• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

RpgN

cosmicblizzard said:
Okay, just fought the REAL chapter 11 boss. Wasn't as hard as everyone here was making it out to be but it was definitely intense.
The doom counter showed up just as I was about to beat him so that wasn't really anything to worry about.

I don't remember any doom counter 0_0 When does it start? He was intense but I managed to beat him at my second try which is better than some normal monsters.

Dedication Through Light said:
Chapter 11: Really the target time is just 5 Minutes?! Against
Dahaka!
Impossible! lol

Remove some of your stat boost equipment. 5 starring that fight is more about keeping him nearly permanently staggered at 999.99%

Remember part of the time requirement is based on the highest ATK or MAG in the party. Take some gear off and you will have a longer time limit.

Score = {[(Time Objective) - (Battle Time)] x (Battle Rate)} + 10,000
Time Objective = [(Enemy Strength) / (Party Member Strength)] + 8
Enemy Strength is the sum of the following:
[(HP at the start of Battle) x (enemy level)] / 16
In the case that the enemy's level is above 50, it is calculated as 50.
Party Member Strength is the sum of the following:
[(Attack power x ATB Level) / (3.5 + ATB Level)]
Attack power means the highest value between magic and physical attack.
Battle Rate = [(10,000) / (Time Objective)]

RpgN

diddlyD said:
it already pauses before the battle at the menu screen after your first loss to do this. so yer wrong.

even the second long fade in screens for street fighter 2 piss me off when i'm raging after a loss and trying to continue. so yes really.

FUCK THIS FIGHT still losing. i got him to the point where i could almost grab him, and he did something i couldn't even see, my life bars had disappeared and the camera was zoomed in on some garbage, and it zoomed out and my hp came back on the screen and i was dead. it doesn't even bother to show you what killed you.

Do you use a Defender role or whatever it's called in English? It makes handling the attacks better while you have someone to heal you. Having a defender, all the damage you receive will be halved automatically for everyone in your team. Also having an enhancer like Hope to cast haste is pretty handy to react more quickly. That's annoying what happened with you and I know exactly how it feels :(

Coxswain

diddlyD said:
and i love how retry makes you have to watch/skip all the cutscenes again. fucking hell that's some great game design. why the fuck doesn't it put you just right back into the fight?
So you can run back to level up a bit if you really need to.

K' Dash

diddlyD said:
it already pauses before the battle at the menu screen after your first loss to do this. so yer wrong.

even the second long fade in screens for street fighter 2 piss me off when i'm raging after a loss and trying to continue. so yes really.

FUCK THIS FIGHT still losing. i got him to the point where i could almost grab him, and he did something i couldn't even see, my life bars had disappeared and the camera was zoomed in on some garbage, and it zoomed out and my hp came back on the screen and i was dead. it doesn't even bother to show you what killed you.

:lol

Mandoric

Banned
marathonfool said:
Near the end of Chapter 11

Need some help collecting.
I'm looking for the 5th component for Vanille's robot. I can't find it in Oreba. Anyone know of a guide or location descriptions.

It's 100% drop off
the Nosferatu at the bottom of the stairs by the roots. First one down.

RpgN said:
I don't remember any doom counter 0_0 When does it start? He was intense but I managed to beat him at my second try which is better than some normal monsters.

He rages at around 20 minutes. Actually, I think most bosses do.

desu

diddlyD said:
yeah but the cutscenes are split into 3 different parts so i have to do this 3 times. it's just stupid game design. bound to cause more annoyance when fighting already annoying bosses like this.

Annoying? He really is one of the easiest summons to fight... its a really relaxing fight.

2 Healers and a Sabotuer and the fight is done.

Mileena

Banned
Man this 2x CP egg is really fucking amazing. Can I upgrade this thing/what does it do? 3x CP or even 2.5x CP would be pretty broken imo.

Mandoric

Banned
corkscrewblow said:
Man this 2x CP egg is really fucking amazing. Can I upgrade this thing/what does it do? 3x CP or even 2.5x CP would be pretty broken imo.

A lv. * Grow Egg
can be broken down into two Perfumes, a Micro Fusion Reactor, and a Platinum Ingot.
:lol

Hey guys, I'm on Chapter 11 and I'm wondering..

I just got here, I'm walking a bit around the plains or whatever this is and it's pretty huge. I love the dinosaur thing walking around. Anyway, I want to explore and do whatever, but at the same time, if I end up going toward the story point, will I be able to come back and do all of these questy missions and stuff later? Like, once I beat the game? Is there anything I -WON'T- be able to do if I continue on?

desu

Relaxed Muscle said:
Awful review, I liked his Deadly Premonition review, I thought he was one of the few reviewers than actually "got" that game, but this review is "oh, wow a new FF game let's ripped it since JRPG aren't cool anymore!".

It's easy, bad FF13 press = mad website hits. No one cares about "good" information about the game, you don't get hits for that.

Mileena

Banned
DownLikeBCPowder said:
Hey guys, I'm on Chapter 11 and I'm wondering..

I just got here, I'm walking a bit around the plains or whatever this is and it's pretty huge. I love the dinosaur thing walking around. Anyway, I want to explore and do whatever, but at the same time, if I end up going toward the story point, will I be able to come back and do all of these questy missions and stuff later? Like, once I beat the game? Is there anything I -WON'T- be able to do if I continue on?
You can come back before the final bosses and after you beat the game.

neoism

This is definitely my favorite FF story to date... <3, I'm loving the character's. Also HOLY SHIT,.... Calm Lands 3.0.... amazing!

diddlyD

Banned
Deepack said:
Ouch. Destructoids Jim Sterling really ripped the game a new one.

It got a 4/10

http://www.destructoid.com/review-final-fantasy-xiii-167136.phtml

Ignore if old.

he used masturbate two times while describing the game.

he really is spot on, but for some reason all these valid complaints generally aren't pissing me off as much as other people, and i'm still mostly enjoying the game, at least as much as ffx.

hopefully square can come back in ffxv, address all these shortcomings, and make a truly great rpg.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
CruxisMana said:
The original trailer showed Lightning walking through a forest, with a very similar look to the
Sunleth Waterscape.

And the trailer than revealed Snow
when he comes to save Lightning and Hope in Chapter 7
didn't feature Hope or Fang.

oh yeah, totally forgot about that.
Square pulled a MGS2 on us with a 180 on that.

Rektash

Quick question for chapter 11:

How to get me some speed shoes? I think I read something like that you need things from mission 7. You get something for this mission you need to upgrade? How much xp/gil is neccessary for that?

And btw, not giving you a hub for your chapter 11 missions is such an asshole move from squenix, its pissing me off like nothing else in this game. Also, since I leveld up a bit I have to finish the mission mobs in ridiculously short time. Its friggin impossible if I want to 5 star.

Thanks in advance!

Voyevoda007

Neo Member
My review of the game so far. I'm in chapter 12.

Graphics: 10
Gameplay: 7
Story: 2
Sound: 10

This game overall is not bad, but the story is fucken retarded.

FrankT

Still enjoying the game after 30 hours or so. I was pretty pissed right after chapter 8, but yea still solid 9ish so far. Story is getting a little off I'd say at this point though.

jjasper

Relaxed Muscle said:
Awful review, I liked his Deadly Premonition review, I thought he was one of the few reviewers than actually "got" that game, but this review is "oh, wow a new FF game let's ripped it since JRPG aren't cool anymore!".

I don't know I thought the review was pretty much spot on (not sure I would give it the same score) except the music which I think is awesome.

Rektash said:
Quick question for chapter 11:

How to get me some speed shoes? I think I read something like that you need things from mission 7. You get something for this mission you need to upgrade? How much xp/gil is neccessary for that?

And btw, not giving you a hub for your chapter 11 missions is such an asshole move from squenix, its pissing me off like nothing else in this game. Also, since I leveld up a bit I have to finish the mission mobs in ridiculously short time. Its friggin impossible if I want to 5 star.

Thanks in advance!

Is there a benefit to 5 starring them? Like is the item better?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Wow. That Destructoid review is full-bore Yahtzee on cocaine jugs full o' haterade. I'm surprised he gave it a 4!

Differences in taste aside, it's also pretty much just trying to be hateful instead of honest. Stuff like calling it the worst story of the series by far is laughable when there's games like FFVIII around. (Or much of FFX, or X-2 for many people - you get the drift.) Also saying the characters are shallow and have no personality is demonstrably not true. One of the high points of FFXIII's story is the fact that the characters have fleshed out backgrounds, are interconnected in ways much more natural and plausible than is typical for the series (again, FFVIII...), and so forth.

The Edge review made legit complaints, I think.

At any rate, on the game itself, having played it (and getting through it, nearer the endgame now), I will admit I now believe if they were going to have a super linear story-dominated game, that putting the giant open area where it is located was actually a good idea. The thing is, the "run around the world and clean up stuff" at the end of every previous FF is what is badly paced. There's no anticipation for it because you've already done most of everything, and you're just cleaning up the dregs / grinding / wasting time before walking into the endboss dungeon.

But in XIII, the fact that the big area is actually /new/, introduces a new quest system, and reveals the foreboding and mysterious place you've heard about for the entire game makes it feel like a reward instead of an afterthought.

Also, I do appreciate how the sidequest system is worked into the core storyline / backstory more than just "hey, look, a hunting guild, let us go spend a week taking random tickets from the help wanted board."

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
MechaX said:
Oh my goodness Snow's resistance group has the worst character designs ever.

Many folks on a few other forums are calling them alternately the Flower Power Rangers, the Glamvengers, or just plain Snow's Dipshit Brigade.

survivor

Banned
MrDenny said:
How can Destructoid give Pokemon heart gold/soul silver a 9.0 and FFXIII a 4.0
Okay, despite the fact that I like Pokemon games more than FF, this is really messed up. Destructoid must be really desperate for hits.

MrDenny said:

Opinions.

As irrational and shallow and fanboyish as this sounds, for the production values alone i would seriously have trouble giving this game anything lower than a 5 even if i didnt particularly enjoy the story and battle system.

Luckily, i do.

Kaijima said:
Wow. That Destructoid review is full-bore Yahtzee on cocaine jugs full o' haterade. I'm surprised he gave it a 4!

Speaking of which, Yahtzee is reviewing FFXIII next week.

Should be... interesting?

Barrett2

Played another hour today, so im' about 3.5hrs into it. I.... hate this game so far. This is just awful. Snow's brigade is the worst thing I have ever laid my eyes on. Sweet Jesus.

Jeels

Adent said:
Anyone have any sales figures on the two versions of FFXIII.

All we know sales wise is that it is supposed to be the fastest selling game of the year in the UK. =x And a 54/46 percent split between PS3/360.

Fimbulvetr said:
Depends on which
Vaan
you're talkin' about.

The one with a XXS jacket.

3384156944_22ca8cc98f_m.jpg

lawblob said:
Played another hour today, so im' about 3.5hrs into it. I.... hate this game so far. This is just awful. Snow's brigade is the worst thing I have ever laid my eyes on. Sweet Jesus.

2 chapter opens it up.

spoiler you will love to see
you barely ever see those fuckers again!
. At least through the vast majority of the game. I have yet to beat it.

Jrmint

Did you guys even read that review? It really makes me wonder how those people can get into the games industry.

He says the game plays itself the entire time? Maybe it helps you along through Chapter 3, but then you have to take control after that. I wonder if he even got that far.

What a fucking joke.

MrDenny said:

Well... Jim Starling gave Sacred 2 a 7'5.

Sacred 2.

The console version.

That unbalanced bug festival.

I played some hours, until I got 3 people following me because their quests were broken and I couldn't be able to take them out. Starling name it "fresh air in the world of console rpg".

Yes, of course FF is a much worse game. Nothing can compare the incredible storytelling and characters of Sacred 2.

survivor

Banned
DangerousDave said:
Well... Jim Starling gave Sacred 2 a 7'5.

Sacred 2.

The console version.

That unbalanced bug festival.

I played some hours, until I got 3 people following me because their quests were broken and I couldn't be able to take them out. Starling name it "fresh air in the world of console rpg".

Yes, of course FF is a much worse game. Nothing can compare the incredible storytelling and characters of Sacred 2.
But hey at least Final Fantasy 13 is almost as good as Assassin's Creed 2. That's worth something right?

Firestorm

MrDenny said:
If it was the same reviewer, I think it's because the person enjoyed Pokemon more than FFXIII. That's just what I think though. I might be some sort of conspiracy filled with moneyhats and ninjas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom