• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 |OT| Change the Future

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
As a "book", sure, but as a pre-order bonus? That seems great.
Do we know for sure that the CE doesn't come with a game case now? It looked like it was just in the same fold thing that the OST also comes in. That's really the only reason I want the steelbook - so I can put the game in a real case.

I believe it's been confirmed that the CE doesn't come with a "real game case."

But to make things difficult for you: I don't think the Best Buy CE will come with the book.... only the standard edition in a BB-exclusive bundle of game + novel.

(^ This may be for Canada only. The US site implies that the book will come with the CE.)

frequency

I believe it's been confirmed that the CE doesn't come with a "real game case."

But to make things difficult for you: I don't think the Best Buy CE will come with the book.... only the standard edition in a BB-exclusive bundle of game + novel.

Gah.

I have like 4 CE pre-orders at different places. I need to cancel 3 of them. I guess I'll cancel the BB CE order. I'm in Canada and BB up here sucks for pre-order bonuses. So I'm worried I just won't get it at all if I order now.

I'm getting CE for sure so...

But I am tempted to order a standard edition at Best Buy for the book... I mean... it's only $59.99 ($67.19 after taxes)............... I hate myself sometimes.

BocoDragon

^ You know what? Scratch that. The CE listing on the .CA site does imply you get the book.....

Why is there a whole separate SKU for "best buy exclusive" standard edition packed with the book, though? Perhaps all CEs come with the book, but only "BB exclusive" standard edition comes with the book.

frequency

^ You know what? Scratch that. The CE listing on the .CA site does imply you get the book.....

Why is there a whole separate SKU for "best buy exclusive" standard edition packed with the book, though? Perhaps all CEs come with the book, but only "BB exclusive" standard edition comes with the book.

Best Buy lets us refund in store right? So if I get it and it doesn't come with the book, I can just refund it locally? Then I can keep both my BB and FS orders and decide when they both get here.

I'll probably cancel the orders for the DLC pre-order stuff. I don't really care about digital things. I want trinkets I can add to my collection of other worthless game-trinkets.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
IGN score was expected.

Your score is expected, their is just ridiculous. And to think they scored XIII better and even that mountain of shit of Dragon Age II...
Bah. I have more respect for the 6 given by Edge.

UberTag

So...13-2 is a better game but...it scores 1 point less? Another reviewer sticking with their original score!
13-2 executes a lot of things better than FFXIII does.
That doesn't necessarily make it a better game or deserving of a higher score.

Toth

Despite my disagreements with Kagari on FF13, I am proud of her for at least sticking with her original review and basing 13-2 on it instead of suddenly changing her mind on 13.

BocoDragon

Cool, saves me $20. No standard case, no actual packaging for the soundtrack and the art book bound inside... no thanks.

I hear you. I think I'm mostly getting the CE for the idea of getting a CE*... the actual goodies don't really interest me, and the lack of the real case is blah.

<----*whore

I hear you. I think I'm mostly getting the CE for the idea of getting a CE*... the actual goodies don't really interest me, and the lack of the real case is blah.

<----*whore

lol that's usually how I am too, but after the shittacular Castlevania LOS CE I learned that they're not always necessarily better.

Pooya

Your score is expected, their is just ridiculous. And to think they scored XIII better and even that mountain of shit of Dragon Age II...
Bah. I have more respect for the 6 given by Edge.

6 from EDGE? where? I have seen the latest issue nothing in it. next one isn't out yet.

BocoDragon

Someone mentioned Kagari has a podcast? I'd be interested in subscribing. Link? Can't find on her site...

lol that's usually how I am too, but after the shittacular Castlevania LOS CE I learned that they're not always necessarily better.

Yup. Actually I'm totally off the CE kool-aid for nearly every series except FF. Even MGS I don't bother anymore.

Zoe

yes, it is a pretty accurate description........

I wouldn't say the story is missing at times though unless you want to count the optional areas. There's just not any urgency to move forward with the plot like with the first game.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I also enjoyed the Barthandelus battles, Schala. They were some of the of the few battles that actually forced me to think about my battle strategy. Also, I loved the music, and Lightning yelling "Barthandelus!" when switching paradigms.
The music was awesome. And yeah, I get the feeling what the Barthandelus battles, Chapter 10 jump, and Chapter 11 jump were intended to be were little tests or little assignments which made the player explore choices that weren't limited to COM, RAV, HLR and DEF. Debuffing and buffing became important and they made battles much easier on the player as opposed to merely sticking with the first four roles listed. Given that a lot of people I know had difficulties with these chapters makes me think that although CSB is a good system and was somewhat defined in the game, the strengths of system just weren't supported very well by the game a lot of the time to force players to experiment and come up with alternative solutions to their struggles (since emphasis in the chapters prior were to increase the Break Gauge and then pile on the enemy, while healing every now and then).

I was hoping we'd have tougher battles that took advantage of CSB in FFXIII-2, but it doesn't appear to be the case given that it doesn't feel like it has the same balancing (which is what the level caps in XIII were intended to be). :/

BocoDragon

And why this?

Don't you think that's very X-2 like? It's what I expect from a -2 FF sequel. Less of an emphasis on the overall conflict with the antagonist, more of an emphasis on smaller events in the various settings.

And why this?

The time travel aspect, relatively light-hearted rapport between Noel/Serah and the ability to travel through time and go back to things you missed, probably. Time travel in this isn't like Chrono Trigger, or, say, Doctor Who, were the plot moves on around you. In those universes the characters can't change their own pasts heavily especially with regards to their adventure, whereas in XIII-2 Noel and Serah cross their own timelines as much as the player wants. When you do, momentum is lost.

Kagari touches on this in her review.

Kagari's doing a specific article on the changes in the localization, which are, I understand, plentiful. There'll be that and a EN version review at 9pm GMT tomorrow.

Zoe

And why this?

In the first game they were racing against the clock or else they would turn into Cie'th.

This time, the story's about time travel. They're jumping around through time periods, so when they leave time just stops until they return to that era. If they fail, rewind the clock.

jimmypython

But others said the story is actually there but just non-sense and absurd. I hate reviews, it's a infinite loop of contradictions between each other, lol ~

3 Feb. is close, gotta resist!

maybe they mean the plot is all over the place that they cannot put the pieces together.=_=||

jinutsu

Neo Member
I think we don't really know (we will tomorrow).... But I imagine it's a digipak-style deal?

like so:

Not to be one of those people who cancel a pre-order because they don't like something absolutely trivial about the game... like the box art or intro music... but I may have to downgrade to the standard edition. I like being able to keep all of my games stacked neatly next to my xbox and putting a different sized box with the rest of my stuff is annoying.

Plus if I ever trade the game in it's nice being able to keep all of the collector's edition. I guess I could trade the game in without the case but that seems wrong.

Then again thanks to the 5 game deal BB had recently I got a $100 gift certificate and I HAVE to spend it all at once. I might as well keep the CE just so I can go over the $100 mark when the guide is added to it.

Thoraxes

I just think it's interesting that SE went between the two extremes instead of going for the middle ground right away on the game as far as progression and timing of it goes. Sounds like i'll put plenty of hours into this.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
whereas in XIII-2 Noel and Serah cross their own timelines as much as the player wants. When you do, momentum is lost.

In the first game they were racing against the clock or else they would turn into Cie'th.

This time, the story's about time travel. They're jumping around through time periods, so when they leave time just stops until they return to that era. If they fail, rewind the clock.

So it doesn't have anything to do with the script but just with the player's freedom to advance at his own pace. Doesn't sound negative, I guess if I want to move fast in the story and enjoying a good pacing with it I can still do it. Or else I'm given the chance to play around and doing something else.

Kagari's doing a specific article on the changes in the localization, which are, I understand, plentiful. There'll be that and a EN version review at 9pm GMT tomorrow.

I'll look forward to it.

Ricker

Well 8 is still a good score from IGN and considering they started off the Presentation score with ''Extreme polish in almost all user systems.'',and proceeded to score that part a 7,it could easily of been an 8.5 overall score...c'mon Thuesday.

So it doesn't have anything to do with the script but just with the player's freedom to advance at his own pace. Doesn't sound negative, I guess if I want to move fast in the story and enjoying a good pacing with it I can still do it. Or else I'm given the chance to play around and doing something else.

Japanese and early reviews seem to indicate that it's everything to do with the script, as it's deliberately constructed in a way that's loose and consequence free to encourage you to not be scared to go back, making it a vacuum devoid of urgency.

BocoDragon

Does anyone else think that the reasoning for localization changes are often just pulled out of people's asses?

I'm not talking about the loss of the rap vocals... that's kind of intuitive. And I'm not talking about creative English translation of Japanese.

But in XIII, the changes to the name of the paradigms in the Western version? That has got to be a combination of the clueless Japanese executives over-estimating how different western taste is from their own, and the western employees of Square Enix justifying their job and seizing the opportunity to put their stamp on it with all kinds of arbitrary changes.

Not for a second do I think that many of these changes actually reflect different Western and English tastes. It's mostly arbitrary.

Does anyone else think that the reasoning for localization changes are often just pulled out of people's asses?

I'm not talking about the loss of the rap vocals... that's kind of intuitive. And I'm not talking about creative English translation of Japanese.

But in XIII, the changes to the name of the paradigms in the Western version? That has got to be a combination of the clueless Japanese executives over-estimating how different western taste is from their own, and the western employees of Square Enix justifying their job and seizing the opportunity to put their stamp on it with all kinds of arbitrary changes.

Not for a second do I think that many of these changes actually reflect different Western and English tastes. It's mostly arbitrary.

I dunno, the Western paradigm names sound a lot more natural to me than the Japanese names. I much prefer them over the originals, honestly.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess

I think they changed them to sound more like military units as opposed to job names. I suppose it was an aesthetic/cosmetic-based change. If you look at the international versions of the game, they don't use the same names for the roles as the JP or ENG version of the game at all. For example, Synergist/Enhancer is Augmentor in German (or better yet, in Spanish it was called Inspirador (inspirer)!).

I think in E3 2009, they were still coming up with names for them. Commando/Attacker was called Gladiator, Synergist/Enhancer was Augmenter, and Jammer/Saboteur was Tactician (and those who played the French version would know that that's the name used for the Synergist in that version - Tacticien).

Optima Change/Paradigm Shift, though, I can't tell ya. I like the Optima Change better because it fits in with all the use of Latin in the game (Optimus/Optima/Optimum - "best", adj.; changing the settings for battle and using the best thing available to you). "Paradigm Shift" just makes me think of science and scientific research...

RPGCrazied

Yeah. I'm hoping the NA CE has a digipak style case. Kagari said it was fine, so I trust her. We will see more about it tomorrow.

I guess if they are stacked discs, I'll be downgrading myself, even though my order is already paid off.

We need to stop living in a world where anything less than 9 is shit, guys.

Seriously. An 8 is very good and the review more than justifies it by being upset about the story or lack of a resolution. It's not like they praise it front to back and then slap a 6 on it. The score makes sense based on the overall review. Great gameplay and presentation that fixes some problems people had with the original, but then it turns around with an even more lackluster to non-existent plot without much of an ending.

In fact I'd say an 8 is pretty generous from the sounds of things.

RPGCrazied

I bet gametrailers will give it an 8 too, or close to that. GameSpot I'm sure will end up giving it a 7 or 7.5. They have been iffy lately.

mudkyp

After watching the IGN stream, I feel like they did a good job of showing off the game in a positive light. I was already excited for the game, but the stream really kicked my hype meter to the max.

I don't see why 8 is a bad score. It's a fair score and still "above average."

For the IGN review, I think it might be because the same guy reviewed XIII and gave it an 8.9, which apparently means the game is much worse than the original. That is not what that really means, but people like to run with ideas. I am happy with the 8 score, too, Kagarai. I am NOT happy with how consistent the negative story/character feedback for the game is. I really have to prepare myself for the worst in that department, I guess. :/

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
For the IGN review, I think it might be because the same guy reviewed XIII and gave it an 8.9, which apparently means the game is much worse than the original. That is not what that really means, but people like to run with ideas. I am happy with the 8 score, too, Kagarai. I am NOT happy with how consistent the negative story/character feedback for the game is. I really have to prepare myself for the worst in that department, I guess. :/

The story/character stuff is pretty bad. I hope SE realizes this.

As for the scores... a bunch of outlets scored FF13 a bit too high, imo... and this is the result. GameInformer is guilty too... they gave 13 a 9.25 yet 13-2 is an 8, even though they say 13-2 is better in almost all ways.

mudkyp

The story/character stuff is pretty bad. I hope SE realizes this.

As for the scores... a bunch of outlets scored FF13 a bit too high, imo... and this is the result. GameInformer is guilty too... they gave 13 a 9.25 yet 13-2 is an 8, even though they say 13-2 is better in almost all ways.

I've really enjoyed your discussion of XIII-2 Kagari. Really smart and I agree, but my question is: is the story so bad it's hilarious?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I've really enjoyed your discussion of XIII-2 Kagari. Really smart and I agree, but my question is: is the story so bad it's hilarious?

Honestly... it's so bad in a sad sort of way. You know, they listened to all this feedback and made changes based on user wants while still ignoring a major component of the game.

Like it or not, a lot of people still play Final Fantasy games for the story... heck, I still do. FF13-2 had a lot of good ideas but they all fall on their face part way through and you're either left searching the datalog for answers, or waiting for eventual DLC...

It feels very incomplete in that aspect.

Top Bottom