• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cep

Banned
Firestorm said:
If it was the same reviewer, I think it's because the person enjoyed Pokemon more than FFXIII. That's just what I think though. I might be some sort of conspiracy filled with moneyhats and ninjas.

And pirates.

survivor said:
But hey at least Final Fantasy 13 is almost as good as Assassin's Creed 2. That's worth something right?

The problem is that FF XIII is too good. If they broke the battle system, made shitty PS2 graphics with a lot of clipping problems, and ugly sounds, it will be enought bad to turn around and be a 10.

mjemirzian said:
Remove some of your stat boost equipment. 5 starring that fight is more about keeping him nearly permanently staggered at 999.99%

Remember part of the time requirement is based on the highest ATK or MAG in the party. Take some gear off and you will have a longer time limit.

Score = {[(Time Objective) - (Battle Time)] x (Battle Rate)} + 10,000
Time Objective = [(Enemy Strength) / (Party Member Strength)] + 8
Enemy Strength is the sum of the following:
[(HP at the start of Battle) x (enemy level)] / 16
In the case that the enemy's level is above 50, it is calculated as 50.
Party Member Strength is the sum of the following:
[(Attack power x ATB Level) / (3.5 + ATB Level)]
Attack power means the highest value between magic and physical attack.
Battle Rate = [(10,000) / (Time Objective)]

Wow this is still ridiculous, I have no clue what item I have that is stat boosting, I just pick up items that are normally drop, I mean I guess it could be that I have every crystal in the main disciplines for each character unlocked, however, these times are ridiculous ie 10 minutes on the Chapter 11 Boss
Barthandulus

RPGCrazied said:
so.. will a sent help with end boss of chapter 11?

I think its the end one, its after the tower boss.

Perhaps though for periods of healing, though my team mainly spent time between the paradigms Relentless Assault, Evened Odds, and Combat Clinic, which requires a sentinel.

Toki767

I had no problem at all with the boss at the end of Chapter 11, but I'm not sure if I should go back to grind more or if I should advance to Chapter 12. :lol

RPGCrazied

well light/hope is my healers.. sazh is my best rav.

but thats the only way I defeated the tower boss, having a sentinel in the group

Mandoric

Banned
Gamer @ Heart said:
After beating chapter 11, i can remain to complete missions, correct? Or is there a way to come back during the start of 12?

You'll get a dialog box asking if you really want to continue, and can freely choose "No" and walk back. Once you confirm to use the object behind him, your only way out is a warp from just before the final dungeon.

Rpgmonkey

Deepack said:
Ouch. Destructoids Jim Sterling really ripped the game a new one.

It got a 4/10

http://www.destructoid.com/review-final-fantasy-xiii-167136.phtml

Ignore if old.

He actually makes several good points in there. The actual numerical evaluation is too low imo, but I can relate to some of his complaints in the actual text.

I'm going to read the datalog then do my own lengthy write-up, but I don't know when or where I'll post it.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Gamer @ Heart said:
After beating chapter 11, i can remain to complete missions, correct? Or is there a way to come back during the start of 12?

If you leave 11 you can come back before/after you finish 13.

The Ending cutscene/opening cutscene to Chapter 11/12 is quite awesome and vibrant, and bright, though it felt out of place
Two undead characters in a row, this game doesnt really like killing bosses off

Reached 43 hours at this point

LiK

boy, the monsters in Chapter 11 range from easy to downright impossible at my current lvl. but it's fun. Sentinel is so freakin' useful at this point.

Alucrid said:
Is it worth farming chapter 9?
The bots and flying soldiers outside of the ship?

I would to get to the cyrsterium level, the boss of chapter 9 is a beast! Reaching the highest Role Crystals available to your characters before that boss really helped me out.

MechaX

The Chapter 13 dungeon (which I'm assuming is the last dungeon) blows. If you're at the appropriate skill level or you're overleveled, there's absolutely no point in fighting these annoying, lengthy battles. If you're underleveled, these enemies can thoroughly kick your ass in 10 seconds. Of course, a vast majority of the hallways are narrow to the point where escaping them is impossible or the enemies are fast enough that they'll catch you anyway.

Alex

I finished earlier. Overall, I liked it as much as I hated it. The neon rollercoaster of fun stupidity certainly fell the fuck apart to the point that even a big, open landmass of fun monster hunts had a hard time making up for the reprehensible piecing and pacing

It's an incredibly odd game, and even though I enjoyed it more than a lot of the rigid console titles lately I do hope it remains as an experiment and they desperately need to fire the director.

Every element of this game that had any worth was completely struggling against the shit awful direction. There's a lot of simple measures that could've made the entire thing flow so much better and it's very sad.

That review has a LOT of dead on comments. For as hateful and ridiculous as it is in some areas, it really does lay it all out there. Even if you love the title it's worth a read.

The music part really summarizes how I felt about the soundtrack perfectly. Bring on FFXIV.

wonkafest

MechaX said:
The Chapter 13 dungeon (which I'm assuming is the last dungeon) blows. If you're at the appropriate skill level or you're overleveled, there's absolutely no point in fighting these annoying, lengthy battles. If you're underleveled, these enemies can thoroughly kick your ass in 10 seconds. Of course, a vast majority of the hallways are narrow to the point where escaping them is impossible or the enemies are fast enough that they'll catch you anyway.
I agree, I ended up just using deceptisols to get through it.

abombb

Banned
I think its useless to bicker about review scores at this point, its just one sites opinion. We all know that we love the game, and I don't think we can change this man's mind about it.:lol

I'm in Chapter 8 right now where
the whole carnival is taking place. I really enjoyed the light show cut scene, and it's nice to take a break after all the heavy cut scenes that occurred before it.

eznark

Banned
I think Jim Sterling is a twat and dtoid is a worthless pile but I agree with a ton of that review. I'm only 8 hours in though, so I am still hopeful.

Fitch also game the game a 5, and I respect his JRPG opinion.

Sorry. I can't respect those review scores at all. This is one of the most polished games of this gen, and simply a blast to play once you get past the slow start of Chapters 1 and 2.

I'm really getting into the optional Missions. I've beaten Chapter 11's boss, but decided to hang around and do more of 'em. Before I knew it, I'm on 35 with 5 stars in each. >.> Debating whether I should stop there for now and advance the story. :p

DimmuBurgerKing said:
Sorry. I can't respect those review scores at all. This is one of the most polished games of this gen, and simply a blast to play once you get past the slow start of Chapters 1 and 2.

I'm really getting into the optional Missions. I've beaten Chapter 11's boss, but decided to hang around and do more of 'em. Before I knew it, I'm on 35 with 5 stars in each. >.> Debating whether I should stop there for now and advance the story. :p
you're disgusting

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Honestly this whole Chapter 11 Gran Pulse thing is so weird! It's just strange to be playing this game, which is the epitome of linear level design for 20-30 hours, and then dumped into an open sandbox world. It really is more "FFXII" than it is "Calm Lands"!

It's strange that this open level design was on the disc the whole time... We're all playing the first half of XIII, thinking "this must be what HD did to RPGs- a long hallway with pretty graphics", and then they show us Pulse, which is the very answer to the problem that XIII's early sections brought up.

I believe that if the order of XIII were reversed: an open world first half, and a linear series of levels leading up to the finale.. we would not see nearly the amount of negative buzz on this game. What is contained in this game does add up to one full RPG- really, as much game play as a previous FF.. but the way they rolled it out, the open world comes LONG after we've formed solid opinions on the game. It comes way too late for most people.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
BocoDragon said:
Honestly this whole Chapter 11 Gran Pulse thing is so weird! It's just strange to be playing this game, which is the epitome of linear level design for 20-30 hours, and then dumped into an open sandbox world. It really is more "FFXII" than it is "Calm Lands"!

It's strange that this open level design was on the disc the whole time... We're all playing the first half of XIII, thinking "this must be what HD did to RPGs- a long hallway with pretty graphics", and then they show us Pulse, which is the very answer to the problem that XIII's early sections brought up.

I believe that if the order of XIII were reversed: an open world first half, and a linear series of levels leading up to the finale.. we would not see nearly the amount of negative buzz on this game. What is contained in this game does add up to one full RPG- really, as much game play as a previous FF.. but the way they rolled it out, the open world comes LONG after we've formed solid opinions on the game. It comes way too late for most people.

While I agree with you, chapter 11 is also just a giant field with some mountains and cliffs. The amount of architecture and art used in 11 isn't very much and it still needs to be seperated by loading screens. Even the
dead city
is a very a small section. So while the freedom of the area is great, they kind of had to do it with that area because the area itself is just a field. Like they've said before, if they tried to do that with an actual RPG town the amount of art needed would be just too much.

Thrakier

So, is it just me or is the weapon upgrade system like...super dumb? I'm using a gladius lvl.4 currently and I think I will never change it anymore, despite if I decide to get ultimate weapons. WTF.

Chapter 7:
Emo-Kid enjos riding on other peoples back confirmed.

dramatis

BocoDragon said:

One area does not make up for the rest of a linear game. Moreover, FF13 has little in the content department—sure there are a lot of bosses to fight, but there's no honestly engaging exploration, nothing to make you feel at home with either Cocoon or Pulse. There are no activities outside of running, combat, and cutscenes. Can you honestly say that ONE area makes a full RPG?

Alex

BocoDragon said:
I believe that if the order of XIII were reversed: an open world first half, and a linear series of levels leading up to the finale.. we would not see nearly the amount of negative buzz on this game.

:lol

No.

Also, it's not an "open sandbox world" it's a big empty field to do the same exact shit in, fight monsters.

The pre-alpha nonsense for FF XIV had crazy more to it than the fairly boring Gran Pulse, even graphically. It's a sad state when I'm not exciting by fighting overwrought bosses, especially when I had been looking forward to the area a lot of the game.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
worldrevolution said:
While I agree with you, chapter 11 is also just a giant field with some mountains and cliffs. The amount of architecture and art used in 11 isn't very much and it still needs to be seperated by loading screens. Even the
dead city
is a very a small section. So while the freedom of the area is great, they kind of had to do it with that area because the area itself is just a field. Like they've said before, if they tried to do that with an actual RPG town the amount of art needed would be just too much.
Nautilus?

The only reason that wasn't a traditional town was in terms of level layout, minigames and event flags... the actual art for a town was basically shown here (and what amazing art it was! Nautilus was pretty and shiny and fully HD).

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
It's funny how if this had everything it has minus the Final Fantasy title it would surely receive Bayonetta's 10s, but being a Final Fantasy game it's being massively trolled by everyone.

I never had a doubt that I would love this game, and, guess what, I was right.

Thrakier said:
So, is it just me or is the weapon upgrade system like...super dumb? I'm using a gladius lvl.4 currently and I think I will never change it anymore, despite if I decide to get ultimate weapons. WTF.
This is just part of the bigger issue of character development that the game has. Namely locking stuff away until after you finish it. But no eventually you will have to level up your weapon because you are going to need the extra stats, but you will also get a stupid amount of money sometime in chapter 11 and 12 so you shouldn't have a problem doing that.

dramatis

Brazil said:
It's funny how if this had everything it has minus the Final Fantasy title it would surely receive Bayonetta's 10s, but being a Final Fantasy game it's being massively trolled by everyone.

If it didn't have the Final Fantasy title it would get lower scores.

sdornan

Brazil said:

That is an untruth.

Alex

BocoDragon said:
Nautilus?

The only reason that wasn't a traditional town was in terms of level layout, minigames and event flags... the actual art for a town was basically shown here (and what amazing art it was! Nautilus was pretty and shiny and fully HD).

It was the Gold Saucer with all content removed. They put a fucking amusement park in the game and wouldnt let you look beyond the gates.

Brazil said:

How would it get Bayonetta's 10s? :lol

I feel like I'm cheating using Fang/Snow/Hope. There's nothing remotely as powerful as this trio. I'm haven't upgraded any weapons and I'm mowing down Chapter 12. The Bosses are a joke. I've only followed the Crystalium for abilities.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
dramatis said:
If it didn't have the Final Fantasy title it would get lower scores.
Yeah, right.

You can't really believe that. Can you?

Destructoid's 4 for this game? EDGE's 5? Come on.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
dramatis said:
One area does not make up for the rest of a linear game. Moreover, FF13 has little in the content department—sure there are a lot of bosses to fight, but there's no honestly engaging exploration, nothing to make you feel at home with either Cocoon or Pulse. There are no activities outside of running, combat, and cutscenes. Can you honestly say that ONE area makes a full RPG?

Can you say the overworld in Oblivion or Fallout 3 can make a full RPG?

sdornan

I'm on Chapter 10 at the moment, and my biggest problem with the game is that I was really digging the story in the first few chapters but somewhere around the middle chapter plot development comes to a halt. I feel like I haven't learned anything new or interesting about the characters, the world, or anything else for quite a few chapters.

Brazil said:
Yeah, right.

You can't really believe that. Can you?

Destructoid's 4 for this game? EDGE's 5? Come on.
You can't really count Destructoid's score as being legitimate. Dude just like to troll for hits. His scores shouldn't even be allowed to be factored into the Metacritic score.

jjasper

Brazil said:
This game would not get 10s in any reality, no matter what its name was.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I just got past the
Aster Protoflorian.

So far, that was the toughest boss I faced yet. I'm ashamed to admit it, but it took me five tries. The first few tries I forgot I even had
Odin.
:lol

I also misunderstood the use of
Libra.
I'm surprised I was able to beat it without using it at all in the fight I won.

eznark

Banned
Brazil said:

You're nuts. If Lost Odyssey were called FFXIII it would have received universal praise. There is still SO much cache in the FF name.

I've literally been walking forward for 8 hours at this point. I am 100% in agreement with the above poster who said the open-ended stuff should come at the front. The highlights so far are taking a slight detour and grabbing a crate, then getting back on the conveyor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom