• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
Yoshichan said:
Oh and this game needs an auto-run button, like WKC.

I prefer walking, I feel more in the atmosphere of the game... only when using a female character though ;)

survivor

Banned
Sora_N said:
Are the scalebeasts those lizard things with the armor until you break/stagger them? I'm playing the game in Japanese and skipped the notice by accident so I just killed them all. :lol
Yep, it's them. Fighting against them made me appreciate Saboteur more.

YuriLowell said:
did anyone post destructoid's review? Its terrible.

It had valid points, even if it was written a bit messy or didn't elaborate enough.

The battles did take a huge risk that doesn't mesh well with everyone, there isn't enough control in this game, you're not given a lot of information about the story/backstory, the game gives itself too much credit (the first 3 hours are still a battle system tutorial...that's not fun for us, SE), etc. They were fair points, but the score was too low.

jonnybryce said:
It had valid points, even if it was written a bit messy or didn't elaborate enough.

The battles did take a huge risk that doesn't mesh well with everyone, there isn't enough control in this game, you're not given a lot of information about the story/backstory, the game gives itself too much credit (the first 3 hours are still a battle system tutorial...that's not fun for us, SE), etc. They were fair points, but the score was too low.

There certainly isn't the control you are used to, but there's more than enough control. It's just different.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
OH FOR FUCKS SAKE!

I farmed for an hour and checked my menu to see that everyone's got 999.999cp and I didn't know there was a cap. gioasgioahnigoahng

Probably missed 300k or something now, ass!!!!!!!

Ronok

Ok, I'm a bit confused as I feel like I've skipped some of the game here.... I just want to make sure I haven't. lol

This took place at the start of chapter 11.

Ok, so I've landed on Gran Pulse, got Alexander and started some missions instead of going to the story location.
The story location is reached by heading north in the central area in Gran Pulse, however, I went to the locations of mission 4-6 by going back through the area you start chapter 11 in. I went all the way around, and eventually reached an area with what looks like ruins of a city or something.
When I entered this area I got my first cut scene since entering the central area of Gran Pulse. In this Vanille tells me that she turned into Ragnarok as part of her original focus.
Now, this was strange as I was expecting to be going to another location for story continuation, and I then proceeded to head in the opposite direction, back where I came from and got another scene in which I see the flying Fal'cie.

Basically I want to know if I just entered an area from the back entrance and missed nothing, or if I some how missed stuff. lol

RPGCrazied

wow.. so i got through the 2mil hp boss on the tower, in chapter 11.

then I'm stuck again on another boss :(

Barthandelus part duex! He sure is easy to stagger, but he keeps on attacking in stagger mode.. can take all your damn buffs off.. poision you, beam attack that hits everyone. oh and has 3million HP this time..

I did manage to get him halfway, but got doom put on me. :( guess hes like, ur taking to long

Crewnh said:
Chapter 11 boss fight is BS. Took twenty freakin' minutes.

Spoilers: http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c293/Wrench-Ninja/IMAG0074.jpg

Constantly attacking all of the party, constantly inflicting status effects party wide, constantly getting rid of my buffs. If you take too long, he'll cast doom on you. Nearly died, the timer was at 800.

God I suck.

I must've gotten lucky. I put together a team to fight those annoying
Mating Dance Enemies
. It ended up being a
Fang/Snow/Hope
team and I stuck to using it because I was too lazy to switch out the team. The defensive/buff/debuff/damage dealing capabilities are insane.

I'm surprised I haven't heard people try out this combo. I don't think I'll die again in combat. :lol

Giolon

Ronok said:
<I'm confused>

Nope, you did it more or less "right". It's definitely a weak spot in the plot progression. Just kind of a casual mention of something that should really be treated as Important™. It's actually updated in the datalog as soon as you reach the open field in Chapter 11. I was kinda like "Wha?!". Anyhow, Chapter 11 is designed such that (organization/progression spoilers)
if you follow all the optional missions, it will guide you along back to the main story eventually
. It was kind of great doing it that way b/c I unlocked all sorts of goodies like
Chocobos and a teleportation network that will be ready for me to use postgame

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
RPGCrazied said:
anyway to block doom?!?
When it's a couple of seconds left of doom, instantly use summon. He'll raise you.

Yoshichan

RPGCrazied said:
didnt know that, but will he cast it again?
No clue o.o Why would a battle take 40+ minutes though :lol There's no Yiazmat in this!

Animator

Shit I wanted to buy this today with gow3 but the ps3 version was sold out. Gonna have to wait till weekend till they get their shipment in.

Is it just me or is there a big difficulty spike beginning with Chapter 10? Before I always just 'Paradigm-Shift Cancelled' and staggered enemies as quickly as I could, now it feels like I need to try to buff and debuff first, or maybe use wall with Sentinel. Am I correct that I need to be more 'strategic' or am I doing something wrong?

Yoshichan

darkpaladinmfc said:
Is it just me or is there a big difficulty spike beginning with Chapter 10? Before I always just 'Paradigm-Shift Cancelled' and staggered enemies as quickly as I could, now it feels like I need to try to buff and debuff first, or maybe use wall with Sentinel. Am I correct that I need to be more 'strategic' or am I doing something wrong?
Correct.

Brannon

About Snow...

So yeah, I'm pretty sure Snow is scum.

See, he says he loves Serah forever and ever and will always be by her, but then he gets her abducted and turned to crystal, then not even a few hours later, in front of a crowd, he straddles two women at the same time, all in front of his comatose fiancee.

Not even John Edwards was that cold-blooded. Then again, he didn't have the power of Shiva running through his veins so... yeah.

Screw you Snow!

Yoshichan

Synless

Brannon said:
About Snow...

So yeah, I'm pretty sure Snow is scum.

See, he says he loves Serah forever and ever and will always be by her, but then he gets her abducted and turned to crystal, then not even a few hours later, in front of a crowd, he straddles two women at the same time, all in front of his comatose fiancee.

Not even John Edwards was that cold-blooded. Then again, he didn't have the power of Shiva running through his veins so... yeah.

Screw you Snow!
Dude, they are scissoring each other. You telling me you wouldn't jump on that?

Jrmint

darkwings said:
so can i just waste all my components at upgrades now?
Use creature items first to get a multiplier on the upgrade xp. For example, 36 sturdy bones will give you a x3 xp bonus for upgrading your weapons/accessories.

After you have that bonus use the mechanical items and you'll see much higher xp numbers. Probably the most cost effective one is a turbo jet which gives like 770 xp at the x3 multiplier. But play around with your components and see what works.

Using the mechanical items btw also does reduce your multipliers so make sure to keep an eye on it and use the creature items when necessary to boost the multiplier back up.

probune

Crewnh said:
Chapter 11 boss fight is BS. Took twenty freakin' minutes.

Spoilers: http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c293/Wrench-Ninja/IMAG0074.jpg

Constantly attacking all of the party, constantly inflicting status effects party wide, constantly getting rid of my buffs. If you take too long, he'll cast doom on you. Nearly died, the timer was at 800.

God I suck.

I was having a hell of a time with this until I took Fang and Vanille for Imperil and Deprotect. Then I actually beat him pretty quickly. But yeah the first two times I died because of the doom counter. :(

Celcius

°Temp. member
Now that I've beaten the game, I'm walking around the huge open plains area on gran pulse and in the background I can see a huge black/red monster. I think it was also shown in the video of when you first get to pulse and it eats some flying monsters. Is there any way to actually get to it and fight it or is it just part of the background?

Animator said:
Shit I wanted to buy this today with gow3 but the ps3 version was sold out. Gonna have to wait till weekend till they get their shipment in.

Is it paranoid of me to think that the PS3 version was comparatively undershipped considering all of Microsoft's co-marketing for the game?

In Ch. 11 now. It's a bit difficult to keep track of which zone I'm in. Also, (minor gameplay spoiler)
is there a way to know if I'm headed in the correct direction to the next Cie'th Stone?
I find myself wandering around without a clear direction, but I really want to complete all these missions.

Yoshichan

celcius said:
Now that I've beaten the game, I'm walking around the huge open plains area on gran pulse and in the background I can see a huge black/red monster. I think it was also shown in the video of when you first get to pulse and it eats some flying monsters. Is there any way to actually get to it and fight it or is it just part of the background?
You can get to it after
getting the chocobo + completed some missions. You can't fight it though but you can do missions to prove your worthy for him.

Yoshichan

darkwings said:
so can i just waste all my components at upgrades now?
1, Choose equipment to upgrade.
2, Use 36 Sturdy Bones, Barbed Tails or Vibrant ooze to get a x3 bonus.
3, Use correct amount of a single EXP boosting component to instantly bring it to its maximum level (read a guide that tells you how much EXP you need for it to get maxed)

The best EXP giving components are: (all EXP boosts are averages)
Ultracompact Reactor - EXP 40,000, Buy Price 50,000
Particle Accelerator - EXP 4,800, Buy Price 10,000
Tesla Turbine - EXP 823, Buy Price 1,800
Super Charger - EXP 774, Buy Price 1,600
Turboprop - EXP 768, Buy Price 1,600

Near the end of Chapter 11

Need some help collecting.
I'm looking for the 5th component for Vanille's robot. I can't find it in Oreba. Anyone know of a guide or location descriptions.

RpgN

I think I'm at the end of chapter 12, These 'normal' monsters are getting ridicilous. They have a huge health and take such a long time to beat. They feel like bosses too. Does it get worse in chapter 13 or are the monsters similar/same?

diddlyD

Banned
chapter 10: is
bahamut
a fucking joke? 3 out of 4 times i start this fight, he's killed one of my characters before i can even get a libra off.

and i love how retry makes you have to watch/skip all the cutscenes again. fucking hell that's some great game design. why the fuck doesn't it put you just right back into the fight?

RAGE. that old SE incompetence rears its head, they never seem to be able to balance game play so it's challenging. it's either put you to sleep easy or all the sudden wall of difficulty cheap bs hard. hey guys i open with an AOE combo that knocks you into the air and then juggle you with an explosion and follow up with mah lazers killin all yer dudes lolz i'm challenging.

marathonfool said:
Near the end of Chapter 11

Need some help collecting.
I'm looking for the 5th component for Vanille's robot. I can't find it in Oreba. Anyone know of a guide or location descriptions.
There's 4 in "hidden" spots which you can find fairly easily. The 5th item is held by one of the monsters in town, and you'll be altered once you've obtained it. I think it's one of those lone creatures with the annoying shield.

jiien

diddlyD said:
bahamut
a fucking joke? 3 out of 4 times i start this fight, he's killed one of my characters before i can even get a libra off.

and i love how retry makes you have to watch/skip all the cutscenes again. fucking hell that's some great game design. why the fuck doesn't it put you just right back into the fight?

RAGE. that old SE incompetence rears its head, they never seem to be able to balance game play so it's challenging. it's either put you to sleep easy or all the sudden wall of difficulty cheap bs hard. hey guys i open with an AOE combo that knocks you into the air and then juggle you with an explosion and follow up with mah lazers killin all yer dudes lolz i'm challenging.

You know you can hit start to pause, and select while in pause to skip scenes, right? That fight is hard though. Try start with a defensive paradigm, like SEN/MED/SYN, or something (just to get over that initial hump?). I don't remember having to do it more than twice, but I know it can be hard.

Edit: My bad, you did say skip. :T

diddlyD said:
bahamut

Press start then select to skip. Or it might just be select.

diddlyD

Banned
marathonfool said:
Press start then select to skip. Or it might just be select.

yeah but the cutscenes are split into 3 different parts so i have to do this 3 times. it's just stupid game design. bound to cause more annoyance when fighting already annoying bosses like this.

roxya

diddlyD said:

If you want to change items, characters or paradigms? You kill the ability to make real strategic changes otherwise.

RpgN

roxya said:
If you want to change items, characters or paradigms? You kill the ability to make real strategic changes otherwise.

Perhaps they could have implemented 2 different ways to retry a fight? One where you can jump straight to the fight or put you back where you can still decide to grind somewhere else or use smokes etc. But I'm not complaining though, having the ability to never go through all that you've done already and skip all cutscenes, is great as well. Hopefully it will be the standard.

Okay, just fought the REAL chapter 11 boss. Wasn't as hard as everyone here was making it out to be but it was definitely intense.
The doom counter showed up just as I was about to beat him so that wasn't really anything to worry about.

Einbroch

Banned
If you're having problems with any boss, here's my advice:

- If you can play the Medic, play as the Medic.
- If you can put -sols on, do it.
- If the fight requires certain buffs/debuffs, play as that character.
- If you're fighting the last boss,
second form, play as Vanille/Fang and spam poison while the others are MED/MED. Makes the boss a joke and gets you five stars

diddlyD said:
bahamut

The point of retry is so that you can make strategic changes to your party if necessary.. If it just dumped you right back into the fight you would never even be able to do that....

I can't believe you're complaining about having to take 15 seconds to skip a few cutscenes when this sort of feature is a huge stride over restarting from your save point 3 battles and 20 minutes back.. I mean, really?

diddlyD

Banned
roxya said:

DownLikeBCPowder said:
The point of retry is so that you can make strategic changes to your party if necessary.. If it just dumped you right back into the fight you would never even be able to do that....

I can't believe you're complaining about having to take 15 seconds to skip a few cutscenes when this sort of feature is a huge stride over restarting from your save point 3 battles and 20 minutes back.. I mean, really?

it already pauses before the battle at the menu screen after your first loss to do this. so yer wrong.

even the second long fade in screens for street fighter 2 piss me off when i'm raging after a loss and trying to continue. so yes really.

FUCK THIS FIGHT still losing. i got him to the point where i could almost grab him, and he did something i couldn't even see, my life bars had disappeared and the camera was zoomed in on some garbage, and it zoomed out and my hp came back on the screen and i was dead. it doesn't even bother to show you what killed you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom