• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cep

Banned
*Remembers Rygdea's various moments of awesome*

*Cries at unfulfilled potential*

Unknown Soldier said:
Nah, I like the way faster loading of games from an internal HDD using HD Loader as opposed to a USB Loader.

YAAAAAY! IT'S WORKING!!! FINAL FANTASY XII INTERNATIONAL JOB SYSTEM, HERE I COME!!!

No I meant so that you can transfer from your computer to your HDD without opening it up.

Awntawn

MrDenny said:
I hate how they handled all the side characters; Team Nora, Rygdea, Cid, Jihl, Yaag.
It seems like the team got lazy on their character development, and just incorporated them in the game just because they had to.
-Team Nora shows up out of nowhere in chapter 12/13 and then just leave, "Oh, btw we're alive. Ok we'll be going now." Lame.
-Rygdea, iono he just seem to be there. Didn't even make an appearance at the end of the game after they hyped his takeover so much.
-Cid is fail. Poor character development. Dysley revives him, then 10 mins later he's dead because he tells rygdea to shoot him. Seriously?
-I didn't even know Jihl died, thought she was just injured. Had to read the datalog to learn about her death. Wasted potential.
-Yaag probably the most developed of the side characters, but still poor character development. "You l'cie must die" fast forward "I guess I was wrong all along"
Overall, I'm really disappointed how they handle the side characters.
Seemed so half-assed.
Yeah even I completely forgot Nora existed until after they
showed up again in chapter 12
. And that's gotta say something considering my avatar should be constantly reminding me of Lebreaux's existence everytime I make a post on gaf.

Arjen

Awntawn said:
I'd recommend maxing out the level 4's, don't really have to bother with the side roles, assuming you have a good combination that works for you. Some accessories that could help a lot also, like Dash Shoes. Chapter 13's not impossible hard, but it's not a walk in the park, even with maxed Crystallium lv 9 and with a couple of ultimate weapons. I imagine it would be very challenging to just jump into it, especially if you had any problem whatsoever with the chapter 12 boss.

Thanks, will do that.

Dresden

Awntawn said:
Yeah even I completely forgot Nora existed until after they
showed up again in chapter 12
. And that's gotta say something considering my avatar should be constantly reminding me of Lebreaux's existence everytime I make a post on gaf.
I'll always think of her as Osaka Whore.

Himuro said:
That was sooo retarded.

CODE BLUE

CODE RED

CODE GREEN

CODE PURPLE

CODE YELLOW

No, desperate times require desperate actions. CODE WHITE!!!!

And I was just sitting there rolling on my bed in laughter.

There's something we can agree on. That scene was ridiculous. Can't believe it was supposed to be serious :lol

Pooya

Himuro said:
That was sooo retarded.

CODE BLUE

CODE RED

CODE GREEN

CODE PURPLE

CODE YELLOW

No, desperate times require desperate actions. CODE WHITE!!!!

And I was just sitting there rolling on my bed in laughter.
that part was so stupid :lol
Magnus said:
I got a weird joy out of letting the camera chill on Lightning (my leader) standing with allies in the middle of the Archlyte Steppe. The wind blows through her hair, she stands all proud and amazon-like, she's fucking gorgeous for a video game character, and the majesty of the Pride Lan...Pulsian landscape, coupled with a pretty amazing audio track just takes over.

It might have been one of the only beautiful moments in XIII for me. I could list so many others for the other eight FF games I've played.
Lightning is the only thing that I loved in this game, her design is just fantastic, just look at this
smilex4zz.png

Cute, cute smile, never seen something like this in a game before, what a shame! so much potential here all wasted in this game.

Cep said:
No I meant so that you can transfer from your computer to your HDD without opening it up.

Can you apply PPF patches that way? That's what I had to do, to patch FFXII:IZJS to make it work with HD Loader.

I had forgotten how fuck awesome the opening CG sequence of FFXII was. I also remember now how angry it made me that there was this fuck awesome Star Wars airship battle and then you spend almost the whole goddamn game walking from place to place. Fucking Squenix loves to cocktease us. Oh yeah, and the goddamn non-adjustable inverted camera turning! IT MAKES ME WANT TO KILL KITTENS!! :lol :lol

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Himuro said:
My thought process:

"wait how did it go from red to green? Why are the colors getting lighter the more serious the situation gets?"

:lol

That's the anime version of how the military works!

Rpgmonkey

Unknown Soldier said:
Can you apply PPF patches that way? That's what I had to do, to patch FFXII:IZJS to make it work with HD Loader.

I had forgotten how fuck awesome the opening CG sequence of FFXII was. I also remember now how angry it made me that there was this fuck awesome Star Wars airship battle and then you spend almost the whole goddamn game walking from place to place. Fucking Squenix loves to cocktease us. Oh yeah, and the goddamn non-adjustable inverted camera turning! IT MAKES ME WANT TO KILL KITTENS!! :lol :lol

I still say the biggest teases ever were pretty much any CG cutscene that involved the use of summons, especially Odin, Shiva, and Brun.

I don't care if it means we lose one or two CG movies, there's a chance that those could have been some cool little minigame sequences, and the stuff you get in battles seemed to be tuned to match the pacing of a battle, instead of letting them do something really fast and crazy like the CG.

Yes, I just miss little things like FFVII's motorcycle chase... :(

Magnus said:
wtf is Nomchan. Someone educate me

It was a name GAF made for Vanille before we knew her name. Don't remember how or why it happened.

Awntawn

icarus-daedelus said:
Will you still think of Vanille as NomChan, or has the terrible VA tainted even that for you?
Orgasm on the back of a tentacle monster and her position as dedicated fanservice in virtually every way possible will keep her as Nomchan forever

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
miladesn said:
Lightning is the only thing that I loved in this game, her design is just fantastic, just look at this
http://www.abload.de/img/smilex4zz.png
Cute, cute smile, never seen something like this in a game before, what a shame! so much potential here all wasted in this game.
She was the most interesting, I think, but sadly she just looked so bored most of the time. That is a really great shot though.

Anyways, it makes makes her an uninteresting character once her lines are through as she gets overshadowed by FIST PUMP and
Vanille/Fran and their ... what I call: nonsense

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Korey said:
I'm pretty sure the "CODE WHATEVER" color thing was supposed to be tongue in cheek and intentionally arbitrary.

It seems like it until
Jihl dies...the actual plot part there makes it seem like it was meant to be serious.

Doublethink said:
The only thing I didn't like about Lightning's design was her half cape thing. It really annoyed me for some reason.

I'm pretty sure it was a scarf, and it's there because Nomura likes it when people wear clothing items which flow when they run. Or something. :lol

So I've been running around a bit in Rabanastre at the beginning of FFXII, and I have to say, these SD towns sure are neat, if only they were able to put some HD towns into FFXIII! :lol

Cep

Banned
Himuro said:
nom nom as in delicious

hence nomchan. Pretty thought Vanille would be a good character at this stage, so don't place blame on them. Forgive them, as they have sinned.

Personally, I was pessimistic from the moment that Lightning was introduced, being that I think her design is terrible and all.

Hell, I did not plan on playing the game until sometime late this year.

(Un)Fortunately, my roommate bought the game...

Dresden said:
I actually like Vanille. What a slutty pair of thighs.
Oh, you. I still like her design, mainly the clothing (minus fur boots) and the continuity with Fang's design...somebody lock Nomura in a room and force him to design characters from Gran Pulse for all eternity plz

Awntawn said:
Orgasm on the back of a tentacle monster and her position as dedicated fanservice in virtually every way possible will keep her as Nomchan forever
It probably helps that practically every noise she makes in the English dub sounds like an orgasm. :lol Although in the scene I think you're referring to (ending spoilers)
after they summon Ragnarok, the JP version makes it sound like they're dual orgasming as well.

Doublethink said:
The only thing I didn't like about Lightning's design was her half cape thing. It really annoyed me for some reason.
I didn't like her short shorts (this is so not practical for someone in the military) or her ridonkulous giant pocketknife, although her dumb weapon was still better than Vanille's WTF triple fishing rod.

edit: also, Lightning's hair. What's up with that? Serah's is like an exaggeratedly worse version of the same concept, too.

Awntawn

icarus-daedelus said:
It probably helps that practically every noise she makes in the English dub sounds like an orgasm. :lol Although in the scene I think you're referring to (ending spoilers)
after they summon Ragnarok, the JP version makes it sound like they're dual orgasming as well.
I'm talking about Hecaton's overdrive. Unmistakeable, every time :lol

I'm about ready to rip my damn hair out.

So I'm
at the final boss, second form. First try I staggered him no problem, and proceeded to get him down to almost zero health. Now, after retrying 4/5 times, every time I get close to staggering, or even stagger him, he just uses that fucking Temporal Hollow and goes back down to zero. I've used haste, I've cast slow on him. Nothing works. Please, for the love of god, help.

Zzoram

cann3dheat said:
I'm about ready to rip my damn hair out.

So I'm
at the final boss, second form. First try I staggered him no problem, and proceeded to get him down to almost zero health. Now, after retrying 4/5 times, every time I get close to staggering, or even stagger him, he just uses that fucking Temporal Hollow and goes back down to zero. I've used haste, I've cast slow on him. Nothing works. Please, for the love of god, help.

Perfect example of a terrible spoiler. You give 0 indication on what your spoiler is about, and it turns out it's the last boss, but I had to highlight to find that out.

Awntawn

Zzoram said:
What is best to grind in Gran Pulse to sell for gil?
Big Adamants (with tusks). If you're too low level to kill them legit, summon at the start to knock it off its feet, then spam debuffs and death until it dies. If it stands up before death lands, restart. Money drop is Platinum Ingots, 150k. Also drops Traps to upgrade weapons.

Oh you'll want to equip Good Choice and Best Choice accessories for drop rates. And if you don't need the CP then might as well reload your save if you don't get a drop to save the trouble of charging TP again for summon.

Styles

icarus-daedelus said:
edit: also, Lightning's hair. What's up with that? Serah's is like an exaggeratedly worse version of the same concept, too.

It's the current hairstyle trend you see...
for Cocoon that is.

Vect said:
It's the current hairstyle trend you see...
for Cocoon that is.
Oh, I get that, like how beads were evidently 'in' on Pulse
500 years ago
. Having one side so much longer than the other like that just looks terrible.

Zzoram

Awntawn said:
Big Adamants (with tusks). If you're too low level to kill them legit, summon at the start to knock it off its feet, then spam debuffs and death until it dies. If it stands up before death lands, restart. Money drop is Platinum Ingots, 150k. Also drops Traps to upgrade weapons.

Oh you'll want to equip Good Choice and Best Choice accessories for drop rates. And if you don't need the CP then might as well reload your save if you don't get a drop to save the trouble of charging TP again for summon.

Is there anything worth farming before turtles? I don't have Death yet.

***CHAPTER 11 (MINOR) DETAILS IN SPOILER TAGS***

completing chapter 11 has damn near killed my desire to carry on till the end. i really thought it would be one super long ass chapter that would answer tons of my questions about pulse.

but nope! once you decide to move the story forward it's just more tubes with very little story exposition.

shit pisses me off. why aren't fang and annoying-one explaining their world to me? i get that it's several hundred years in the future but do they seriously not know WHAT THE FUCK THAT GIANT TITAN IS?!? what about their village? some details, fond memories, or something please!

fuck!!

Pooya

Zzoram said:
Is there anything worth farming before turtles? I don't have Death yet.
yes, King behemoth and the giant wolf fighting with each other, it's near a save point to far left of the location when you first enter the Archlyte Steppe, near mission 54 stone IIRC.
damn stupid rotating map, I can't tell you which direction it is:lol

Magnus said:
What can I say? Had to channel the fury into something productive. I also love to share.

Post-Mortem was pretty amazing man. Loved reading it!

Fuck, now I don't even feel like playing it anymore, but will for the sake of posterity I guess :lol

Arjen

Near the end of chapter 11
You had to find parts for some Wall-E clone
Ugh, i was so glad no one was around to see me playing.

Awntawn

miladesn said:
yes, King behemoth and the giant wolf fighting with each other, it's near a save point to far left of the location when you first enter the Archlyte Steppe, near mission 54 stone IIRC.
damn stupid rotating map, I can't tell you which direction it is:lol
these don't drop anything worth selling though do they?

though if anything, farm these for cp until you get death ;p

Pooya

Awntawn said:
these don't drop anything worth selling though do they?

though if anything, farm these for cp until you get death ;p
No, Mission 24 is a bit better, 12K CP with growth egg and the drop sells for 6000gil.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Great review Himuro (yes, I'm old).

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
sam27368 said:
am I the only person who finds fangs design far sexier than vanille's?

Me too...

Also i have a few battles where in the report page the camera look under her legs :lol

Pooya

Awntawn said:
But to get growth egg then he would need death and could then be farming turtles instead ;o
yes, but farming turtles is pretty hard early on with lower stats, it can KO the whole party with it's first attack, Mission 24 is so easy it's over in 10 seconds, turtles are good for late post ending for maxing the other 3 roles and farming trapz.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I was reading the thread and

Joei said:
Seriously, next time you're listening to Snow or whoever talk about how they shouldn't give up hope, think of the guy at his desk writing this shit with a smile on his face. It pisses me off everytime.
Magnus said:
Fucking tragic. I was waiting for him to don a hood and jump into a portal to hook up with the gang.

http://www.animeresimleri.com/data/media/82/Organization_XIII.jpg
Actually laughed out loud at these. :lol

Korey said:
I'm pretty sure the "CODE WHATEVER" color thing was supposed to be tongue in cheek and intentionally arbitrary.
Me too. I refuse to believe someone would write a scene like that and intend it to be serious. It did feel out of place and it's fitting for Leblanc and her goons but still.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom