• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
omg rite said:
Good lord, chapter 6 keeps kicking more ass.

Its the most beautiful chapter so far, nice story points as well.

How do you get the superstar trophy? Is it no retry's in a playthrough or something?(spoilerless would be nice)

kyo_daikun said:
How do you get the superstar trophy? Is it no retry's in a playthrough or something?(spoilerless would be nice)

Superstar is 5-Stars rating on a Final Boss. I got it the 1st time, but when you beat the game you can go back and fight the boss multiple times, so no sweat if you don't get it at first.

Castor Krieg said:
Superstar is 5-Stars rating on a Final Boss. I got it the 1st time, but when you beat the game you can go back and fight the boss multiple times, so no sweat if you don't get it at first.

Ah cool, I have had a bazillion retrys so far so im glad its nothing to do with that.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Chapter 9 now, 20 hours in. I'm getting fatigued. I wish I'd reach Gran Pulse now. :/

AntMurda

I'm at chapter 5 currently.

The battle system is pretty interesting. I definitely think it adds a lot more action to the game. I think the story is absolute crap. I mean who the hell wrote this. It's just a whole bunch of ridiculous babble. And I am kind of getting bored of this giant linear tunnel of a map.

I do have a question. I' keep using the Libra technique but can't find if and where to find the enemy display information that Libra is supposed to reveal to me.

survivor

Banned
AntMurda said:

The battle system is pretty interesting. I definitely think it adds a lot more action to the game. I think the story is absolute crap. I mean who the hell wrote this. It's just a whole bunch of ridiculous babble. And I am kind of getting bored of this giant linear tunnel of a map.

I do have a question. I' keep using the Libra technique but can't find if and where to find the enemy display information that Libra is supposed to reveal to me.
Press R1 if you are playing on PS3.

Einbroch

Banned
AntMurda said:

R1 on PS3.

Probably RB on 360.

dramatis

ULTROS! said:
Chapter 9 now, 20 hours in. I'm getting fatigued. I wish I'd reach Gran Pulse now. :/

Take breaks, play something else. I was lucky because I played flower for the first time simultaneously with 13. You just need about 5-8 more hours to get to Gran Pulse, so it won't hurt you to take a break.

Sorry if its redundant but is there any benefit in not using Auto battles (besides fun factor)? Im 7 hours in and havent tried -> abilities once yet.

Einbroch

Banned
Lion Heart said:
Sorry if its redundant but is there any benefit in not using Auto battles (besides fun factor)? Im 7 hours in and havent tried -> abilities once yet.
Yes, especially if you're a buffer or debuffer. If you're a Commando, I hate it when the Auto-battle uses Ruin, so I Attack x4. As a Ravager, I hate when they cast spells and mix in strike abilities. So I just -strike x4.

Seems to work out better, but the difference is minimal if you're a RAV/COM, at least so far.

Durante

Darktails said:
I'm basically torn over the question if I should just get Lost Odyssey instead because I was told that its script would be pretty well written.
The script in LO isn't particularly well written IMHO (it's also not particularly bad though). What you're thinking about/heard about are probably the various short stories interspersed throughout the game, which are well written.

Zoe

Lion Heart said:

Near the end of the game you'll have to use it if you want to use the special moves.

Another thing I noticed by the end of the game is the ATB bar is too long sometimes, so you'll want to execute before it completely fills. Course you can still use auto with that.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Regulus Tera said:
What scares me more about this articles is the implication that Toriyama is gonna work on another mainline Final Fantasy.

I guess it was to be expected, but it's still scary. Like being stranded on an island in the middle of a hurricane scary.

... Why is that scary?

survivor

Banned
I think the only thing I noticed with the Auto Battle is that some of their choices doesn't make sense. Like right now with Sazh they always use the Flamestrike spell, but I don't see why since his Magic stat is higher than his Physical.

ZeoVGM

Banned
kyo_daikun said:
Its the most beautiful chapter so far, nice story points as well.

Chapters 6 and 7 kind of blended together. I'm not sure where 7 started. Either way, this is kicking ass. I'm currently in
Hope's house
. Nice battle theme remix.

Durante said:
The script in LO isn't particularly well written IMHO (it's also not particularly bad though). What you're thinking about/heard about are probably the various short stories interspersed throughout the game, which are well written.

very well written by game standards, but they have little to do with the game, it's almost they are totally diferent worlds which occur they share the same characters.

LO is filled with classical JRPG fanfare, it's not particularly bad, isn't good either, actually FFXIII world,characters and main plot are way more engaging IMO. So if you gonna choose between LO and FFXIII by those standards you might get FFXIII, IMO of course.

omg rite said:
... Why is that scary?

NO HD towns, duh!

survivor said:
I think the only thing I noticed with the Auto Battle is that some of their choices doesn't make sense. Like right now with Sazh they always use the Flamestrike spell, but I don't see why since his Magic stat is higher than his Physical.

Monster can be resistant to magic.

Castor Krieg said:
I hate late-game encounters being so cheap. C'mon
what's the fucking point of making enemy party of 4 birds that rush you and stun the whole group, ffs? this way the game goes into 3xmedics to 2xmedics 1xsynergist till you can get buffs up; 2-3 minutes wasted
Chapter
? or earlier on?
There are similar birds grouped with 2 other enemies who cast Death which is pretty devastating... and it's not like I'm 'under-levelled' or whatever. :|

ElFly

Well, I beat chapter's 9 boss.

It was easy once I started to
beating him senseless while he charged his super attack

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Phew, just woke up. Time for day #3!

Also, YES I meant chapter 12 not chapter 2 in 50 hours :lol

Oh, is my TV going to die anytime soon or what? The game gets blurry sometimes, I don't know when. Is it like this for everyone?

Durante

omg rite said:
Chapters 6 and 7 kind of blended together. I'm not sure where 7 started. Either way, this is kicking ass. I'm currently in
Hope's house
. Nice battle theme remix.
Chapter 7 really does kick ass. And I'm not afraid to admit that I loved the 100% nomuravision FMV at the start of it :D

Yoshichan said:
Oh, is my TV going to die anytime soon or what? The game gets blurry sometimes, I don't know when. Is it like this for everyone?
Are you playing the 360 version?

runlikehell said:
Chapter
? or earlier on?
There are similar birds grouped with 2 other enemies who cast Death which is pretty devastating... and it's not like I'm 'under-levelled' or whatever. :|

Yes, same chapter. I know which pack you are talking about. Crazy idea to pair them together.

Llyranor

Not sure which chapter I'm in (4? 5?), but I just beat
Odin

Really enjoying the game so far. Pacing works well, being able to avoid many battles fairly easily is quite nice to speed things up and increase the challenge. Game's not too hard so far, but the combat system is incredibly fun (even when it's 2p). Favorite battle so far is that
Pulse mech
boss. Had some good fun with micromanaging paradigms for that one. Combat is very fast-paced, while remaining pretty compelling from a tactical standpoint. I think this game will really appeal to players who really like being able to customize and experiment builds on the fly, which paradigms allow. First thing I do whenever I get a new set of party members is going into the paradigm menu and plan out and create new paradigms for them, figuring out beforehand which combinations would work best for that group, what contingency I should have prepared for which circumstance, and so on. Good fun, and really allows you to try things out, since you can just change things around right after.

2nd boss theme is absolutely phenomenal http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDHN2pz2gzI
(1st boss theme and battle theme are nice too)

Can't say the story is some awesome work of art or anything, but I'm not sure it's necessarily worse than previous FF's.

Teknoman

AntMurda said:

Gotta pay attention to the tutorials and datalog if you dont understand something.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Regulus Tera said:
Because I hate Toriyama's work.

Hate it.

What games did Toriyama direct that was actually well received? I don't think there are any though.

Good thing I had very very very low expectations with FFXIII. I'm having fun with the game despite its faults. :p

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
ULTROS! said:
What games did Toriyama direct that was actually well received? I don't think there is any though.

Good thing I had very very very low expectations with FFXIII. I'm having fun with the game despite its faults. :p

He's only directed a few games...X-2 (a fan favorite), Revenant Wings, and XIII. Oh, and Blood of Bahamut. Which he probably did while FFXIII was progressing slowly.

ULTROS!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Kagari said:
Depth of field?
No, even the characters blur out. It's very rare but it happens sometimes :( Guess it's just me.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Regulus Tera said:
Because I hate Toriyama's work.

Hate it.

If 13 wasn't currently kicking my ass with awesome, I might agree.

Speaking of kicking my ass, WTF @ THE CHAPTER 7
GIANT MILITARY CRAFT
BOSS.

Coop

Ugh.. my game is stuck at the loading screen (after loading a save file). My next save is an hour back. I think I'm screwed.. anybody else have this happen?

gkryhewy

Durante said:
Are you playing the 360 version?

I don't get this association of "blurriness" with the 360 version. With my setup (720p DLP TV, 360 set at 720p over HDMI), the image typically looks very clean (cleaner than, say, MW2, which I think actually had a higher resolution).

But when the resolution does impact the image quality, it tends toward jagginess, which is rather the opposite of blurriness... at least in my setup.

I guess it's just that one guy who keeps saying the 360 version is "blurry" anyway.

Coop said:
Ugh.. my game is stuck at the loading screen (after loading a save file). My next save is an hour back. I think I'm screwed.. anybody else have this happen?
God no, that would be a total disaster. I've used the same save file throughout the entire game.

Volcynika

Didn't see a response, so I'll ask to see if anyone knows.

Is it easy to upgrade weapons in Chapter 9?
I keep getting credits and such from soldiers, but after applying the Vibrant Ooze and getting the X3 exp bonus, I'm just not sure how to go about getting the items I need to make use of that exp bonus. I can get a Super Conductor part of the time from this one enemy in the soldier quarters (first huge hall where soldiers respawn), but that's only part of the time and I only have found one.

Should I move forward and find more enemies?

omg rite said:
FFXIII. :p

Also, FFX-2 and FFXII: Revenant Wings.

Wow he directed the worst FF game...

Who designed the battle system? that's the true hero of the game!

Also I have a few questions regarding weapon and accessory upgrading, now that I'm on chapter 11:

- When you can transform items into another items, or rather what level is necesary?

- What accesories are the best to upgrade, there are a fuckton of them and I don't know what should I focus.

- it's "3x" the maximum multiplier?

I'm sure this has been asked before, but i've yet to figure this out.

In battles, sometimes the chain gauge goes down very quickly...sometimes it goes down very slowly. I haven't seen any abilities that specifically trigger this, so what causes it to go down slowly? It's anoying as hell in battle when I cant stagger a bad guy and have no idea why.

WHOAguitarninja said:
I'm sure this has been asked before, but i've yet to figure this out.

In battles, sometimes the chain gauge goes down very quickly...sometimes it goes down very slowly. I haven't seen any abilities that specifically trigger this, so what causes it to go down slowly? It's anoying as hell in battle when I cant stagger a bad guy and have no idea why.

COM is the job who makes the chain gauge get dwon more slowly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom