... there will be a Lightning dlc episode. Other FF monsters will become dlc as well...

lol.
Shocking news.

Though I assume that the Lightning DLC episode will essentially be a 'prequel' chapter to fill in those missing nodes...?

Top Bottom