• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 |OT| Change the Future

CE packaging is a clusterfuck and highly impractical. So if I want to take my art book or soundtrack somewhere, I have to take the entire box! Glad I "down"graded.

desu

CE packaging is a clusterfuck and highly impractical. So if I want to take my art book or soundtrack somewhere, I have to take the entire box! Glad I "down"graded.

Artbooks in SE special editions are crap anyway. Youre far better off getting a jp artbook later (if they release one).

Reveirg

New video review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqfpLcbKe5c

Very interesting part: "I couldn't enjoy the vocal performances in XIII because the characters stopped every 5 minutes to yammer on about whatever. But in XIII-2, dialogue is much more natural."

Also, anybody knows if any DLC will be available day 1 in America/Europe? (outside pre-order bonuses)

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
When you put up your review, can you post a picture of the collector's edition next to the MGS LE box or any other LE you have? I'm interesting in seeing exactly how large that box is. It's hard to get an idea of scale with nothing to compare it to.

I have a picture of it next to a normal PS3 case if that helps.

Id rather have a full retail release with closure rounding out the trilogy now to be honest. DLC sucks.

If FFXIII-2 blows my mind and cleans up the messy story in XIII, then maybe I'd be optimistic for a trilogy. As it stands, though, no, I would just like this story/world to end and have them concentrate from the beginning on building a world full of great characters and story points. Second, an episodic style DLC could turn out kind of cool, depending on how it's structured and priced.

I really want FFXIII-2, but at the same time I can't seem to get myself to pull the trigger. The talk of the story not being conclusive is kind of irking me right now. I played and enjoyed FF13 and I'm currently doing my second playthrough. Should I wait? Is the battle system really that improved? Does all the stuff open up faster than 13 (Like control of your party and stuff that was locked pretty far in to 13)?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
CE size comparison:

ff132ce.jpg

So, I have to admit. I'm getting somewhat excited to get this. Low expectations, but still excited for a JRPG to play. If it's better than Golden Sun: Dark Dawn, I will be happy.

Is there any interesting DLC even released yet? I really don't plan on buying the Omega Weapon/whatever, considering how little strategy is involved in the XIII battle system.

So now that the embargo is up, what are the major changes?
I would also be interested in know this, if there are any.

This is actually one of those times where it is probably a bad thing we're getting a release so close to the Japanese version. Otherwise, we might have gotten a more optimized release.

Thoraxes

I dunno if people saw this from the page with the unboxing video, but there seems to be an interview with the sound team!
This time, the director, Motomu Toriyama, wanted to incorporate more vocal songs to take a different direction in the new songs, and to aim for a more edgy sound; and so we ended up trying out many different vocal styles and different genres. With each song, the composer himself took the lead in direction and finished the song, but we also held regular meetings to check on each piece and inspire each other while keeping one another from deviating from the vision.
Also despite some things Toriyama is responsible for, he did get us more vocals in the game apparently.
Editor's Note: "Invisible Invader" is instrumental in the overseas version.
Raaagggeeeeeeee!

I don't exactly like the ce box and the fact that it doesn't have the regular case, but I want the Soundtrack so I'll just buy the CE.

Editor's Note: "Invisible Invader" is instrumental in the overseas version
Very lame.

Thoraxes

The song played during the fight with Atlas is a bit muffled too.

I'm surprised they didn't just change the translation like they did for all the vocal tracks in XIII (which was weird that they changed the lyrics, considering they were all originally composed in English and made sense in the first place).

I'm surprised they didn't just change the translation like they did for all the vocal tracks in XIII (which was weird that they changed the lyrics, considering they were all originally composed in English and made sense in the first place).

I wouldn't have minded if they did this for New Bodhum and Historia Crux. Amazing songs, but they could do without the Engrish.

Does this have a good villain? I know there's Caius but I don't really know what's up with him and he doesn't really seem to be a major antagonist for Noel and Serah. I could be wrong I guess but like with XIII itself I'm not seeing much in the way of a great villain.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Does this have a good villain? I know there's Caius but I don't really know what's up with him and he doesn't really seem to be a major antagonist for Noel and Serah. I could be wrong I guess but like with XIII itself I'm not seeing much in the way of a great villain.

Not really.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Some review released today list him as a great villain for the series, so I guess again you should just by yourself. I can say for myself that at least they got his character design and voice right, he is pretty menacing and bad-ass in that.

Anyway, it seems reviews are prizing the game and differently from before there's a more common opinion this time. I mean, with XIII we've seen scores ranging very often from 10 out of 10 'till 4 out of 10. This time 8/10 seems the most common. It's a good sign.

Perfo

Mhhh no... I wouldn't say I liked Dr.Cid. I expect from a Villan to be menacing more than tricky. I like bad-ass enemies like Sephiroth, maybe a little banale but I want to fear them.

He's laughably boring in the end. Last good villain to the series imo was Dr. Cid.

Dr. Cid was awesome, he was weird and was even a bit intimidatingly psychotic if I recall.

Is the game kind of like Mass Effect 2, in that it doesn't really progress a main narrative, but rather dishes out more information about the mythology in general?

Anyway I thought Sephiroth was boring because he was just dag nasty evil and his motives were hilarious. I burn down villages and kill people you like so you'll hate me!

RS4-

Put in nearly 20 hours and I have to say, I'm liking it so far. I haven't jumped into the infusion aspect of the game just yet though.

Perfo

Kagari I checked RPGsite but I've seen only the new review, where's your take on the changes made for the western version?

Top Bottom