• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris R

Oh I'm sorry, I misread your post :lol I thought you were already there. Are you in the big ass area of Gran Pulse? If so
head towards the north west area. From there you get to a series of mined out tunnels, then the springs, then finally the tower. Once you finish the tower you can get to Obera

jiggle

you take the NW exit in
archyte steppes (that big area).
that leads you to the underground area Mah'habara
it'll be a straight(ish) path leading to Sulya Spring
which is another straight path leading to Taejin's Tower
the top of the tower will lead you to Oerba

Alucrid

Banned
So Jill.
She dies, just like that? So anti-climatic. It was even an interesting death. Oh no, white orb, you're dead.

Blizrad

Neo Member
Dunno if this's worth making a new thread but FFXIII Piano Collections is coming, according to vgmdb.com (and a hint on the FFXIII OST portal)
78023767.jpg

http://vgmdb.net/album/19572

h3ro

30 hours in. Battle system is great. Graphics/Music are great. And that's pretty much it.

Anyone have a good tutorial on weapon/item synthesis?

I'm on Chap. 9 and I know I should wait for Chap. 11 before I start the grinding, but I'm not sure how to get multipliers and which items give the best attributes.

Chris R

Basically the guide to upgrading is this.

Use ORGANIC compounds to get a 3x upgrade multiplier and then use MECHANIC compounds in large quantities to get levels for your various items. I'd suggest waiting until Chap. 11 to start serious upgrading though, as you will get a few new accessories that are pretty good, and by then you should know what kind of weapon best suits the party you want to use.

Alucrid

Banned
rhfb said:
Basically the guide to upgrading is this.

Use ORGANIC compounds to get a 3x upgrade multiplier and then use MECHANIC compounds in large quantities to get levels for your various items. I'd suggest waiting until Chap. 11 to start serious upgrading though, as you will get a few new accessories that are pretty good, and by then you should know what kind of weapon best suits the party you want to use.

I'm at that point right now but don't even have 10,000 gil. Is there any easy way to farm some in Ch 11? I'm only at the start of it though.

Chris R

Alucrid said:
I'm at that point right now but don't even have 10,000 gil. Is there any easy way to farm some in Ch 11? I'm only at the start of it though.
Not really :( I mean you can farm mission 7 and get some stuff to upgrade your weapons as well as get some sprint shoes. Other than that nothing really you can farm until Ch 12/13.

So how do I get 5 stars for the early missions? I just tried mission 3 and the target time was 24 seconds or something like that EVEN with the gold watch :lol Even with level 1 tier 1 weapons instead of my starred tier 3 weapons :(

jmoe316

Around 104-105 hours to get a platinum. Grinding Mission 24 in the tower isnt so bad if you watch a show on the side. Think his is the longest I've spent on a game.

Nowe I can finally get into Galaxy 2.

Eccocid

So i started to watch all cutscenes in english at youtube.(i wont be able to play it for a long time i am so far from my home etc etc).

I loved the voice acting and most of the characters except Vanilla. She acts like she is on LSD all the time with weird laughs and moanings. I dont understand the hate against Hope, he is pretty cool for his age typical little clueless kid with a revenge plot and anger but he talks less for a Japanese rpg character cliche. Lighting is Motoko Ksunagi rip off, she is cool but she is like so predictable.

I can't stand to Snow, he starts every sentence with Sera Sera Seraaaaaaaaaa, so annoying.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Playing it now, I figure I'm at least half way done with Chapter 4. Szah, Lightning, and Snow have been okay. Vanille and Hope need to die quickly. Almost every character is a stereotype taken to the extreme.

snap0212

jmoe316 said:
Around 104-105 hours to get a platinum. Grinding Mission 24 in the tower isnt so bad if you watch a show on the side. Think his is the longest I've spent on a game.

Is there any Trophy I can miss in this game or is it just a question of how much time I'm willing to invest? :/

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Quick question, it mentioned in a guide that as long as I don't avoid any battles. I'll have enough CP to level up everything on my characters? That correct? Also I should save everything till chapter 11 or 12?

Anyways, The Crystalium thing is close to FFX. So that hasn't been a problem, and once I got a handle on the stance switching. Hasn't been too much of a problem. Basically it is like telling the one character to heal, melee, or magic. Still, I'm not like how I can just cast haste on my entire party at once for example.:lol

firehawk12

Subete no aware
snap0212 said:
Is there any Trophy I can miss in this game or is it just a question of how much time I'm willing to invest? :/

Well, you can miss the collection trophy if you sell anything or don't open every chest in the game but that's about it.

shintoki said:
Quick question, it mentioned in a guide that as long as I don't avoid any battles. I'll have enough CP to level up everything on my characters? That correct? Also I should save everything till chapter 11 or 12?

I managed to beat the game without having to grind at all.

As for weapon customisation, yeah, I wouldn't touch it until late in the game.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
So how long is the game anyways? I'm in the forest with just Lightning and Hope...and the thing is every part has been the same. A very long linear path. 6 or 7 encounters, cutscene, then next area. All in the same zone.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
shintoki said:
So how long is the game anyways? I'm in the forest with just Lightning and Hope...and the thing is every part has been the same. A very long linear path. 6 or 7 encounters, cutscene, then next area. All in the same zone.

Around 50 hours.

shintoki said:
Thats the game. If you don't like it now, you mine as well stop.

Alucrid

Banned
jmoe316 said:

You haven't played many RPGs, have you? :lol

I decided to buck up and got through it all to Chapter 11. Much better, although I want that Growth Egg now but it looks like I'll have to finish Ch 11 first. :|

Darkone

I started the game a few days ago and i got to chapter 4, i see that the Weapons have XP, when and how do i get XP for them?

snap0212

firehawk12 said:
Well, you can miss the collection trophy if you sell anything or don't open every chest in the game but that's about it.
Dammit. I already sold a couple of things I collected. No platinum for me, but that's fine! :)

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Actually, the story is doable in 35-40 hours. :p

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Sword Familiar said:
First time? Story breezer, or using a guide?

I finished mine in 50 hours first time due to a bit of grinding and trophy hunting (got 70% of the missions before finishing the game). Without those two, I could have finished it in 32 hours. Didn't story breeze nor did I use a guide.

It's really short if you don't include the optional stuff.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
ULTROS! said:
I finished mine in 50 hours first time due to a bit of grinding and trophy hunting (got 70% of the missions before finishing the game). Without those two, I could have finished it in 32 hours. Didn't story breeze nor did I use a guide.

It's really short if you don't include the optional stuff.

I have the game, I just found it unlikely on the first go.

ULTROS!

Maybe what contributed is that I battle fast. They're usually under the required time, even for the bosses like
Cid and the first and second form of Bart
I kinda aced them at one go.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
Started this a few days ago and actually like it a lot. After all the internet hate I had low expectations, but this game is quite good. None of the characters annoy me(which is rare for a final fantasy), the story is interesting, the world is gorgeous, and the battle system is really fun. The linearity hasn't bothered me at all. It's no worse than FFX. We'll see if it keeps up, I'm only on Ch. 6.

If I have one disappointment it's that the music hasn't impressed me much yet. So far there's been a few good tracks and a lot of forgettable ones. It's strange, because Hamauzu composed some of my favorite songs in FFX.

Sword Familiar

miladesn said:
Neither, I didn't spend much time in ch11, just 4-5 missions and then continued the story.

Around 37 hours on your first go sounds like you had some divine interventions in showing you the way. I would call bull, but I have nothing to gain by doing that. Just color me sceptical.

ULTROS! said:
Maybe what contributed is that I battle fast. They're usually under the required time, even for the bosses like
Cid and the first and second form of Bart
I kinda aced them at one go.

I wasn't talking about you, though. :lol 50 hours sounds a lot more credible than 37.

Cornbread78

I'm at the last series of boss fights, how long does it take in total between the boss battles and the closing credits before you can save the game again? I only have 30 mins between jobs...

ULTROS!

But I grinded~

Anyway, I beat FFVIII in 22 hours, I guess that doesn't sound credible at all. :lol

Pooya

Sword Familiar said:
Around 37 hours on your first go sounds like you had some divine interventions in showing you the way. I would call bull, but I have nothing to gain by doing that. Just color me sceptical.
which way you mean, was there a way other than straight ahead?:yeah I followed the lights:lol .
actually I spent a lot of time sight seeing, just walking and looking at the scenery. I didn't suck at the game, I beat pretty much all of the bosses on my first try, I had problems only in last boss fights in 11 and 12 which I got them both on my second try. Final boss wasn't a problem for me. I think I'm good at the game. The game isn't as long as you think.

Damn, what a gorgeous game this is...I am in Palumpolum right now, and the graphics are up there with GoW3 and Uncharted 2... I don't get the rubbish they were saying about creating HD towns, when this is effectively one, minus any interaction...

ULTROS!

Maybe they're having a hard time making doors to open for the houses?

Really, I can't see how an HD town is very very difficult if they manage to do that kind of presentation (because you simply put it the NPCs, put in an area with houses and some vendors).

Sword Familiar

miladesn said:
which way you mean, was there a way other than straight ahead?:yeah I followed the lights:lol .
actually I spent a lot of time sight seeing, just walking and looking at the scenery. I didn't suck at the game, I beat pretty much all of the bosses on my first try, I had problems only in last boss fights in 11 and 12 which I got them both on my second try. Final boss wasn't a problem for me. I think I'm good at the game. The game isn't as long as you think.

Knowing what to do isn't always path oriented in the literal sense, knowing what ingredients to use or whatever also adds to the formula, and if you say you finished it in 37 hours on your first go it sounds like you had help with the "trial and error" parts that many first time goers should run into. But if you say you finished it in 37 hours then that may have been so and maybe you're just that much better than me.

Now, I played the J-version of the game and I don't think I finished it in the average time, rather I think I finished it slower than average, since I finished a lot of the missions before tackling the final boss as well as fighting pretty much every monster I saw. I guess if I had skipped a few fights here and there I could have maybe cut a few hours away from the total time and landed on Ultros' count. I, too, had in no way any trouble with the bosses, aside from maybe one or two where I was underpowered at first. I also finished most of them with four or five stars.

ULTROS! said:
Really, I can't see how an HD town is very very difficult if they manage to do that kind of presentation (because you simply put it the NPCs, put in an area with houses and some vendors).

Considering they allegedly cut out enough material for another game, I'd say it was a matter of priority and the game was hurled into the "fuck it, ship it" category. That said though, I think it works pretty good w/o towns.

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member
Can anyone tell me how to kill the Adamanchelid? I keep using ice spells but the damn thing stomps and kills my party every fucking time. The one in Chapter 12.

Rpgmonkey

mikespit1200 said:
Can anyone tell me how to kill the Adamanchelid? I keep using ice spells but the damn thing stomps and kills my party every fucking time. The one in Chapter 12.

It's vulnerable to a bunch of debuffs, the most important being Slow. Once that's on you should be able to keep up with its damage output.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
nelsonroyale said:
Damn, what a gorgeous game this is...I am in Palumpolum right now, and the graphics are up there with GoW3 and Uncharted 2... I don't get the rubbish they were saying about creating HD towns, when this is effectively one, minus any interaction...
Just got there today and was amazed. This game is incredibly beautiful. And I'm playing the inferior 360 version!

And just like you said, so far they've had areas that are essentially towns but with nothing to do. I don't think it would be much of a stretch to put some shops in and allow us to explore a little. But I suppose they did it this way to cater to the narrative.

Zoso said:
Just got there today and was amazed. This game is incredibly beautiful. And I'm playing the inferior 360 version!

And just like you said, so far they've had areas that are essentially towns but with nothing to do. I don't think it would be much of a stretch to put some shops in and allow us to explore a little. But I suppose they did it this way to cater to the narrative.

Narrative is probably the main reason behind it. It would feel a bit odd to have you playing as a group of wanted fugitives who are feared by the whole world, and then go from that to having you hanging around towns, going into shops and doing fetch quests for citizens.

I also never really felt like there was something missing in regards to the lack of towns. It was never something that I actually thought about while I was playing the game; it was only while posting online and reading people ranting about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom