• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris R

rush777 said:
I'm hitting turtle farm burnout.... when will I be able to beat them without summons or casting death?? and why are they the only way to make good money in this game.
Only good way to make money really. You are ready if Fang has a T3 weapon with at least 2500 Str.

And I actually prefer FFXIII to FFX, but they are both great games in my opinion (better than VII/VIII)

CryingWolf said:
Playing FFXIII made me realize that FFXII was a near-masterpiece, and I'm now replaying it.

Yeah. I ignored a great deal of complaining from the importers. I'll know better next time. Sorry, Kagari. I'm truly sorry.

As for FFX... you know how many giant turtles you had to kill in FFXIII for either money or Trapezohedrons? Multiply that figure by how many seconds you spent online trying to figure out what the fuck to do with the weapon upgrading bonanza, and you have roughly how much worse FFXIII is than FFX.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I dunno but I never did like XII. I liked XIII more than XII because it felt, well.... more Final Fantasy. I didn't like the system at XII at all because it felt kinda complicated (well for me, I don't remember anymore).

Anyway, what I liked about XII was the design and the graphics.

I finally picked this up after dropping it for two months or so between Splinter Cell, Reach, various TV shows, and waiting for my new monitor to show up. Spent what felt like an hour reading through the datalog. Was actually quite enjoyable, the Serah/Snow vocal song was playing in the background. And the writing in the summaries is actually quite good, if redundant.

My new precious did highlight that the game isn't completely mind-blowing graphically as I had previously thought. It was kinda charming to see that the in-game Lightning has sharp elbows.

Bebpo

Banned
Rahxephon91 said:
Final Fantasy X is a much better game then XIII. Its not even funny.

Definitely. X had a plot that made sense for the most part and a one of the best endings in gaming. It also had good pacing. XIII has a better cast of heroes though.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
KuwabaraTheMan said:
Basically, there are two types of upgrade materials (outside of transformation components which are only used when a weapon or accessory is maxed out).

Natural components (represented by an icon that looks like a claw) don't add a lot of points, but they increase the multiplier of the item. Mechanical Components (represented by an icon that looks like a hammer) add a large amount of points but decrease the multiplier. What you want to do is increase the multiplier up to 3 (the maximum), and then use your mechanical components.

You should also note that some components (like Credit Chips and Gold Dust) say "can be sold for a premium" in their descriptions. You should sell these rather than using them.
Can you tone it down a notch. I'm still not understanding :lol

shintoki said:
Can you tone it down a notch. I'm still not understanding :lol

Alright. Basically, when you go into the upgrade screen, you want to select your natural components first. These are your Study Bones, Chipped Fangs, and so on. Add them onto the weapon of choice until your multiplier on that weapon (or accessory) his 3. Each time the multiplier increases, you'll be notified, and it's always displayed at the side. Then you want to dump on your mechanical objects (conductors, cables, other things like that). When you do that, you'll get a larger amount of points, but the multiplier will drop back down.

So, for a basic strategy of upgrading a weapon you would upgraded it with Sturdy Bones (or whatever) until the multiplier hits 3x. Then, you'll want to take your Perfect Conductors (or whatever) and use them in order to get the maximum possible value from them. Once you've done that, the multiplier will have fallen, and you'll need to use more Sturdy Bones to get it back up to 3x.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
Woohoo I got a chocobo! Gran Pulse is a blast, but I kinda want to finish the story soon. Will I be underleveled for ch. 12-13 if I leave after 14 missions? I've got most of my character's main paradigms at level 4.

Zoso said:
Woohoo I got a chocobo! Gran Pulse is a blast, but I kinda want to finish the story soon. Will I be underleveled for ch. 12-13 if I leave after 14 missions? I've got most of my character's main paradigms at level 4.
If you can beat the creatures in the last area of chapter 11 without too much hassle, you'll probably be fine. And there will be a chance to return before the end if you want to do more missions or powerup some more.

can I beat the giant cactus on my first playthrough? Im on chapter 13 and went back to Gran pulse (is that correct? im playing with spanish subtitles, so it is gran paals there) and the catus keep insta-killing me. I did others level B missions without trouble and even some A, but this level B cactus its just impossible :lol

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Meh, I just want to hear Kimi ga Ikuraga instead of MY HANDS in the ending.

Stupid My Hands destroying the ending something something

Picked this up the other day, since i have heard all the bad things about it i was a bit hesitant but im glad i got it as i have really started getting into it (between playing Dead Space too). The first part really does put you off if you have heard how linier the game is since it really is just corridors but once you go on it does get a lot better, not totally free but FFX style which i never had a problem with.

The battle system is great fun when you get the hang of it and the story is actually very interesting and i like all the characters too so im very pleased with it. I will admit it is a bit confusing at first since the story mentions all these differnet factions but a quick read through the datalog sorts that out.

So far i am up to chapter 7/8 i think where
Going to Hopes house after Snow and Fang help free Lightning/Hope
, just trying to juggle Dead Space while playing this so i will probably focus more on DS so i can focus on this more afterwrads.

Cels

XII probably had the best mechanics of the series. Everything was open ended, I loved the lack of transition into battle screens, you could play how you wanted, and there were many many optional things to do. Graphics were amazing as well, sent the PS2 out with a bang. My only complaint for XII -- plot was wanting, with characters that flat-out didn't matter (Vaan lol).

As for XIII, I'm a fan (and playing my 2nd time through right now, just got to Ch11, 14hrs in), but it certainly has a lot of flaws, many more than XII. I commend SE for trying something new again after blowing people's minds with XII, it's just that this time they fell a little short of the bar they set with XII (when it comes to innovating and getting almost everything right at the same time). FFXIII could have been a good better yes, but it is still one of the best RPGs this generation.

Watching the initial intro on the train again makes me wish they kept the "Cocoon" sci-fi setting and character artstyle for XIV. I wonder why they didn't.

theMrCravens said:
Watching the initial intro on the train again makes me wish they kept the "Cocoon" sci-fi setting and character artstyle for XIV. I wonder why they didn't.

Eh, personally I think both XIII and XIV have terrible art direction.

Cep

Banned
theMrCravens said:

Because it was not done by Yoshida?

H_Prestige said:
Eh, personally I think both XIII and XIV have terrible art direction.

How do you wish to be murdered?

I have not been keeping up with 14 past the initial E3 reveal, but I cannot imagine Yoshida's art looking that bad

Haint

Hey guys, anyone by chance have an unused registration code they don't want/need? I'd like to use it for that PS3 FF14 Beta code.

SomeDude

Banned
I honestly liked Dirge of Cerberus's story better than FFXIII. There was noone cool like vincent in FFXIII.

BOth FFXIII and DoS suffer from bland boxish level design.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
So I just picked this game up off of Goozex, it's my first Final Fantasy game :D.
I can definitely understand the complaints about the linearity. I'm about 10 hours in and I'm really itching for the game to open up now.

The combat is very enjoyable but at times it feels like I'm just mashing auto-battle and switching paradigms to heal every now and again. I'm hoping things start getting a little harder soon.

I loving the story and characters (with the exception of Vanille and Hope). I'm at chapter 7 right now and am moving through at a steady pace. I'm trying to get through this quickly since I got Red Dead Redemption collecting dust.

Pankaks said:
The combat is very enjoyable but at times it feels like I'm just mashing auto-battle and switching paradigms to heal every now and again. I'm hoping things start getting a little harder soon.
It gets harder, but you will still mostly spam the paradigm change, only much faster this time. You get the occasional summon and item uses though. This is true for the main game. I'm still far from completing the side missions.

Anyone else kept mashing the X button for no reason while watching the ATB bar fill up ?

Doing all the side mission in the first playthrough is possible? If not,If I do for example half of them, in my second playthrough will they appear like I already did them? I have expended there like 25 hours doing mission, and if Im going to do them again... well... does anyone know?

Cornbread78

theMrCravens said:
It gets harder, but you will still mostly spam the paradigm change, only much faster this time. You get the occasional summon and item uses though. This is true for the main game. I'm still far from completing the side missions.

Anyone else kept mashing the X button for no reason while watching the ATB bar fill up ?

Absofreakin' lutely.... No idea why, it just happens...

*cannnot cooontrool thummmmmmmmb*

*tap, tap, tap, tap, tap, tap.... action made*

Zoe

sotodefonk said:
Doing all the side mission in the first playthrough is possible? If not,If I do for example half of them, in my second playthrough will they appear like I already did them? I have expended there like 25 hours doing mission, and if Im going to do them again... well... does anyone know?

There is no "second playthrough." You're just dumped outside of the boss room with the final Chrystarium level unlocked.

Zoe said:
There is no "second playthrough." You're just dumped outside of the boss room with the final Chrystarium level unlocked.

umm, I read somewhere on a mission guide things like "leave this mission for your second playthrough"... well then, I guess its time to end the game to expend the CP I accumulated

sotodefonk said:
umm, I read somewhere on a mission guide things like "leave this mission for your second playthrough"... well then, I guess its time to end the game to expend the CP I accumulated
I think what they meant is to do those missions post-game since the Crystarium gets expanded one last time after the final boss, making it much easier with the extra stats.

Cep said:
Because it was not done by Yoshida?

How do you wish to be murdered?

I have not been keeping up with 14 past the initial E3 reveal, but I cannot imagine Yoshida's art looking that bad

I loved FFXII but the stuff I've seen from XIV so far looks so bland. Like something out of a western rpg.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
sotodefonk said:
I did a lot just to upgrade all my roles to 4
That doesn't sound fun =[

Is my damage output supposed to be weak once I hit pulse? I'm on Mission two now and going through the cave. I get the basic strategies down, but not really enjoying it.

shintoki said:
That doesn't sound fun =[

Is my damage output supposed to be weak once I hit pulse? I'm on Mission two now and going through the cave. I get the basic strategies down, but not really enjoying it.

yeah the difficult is increased a lot when you arrive there, you just start to kill lesser monsters and they give a lot of CP, so the more you kill the easier they get, because you are upgrading your roles.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
sotodefonk said:
yeah the difficult is increased a lot when you arrive there, you just start to kill lesser monsters and they give a lot of CP, so the more you kill the easier they get, because you are upgrading your roles.
So I should be struggling a bit or something? I recently just started to upgrade my weapons.

Axis Blade for Lightning of course, and undecided on Fang.

yeah its very hard when you realize you get killed in 1-2 hits, but if you backtrack you can kill enemies and gain CP to upgrade your roles, gran pulse is pretty big, and if you backtrack there is a lot more to explore. just have fun exploring and doing cieth mission, then when you already kill te enemies without trouble you can move on.

There are some enemies, like Behemoth Kings or Adamanchelid (I still cant kill one of these things :lol )and Adamantoise, which can kill you in one hit, there is one spot at the end of the Archylte Steppe, where a Behemoth King and a Megistotherian are fighting each other, when you can do a pretty decent amount of damage to a behemot king, go to farm CP there, you can take them off guard, and stagger the behemoth king, and since it has 50% hp it should be pretty easy to kill, and then just finish the battle killing the other monster and they will give you 6600 CP, pretty good amount considering you can end the battle in less than a minute.

Cornbread78

I left most of the side missions for post story since it is much easier to 5 star the marks at that point. By fillign up your cryo now, you still have long was to go if you haven't even finished twelve yet, so you may end up losing CP is you get up to 999,999, shounds like a lot, but depending on how much you have been running around, it really might not be. You may want to keep an eye on that and start working on the secondary abilities in the meantime so it doesn't go to waste.

I'm usually a big fan of the piano collections, but no tracks from XIII stick out in my mind. X had the awesome 'To Zanarkand' and X-2 had '1000 words' and 'Eternity- Memory of Lightwaves'.

Cornbread78 said:
I left most of the side missions for post story since it is much easier to 5 star the marks at that point. By fillign up your cryo now, you still have long was to go if you haven't even finished twelve yet, so you may end up losing CP is you get up to 999,999, shounds like a lot, but depending on how much you have been running around, it really might not be. You may want to keep an eye on that and start working on the secondary abilities in the meantime so it doesn't go to waste.
Thanks for telling me that.....time to upgrade Vanille, Hope and Snow. They've just been sitting on the side lines....Sahz is getting up there too since I'm not trying to touch the expensive roles yet.

Cornbread78

akilshohen said:
Thanks for telling me that.....time to upgrade Vanille, Hope and Snow. They've just been sitting on the side lines....Sahz is getting up there too since I'm not trying to touch the expensive roles yet.

Might as well, you'll get most of it all back in the last couple chapters.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
The second fight against
Barthandelus
was such a bitch. It was just a long random number battle. I shit you not when I say he cast doom on me when he still had half of his health. He cast Daze every second especially when I staggered him. Of course Hope and Lightning get hit with Daze and Fang is okay but since at that moment she's a sentinel the boss will only hit her with the lasers which keeps the rest of the characters Dazed. People might not know what I'm talking about because perhaps he was easy for them because he is a random number Boss. It took me four tries to beat him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom