• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peff

Zzoram said:
Can they be beaten through skill before then? What's the best thing to farm pre-Turtles?

I guess you could maybe perhaps, but it's really not worth it. The best farming spot is the behemot and the other tiger thingy who are fighting before the mission marker, in that same corridor. Just go back to the save point and they'll respawn. But you should farm a little before that, just exploring and defeating the small enemies.

Zzoram

gogogow said:
Thanks. But can't a weapon turn in a lot of different ones? So how do you keep all of them?

You can buy the base weapons at the store. You need to upgrade all weapons/accessories to all their forms (you only need 1 ultimate weapon per character tho, the rest can stay in form 2).

Zoe

Zzoram said:
Can they be beaten through skill before then? What's the best thing to farm pre-Turtles?

You need to get them to fall down and then kill them before they get up. I'd don't think you'd have enough power to do that before 13 at the earliest.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
RaGe_pt said:
Just started chapter 5. Enjoying it a lot! I'm such a final fantasy sucker.

Any tips on upgrading weapons at this point?

Don't worry about it until Chapter 11, but you can try dabbling in upgrading with your preferred starting weapons. Once you get to 11, you can start farming for materials/gil so you can upgrade however you want.

Zzoram said:

Mission 24, which is repeatable after you finish off the Chapter 11 boss.

And no, you can't beat them without Death at that point. Eventually you'll be able to beat them with Fang with her summon and finally without her summon, but that's a long ways away.

gogogow

Zzoram said:
You can buy the base weapons at the store. You need to upgrade all weapons/accessories to all their forms (you only need 1 ultimate weapon per character tho, the rest can stay in form 2).
I see, thanks. I haven't checked the stores much, cause I don't have much gil lol, only 3800 after 23 hours. Unlike other FF games, I guess to get gil you have to sell components?

RaGe_pt

Zzoram said:
Don't bother upgrading.

When you do, use animal parts first to get your bonus multiplier to x3, then use mechanical parts (worth more XP but reduce multiplier back to 1).

Thanks man. Will do that "trick" you said than.

BTW is it me or when I battled those robots in chapter 4 with Vanille and Sazh, I could never (or almost) get five star rating on battles? I was playing Ravage and they weren't very effective against the robots...

firehawk12

Subete no aware
gogogow said:
I see, thanks. I haven't checked the stores much, cause I don't have much gil lol, only 3800 after 23 hours. Unlike other FF games, I guess to get gil you have to sell components?

There are specific drops that sell for a lot of gold... which is where post game farming comes into play.

Ricker

Himuro said:
Naw, none of my roles are far from maxed.

I`m kind of surprise by this,unless it`s deliberate on your part but by chapter 13,all your characters should easily have their 3 initial roles maxed out hehe...it would help you a lot ;P

Zoe

Ricker said:
I`m kind of surprise by this,unless it`s deliberate on your part but by chapter 13,all your characters should easily have their 3 initial roles maxed out hehe...it would help you a lot ;P

They only get maxed if you did all of the missions. Otherwise you need to grind.

Sushen

I'm about 3 hours in, and please tell me that the game gets much better later. I'm forcing myself to play through this game and I don't know how much more I can deal with blah experience so far...

Lince

Banned
Zzoram said:
The only thing you should do is keep 1 of every accessory/weapon, since there is a trophy for that (that includes having the upgraded forms of all of them too)

you don't need to keep them, you can sell or dismantle everything and still get the trophy... just write down somewhere what you sold so you keep track of things and don't mess up at the end.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Lince said:
you don't need to keep them, you can sell or dismantle everything and still get the trophy... just write down somewhere what you sold so you keep track of things and don't mess up at the end.

You just need to keep track of which items you can't buy. You usually only have one chance to get them, so if you forget to upgrade them at the time, you'll lose out on the achievement/trophy.

Cynar said:
Can finally kill Adamantoise and Adamantortoises without using death. <3 Genji glove

Now you just have to hope that you get 6 traps and about 30 ingots before worrying about Dark Matter farming. :lol

Chapter 11 Endboss HALP!

So I've got Lightning, Fang and Hope all with maxed role levels in their primary skills going up against Barthandeleus (sp) for the 2nd time and he has a ridiculous amount of HP. I'm switching between Delta Attack and Mystic Tower, repeatedly staggering him and wearing him down. When the boss FINALLY has about 60% health remaining, he casts Doom on Lightning and I am FUCKED because there is no way I can destroy him in the amount of time given. Any tips for this part??

polyh3dron said:
Chapter 11 Endboss HALP!

So I've got Lightning, Fang and Hope all with maxed role levels in their primary skills going up against Barthandeleus (sp) for the 2nd time and he has a ridiculous amount of HP. I'm switching between Delta Attack and Mystic Tower, repeatedly staggering him and wearing him down. When the boss FINALLY has about 60% health remaining, he casts Doom on Lightning and I am FUCKED because there is no way I can destroy him in the amount of time given. Any tips for this part??
When he staggers you should probably switch to COM/COM/COM. Outside of Eidolon battles (with one exception that you haven't reached yet, but like Eidolons it also casts Doom right at the beginning) Doom is something that the game does to tell you that you need to speed up your strategy, and many of the bosses that use it don't actually cast it on you until you've passed some internal time limit.

How is your equipment/accessories?

One more thing to remember, if you're seriously stuck: summoning an Eidolon cures you of Doom.

Lince

Banned
firehawk12 said:
You just need to keep track of which items you can't buy. You usually only have one chance to get them, so if you forget to upgrade them at the time, you'll lose out on the achievement/trophy.

that's definitely true, also the shopping/upgrading system isn't explained at all and it was by far the hardest and toughest stuff when I got my Platinum trophy last week. I wasted so much money and so many items because the game won't tell you the max level of accessories/weapons when you're upgrading them. I think they wanted everyone to buy the official guide or something.

neoism

Guys. ??
I'm at the end of character 11, and most of my characters are max level... the main 3 are at level 4 and the others are level 1. Whats the deal with the level unlocks, can I level them all to 4 before I beat the game.

neoism said:
Guys. ??
I'm at the end of character 11, and most of my characters are max level... the main 3 are at level 4 and the others are level 1. Whats the deal with the level unlocks, can I level them all to 4 before I beat the game.
No, but you can level their three primary roles to 4 before then. Their secondary roles, however, have levels 3, 4, and 5 unlocked only postgame.

neoism said:
Guys. ??

You might as well just go on and give the CP points to them after you fully max the roles at the crysterium levels. Unfortunately, you get another level after finish the subsequent chapters, and then one more level post end game.

BeeDog

After the Ch. 11 tower boss, I attempted to tackle the teleport mission marker there. The problem is, Mithridates completely obliterates me like nothing else up until now. Is there a special trick to him, or do I simply have to attempt this (much) later? :(

Cynar

firehawk12 said:
Now you just have to hope that you get 6 traps and about 30 ingots before worrying about Dark Matter farming. :lol
:lol Kill me now, haven't seen a single trap yet and I've killed quite a bunch of these turtles with death spam before

Zoe

BeeDog said:
After the Ch. 11 tower boss, I attempted to tackle the teleport mission marker there. The problem is, Mithridates completely obliterates me like nothing else up until now. Is there a special trick to him, or do I simply have to attempt this (much) later? :(

I ended up skipping him. Don't sweat it if you're gonna do more missions later on anyway.

nilay

BeeDog said:

i equiped lots of anti-thunder items and had barthunder and haste always cast on my characters in order to survive

BeeDog

Zoe said:
I ended up skipping him. Don't sweat it if you're gonna do more missions later on anyway.

Alright, guess I'll leave him be then. The thing is, I wanna use a teleporter to get back to the earlier Ch. 11 areas, and the closest stone I know of is at the beginning of the outside Tower area, which is a fair ways off (and I still have to descend the tower to go there, and surprise! Mithridates awaits me after the elevator ride). Anyone got any suggestions here? When's the next teleporter mission stone coming up (and is it easier than this one)?

neoism

badcrumble said:
No, but you can level their three primary roles to 4 before then. Their secondary roles, however, have levels 3, 4, and 5 unlocked only postgame.
damn I think I overleveled then... I thought, you could go to level 4 with them all, and level 5 unlocked after the game... :(

Peff

BeeDog said:
Alright, guess I'll leave him be then. The thing is, I wanna use a teleporter to get back to the earlier Ch. 11 areas, and the closest stone I know of is at the beginning of the outside Tower area, which is a fair ways off (and I still have to descend the tower to go there, and surprise! Mithridates awaits me after the elevator ride). Anyone got any suggestions here? When's the next teleporter mission stone coming up (and is it easier than this one)?

It's coming right now, and it's not very hard at all.

neoism said:
damn I think I overleveled then... I thought, you could go to level 4 with them all, and level 5 unlocked after the game... :(
Hey, nothing wrong with overleveling as long as you use that power intelligently, the game scales its ratings so it'll be tougher for you to five-star battles now.

Fimbulvetr said:
Holy shit, is Square's philosophy true?

Or is this proof that JRPG haters have bad taste in JRPGs?

Seriously, that's the second JRPG hater I've heard make this claim. I thought he was just lying though. Don't get me wrong, the game isn't THAT terrible, but fuck.

So what does that make me; a JRPG lover that thinks this is one of the best games all gen?

Mother fucking cheap ass bosses

Orphan keeps insta-KOing me when I have him down to the last stagger I need to end his first form =/

Any tips?

eXistor

Sushen said:
I'm about 3 hours in, and please tell me that the game gets much better later. I'm forcing myself to play through this game and I don't know how much more I can deal with blah experience so far...
It does get better, not much though. After about 20-25 hours the tutorial ends and you get to actually play the game for a bit before returning to linear corridors for the rest of the game. After you've finished the game you can finally enjoy the game properly for about 20 more hours before repetition sets in. All in all it really depends on what you're looking for in the game, but if you don't really like the first 3 hours, then I think you're not gonna be a fan of the rest of the game. I wasn't.

BigJonsson said:
Mother fucking cheap ass bosses

Orphan keeps insta-KOing me when I have him down to the last stagger I need to end his first form =/

Any tips?
Buy and equip cherub's crowns (I think they're called) on your main character, it reduces chance of death with about 66% iirc.

eXistor said:
It does get better, not much though. After about 20-25 hours the tutorial ends and you get to actually play the game for a bit before returning to linear corridors for the rest of the game. After you've finished the game you can finally enjoy the game properly for about 20 more hours before repetition sets in. All in all it really depends on what you're looking for in the game, but if you don't really like the first 3 hours, then I think you're not gonna be a fan of the rest of the game. I wasn't.

Buy and equip cherub's crowns (I think they're called) on your main character, it reduces chance of death with about 66% iirc.

That would work

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Cynar said:
:lol Kill me now, haven't seen a single trap yet and I've killed quite a bunch of these turtles with death spam before

I think they programmed it so that the moment you don't need Traps, you start getting a ton of them. I ended with 11. :lol

Lince said:
that's definitely true, also the shopping/upgrading system isn't explained at all and it was by far the hardest and toughest stuff when I got my Platinum trophy last week. I wasted so much money and so many items because the game won't tell you the max level of accessories/weapons when you're upgrading them. I think they wanted everyone to buy the official guide or something.

Yeah. Thankfully the Xbox Achievement people put up some great guides. Saved me quite a bit of time/money.

desverger

Completed this beast tonight. Took me 60 hours, I suppose I could've done it in 55 but I wanted to do some missions and get the Genji Glove so I could have more damage on the last boss.

Speaking of the last boss..

With a Genji Glove and a tier 3 weapon I pounded the first form down in 1 stagger, but the second form was much more painful, until I realized this is one of the rare battles in 13 where you actually have to play defensively, especially after he starts spamming status ailments. The 3rd form was such a joke, I used highwind when he had 25% health and down he went with 5 stars. Also got the achievement, I'm not sure if you had to 5-star all the battles or just the last one.

Overall - wow, what a game. I definitely enjoyed it. My only moment of hesitance was at the beginning of chapter 11 - odd, I know, but it definitely picked up from there. I enjoyed the battle system a lot, it most certainly held the game together for me. Sure, it's not perfect, but I always found a way to go around it's flaws. The thing I liked about it most how fluent it made some boss battles, when you're balancing between offense and defense just enough to make that damn chain gauge go up. Hectic stuff, and it made for some thoroughly enjoyable boss battles.

I think I'll 5-star the missions and max all the roles, I don't want to put the game down just yet. I actually got addicted to 5-starring them when searching for the Glove :lol

Himuro said:
I have 10 deceptols from the robot.

Skipping everything so I can beat this game already. Then I can be FREEEE.

Final Fantasy XIII, the only game where even the haters play it during 50 hours.

That thing is very strange. I'm not able to play 50 hours (or even 5) hours, with games that I hate. I'm not able to play that amount of time in games that are simply ok, or even some good games.

But in this thread I see a lot of people hating the game, but playing 50 hours. That's some kind of videogame related masochism.

ZeoVGM

Banned
DangerousDave said:
Final Fantasy XIII, the only game where even the haters play it during 50 hours.

That thing is very strange. I'm not able to play 50 hours (or even 5) hours, with games that I hate. I'm not able to play that amount of time in games that are simply ok, or even some good games.

But in this thread I see a lot of people hating the game, but playing 50 hours. That's some kind of videogame related masochism.

It's just because he likes the game. No one would force themselves to play 50 hours of a game they don't like.

Chris R

So I just reached the meat of chapter 11. How long until I'm able to power level properly? I tried to ambush the
King Bemoth
next to the first save point... it didn't go very well :lol

firehawk12

Subete no aware
rhfb said:
So I just reached the meat of chapter 11. How long until I'm able to power level properly? I tried to ambush the
King Bemoth
next to the first save point... it didn't go very well :lol

There's one near another save point that you can always sneak up on. If you time your juggle correctly, you should be able to take him down fairly easily without letting him transform.

Having spent a large number of hours on Chapter 11, I'd thought I would post my thoughts on the game.

I love:
-This feels like a Kitase game, like Final Fantasy X.
-Hamauzu's music.
-The world of Cocoon and Pulse.
-Gran Pulse. The hunts are so addicting, as is exploring the world.
-The focus on character development.

I hate:
-Half to 3/4 of the stuff that came before Chapter 11. Half of this game consisted of nothing more than running through linear levels with the story going absolutely nowhere outside of a little bit of character development and flashbacks. Like, honestly, I feel like half the content in Chapters 3-8ish served no purpose and were a huge waste of time. The linear game design goes in this category.
-How straight-foward and simple the story is. The story itself is really good and interesting, but the game is completely lacking in plot twists, even when the game has several opportunities to create them. (Instead, the game just delivers plot twists in a matter-of-fact manner, and moves on).
~~~~~~~~~
-The Battle System. I don't hate it, but I don't love it either, which, all together, is a damn shame. The lack of direct input, and countless other user-input options really makes the game require less strategy to play. I hate the reliance on Auto-Battle. I wouldn't be playing a game if I wanted it to play itself.

So yeah. There is definitely a lot of stuff that I am enjoying about the game, but Gran Pulse and the stuff the story does do right, as well as some of the more interesting aspects of the battle system doesn't make up for the fact that the game's general design outside of the last three Chapters sucks, or that, for example, I
didn't even give a shit about Cid's death in Chapter 10

Can't wait to get back to playing though! <3 <3 <3 Gran Pulse!

BeeDog

Oerba Village
is a really nice location! Finally something to actually explore. Still not done with the area, but figured I'd ask; I have maxed the main 3 roles of every character, and I'm sitting on around ~60000 CP for each character, and I haven't spent them on the other 3 secondary roles. I'm sick of fighting enemies, so is this a good milestone for further progress in this chapter, or should I spend the CP's on the secondary roles?

Rpgmonkey

BeeDog said:
Oerba Village
is a really nice location! Finally something to actually explore. Still not done with the area, but figured I'd ask; I have maxed the main 3 roles of every character, and I'm sitting on around ~60000 CP for each character, and I haven't spent them on the other 3 secondary roles. I'm sick of fighting enemies, so is this a good milestone for further progress in this chapter, or should I spend the CP's on the secondary roles?

Don't touch the secondary roles until you've completed the game and completely maxed out the primary roles. The secondary roles eat up tons of CP and are a grind with little reward.

Plus you expand it further at your current location.

BeeDog

Rpgmonkey said:
Don't touch the secondary roles until you've completed the game and completely maxed out the primary roles. The secondary roles eat up tons of CP and are a grind with little reward.

Plus you expand it further at your current location.

Alright, thanks!

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Any suggestions on help with fighting
Barthandelus the third time? I can't find a good strategy. I don't even know if its possible to go back and grind now.

Zzoram

firehawk12 said:
I think they programmed it so that the moment you don't need Traps, you start getting a ton of them. I ended with 11. :lol

Yeah. Thankfully the Xbox Achievement people put up some great guides. Saved me quite a bit of time/money.

link please?

sazabirules said:
Any suggestions on help with fighting
Barthandelus the third time? I can't find a good strategy. I don't even know if its possible to go back and grind now.
1st form Sahz Hope Lightning is a good setup. Lots of buffs to migate damage and lightning as a backup healer. I guess you could take out Sazh for anyone really; but i really like haste. I used Lightning as a Commando primarily.
2nd form if you can't do it i'd recommend just poisoning it to death with vanille as your controlled character. stack anti death items on vanille if you have them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom