• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Castor Krieg said:
(got the Superstar trophy - yes, I'm this pro)

That's cool but stars are meaningless with grinding and fortisol/aegisol available to the player. They are not an indicator of skill.

Castor Krieg said:
1. The pacing is great till Chapter 9, since then S-E went with "let's make enemies fewer in numbers but tougher". Battles become more and more of a drag. Most of the time (I grinded a bit, and it wasn't enough) you cannot just go RAV/RAV/RAV or COM/RAV/RAV, you need to buff/debuff first or enemies will kill you. I don't like this kind of gameplay. This is evident in Chapter 13, where each battle is 2-3 minutes easily. Give me more enemies but weaker. Pairings at the very end are crazy - Sanctum Sentinel + tank? WTF.

As far as enemies go Square went the cheap route - enemies stun you and delay your actions. This is crazy, it's not really fun fighting 5 fish-birds that Rush you all the time.

2. Related to previous point - this FF is hard. I mean, really hard. Chapter 12 and 13 regular enemies are packing quite a punch. I don't understand how S-E thought they were making "accessible" FF, if majority of casual gamers will not reach the end! I guess they thought "ok, we showed them all the details of the battle system, now let's rock!" but that doesn't really work, does it? Eidolon fights, Chapter 9 boss, Chapter 13 mobs, etc.

3. Related to previous point - FINAL BOSS HAS THE ABILITY TO KO A LEADER??? WTF SQUARE!!!

You don't need to grind at all in this game, it is not necessary.

I like the high HP boss-like enemies that don't die to a strong breeze and have special attacks to look out for. Bunches of normal enemies are just tri-disaster fodder.

You're complaining about having to spend a few seconds buffing in some normal fights? How much more simplistic do you want the game to be? It's already easy enough as it is. I thought S-E should have done more with the saboteur and sentinel roles. What you're asking for is just cannon fodder you can button mash through, even though the game is already enough of a button masher. In fact, I am using a turbo controller to play this game, and the only time I move my cursor past 'auto-battle' is to use an item or technique.

Enemies stun you and delay your actions? Equip status protect items.

Maybe this game is difficult 'for a FF', but it's easy as far as games go. I'm almost through chapter 12 and had no problem with any of the random encounters or bosses (ok, the pallete swapped giant plant air-juggle killed my leader once.. lol). It's actually been easier than ch 11.

There must be some way to defend against that final boss attack.

Peff

Yoshichan said:
Where's this grinding spot? Spoiler tag :)

Right before the boss there are five gnomes that give 640 CP for a fight that lasts barely a minute. You can go back to where a single gnome is circling a treasure and they'll respawn

EDIT: Beaten! That one's good too.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Skel said:
You're talking about Chap 8 right?

At the clocktower area there is 5 of those small enemies and they give a combined 640 xp. You ran back to the "mall" area to respawn them. Don't run beyond the chest at the mall though, or else you'll respawn everything else.

I actually think the Grind spot in Chap 9 is better:

The outside area and then into the crew quarters (I think it's called), not only do you get great xp and it is easy to respawn the enemies, but they drop great component items, and incentive chips like crazy (2500 gil).
Thanks! Might be useful for my second playtrough.

Diablos said:
Lightning is a badass! I <3 her
That's not badass.

She's like a little kid who hasn't been taught to control her anger and use her words. The developers must have thought it was cute. Would it be badass if it was the other way around and Sazh or Snow was dropping the hammer on Lightning every cut scene?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Dark Octave said:
That's not badass.

She's like a little kid who hasn't been taught to cpntrol her anger and use her words. The developers must have thought it was cute. Would it be badass if it was the other way around and Sazh or Snow was dropping the hammer on Lightning every cut scene?
Actually, I'd pay to see that!

B-Dex

OK GAF, help me out!

Pandoran Spear for the better debuff success rate or Gae Bolg for improved counter effectiveness for Fang?

I mainly use Snow as my SEN so I was thinking of going Pandoran Spear for Fang cause I'd mainly only use her when I wanted her debuffs.

Good or bad idea?

Dark Octave said:
That's not badass.

She's like a little kid who hasn't been taught to cpntrol her anger and use her words. The developers must have thought it was cute. Would it be badass if it was the other way around and Sazh or Snow was dropping the hammer on Lightning every cut scene?

I have to confess I have no problem with lightning smashing Snow's face in, in fact it would definetly make me enjoy the game more :D

mjemirzian said:
Enemies stun you and delay your actions? Equip status protect items.

That's the thing - it's not a status effect. It's a visual knockback, it has nothing to do with spells. You fly high, then you drop down. If you're unlocky you will get thrown again before you do anything.

So I'm on chapter 7 and I have a question about credit chips:
The enemies are dropping them almost every battle... is it worth it to spend some time reloading here and collecting the chips, or will I be able to get money easier later on? I'm not really buying anything but I want to know! :)

Yoshichan

Dark Octave said:
:lol Actually, so would I.

DL content maybe?
Day one most definitely!

lupin23rd

Teknoman said:
Well whoever did the monster design for XIII is great.

Not sure I agree with this, but I'm only in chapter 4 so I'll reserve final judgement until I see something that is not a ridiculous looking robot or a foot-soldier :lol

I'm probably out of the loop since I haven't played a FF since the first hour of VII when it came out, but if you don't fight an Imp within the first 10 minutes, it's not a FF to me! :lol

Yoshichan

Oh what's all of the benefits for launching the enemy in the air? I know of:

1: More damage obviously since they're staggered.
2: Safe in air since they can't hit you
3: ???

Jrmint

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
So I'm on chapter 7 and I have a question about credit chips:
The enemies are dropping them almost every battle... is it worth it to spend some time reloading here and collecting the chips, or will I be able to get money easier later on? I'm not really buying anything but I want to know! :)
There is a spot in Chapter 9 that is much better for it. And they also drop incentive chips which sell for 5 times as much as credit chips.

Yoshichan

lupin23rd said:
I'm probably out of the loop since I haven't played a FF since the first hour of VII when it came out, but if you don't fight an Imp within the first 10 minutes, it's not a FF to me! :lol
I'm sure you fought Imps if you're in chapter 4 :lol They're just very different looking in this (doesn't look like classic imps at all):

QMLrstEXg.png

Skel said:
There is a spot in Chapter 9 that is much better for it. And they also drop incentive chips which sell for 5 times as much as credit chips.
They can't be used for anything else? Safe to sell then?

Hey guys I recently bought this game and Im on chapter 3. Do the characters gain experience and level up like past games? or is it only by the crystal points? I really dont get this.

Zoe

Dark Octave said:
That's not badass.

She's like a little kid who hasn't been taught to control her anger and use her words. The developers must have thought it was cute.

No, they thought that it fits her character's background.

SixStringPsycho said:
Hey guys I recently bought this game and Im on chapter 3. Do the characters gain experience and level up like past games? or is it only by the crystal points? I really dont get this.

Its all through the crystal points, you can level your weapons up later on by using items you find too.

Yoshichan

SixStringPsycho said:
There's no levels in this game. You get CP by defeating enemies and you use the points in the Sphere Grid.

Castor Krieg said:
That's the thing - it's not a status effect. It's a visual knockback, it has nothing to do with spells. You fly high, then you drop down. If you're unlocky you will get thrown again before you do anything.

Cast curse and guts (not sure what it's called in the us version.. brave maybe?), which will lower their ability to interrupt your attacks.

Alex

ULTROS! said:
That reminds me, have you tried comparing FFVII's story with FFVI's story? They're "almost" the same. :lol

XIII probably feels more like VI than VII to me, due to the character driven nature of it. Also in that half of the cast is awesome and half is totally deplorable. Also including an overly chummy monk type!

VI is the gold standard for aesthetic and art direction though. For as stupid as Magicite is and for as much bullshit praise as the game gets for it's equally hyper melodramatic characters, the art and music really sell that thing home. Bought that game the day it came out and I doubt I'll ever change my opinion that it's exactly how FF should look and sound at it's peak.

Not sure I agree with this, but I'm only in chapter 4 so I'll reserve final judgement until I see something that is not a ridiculous looking robot or a foot-soldier

Up to the point where I'm at, I'd easily argue it's some of the lesser design of the series for the monsters. Although Flan + Siren Hat does make up for a lot.

Also (probably a hunt spoiler, I dunno)
I saw a video of a gigantic Cactuar. That was pretty amazing looking. Not quite as imaginitive as the Cactrot Rapido from XI running high speed across the desert and freaking people out back in the day, but still great

Teknoman

mjemirzian said:
Cast curse and guts (not sure what it's called in the us version.. brave maybe?), which will lower their ability to interrupt your attacks.

Brave = attack up
Vigilance = interruption rate down for you, up for enemies (I think)

Doesnt Aero stun enemies for a little?

EDIT: I just really like some of the natural/feral monsters.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Need some help. I get the Chapter 7 boss down to a sliver of health every time and he destroys me with Pinpoint Beam.

Rpgmonkey

You know, Pulse/Chapter 11 is a taste of what I REALLY wanted and would have liked to see. I could really envision something like this:

-A large, wide-spread and coherently-designed world filled with monsters, weak and strong, big and small, that you can see roaming about and interacting with each other.
-Lots of unexplored territory that's pretty dangerous and always has at least one new thing.
-Large natural landscapes from forests, to cliffs, to caves, and several touches of advanced technology.
-Lots of places you can choose to go, with branching paths to other areas
-About two or three large cities, a couple towns, and some villages.
-Dungeons where you can actually explore and leave them if you want to do other things.
-Several special monster encounters.
-Getting an airship, and you can visit even more unknown locations.
-Same battlesystem
-A group of characters that you can change at will, and customize freely

I find Chapter 11 so much more interesting than the first ten it's not even funny. Looking back on it, I think the first ten chapters are kinda boring, very incohesive, and far too guided, but I forced myself through just to get to this. It's not quite amazing or anything because there's still a lot missing, but it's such a tease because it's actually sorta close to what I really would've liked to see out of this game.

Hyunkel6

Chamber said:
Need some help. I get the Chapter 7 boss down to a sliver of health every time and he destroys me with Pinpoint Beam.
Cast "protect" as soon as the battle begins on all your characters, and as soon as the effects wear out.

7Th

Dark Octave said:
That's not badass.

She's like a little kid who hasn't been taught to control her anger and use her words. The developers must have thought it was cute. Would it be badass if it was the other way around and Sazh or Snow was dropping the hammer on Lightning every cut scene?

I like Lightning because she is adorable, yes; I don't think they intended her to be a badass, she is just a girl with a sword that tried to grow too quickly and then failed miserably.

Reminds me a little of Lal'c from Diebuster, who, curiously, was also voiced by Maaya Sakamoto.

Zoe

painey said:
Thanks :( I was hoping to stay in that area for quite a bit so I was well ready for end-game.. oh well.

You don't have to go in order... I wouldn't recommend skipping though. You can always teleport around later before you end the chapter.

Raw64life

Just started playing this today. Will be the first FF game I spend more than an hour playing since VII. I like it so far, but I'm stilling hoping it gets better soon. I just got to the part
where you all get branded and are in some crystal looking place; I'm not very good at the remembering the names of everything
, and so far the game has been 2/3 watching cutscenes and 1/3 mashing X on my controller. The presentation, graphics and music are all fantastic though.

I just got the whole paradigm system thing explained to me. So what does everyone recommend I go with? I generally hate games that have features like this because I feel like no matter how I chose to level up I'm going to go online later and find out that the best way to level up the characters is something completely different from what I did.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Okay, found a good grinding spot in chapter 11. There's 4 "Rangda"s around a treasure circle. Drop 3k CP, takes about a minute to kill, and they are repopulated as soon as they are off your minimap.

Meier

I have been saving old weapons/accessories in hopes that I might be able to level then up later and they'll be good. Should I bother with this?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Raw64life said:
Just started playing this today. Will be the first FF game I spend more than an hour playing since VII. I like it so far, but I'm stilling hoping it gets better soon. I just got to the part
where you all get branded and are in some crystal looking place; I'm not very good at the remembering the names of everything
, and so far the game has been 2/3 watching cutscenes and 1/3 mashing X on my controller. The presentation, graphics and music are all fantastic though.

I just got the whole paradigm system thing explained to me. So what does everyone recommend I go with? I generally hate games that have features like this because I feel like no matter how I chose to level up I'm going to go online later and find out that the best way to level up the characters is something completely different from what I did.
It doesn't work like that.. this game is safe for you considering your concerns... You really can't level up anyone "the wrong way". The most you can do is max out each role, because they only dole out higher level caps for each role after beating certain chapters.

Basically you can't fuck this up :) Play away.

Zzoram

akilshohen said:
So I'm in Chapter 4. Should I start upgrading my weapons now, or should I wait?

You can wait. It doesn't make much of a difference at that point. When you do upgrade, use the low XP items first.

Animal parts seem to boost an XP multiplier and mechanical parts seem to reduce the XP multiplier. Animal parts are worth less XP, but should be used first to get a good multiplier.

Raw64life

BocoDragon said:
It doesn't work like that.. this game is safe for you considering your concerns... You really can't level up anyone "the wrong way". The most you can do is max out each role, because they only dole out higher level caps for each role after beating certain chapters.

Basically you can't fuck this up :) Play away.

Sounds good. Thanks.

Zoe

Nose Master said:
It's safe to progress through the story a bit in chapter 11, right? I've only done about 5 hunts and don't want to get booted out :(

You get to choose whether to move onto chapter 12.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
teh_pwn said:
Okay, found a good grinding spot in chapter 11. There's 4 "Rangda"s around a treasure circle. Drop 3k CP, takes about a minute to kill, and they are repopulated as soon as they are off your minimap.

Posted this earlier. Helped me level rather quickly and get tons of money so I could level all my weapons and accessories.

Emenis said:
Well I guess I will give a few tips for chapter 11. (Pardon me if this has all been posted already)

-

The behemoth king and white tiger that are fighting each other near the save point and passage to the caves (the place you have to go in order to continue the story) You can't miss them. You will always surprise them no matter what and if you are strong enough you can kill them within 20 seconds for 6600CP. Walk back a little pass the save point and they should respawn. I used Lightning, Fang, and Hope (Com/Com/Rav) to kill them quickly. Hope would stagger the King Behemoth and lightning would launch him and kill him. Fang would keep the stagger bar on the white tiger up so that when light kills the king they both focus on the tiger.

If they are too strong you may want to grind on the behemoth just before them for awhile. Remember to surprise him too, it's fairly easy to surprise him if you just wait on the ridge next to him. He will turn around and you just have to jump down and stay directly behind him.

-Mission 24:

I never did it but supposedly if you keep accepting mission 24 the boss will spawn nearby and shouldn't take too long to kill if you are strong enough. He gives about 6000cp and an item you can sell for 6k

-Adamantoise, you may have noticed the big guys walking around. Adamantoise are the ones with tusk and chains around their legs. They have about 5 Million HP but can be taken care of easily if you want to take them on.

You will need Vanille's Death ability and her summon. You could also upgrade belladonna to Malboro which supposedly helps with this.

Make Vanille the leader and attack an Adamantoise (The one with tusk and chains). When the battle starts quickly summon Vanille's Eidolon. The Adamantoise will fall to his knees and do nothing which at this point you can spam death on him in the hopes that it kills him quickly. It usually doesn't work for me until the Eidolon has left and my team has staggered him. He stays on the ground for a good amount of time but once he gets up you might want to just retry if death didn't work.

If you kill him though you will either get an item called Platinum Ingnot which can sell for 150,000 or a Trapezohedron which is the component needed to level your weapon to it's final form.

-If you farm Adamantoise you can get a lot of money from selling those Platinum Ingnot's and just buy vibrant oozes and perfect conductors (think they are 1600). Use 36 vibrant ooze's on any item to get to x3 exp bonus and than just use the perfect conductors to level up your item. Edit: You can also do mission 7 and get the R&D store available so that you can buy the Ultra-Compact Reactor which gives more exp than the perfect conductors. (Thanks Castor Krieg)

I think that's all for now. I'll post more if I remember something else!

I don't think I spoiled anything but please let me know if I did. I don't want to ruin anything for you guys.

ReiGun

Quick First impressions from my first 3 or so hours (however long it takes to get Shiva) of playtime:

Liking what I've played so far, especially now that the paradigm system has opened up to me and they begun to remove the training wheels. The Paradigm Shift itself is a damn cool mechanic, and I can't wait to keep progressing so that I can really dig into it. Speaking of progression, I dont mind linearity at all, but Coccon sounds so interesting from the data logs that it's kinda depressing to think I may not really get to run around in it as much as I want (I know the game opens up more later, so this could be moot).

As for the story, so far so good. I like where the plot is going, and the cast isn't half bad. Lightning and Sazh should get their own show. I need to know who to call to make this happen. Vanille can die in a fire and take that stupid off and on Australian accent with her. For all the crap people have been giving him, I'd take a million Hopes over her. And Snow is not as much of a douche as I was expecting. Even if he does have TWO popped collars.Though I wish he'd to get a real weapon and stop trying to Ippo everything. So weird seeing everyone on the field fighting a monster with guns/swords/whatever the fuck Vanille's weapon is and then he just runs up and slugs the thing. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom