• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
anyone seen a good guide on what weapons/accessories to upgrade? Cause I'm getting to a "FUCK THIS" gaming moment right now...

Or just some general suggestions on what is best to upgrade for the characters (I know about the bio vs. mecha bonus stuff)

Byakuya769 said:
anyone seen a good guide on what weapons/accessories to upgrade? Cause I'm getting to a "FUCK THIS" gaming moment right now...

Or just some general suggestions on what is best to upgrade for the characters (I know about the bio vs. mecha bonus stuff)

Well, one thing to look at is the secondary abilities that weapons have. I went with the Belladonna Wand with Vanille because it has Improved Debuffing, which is incredibly useful for her.

Ballistictiger said:
So true. I don't even want to hop back into the game after beating it.

I did hop back into it. I loved the game so much, wanted to get through the story again, live it again.

But I just went back to my gran pulse save & continued to platinum, its so boring having to battle enemies in the earlier chapters. I might as well watch the cut scenes on youtube if I wanna relive the story.

I'm considering picking up the game again. I got up to Chapter 11 and I liked it but...I don't know, it just felt weird because I was so fucking hyped for this game and it just didn't turn out how I thought it would. Maybe I'll actually like it a lot this time since I'm not caught up in the hype. So I traded the game in for Super Street Fighter IV and I miss it because it's the only FF game I never beaten. It's a shame considering the graphics, music, and just overall presentation of the game could quite possibly be the greatest I have ever experienced in a video game.

Chris R

So damn close to platinum :( I just have to upgrade like 5 items, kill a long gui, and then 5 star the last boss... TONIGHT I can feel it.

a176

Banned
I picked this up a couple days ago. I'm at chapter 6 and so far I feel like this is the worst rpg i've ever played. The story is a mindfuck, the script is so, so, so bad, and vanille's voice acting makes me want to shove screwdrivers in my ears. The first three-four hours all I felt I've done was press the x button a billion times over.

So far my only enjoyable moment was with the boss that changes its resists. Atleast that felt a bit like classic jrpg fare.

Teknoman

a176 said:
I picked this up a couple days ago. I'm at chapter 6 and so far I feel like this is the worst rpg i've ever played. The story is a mindfuck, the script is so, so, so bad, and vanille's voice acting makes me want to shove screwdrivers in my ears. The first three-four hours all I felt I've done was press the x button a billion times over.

So far my only enjoyable moment was with the boss that changes its resists. Atleast that felt a bit like classic jrpg fare.

Read the log to get indepth information on the story. Its really easier to understand than the last few FF games. But yeah, the first few hours can be slow.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Sacha said:
Some dude is suing SE and SCEA because of FFXIII freezes : http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/109/1094916p1.html Five million, huh ?

Square gets a taste of the West... The hard way.

Hope this leads to less pseudo-Western titles from them. :p

Sacha said:
In other news, a Piano Collections will be revealed in the coming days ! We already have the date (July 21st), just waiting for the tracklist and all, now.

Will get. I have all the piano collections. :D

Did FFXII have a piano collection?

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
woa how miserable is this random, nonsensical, flying pink platform section? Ugh. How close am till Fin?

John Harker

Kagari said:

Don't get me wrong, most Final Fantasys are filled with random flying platform dungeons. Except this game. And now the last section suddenly has one? Its so random to me and out of place that it doesn't make sense, this isn't a Lightening Temple or something. I'm suppose to be below the Sanctum but instead I'm in Stephen King's Pink Grapefruit.

It's not even fun. It's just another gauntlet of tough enemies (and I keep dying). The whole post-Pulse game is disappointing :(

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
John Harker said:
Don't get me wrong, most Final Fantasys are filled with random flying platform stages. Except this game. And now the last section suddenly has one? Its so random to me and pretty out of place and it doesn't even make sense, this isnt like some Lightening temple or something, I'm suppose to be below the Sanctum but instead im in Stephen King's Pink Grapefruit or something.

It's not even fun. It's just another gauntlet of tough enemies (and I keep dying). The whole post-Pulse game is disappointing :(

The last dungeon is shit. That's all there is to it.

John Harker

Ugh, I HATE when games bosses take on weird, crazy voices. The end scenes make no damn sense to me cause I couldn't understand a word Orphan said. Thanks for not letting me put subtitles back on. What the hell just happened.

John Harker said:
Ugh, I HATE when games bosses take on weird, crazy voices. The end scenes make no damn sense to me cause I couldn't understand a word Orphan said. Thanks for not letting me put subtitles back on. What the hell just happened.
You didn't miss much, just some MOO HOO HOO HA HA HA and some moustache-twirling. Apart from that, it's really just forgettable dialogue continuing the caught-between-a-rock-and-a-hard-place theme that is spread throughout the rest of the game and is really the main dilemma facing the main characters.

John Harker

But.... killing Orphan is bad. And then I betray my own team to kill Orphan. Then I do. But he comes back. And then we're all friends again - and decide to kill Orphan. And now killing Orphan is good because we decided we want to. Huh.

I liked the rock-n-hard-place the characters were stuck in, and the puppetry of the falcie and all that. There were moments of real turmoil. But that all kinda fell apart now, unless I missed something Orphan said. None of this makes sense.

Vamphuntr

badcrumble said:
You didn't miss much, just some MOO HOO HOO HA HA HA and some moustache-twirling. Apart from that, it's really just forgettable dialogue continuing the caught-between-a-rock-and-a-hard-place theme that is spread throughout the rest of the game and is really the main dilemma facing the main characters.

I never understood that part. You learn that
Fang can turn into Ragnarok (in reality she turn into some feral cat thing). For some reason this Ragnarok was the one to cause the damages on the shell of cocoon. The bad guy supposedly can only be killed by Ragnarok and all of the plot of the game was so tha he could die??? In the end the boss weakness was falling in the pool behind him but only after previously fallen in it twice and after being transformed into a giant sun dial. Fang and Vanille fuses into crystal to save cocoon. The other turn to crystal but revert back 5 sec after for some reason?
. Man the plot made no sense.

John Harker

Vamphuntr said:
I never understood that part. You learn that
Fang can turn into Ragnarok (in reality she turn into some feral cat thing). For some reason this Ragnarok was the one to cause the damages on the shell of cocoon. The bad guy supposedly can only be killed by Ragnarok and all of the plot of the game was so tha he could die??? In the end the boss weakness was falling in the pool behind him but only after previously fallen in it twice and after being transformed into a giant sun dial. Fang and Vanille fuses into crystal to save cocoon. The other turn to crystal but revert back 5 sec after for some reason?
. Man the plot made no sense.

I thought it held up fine till the end. Aside from nonsensical tertiary characters, Rorche, already-forgot-the-bad-womans-name, Cid, etc, who were useless plot drivers, the story was pretty simple and I thought the characters motivations were solid. Then you get some weird, hard to understand end boss where a whole bunch of random stuff throws it out the window and you're like - huh

Chris R

Ugh, forget getting the platinum tonight :( I tried my hand at Dark Matter farming and that didn't go too well. I always seemed to get a nice big ultima attack in the middle of my stagger that made me swap to Tortise and only allowed me to get the thing down to like 10% of its health. Did end up eventually killing two, but the only return from the two hours I spent trying different character setups/strats was a single gold nugget (plus another gold nugget from a treasure sphere).

Back to Eden for more turtle farmage. Only need 17.2 platinum ingots to buy all my dark matter :D I can farm 15 turtles an hour (well between 15 and 20) so probably only two hours of pure grinding (still need one more traps) then I get to kill a Long Gui and the last boss 5 star style.

rhfb said:
Ugh, forget getting the platinum tonight :( I tried my hand at Dark Matter farming and that didn't go too well. I always seemed to get a nice big ultima attack in the middle of my stagger that made me swap to Tortise and only allowed me to get the thing down to like 10% of its health. Did end up eventually killing two, but the only return from the two hours I spent trying different character setups/strats was a single gold nugget (plus another gold nugget from a treasure sphere).

Back to Eden for more turtle farmage. Only need 17.2 platinum ingots to buy all my dark matter :D I can farm 15 turtles an hour (well between 15 and 20) so probably only two hours of pure grinding (still need one more traps) then I get to kill a Long Gui and the last boss 5 star style.

Did you try debuffing the shaolong guis while buffing the party? Even with relatively weak equipment, you can get to the damage cap (or above it if you have genji's gloves) after doing all that. Make sure to catch slow first if you can.

Chris R

cosmicblizzard said:
Did you try debuffing the shaolong guis while buffing the party? Even with relatively weak equipment, you can get to the damage cap (or above it if you have genji's gloves) after doing all that. Make sure to catch slow first if you can.
Ya I had 4-6 debuffs on it, staggered to 999, then switched to comx3. Still wasn't enough damage to down it in a single stagger :(

I mean I could go slow and stuff, but if a battle is going to take 5+ minuets, and I still have a pretty bad percentage drop after that why bother. I'll just farm a turtle in eden every ~3.5 minuets and enjoy what seems to be a 70% drop rate on ingots :lol

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member
I keep getting my ass handed to me by proudclod at the very end of Chapter 2. It seems like I get him about half-way down and then he just heals up and gradually becomes more powerful. IF I'm reading these walkthroughs correctly I'm supposed to be killing him fast before he can heal. Is my only option to grind a little more where I can take him down? Debuffs don't seem to work on him.

Sadly this game has been collecting dust while I have played RDR and Alan Wake. I don't know why I am having trouble getting into this. I am before the open world portion. Ah well, I will get back into it soon enough.

NeoUltima

rhfb said:

Make sure you have damage reduction items. With max crystarium and ~30% DR you should have little trouble with the battle.

I start with sab syn syn. Get slow on gui asap before all the other debuffs. Switch to sab med med if I need to heal during the debuff/buff process.

Once all buffs/debuffs are on I use sab rav rav to stagger.

When staggered, I quickly build the gauge to 9xx% then I just used COM COM MED this way you can tortoise in case of ultima/quake and go right back to attacking whilst getting healed back up. 1 more commando isn't worth the risk imo.

Also, be sure to use highwind, if Fang is your leader, just before the stagger ends.

Depending on how much your weapons are upgraded, it should take 1-2 staggers.

90% of my battles were under 2 minutes.

Chris R

NeoUltima said:
Make sure you have damage reduction items. With max crystarium and ~30% DR you should have little trouble with the battle.

I start with sab syn syn. Get slow on gui asap before all the other debuffs. Switch to sab med med if I need to heal during the debuff/buff process.

Once all buffs/debuffs are on I use sab rav rav to stagger.

When staggered, I quickly build the gauge to 9xx% then I just used COM COM MED this way you can tortoise in case of ultima/quake and go right back to attacking whilst getting healed back up. 1 more commando isn't worth the risk imo.

Also, be sure to use highwind, if Fang is your leader, just before the stagger ends.

Depending on how much your weapons are upgraded, it should take 1-2 staggers.

90% of my battles were under 2 minutes.
I just didn't have enough time/power to down it in a single stagger, so my battles would take ~5 minuets and I wouldn't even get a kill every time due to freak Ultimas/Roar or whatever the other attack was. I have no problem farming regular turtles :lol I can do 20 an hour and now only need like 13 more ingots.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Really, I thought your way but it's tremendously easier to get dark matters directly from the shao long gui. Investing in damage resisting gear is the key.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
So starting just got to Chapter 8. I think this is how I feel about the game. If it came out in late 2007/ early2008. It would have been received much better, but after some 3+ years of hype. Getting such a bare bones/linear title... It's kind of unacceptable. It feels like it's been nothing but one linear dungeon.

Gameplay and story are improving though. So it is getting more enjoyable, but still being forced into set parties is starting to get irritable.

hey guys, i know this is kinda off-topic but does anyone know where i can get my hands on the chinese ff13 version from a store that ships to europe?
only found some ebay sellers from hong-kong and i don't know if i should buy from them.
thanks in advance.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason

neoism

cosmicblizzard said:
As I said before, you don't need that much if you're willing to do some item selling/juggling.

I had around 2.5 million gil and I was able to get Treasure Hunter by selling everything off as I upgraded it. I only had 20k leftover afterward. Keep in mind I had already upgraded my main team's weapon but that shouldn't be a problem.
:lol :lol :lol I guess that's why it took me soo long, I had 7.5 mil, and I only sold my duplicates.I had 30k left:lol

neoism

Darthdevidem01 said:
This game has no replay value.
For me FF games are a one time experience, I bought 7, and 8 on PSN, and got to 2 disc on both and quit, of course I'll buy 9 anyway. :lol :lol When is it releasing here? I always do everything and take my time 2 or 3 months for each one, when they release. Seeing how they only come every 3 to 5 years:lol It makes them more awesome, and memorable. I'll never play this game again. I got 160 hours of pure awesome from it, I can't ask for more.:D

Chris R

firehawk12 said:
Really, I thought your way but it's tremendously easier to get dark matters directly from the shao long gui. Investing in damage resisting gear is the key.
Meh, I've farmed just over half the Ingots I need and would have finished last night if I had continued playing. I don't have any money/items to invest in damage reduction, basically only have the items I'm using right now and a few spares here and there :lol Ideally I'd get the platinum trophy with nothing left in my inventory worth more than a few thousand gil other than my 3 T3 weapons.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
neoism said:
For me FF games are a one time experience, I bought 7, and 8 on PSN, and got to 2 disc on both and quit, of course I'll buy 9 anyway. :lol :lol When is it releasing here? I always do everything and take my time 2 or 3 months for each one, when they release. Seeing how they only come every 3 to 5 years:lol It makes them more awesome, and memorable. I'll never play this game again. I got 160 hours of pure awesome from it, I can't ask for more.:D

I am guessing Sony will announce it being on the PSN store at their conference. Tuesday, and all...

Owzers

Kagari said:
The last dungeon is shit. That's all there is to it.

At the last dungeon i didnt want to play the game anymore. I tried to run past any battle i could even if i had to cloak but i still fought a ton of annoying enemies.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
So I finished up 9 and 10 today...Hit 11, guess I'm in for the long haul now :lol

Hoping I can finish this in the next two weeks and get it traded back out.

neoism said:

I agree partially, I still love the game to bits.

But this one REALLY has NO replay value.....chapters 1 - 5 are Unbearable to play because battles are boring after you see what they become in chapter 11.

Chapters 7 - 8 are cool just for the plot and good feeling. Chapter 9 holds up well on the 2nd playthrough.

Chapter 10 is still a bore.

I guess No Crystarium Use is the only way to motivate yourself through Chapters 1 - 5 on a 2nd play through.

Cels

Replaying the game, after my roommate overwrote my 75hr file with his 2hr file, I was so close to getting Treasure Hunter...:(

So, I'm rushing the heck through the game to get to Ch 11 which is where the game gets truly fun...so far I'm about 14hr in, currently in Ch 10 and I feel really powerless since I'm used to having all roles available for all characters...argh.

My playthrough is not a speedrun or anything but I'm really impressed that someone managed to beat the game sub-10 hours.

Nolan.

I really keep meaning to go back and do all the little things like the sidequests but after finishing it, it kind of seems worthless. I feel more compelled to play XII than this now. I hope they do a part 2 or something though because it could have been so much more.

Cornbread78

mikespit1200 said:
I keep getting my ass handed to me by proudclod at the very end of Chapter 2. It seems like I get him about half-way down and then he just heals up and gradually becomes more powerful. IF I'm reading these walkthroughs correctly I'm supposed to be killing him fast before he can heal. Is my only option to grind a little more where I can take him down? Debuffs don't seem to work on him.

It took me a couple tries, Is your Level 4 cryo full? If not, you may want to go back and get some CP, but I found it easy to beat him by using the following these 4 paradigms

1st) Evened Odds/protection
2nd: Combat Clinic to heal
3rd: Delta Attack/ Mystic tower
4th Relentless Assualt

Use Combat clinic whenever you need to heal, then right back at it. Keep your buffs up though!

Cornbread78

Nolan. said:
I really keep meaning to go back and do all the little things like the sidequests but after finishing it, it kind of seems worthless. I feel more compelled to play XII than this now. I hope they do a part 2 or something though because it could have been so much more.

Well, since the prospect of this game was the main reason I bought my PS3, It's worth it, I still do not have a single platinum trophy, so it is only fitting I spend the extra 50 hours to get it for this one. I mean, I just finished the story Friday night, so now goes for the long grind to Plat. I started by getting 5 stars in the first 9 marks, and just started the
10th. Where is the best place to get CP at this point, I looked through the manual, but their spots are only OK.... Also, how long until you can get the growth Egg? These 30K and 60K cyrstals are ridicules, there has to be a better/easier way....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom