• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
polyh3dron said:
I'm a bit disappointed in the audio mix for this game, I was expecting it to push my system and it's just weak, dialogue heavy and tinny. :( Not working the sub at ALL.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed this. The audio is so... flat. So far that's my only issue with the game, but it was definitely not a problem I expected.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
BocoDragon said:
what? :lol

Man I really gotta stop coming into this thread :lol It's killing my soul.

FFXIII has already done that to you..

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
DevelopmentArrested said:
It's just a matter of taste!
You're trying to make a snarky comment, but YEAH actually. They're entitled to their opinion that I don't share at all.

LiK

Jugendstil said:
I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed this. The audio is so... flat. So far that's my only issue with the game, but it was definitely not a problem I expected.

the surrounds are well done for stuff flying around and explosions but i agree, my bass ain't getting a good workout. sorta disappointed with that.

CAW

Did FFXIII kill my blu-ray player?

I have about 5 hours in but am only on chapter 3. I took some time paused today while reading the datapad and just general busyness. Anyway, the game froze on me and I was forced to literally power down the PS3. I booted it back up and the game wouldn't load. I could hear the Blu-ray, it was making a loading loop noise but the screen was black. I removed the disc, shut down the PS3, booted it back up and put the disk it. It loaded but I couldn't load my save file, it kept freezing. Tried the save file in my brothers PS3, worked fine.

I did a quick format on my 40gig PS3 because I figured perhaps I had too much crap installed. Loaded the save file back on the PS3 from a USB, ran the game and the save file loaded. Played for a bit (like a minute and a half), noticed the music stopped but the game was still working, encountered an enemy and the game froze again.

In the game I'm stuck between:

fighting the green behemoth just after a save point, trying to make it to the other save point

The game keeps freezing on me and I notice it keeps freezing just after the music stops playing.

Is this a bug that anyone has heard of or does it sound like my PS3 is on the way out?

A week ago I spent hours playing Heavy Rain with no issues. :(

BocoDragon

survivor said:
People hate the battle music? I sometimes delay the battle just so I can listen to the good parts of the battle music. Maybe it just doesn't compare to previous FF games, but since I never played any I guess I don't have any standards or experience.
I think it's one of the best battle themes in the series aside from maybe FF8. My only problem is that they killed the battle theme by playing it in the trailers for 4 years.

Blackace said:
FFXIII has already done that to you..
The game, I love. The shitstorm it will cause on the internet for years to come... I'm very afraid of :lol

BocoDragon

ithorien said:
You can thank the original director of FFXII for that. He's the one that removed it from 12, and I guess the trend stuck through.
It was the level up theme in that game though!

survivor

Banned
BocoDragon said:
I think it's one of the best battle themes in the series aside from maybe FF8. My only problem is that they killed the battle theme by playing it in the trailers for 4 years.
Ya that thing kinda surprised me. When I first listened to the music today when I played, I was like "whoa, wasn't this from a trailer ages ago?" It's still good.

BTW, anyone entered the code that came with the game? I'm trying to get to SE website but it seems down. I just wanna know what happens when you enter the code.

Kronotech

Only just began Snow's mission.

Loving it so far. I was really worried about the battle system after the reviews but it'll do alright with me for now. I think I'm going to love Snow simply because I'm still playing ToV and I just picture Yuri.

Everyone has said it but this games looks amaaaaazing.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
This game's got the best battle themes in the series and the most of them. Because that's how Hamauzu rolls.

careksims

ithorien said:
You can thank the original director of FFXII for that. He's the one that removed it from 12, and I guess the trend stuck through.

What you talking about? It was still in FF12!

Darn beaten. XD

BocoDragon said:

The game, I love. The shitstorm it will cause on the internet for years to come... I'm very afraid of :lol

Different strokes for different folks. I honestly prefer the Midis from the earlier SNES games to the underwhelming theme they used in this.

Asherdude said:
I'm actually happy that the victory music is gone. It always sounded so cheesy that it would send a chill up my spine.

Regardless of what you may think the theme was always one of the traditions of Final fantasy. After hearing it you could tell you were playing an FF game. I'm really disappointed they took it out.

ithorien said:

Didn't FFXII have the victory theme after you defeated a boss?

BocoDragon

To be honest, ever since FF7 I fully expected musical staples of the series to be impermanent. The battle results music was the same from FF1-6, and 7 killed it off. You 7 kiddies don't know that that game killed off a few old school traditions itself!

Then we've had games which didn't have the prelude at all, or only as an easter egg (FF8 and 12)... I don't know if it makes an appearance in this game either..

lucablight said:
Different strokes for different folks.
Aye. :)

Styles

Launching enemies into the air is so satisfying. I found myself dying a few times to normal monsters cause I didn't take notice of their HP.:lol

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
CAW said:
Did FFXIII kill my blu-ray player?

I have about 5 hours in but am only on chapter 3. I took some time paused today while reading the datapad and just general busyness. Anyway, the game froze on me and I was forced to literally power down the PS3. I booted it back up and the game wouldn't load. I could hear the Blu-ray, it was making a loading loop noise but the screen was black. I removed the disc, shut down the PS3, booted it back up and put the disk it. It loaded but I couldn't load my save file, it kept freezing. Tried the save file in my brothers PS3, worked fine.

I did a quick format on my 40gig PS3 because I figured perhaps I had too much crap installed. Loaded the save file back on the PS3 from a USB, ran the game and the save file loaded. Played for a bit (like a minute and a half), noticed the music stopped but the game was still working, encountered an enemy and the game froze again.

In the game I'm stuck between:

fighting the green behemoth just after a save point, trying to make it to the other save point

The game keeps freezing on me and I notice it keeps freezing just after the music stops playing.

Is this a bug that anyone has heard of or does it sound like my PS3 is on the way out?

A week ago I spent hours playing Heavy Rain with no issues. :(

Start a new save and see if that works?

Oli

Just quit after reaching Chapter 3. Wow this game is amazing. I realize I have nothing to go by, as this is my entry point into the main series, but good grief. If this is the worst in the series as some claim, I'd love to see the best.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
BocoDragon said:

It will make XII seem like child's play.

For me, I dunno. I guess its the benefit of being in NA. I already knew what to expect, what was cut out, what was different. Its hard to be disappointed when you know whats up going in. If I had no expectations other than the previous FFs track records, I can see why people don't like it. So far the "tube" maps haven't bothered be because a) they're visually impressive, b) no random encounters, c) paced fairly well with the cutscenes. The characters have grown on me, 'cept Hope. I hold no crazy expectation for the story because a) its a video game b) its a JRPG c) its FF, I know the deal by now. I like it, and I think it may do better in the west than some think. Just a hunch.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Man, it took -forever- for the battle system to open up. So glad I can finally press more than X.

Serah and her 12-year-old stick arms. If only they could have made her look just a bit older. Every scene with Snow and her together is just ick.

Voice acting is fine, except for the overkill on the reaction vocalizations. They could have cut that back by 50% and it would have been enough.

I want to go shopping but there's nothing out there to really buy yet. Should I sell weapons that I'm no longer using?

Nightz

Ok, I'm about an hour into the game and I have no idea what's going on story-wise. I'm hearing words like
fal'Cie and l'Cie
and I'm like "what in the world is that?" Did I miss something or is that stuff going to be explained later on? If not, can someone give me a quick explanation? :lol

luxarific said:
Voice acting is fine, except for the overkill on the reaction vocalizations. They could have cut that back by 50% and it would have been enough.

I fucking love the action grunts and exhales and whatnot. So hilarious. All I can ever think of is Jenna recording dialogue for Tracy's Sex Video Game off 30 Rock.

:lol

BocoDragon

truly101 said:
It will make XII seem like child's play.

For me, I dunno. I guess its the benefit of being in NA. I already knew what to expect, what was cut out, what was different. Its hard to be disappointed when you know whats up going in. If I had no expectations other than the previous FFs track records, I can see why people don't like it. So far the "tube" maps haven't bothered be because a) they're visually impressive, b) no random encounters, c) paced fairly well with the cutscenes. The characters have grown on me, 'cept Hope. I hold no crazy expectation for the story because a) its a video game b) its a JRPG c) its FF, I know the deal by now. I like it, and I think it may do better in the west than some think. Just a hunch.
I couldn't agree more with everything you've said!

luxarific

Nork unification denier
BenjaminBirdie said:
I fucking love the action grunts and exhales and whatnot. So hilarious. All I can ever think of is Jenna recording dialogue for Tracy's Sex Video Game off 30 Rock.

:lol

True, they're extremely funny, but are we supposed to be laughing? :lol I suppose I should just sit back and enjoy it.

BocoDragon

Nightz said:
Ok, I'm about an hour into the game and I have no idea what's going on story-wise. I'm hearing words like
fal'Cie and l'Cie
and I'm like "what in the world is that?" Did I miss something or is that stuff going to be explained later on? If not, can someone give me a quick explanation? :lol
Protip: Read the lore in the menu! That's where you're supposed to learn about it!

Most of the story is actually explained through it. I'm really enjoying this method of dishing out the backstory, because it spares us pandery exposition cutscenes..

Tamanon

Banned
Plus I think folks are forgetting exactly how linear Final Fantasy X was. It just wasted a lot more time getting crap rewards out of town chests and with pointless NPC conversation

LiK

luxarific said:
True, they're extremely funny, but are we supposed to be laughing? :lol I suppose I should just sit back and enjoy it.

indeed, someone is gonna have fun suing clips to make a video on youtube

luxarific said:

I don't know, man, it's not like the dialogue really takes itself that seriously. It's all fun, man! I love it!

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Nightz said:
fal'Cie and l'Cie

FF games always seem to have bullshit like this, ever since VI really.
I think the Fal' Cie are some sort of ancient race of beings with god like powers. They built Cocoon and they also inhabit pulse down below. For whatever reason, the Fal'Cie from pulse supposedly don't like Cocoon, so they use their magical powers to subvert the population and send them on quests n junk. The people that are subverted are called L'Cie, and they have a mission to complete, called a focus for their Fal' Cie masters. Its kinda like a calling from god, only the people in Cocoon, particularly the government, see those who are called as threats to the peace.
Thats what I have so far.

Edit, sorry for that, since it was kind of the opening background to the story, didn't know how spoilery that would be. Better to be safe than sorry.

Dragon

Banned
truly101 said:
FF games always seem to have bullshit like this, ever since VI really. I think the Fal' Cie are some sort of ancient race of beings with god like powers. They built Cocoon and they also inhabit pulse down below. For whatever reason, the Fal'Cie from pulse supposedly don't like Cocoon, so they use their magical powers to subvert the population and send them on quests n junk. The people that are subverted are called L'Cie, and they have a mission to complete, called a focus for their Fal' Cie masters. Its kinda like a calling from god, only the people in Cocoon, particularly the government, see those who are called as threats to the peace. Thats what I have so far.

Spoil that dookieeeeeee

aryies

Neo Member
up to chapter 7. really enjoying it, but one thing i really dont like is how minor spoiler
the party is constantly split, having to do different scenarios constantly. i dont mind this happening occasionally, but i enjoyed the groups synergy when they were together

but the combat, my god. im always looking forward to the next boss/hard fight :D

BocoDragon

truly101 said:
FF games always seem to have bullshit like this, ever since VI really. I think the Fal' Cie are some sort of ancient race of beings with god like powers. They built Cocoon and they also inhabit pulse down below. For whatever reason, the Fal'Cie from pulse supposedly don't like Cocoon, so they use their magical powers to subvert the population and send them on quests n junk. The people that are subverted are called L'Cie, and they have a mission to complete, called a focus for their Fal' Cie masters. Its kinda like a calling from god, only the people in Cocoon, particularly the government, see those who are called as threats to the peace. Thats what I have so far.
Again, please read the lore in the menu. Almost from the beginning of the game, when they're babbling about cie this n that, you can go into the menu and get the full scoop.

The world of XIII so far seems more alien than any in the series.. I'm loving it.

The focus thing actually reminds me of Megaten.

Im kinda getting tired of the futuristic setting that FF games have always been taking place for the past 10 years. It would be a nice change of pace if it went back to the past. So far the battle engine is tight but the linear beginning is starting to get on me. Im dying for the open world part to start. This game doesnt feel much like an RPG, its more of a battle simulator with breaks in between battles. The voice acting is meh, especially after playing Uncharted 2.

Styles

luxarific said:
Man, it took -forever- for the battle system to open up. So glad I can finally press more than X.

Serah and her 12-year-old stick arms. If only they could have made her look just a bit older. Every scene with Snow and her together is just ick.

I want to go shopping but there's nothing out there to really buy yet. Should I sell weapons that I'm no longer using?

They just made Snow too tallll.
2m
high WTF.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
BocoDragon said:
The focus thing actually reminds me of Megaten.

I can see that, the focus is kind of like..the Mantra from Nocturne, was that what they called it. The two friends, the creepy guy and the teacher lady were all trying to establish their mantra...or something. I guess the Focus is sort of like that.

leng jai

NinjaFusion said:
I love snow! I want to marry him... even if it means bad things happen to me and i have to become a fictional wide eyed girl... i would do it to have him. If he were real i'd stalk him and steal his underwear from his washing basket (yes, before washing).

Anyway.... impressions thus far

1 - OMG the presentation is amazing.
These are surely the best visuals to come out of japan on PS3 to date. Move over MT Framework, Crystal Tools just kicked you in teh nuts! Just got to lake bresha... totally wide-eyed at the environments... and the battle visuals are so rich and silky, it's like galaxy chocolate for the eyes.

2 - love love love the battle system. the paradigm shifts seem, even at this early stage, like a brilliant way to change strategy with micro managing the characters.

3 - i actually like the linearity. Tell me this... how many RPGS give you any really choice over how you advance the main story? FFXII streamlines things, sure, but it all neatly side steps the contrivance / padding of roaming a around an overworld. this is the jrpg reimagined as a rollercoaster ride... and i like it.

4 - hang on my eyes are bleeding from the amazing

5 - sound design. beautiful, super-crisp, well composed and full of detail. the sound and effects are exemplary.

i can't wait to spend a few more hours with this, but alas i must work tomorrow. I know where this weekend is going!!!

I'm sorry but no, the sound mix is mediocre at best. The volume levels are all over the place and the bass output is inconsistent as hell. Half the time you'll expect a heavy oomph from the sub and you'll get nothing. All the weapons/moves in the game have little impact and sound weak, and there is a noticable drop in quality between the cutscene audio and in-audio. Its pathetic that the game doesn't allow you to adjust the sound levels for speech/effects/BGM.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
To be honest, I was pretty much zoning out during the early part of the game in Cocoon outside of admiring the visuals, but now that I've had access to Paradigm Shift for about 2 hours, I gotta say that I'm really enjoying the combat.

Juggling healing, putting in buff/debuff casters as necessary, filling an enemy's chain gauge, and then pounding on anything that staggers - all with quick Shifts - keeps the pace really snappy.

I don't get where all the hate for Vanille's voice actress is coming from. I'm not a fan of high pitched female voices (though c'mon, Japanese seiyuu have that market cornered), but the Australian accent has grown on me considerably. I bet the lines that do bug (the giggling and "ciao!" etc.) are in the exact same spirit as the original Japanese - it was probably just as annoying in the native language.

luxarific said:
That and the height difference - she comes up to like the middle of Snow's chest, ugh.

BocoDragon

Tamanon said:
I actually kinda prefer the codex method instead of tons of exposition to folks who already know this stuff.
Yeah, it seems to work well... the way the game started out in media res, and then didn't really spell it to you was pretty realistic. In FFVII, Barret would be explaining things to you that, in retrospect, Cloud really should have known about..

BocoDragon

truly101 said:
I can see that, the focus is kind of like..the Mantra from Nocturne, was that what they called it. The two friends, the creepy guy and the teacher lady were all trying to establish their mantra...or something. I guess the Focus is sort of like that.
It's a rather disturbing character motivation for an FF game, I think, being
cursed by gods
or whatever. I like it so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom