• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
UntoldDreams said:
Just started playing...

Whoah I had no idea there was a free form 3D camera.

This is the first Final Fantasy with a free camera right? Looking around at the environments is an interesting change.

I think the camera can be a real arse when it wants to be (most of the time in other words)

Loving the style of the game, inventory system and menu's are goddamn amazing.

Muisc is a little meh, loud footsteps suck.

Battle system is cool, enjoying it a lot more than 12's at any rate (12 is the only ff game I haven't completed)

The crystal system is a little naff compared to the sphere grid from my view point at the moment, simple but boring because of it (does it get better later or is this it?)

Overall im enjoying it more than I thought I would.

Shouta

BocoDragon said:
Sure, but the classic videogame staple of having a character in a cutscene tell you about the world, or more commonly picking up bits and pieces of history lessons from townspeople, was just as much of a crutch.

Except in the case of a codex, if you don't read it the game is reduced to a babbling mess. Cutscenes and townspeople are still an element within the game and don't require stepping outside of the experience to learn about it. I mentioned it in my break down of the game but it's a very much a cardinal rule for me. Never leave terms, beings, ideas etc unexplained if it is key to making the story function properly. I mean you can have a story that doesn't explain certain elements be fine but that's because the information wasn't important in the first place. FF13 breaks that pretty badly. More so towards the last few chapters than the first few though the first half or so has many issues of its own.

aryies

Neo Member
could someone please give me a brief, basic explanation of what the hell (C7 spoiler)
lightning is having a sook about? when she is saying she "realised she has been wrong all along etc etc

LiK

Shouta said:
Except in the case of a codex, if you don't read it the game is reduced to a babbling mess. Cutscenes and townspeople are still an element within the game and don't require stepping outside of the experience to learn about it. I mentioned it in my break down of the game but it's a very much a cardinal rule for me. Never leave terms, beings, ideas etc unexplained if it is key to making the story function properly. I mean you can have a story that doesn't explain certain elements be fine but that's because the information isn't exactly the most key of issues to understanding what's going. FF13 breaks that pretty badly. More so towards the last few chapters than the first few though the first half or so has many issues of its own.

i agree, i had no clue what they were talking about during the first hour. it's probably worse that i dont have subs on so i dunno what the hell was L'Cie was or whatever :lol

but i'll just go with the flow.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Classic_Gs said:
Spot on. I too am disappointed that the BGM cannot be adjusted, and the game's overall volume with my sound system is too low. I have to turn the volume up more with FFXIII than any game in recent memory that I have played.

I don't think the mix is that bad. Sometimes if there's a lot going on the vocals get kind of drowned out but if you have subtitles on it's not an issue. I thought FFX and FFXII had this issue too though. The battle sounds could have a bit more impact but it's not that bad.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
What is up with the drunk camera? I hate that there's no "camera" reset button that just aims it from behind your character's POV, another sigh.

edit: and also no quick "go to map" button either...

leng jai

omg rite said:
I don't think the mix is that bad. Sometimes if there's a lot going on the vocals get kind of drowned out but if you have subtitles on it's not an issue. I thought FFX and FFXII had this issue too though. The battle sounds could have a bit more impact but it's not that bad.

Its bad when you compare it to other high profile games such as MGS4 and Uncharted 2. Its just a stark contrast with the graphical fidelity which is disappointing.

hateradio said:
What is up with the drunk camera? I hate that there's no "camera" reset button that just aims it from behind your character's POV, another sigh.

Can't you click the analog?

noisome07

Banned
hateradio said:

What? Did you even try hitting anything other than A/X yet?

Pushing in the right analog resets the camera while X/Square opens up your map.

Jesus.

NewLib

Banned
Got the game today. Put in quite a bit of work on it.

So far: Im pleasantly surprised. Early impressions got me really worried. Yeah the maps are all corridors but it isnt that much worse than FFX was.

So far characters are a bit early to tell as Im still on Chapter 3 (but I think Im almost done). Lightning seems to take the worst elements of Cloud as a character. Still maybe there will be some development there. I like Sazh. Vanille is basically Rikku.

I like the battle system so far. The first two chapters were kind of boring with it and they probably should have geared it up sooner (obviously couldnt for story reasons but still). Though I really like the ideas they are using. I can see how switching paradigms is going to be a major strategy point.

My biggest minus of this game is the storytelling. Codexs are fine for fleshing out the world and culture, but you cant leave major plot points just in the Codex. Its sloppy. When I have to check out the Codex to figure out what is going on with the main story, something is wrong.

I think the biggest part where I feel the towns missing is the way the story feels. Its a big downer so far. Which is fine, but thats hard to maintain over a 30 hour period. Towns would have atleast gave you some respite from it and maybe a chance to add a little humor into the game. (Outside of LOOK CHOCOBO)

Still, not a terrible start. I doubt this game will become one of my favorite FF games, but I really thought coming in it might be the worse (not counting FF2 obviously). That looks not to be the case.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
OK guys, check this shit out. Theory time:

When Snow falls off that thing with Hope's mom in the beginning? He really died, and the rest of the game is his manic, DMT-fueled hallucination. I mean, he fell like 20 stories and that woman died, but he, inexplicably, survives, and the game doesn't even try to explain it. Not only that, but he's in well enough condition to continue fighting hordes of death bots.

So anyway, I played about 3 hours today and I'm not sure how I feel about the game so far. I don't think I dislike the game, but I'm not sure I like it either.

I think I just might be getting too old for bubblegum jrpg crap to be all that appealing to me. But maybe I'll warm up to it when I get a bit further...

hateradio

noisome07 said:
What? Did you even try hitting anything other than A/X yet?

Pushing in the right analog resets the camera while X/Square opens up your map.

Jesus.
Hey-sus indeed.

But there's nothing that can be done about the camera being so wobbly?

Lost Fragment said:

When Snow falls off that thing with Hope's mom in the beginning? He really died, and the rest of the game is his manic, DMT-fueled hallucination. I mean, he fell like 20 stories and that woman died, but he, inexplicably, survives, and the game doesn't even try to explain it. Not only that, but he's in well enough condition to continue fighting hordes of death bots.
Isn't that like the FFVIII
Squal dies
theory? But then he would be Seifer.

Einbroch

Banned
Lost Fragment said:

So anyway, I played about 3 hours today and I'm not sure how I feel about the game so far. I don't think I dislike the game, but I'm not sure I like it either.

I think I might be getting too old for bubblegum jrpg crap to be all that appealing to me.
FFVIII-2?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
loving the beginning of Chapter 4 with Sazh and Vanille.

The Synergist/Saboteur (Tide Turner? Or something) combo mixed with Ravager/Saboteur (Undermine) before going all out with Rav/Rav (Dualcaster) during the enemy vs enemy fights is a lot of fun. It's the first time the battle system has really opened up and really required/accommodated somewhat strategic play. I've also spent some time grinding (well, in the lightest sense of the word, in that I ran back once or twice for more CP).

Excellent.

NewLib

Banned
Lost Fragment said:

I think I might be getting too old for bubblegum jrpg crap to be all that appealing to me.

Yeah I agree and actually I also think
Serah is Ultimetica.

Only played the first hour. Im liking it. The graphics are gorgeous.. the story was a bit confusing early on and I had to read the little encyclopedia but now it makes sense and I'm kinda stoked to see what goes on.

I dont really get the whole auto battle thing.. Kinda makes it mind numbing easy? Maybe this will change.

I was confused on why Snows back had an emblem during fights and why it disappeared in off fights but now I get it.. changes with weapon too.. haha

I've been playing for the first hour, and I'm not too impressed. The graphics are gorgeous, but everything else is underwhelming so far. I really hope that changes for me.

Lost Fragment said:

I'm 6 hours in and I feel the exact same way still. It's starting to feel a lot like Crisis Core in how the basic game flows. I'm really enjoying the battle system and the presentation, but not sure if I really enjoy the cutscene > battle > repeat aspect.

TurtleSnatcher said:
I dont really get the whole auto battle thing.. Kinda makes it mind numbing easy? Maybe this will change.

Wait till chapter 3 before you judge the battle system, suffice to say you can't rely on the auto battle for long.

hateradio

RadioHeadAche said:
I've been playing for the first hour, and I'm not too impressed. The graphics are gorgeous, but everything else is underwhelming so far. I really hope that changes for me.
The whole first tunel is quite boring, it gets a bit better after that whole area.

Scythesurge said:
I'm really missing the classic FF music/fanfare. Despite some pacing issues, this game is shaping up to be really great!
Agreed, and just b/c Uematsu isn't here, doesn't mean that they should have taken it out.

HamPster PamPster said:
Plot Hole!
How can Hope say Pulse is hell on earth... if there is no earth??
Earth = dirt/ground/soil. Not just this planet, but I suppose he should have said Cocoon.

jiggle said:
Home items goes up on March 11th apparently.

No sign of the outfits and I doubt the personal space will be free like it was in japan when it came out, I will be getting the tonberry, carbuncle, cactuar and the gunblade stand.

Scythesurge said:
I'm really missing the classic FF music/fanfare.

Me too, and it's made worse by the fact that I'm also playing FFVI.

The voice acting is okay so far, but nothing great. I really liked how Lightning announced a "preemtive strike" to the enemy just before attacking.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
kyo_daikun said:
No sign of the outfits and I doubt the personal space will be free like it was in japan when it came out, I will be getting the tonberry, carbuncle, cactuar and the gunblade stand.

From the wording on the blog it sounds like they're releasing some now and some later.

Banned
Shouta said:
Except in the case of a codex, if you don't read it the game is reduced to a babbling mess. Cutscenes and townspeople are still an element within the game and don't require stepping outside of the experience to learn about it. I mentioned it in my break down of the game but it's a very much a cardinal rule for me. Never leave terms, beings, ideas etc unexplained if it is key to making the story function properly. I mean you can have a story that doesn't explain certain elements be fine but that's because the information wasn't important in the first place. FF13 breaks that pretty badly. More so towards the last few chapters than the first few though the first half or so has many issues of its own.
I think you should play it again without reading the codex. It's pretty simple to figure out as long as you are willing to be in the dark for a few minutes.

leng jai said:
Its bad when you compare it to other high profile games such as MGS4 and Uncharted 2. Its just a stark contrast with the graphical fidelity which is disappointing.
Yes, the sound definitely does not match the incredible visuals, unfortunately.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I'd say right now my biggest complaint with the game is with the bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad very bad bad bad bad bad very bad dialog.

Other than that, the graphics are just amazing. Battles are fun. World is really interesting and most of the character designs are pretty darn good. I love the cinematic quality to the game.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
~Kinggi~ said:
I'd say right now my biggest complaint with the game is with the bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad very bad bad bad bad bad very bad dialog.

Other than that, the graphics are just amazing. Battles are fun. World is really interesting and most of the character designs are pretty darn good. I love the cinematic quality to the game.

The dialogue was terrible in the Japanese version too.

7ish hours in. Just beat
Odin. Piloting that mech thing was awesome even if it did control like ass.

I'm really liking the crystalarium system a lot more than the sphere grid. I'm actually taking time to think about how to allocate the points. Same with the paradigms. Now that I can't just have all the combinations in one set, I'm changing them frequently to see which ones work.

Banned
Oli said:
Just quit after reaching Chapter 3. Wow this game is amazing. I realize I have nothing to go by, as this is my entry point into the main series, but good grief. If this is the worst in the series as some claim, I'd love to see the best.
Don't bother. No other FF looks as good or has a battle system as fun as this. All you will get in other games are.... Towns

shwimpy

Just wanted to say the battle system is top notch. 5 hours in and enjoying every second of it including the lulzy dialogue. No problems whatsoever with Vanille. Although, Hope needs to butch it up a notch or 10...

Google

LiK said:
i had no clue what they were talking about during the first hour.

I have no clue where this is coming from, as I felt the complete opposite.

I was continually reading the codex, and the background documents on the history, towns, peoples and story.

It made sense to do so.

They give you a tutorial about 2 minutes into the game that basically says, "READ THE FUCKING CODEX YOU FAT, LAZY CUNT!"

I dont mess around when a game calls me a cunt.

Since then, the codex has been pretty invaluable in just understanding what the fuck I'm watching on screen.

I have no problem watching a wonderful CG of some waves being turned to Crystal - but I dont want some anime emo tween telling me why this just happened so that I feel stupid.

I have no issue with a world being created with it's own history and backstory, and then presenting said history in an easy to digest form throughout the game.

I'd rather that than be spoon fed details during in-game cutscenes - that just fucking screams annoyance to me.

Firestorm

The problem I'm finding with the Datalog is the game expects you to read it, but seems to repeat very similar points in most of the entries. I'm reading all but "Events" which seem to be chapter summaries, the Primers, and Enemy Intel.

Sazh's VA is great. Vanille... is it just me or does her accent come off as super fake and sometimes not even there?

ZeoVGM

Banned
TurtleSnatcher said:

Simple enough really: don't use it. I haven't since the first battle. Go into the options and set it so defaults to Abilities when you enter a battle.

Feep

Banned
Okay, quick question.

I'm in Chapter 4, fighting the
robot things
that you need to stagger or they take an eternity to kill. Under normal circumstances, the Chain Gauge decreases far too rapidly to ever stagger with only two characters.

However, under certain circumstances, the rate of decrease drastically lowers, allowing me to stagger. At first I thought this was a side benefit of Deshell or Deprotect, as it seemed to occur when Vanille was acting as Saboteur. But some further testing disproved that. I can't narrow it down; exactly what effect is causing this?

Firestorm said:
Sazh's VA is great. Vanille... is it just me or does her accent come off as super fake and sometimes not even there?
Definitely not just you. Ugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom