• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rahxephon91 said:
Was I the only one who didn't read the datalog and knew what was going on in the game? Its really not that confusing.

I never read anything like those in games.

I read some of it but everything I read, I already knew. I didn't find the plot hard to follow at all.

Sorry but I found the plot to be nearly incomprehensible without reading the datalog. The plot itself is not terribly complicated or anything, there is just history and assumptions that the game never bothers to tell you except in the datalog which makes the actual in game scenes hard to follow.

Cornbread78

Scythesurge said:
Sorry but I found the plot to be nearly incomprehensible without reading the datalog. The plot itself is not terribly complicated or anything, there is just history and assumptions that the game never bothers to tell you except in the datalog which makes the actual in game scenes hard to follow.

Yeah, the plot itself is not hard to follow at all. it is just cut short and felt incomplete at times. All in all, I really like the game despite all the hate. I mean, it does have it flaws like I just mentioned, but it's not as bad as people made it sound. I'm actually playing through all the mark missions right now to finish 100% of the game, and that says alot when I have about 10+ games on backlog. I need at least 1 plat. to feel complete, so I'll spend the extra 50 hours to get it for this game, my reason for the PS3, LOL.

With my friends a lot of the confusion was based on whether they'd followed the game or not.

I'd followed it since 06, so I was already familiar with all the terms and concepts like fal'Cie and l'Cie where as that all just went straight over their heads.

CruxisMana said:
With my friends a lot of the confusion was based on whether they'd followed the game or not.

I'd followed it since 06, so I was already familiar with all the terms and concepts like fal'Cie and l'Cie where as that all just went straight over their heads.
Things that got me confused early on was the fact that there were SANCTUM fal'Cie and PULSE fal'Cie, and everyone on Cocoon hated l'Cie but followed the leadership of a fal'Cie which could make l'Cie and aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarghh !!

Violater

theMrCravens said:
Things that got me confused early on was the fact that there were SANCTUM fal'Cie and PULSE fal'Cie, and everyone on Cocoon hated l'Cie but followed the leadership of a fal'Cie which could make l'Cie and aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarghh !!

Thanks for clearing this up, I was getting confused for a while.

As for me like I have said before, this is my first JRPG and I am trying to get into it.
I finally beat
Odin
last night and I'm still trying to get the hang of the Paradigm shift sys. Any tips you guys can give me would be appreciated.

I also some info on weapon upgrades, seems like I don't have nearly enough items, what should I be doing?

Violater said:
I also some info on weapon upgrades, seems like I don't have nearly enough items, what should I be doing?
Trying to learn the upgrade system without a guide (which I usually try to do on my first run in any RPG) was a complete mess for me.

I caved in by chapter 11 and read a FAQ on it which helped.

Violater

theMrCravens said:
Trying to learn the upgrade system without a guide (which I usually try to do on my first run in any RPG) was a complete mess for me.

I caved in by chapter 11 and read a FAQ on it which helped.

This will probably be my first and only run, hopefully I have the time to finish it.
So I want to get it right from the get go.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
Oh did they scrap any minigames in FFXIII, can't say I'm upset if they did, Triple Triad can suck my ass! :lol

More like they scraped a number of areas.

Cornbread78

Violater said:
Thanks for clearing this up, I was getting confused for a while.

As for me like I have said before, this is my first JRPG and I am trying to get into it.
I finally beat
Odin
last night and I'm still trying to get the hang of the Paradigm shift sys. Any tips you guys can give me would be appreciated.

Thebest thing to do is each time you have a party change, you make sure you go back and update/create new paradigms for your party to use. Make sure they are balances for every occasion and focus on the primary cryo roles for your party members.

.la1n

I really loved the game up until chapter 12 but then it felt more like a chore to finish it, unlike other people I actually like EVERY chapter until then, I guess I just started getting burned out and the story kind of took a turn for stupid.

hayejin

I just defeated
Bart II
and flew back to
coccoon

Can I still go back and finish the optional missions or is there no point of return now?

hayejin said:
I just defeated
Bart II
and flew back to
coccoon

Can I still go back and finish the optional missions or is there no point of return now?
Stuck until next chapter.

Start of next chapter has a portal to go back to Pulse or Cocoon (where you are now).

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I just beat the game.

Ending was alright, but felt like it was missing something. I would have liked an ending where they showed them living on Gran Pulse and maybe a shot to the future where they all live in a village together a couple of years later. Also did they forget about Hope's dad? I expected him to show up near the end when Serah and Dahj came out. What happened to Raines subordinate? He was like one of the only cool characters in the game.

This game was kind of a complete let down for me. This kind of ranks really low on my Final Fantasy Tier list.

Also I like how the game's logo
completely spoils the ending for the game. For those that didn't notice the logo for the game is a picture of Cocoon. The bottom of the picture shows the crystal bridge Vanille and Fang create to save Cocoon from being destroyed by impacting Gran Pulse's surface. Above Cocoon is Vanille and to the bottom right of her is Fang's face. Below Fang is a representation of the beast Ragnarok.

Cornbread78

Trojita said:
I just beat the game.

Ending was alright, but felt like it was missing something. I would have liked an ending where they showed them living on Gran Pulse and maybe a shot to the future where they all live in a village together a couple of years later. Also did they forget about Hope's dad? I expected him to show up near the end when Serah and Dahj came out. What happened to Raines subordinate? He was like one of the only cool characters in the game.

This game was kind of a complete let down for me. This kind of ranks really low on my Final Fantasy Tier list.

Also I like how the game's logo
completely spoils the ending for the game. For those that didn't notice the logo for the game is a picture of Cocoon. The bottom of the picture shows the crystal bridge Vanille and Fang create to save Cocoon from being destroyed by impacting Gran Pulse's surface. Above Cocoon is Vanille and to the bottom right of her is Fang's face. Below Fang is a representation of the beast Ragnarok.

If they could come up with a 2nd villian/plot, they could definately make XIII-2 with the
expansion back onto Gran Pulse and the interaction between a newly connected cacoon and Gran Pulse. I would definately be interested.

Jomjom

Banned
Hoping someone here knows the answer to this question... Is there any way to get the PSN premium avatars that you get from the Chinese/English version of the FF13 game+controller bundle for my US PSN account? Thanks!!!!

Alucrid

Banned
Rahxephon91 said:
Only on 360. Crystal Clear and great on the PS3.

I've made a huge mistake. Oh well, I'll buy it again and play it in two years when I forget everything about the game. It's just really awful though. :|

Also, end game question.
If I beat the final boss and continue post game can I still go back and beat the final boss once I max everything to try and get a 5 star rating?

So I finally got around to finishing this on the weekend. Kinda disappointed how easy the final few bosses were.

Did anyone else not upgrade their weapons at all? I didn't even grind just did a few missions and that's it.

Overall really enjoyed it and continueing into post game now.

Cels

Alucrid said:
Also, end game question.
If I beat the final boss and continue post game can I still go back and beat the final boss once I max everything to try and get a 5 star rating?

yes

zoukka

Started it yesterday and already I'm happy I borrowed it. As in I'm happy I didn't buy it.

The visuals are great. Especially the characters while in battle. And I dig the music actually. But like I already guessed, the characters seem absolutely retarded. Especially the DudeSnow and his weirdo friends. I've said it a thousand times and I'll say it again, but Nomura can't design shit. The NPC:s look even more random than in FFX. I can only guess how the modelers have felt when they saw the concepts :lol

I actually had friends and my girlfriend watching the opening and the following gameplay. All of them were joking about the characters and the shitty dialogue. Jesus Christ.

I'm pretty sure this is the Final Fantasy for me. It's nice to oogle at dem graphix from my new TV, but that's it I'm afraid.

Lain

Finally finished the game.
The ending was ok, although it felt like something was seriously missing.
Even until the end, the only character I was really able to like through and through has been Lighting. Fang was OK, but I didn't like her completely. Vanille at some point was unbearable, as well as Hope (he did grow up, but still). Sazh I didn't like both as a playable character as well as a character in general. Snow was comical sometimes, but he too was kinda lame (less lame than Sazh, but still lame).
Yet, I still liked the game very much. Such an awesome gameplay, such awesome graphics, and a story that, while not amazing, was still good enough for me.

Will they ever make a movie gallery option DLC? That is the thing I am mostly disappointed about the game. Such awesome CG movies, and there isn't an option to rewatch them.

Cornbread78

Man, only 20--25 marks left to get a 5 star on, time for the
Faltwarren's(sp)

Now, I've tried beating the mark for the Growth Egg, but that was a no go, and I've also tried to start killing the turtles. That was a no go as well. I've using Vanille/Snow/Hope linup with Attrition Paradigm as my primary:

Vanille-SAB
Snow- SEN
Hope- MED

I also leveled up the Marlboro wand to max, but nothing they just aren't dying. Seriously, I got my first turtle death with my 8 cast of Death, now, nothing.... I've gotten up as high as 25-30 and nothing. By then he usually uses his stomp and Quake back to back to kill my party off. (they are all over 11K HPs)

What am I doing wrong, or is it just that much of a crap shoot?

Trojita

I just realized something
Cid Raines whole goal was to be free from being controlled by Fal'Cie. Had he just held out longer he would have been free from his bonds like the rest of the guys. Instead he had Rygdea shoot him. Now I'm sad :(

Even though it isn't explained at all in the end of the game and gets the "A Wizard did it" I'm guessing that the reason they lost their brand was because they fulfilled their focus (Or it was negated) but their Fal'Cie (Anima) was dead. The game really doesn't end on that much of a happy note, it's not like they killed the Fal'cie on Pulse as well. Life on Pulse kind of sucks but it's made worse by trigger happy demi-gods that enslave you to do their bidding.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Since the bet started here:
UUcS8.png

DON'T DISAPPOINT ME KAGARI!

Cornbread78

Trojita said:
I just realized something
Cid Raines whole goal was to be free from being controlled by Fal'Cie. Had he just held out longer he would have been free from his bonds like the rest of the guys. Instead he had Rygdea shoot him. Now I'm sad :(

Even though it isn't explained at all in the end of the game and gets the "A Wizard did it" I'm guessing that the reason they lost their brand was because they fulfilled their focus (Or it was negated) but their Fal'Cie (Anima) was dead. The game really doesn't end on that much of a happy note, it's not like they killed the Fal'cie on Pulse as well. Life on Pulse kind of sucks but it's made worse by trigger happy demi-gods that enslave you to do their bidding.

This is kinda ehy the game has been severly branded as "incomplete" isn't it?

Trojita

I just realized something else

Are we to assume they lost their magic and potentially all of their abilities and stats when they lost their brand. This may be a case of story/gameplay segregation but the part about gaining the ability to use magic was only possible until after becoming a L'cie. What are they to use then Manadrives? How do we know those will even work after all of the coccoon fal'cie died? It's going to become a lot harder to live on pulse if your characters skills and stats are reset to beginning level FFXIII standards. That is unless story/gameplay segregation says the bests on pulse are only that hard because they appear later in the game. You could take solace that the soldiers and vehicles late in the game were plenty powerful and a squadron of those could take out a mighty beast, but who knows if the vehicles even work post cocoon destruction? Unless they were powered by a portable power supply that didn't need to be recharged with Fal'cie generated power, then they are fucked in that avenue.

Are we to assume that the soldiers will not remember their face at the end of the game? They were on a terrorist most wanted list. You could assume that they could show that they don't have a L'cie mark anymore so the soldiers could assume that they aren't a threat anymore or it isn't them, I would think that might be kind of unlikely. Without the people just arriving on pulse knowing the real truth, they might think that the terrorists caused cocoon to fall and the fal'cie as a last ditch effort saved them. If we assume all of their crystarium level ups are gone, they are pretty much screwed if the soldiers try to attack them. Unless of course their ultimate weapons are equipped and they can still do decent damage.

Ughh this ending is giving me a headache......

Dedication Through Light said:
Well we see how that turned out. :(

I enjoy listening to this games soundtrack still. Snows Theme, sorta pumps me up to replay the game.

I thought with that much enthusiasm from me they would do it.

I can't fathom why it wasn't shown, I would've been ok with just seeing a 10 second clip of Noctis's shoes

Why didn't they beg Nomura to give them a trailer!

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Waiting for my avatar~

ULTROS!

Kagari said:
It's coming Ultros, don't worry. Trying to decide what I should give you.

Alright, just post it here so it'll be easy for me to see. :D

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
Alucrid said:
Farming Adamantoises sucks. Actually, this entire post-game grind sucks.
agreed. I finally got all of my ultimate weapons, but now I'm broke and need more gil to upgrade everything else. There really should be a better way of obtaining money in this game.

Cornbread78

Scythesurge said:
The last dungeon in this game fucking sucks. I don't want to fight any of these dudes.

Yes, but 32K for killing those bosses again is EPIC! Fill the Cryo baby!

Alucrid said:
Farming Adamantoises sucks. Actually, this entire post-game grind sucks.

How do you kill the F'ing things? Seriously, I killed 1 in 5 mins, now I can spend 20 mins and still nothing....

This is what I've bee doing:

Now, I've tried beating the mark for the Growth Egg, but that was a no go, and I've also tried to start killing the turtles. That was a no go as well. I've using Vanille/Snow/Hope linup with Attrition Paradigm as my primary:

Vanille-SAB
Snow- SEN
Hope- MED

I also leveled up the Marlboro wand to max, but nothing they just aren't dying. Seriously, I got my first turtle death with my 8 cast of Death, now, nothing.... I've gotten up as high as 25-30 and nothing. By then he usually uses his stomp and Quake back to back to kill my party off. (they are all over 11K HPs)

I even tried callig in Hect to knowck the turtle down first, but still nothing.....

ULTROS!

Scythesurge said:
The last dungeon in this game fucking sucks. I don't want to fight any of these dudes.

I suggest using the -sols for the enemies. But when you fight the
bosses before the final bosses, I suggest killing them all since they give loads of EXP.

Cornbread78 said:
Yes, but 32K for killing those bosses again is EPIC! Fill the Cryo baby!
Can I grind against those guys? I think I heard that I can but later in the chapter? Right now I'm fighting the second "major encounter," some guy that starts with a 'W' and has a sword.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom