• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Le-mo said:
How would the transactions work, though? I can just use my credit card and make a purchase then get it ship over here?

Yes, Amazon just works as a go-between. Just check if they mention "international delivery available" and order. They will get your order and process it, Amazon will even inform you when they ship it. Bought LE FFXII guide this way for 15GBP.

Sometimes Amazon won't have an item in stock but Marketplace seller will have it dirt cheap.

Ronok

Yesterday I got pissed off and collected another copy of FFXIII CE (PS3) from Game, so I've got another one coming in from Amazon. I was going to return it, but, if someone is having a hard time finding a copy I wouldn't mind selling it to you for retail price. :-/

Dunno if I'm allowed to discuss this hear, but send me a pm if you want.

leng jai

Le-mo said:
How would the transactions work, though? I can just use my credit card and make a purchase then get it ship over here?

Oh you Americans.... I live in Australia and frequently buy from US/UK/Japan/HK vendors. Works in exaclty the same way after currency conversion.

Le-mo

Castor Krieg said:
Yes, Amazon just works as a go-between. Just check if they mention "international delivery available" and order. They will get your order and process it, Amazon will even inform you when they ship it. Bought LE FFXII guide this way for 15GBP.

Sometimes Amazon won't have an item in stock but Marketplace seller will have it dirt cheap.
Will be there any hidden fees on my credit card? Just making sure.

Kruhex

Zzoram said:
I find a lot of the time, I just watch my party leader's HP bar while mashing X. When it gets below half, I'll paradigm shift to get my Medic, then shift back to Com/Rav/Rav and keep mashing X.

I hate how I can't even watch the battle and enjoy the animations because the health bar is so thin and hard to see that I have to stare at it to make sure I don't accidentally die. Also, because the TP bar is laying against the HP bar sometimes I mistake it for my HP while doing a quick glance.

Heh, stopped playing right when I finally joined with Hope so I'll take your word on that. Vanille is bad but I can't bring myself to say that she is worse than those two character abominations. Anyways, I hope it gets better in the next 10 hours or I might return it and get Yakuza 3 (which I know I will love).

Le-mo said:
Will be there any hidden fees on my credit card? Just making sure.

It depends on your card company, but most of the time there shouldn't be, they will simply convert GBP to USD (if you order from UK) and charge you accordingly.

Le-mo

Castor Krieg said:
It depends on your card company, but most of the time there shouldn't be, they will simply convert GBP to USD (if you order from UK) and charge you accordingly.
Thanks a lot.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Nose Master said:
Chocobo chick is the best character in the game. :lol

Just came back in here to comment on her entry in the Datalog:

"The chick has no name, as voicing the true identity of the animal might trigger ripples of destiny across Cocoon and cause a hurricane in Eden. Either that, or Sazh just hasn't thought of one yet."

:lol

Just got to
the crystal lake part
Customization is kicking in and the battle system with different stances and shit is kicking in.

HOT.

I was really worried for the first few.. but so far this game is turning great.

The story is really good so far as well.

Zzoram

TurtleSnatcher said:
Just got to
the crystal lake part
Customization is kicking in and the battle system with different stances and shit is kicking in.

HOT.

I was really worried for the first few.. but so far this game is turning great.

The story is really good so far as well.

Combat certainly gets better around then. Chapter 3 is when I lost my first battle. However, the story is still meh. It's not awful (thank goodness) but all the moans/groans/grunts (mostly from Vanille and Hope) are still horribly embarassing.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
totally loving the game so far.

it's weird, I wouldn't want any and every game to play like this, but I'm glad this experimentation exists.

I'm only mid-way through Chapter 4 at about 5.5 hours so maybe it all starts to wear a bit thin later, but so far so good.

edit: oh wow, make that almost seven hours. that last session was longer than I thought!

roxya

Hay guys I just
SPOILERSPOILERSPOILER
<<< is not how you do spoiler tags.

I played for about an hour after unlocking Paradigm Shift, it seems like a lot of fun now. Unlike pretty much every other FF, I'm seeking out battles instead of avoiding them. This is in part due to being healed after fights.

Atrophis

Just under 6 hours in and im at the start of chapter 4.

Game is really starting to come together. First chapter was a bit lacklustre with the boring combat but when all the options start to open up its almost too damn fast :lol

I think i could have gotten to where i am so much quicker but i cant help but stop and just stare at the gorgeous scenery every couple of steps. Seriously cant believe they have pulled off this level of detail in these huge environments.

FF finally has the epic feel of the PS era games back now that the hardware can replicate, in 3D, the huge prerendered backgrounds with seamless cut scenes.

Character wise Sazh > everyone else. He's the only character that reacts in a natural way in every scene so far. Also can we take bets on
how many times Lightening is going to punch Snow in the face by the end of the game?
:D

I have a good feeling about this game. A good feeling that out of FF7, 8, 10, 12 and now 13, that this will be the first FF i actually complete!

diddlyD

Banned
Ballistictiger said:
To me FF13 is kind of a mesh of FF12 and FFX. Linearity of FFX and evolution of the gambit system of FF12.

FFX is Elder Scrolls: Oblivion compared to FF13 so far. i mean i read about it but i'm still amazed how the whole game so far has been a tunnel. in fact it's a tunnel in a tunnel, they don't even let you walk to the edges of the visible tunnel. stupid invisible walls everywhere. i keep longing for a nice town to run around in, even though i know i'm never gonna get one.

i'm still having fun though. the game captures that certain absurd ridiculousness that's nostalgic in some sick way to me. the ridiculous story, the ridiculous characters, the ridiculous behavior, gameplay, dialogue, all ridiculous. and it is a great looking ride through this tunnel of ridiculousness.

something about a main line final fantasy and the new god of war hitting the same month has put me in a good gaming mood. it feels like, in a way after 3-4 years, this console generation has finally really gotten started.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
the character models are stunning, but I'm not really all that impressed with the environments. very simple geometry, so far. plays and feels like a PS2 game.

remz

Rez said:
the character models are stunning, but I'm not really all that impressed with the environments. very simple geometry, so far. plays and feels like a PS2 game.
Depends on the area, IMO. I'm in one forest thing and it's very pretty.

The crystal area, I thought looked great too.

also snow is totally every woman's whipping boy, poor bastard.

Dead

well not really...yet
Just finished Chapter 5. Enjoying it so much. So far the game is faaar superior to FFXII (superior gameplay) and X (superior characters).

The battle system is really beyond awesome. However I haven't quite dipped into weapon upgrading yet, I'm kinda scared to, in case I end up using some components I have now that I might need later in the game...?

u_neek

chandoog said:
I assume the 96 million include spin-offs?

Dead said:
Enjoying it so much. So far the game is faaar superior to FFXII (superior gameplay) and X (superior characters).
Agreed. I'm loving the backlash of the backlash after the Western release.

I'm 8 hours in atm and must admit that I DO miss pit-stops in between the dungeon crawling. The game does so many other things right that you kinda forget it though.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Chapter 2 right now.

Vanille is so... Bubbly

painey

The final boss of Disk 2.. the most epic boss fight I have ever played in any RPG ever.. It wasnt a slow battle, I was constantly healing, buffing, debuffing.. and I have a strong team.. boss even cast Doom and I beat it with seconds to spare.. phew.
4422367800_bbefe30c87_b.jpg

klegnug

Neo Member
I have played about 3 hours (ish)

Im really now starting to enjoy the game for what it is - it started off very slow and the battle system was meh but now more has started opening up and im loving the pace and quick thinking needed.

I have no problems with Vanille at all it actully makes a nice change from some of the more generic charaters from the games I have been playing of late - sometimes the VA is a little off but thats no problem for me.

Hope on the other hand - urgh what a whiney bitch maybe its for a good reason but still...

Some of the dialog is pretty terrible but I just take that with a pinch of salt - I think silly bits are more noticeable in these new rpgs because are are voice acted and the graphics are now showing silly expressions and poses etc.

The graphics are stunning and a pleasure to watch.

Im really looking forward to hunting missions and if they game only gets a better as the hours past this is going to turn out a really enjoyable exprience for me.

Im so glad the negative comments/reviews didnt put me off.

Cant wait to get home ^_^

-Winnie-

Help?

For some reason I didn't seem to get the trophy "Instrument of Tragedy
Strode into danger's den and paid the consequences.
". I'm guessing you get this after
everybody becomes a l'Cie
, but didn't get anything. :(
Right now I'm up to the part
after the plane crashed and Lightning is with Hope and Sazh is with Vanille, still very early on in the game.

Am I wrong, or did the game bork and not give me my trophy? D:

Mandoric

Banned
u_neek said:
I assume the 96 million include spin-offs?

Agreed. I'm loving the backlash of the backlash after the Western release.

I'm 8 hours in atm and must admit that I DO miss pit-stops in between the dungeon crawling. The game does so many other things right that you kinda forget it though.

Extremely rough shipment numbers:
1, 2: Under 1m each for Japan; FF Legend/Makaitoushi SaGa was Square's first million seller, and it came out after both
3: around 1.5m
4: Around 1.5m, overseas ???
5: Around 2.5m
6: Around 2.5m, overseas <1m
7: Around 3.25m, overseas ??? (1m within a month of US launch, absurd numbers like 10m ww lifetime are bandied about but don't have decent sources)
8: Around 3.75m, overseas 4.25m
9: Around 2.75m, 2.25m overseas
10: Around 2.5m, 5m overseas
11: ??? (peak concurrent subscriptions .75m ww)
12: Around 2.25m, NA 1.75m, EU 1m
13: 2m, NA ??? (1.5? 2?), EU ??? (1.5? 1?)

FF has notably better legs in the west than Japan, but if the shortage rumors are anything to go by it appears that 13 will outdo 12. Key will probably be reception in Europe, where the series is traditionally weaker--this is probably part of why Europe got an LE while the US and Japan didn't.

Edit: Really funny to note, looking at the list, that the more wacky jappy any given FF game is the better it sells in the US in comparison to Japan.

kinggroin

Banned
Three hours in:

1) Hated the battle system at first. Now, I'm finding it to be quite enjoyable. Still wish I had the ability to swap character control for better strategy (maybe later?).

2) Music is mixed. I LOVE the battle theme, but the rest of the games soundtrack isn't very memorable (even if it is fitting for the areas they're played in).

3) Digging the characters for the most part. Snow is pussy whipped (so I can relate), Lightning is a bitch (though for good reason), Sazh (or however you spell it) is really cool and down to earth. Thank God he isnt a typical black dude stereotype. Vanille and Hope are just there right now. Can't stand the aussie accent on V, though her running animation is hilarious.

4) Visuals are top notch (even if the main characters are bit poly starved on their limbs and joints) with great texture work, lighting and art style. Only MGS4, GoW3 and Uncharted 2 beat this when it comes to character modeling (not talking about the enemies and environments).

Overall, I'm a happy gamer, and can see myself only becoming more happy as the gameplay and story begin to open up!

Empty

If i level up let's say Synergist in the crystalarium and get a +4 strength, does that bonus only work if you use that class, or will i be stronger even if i'm fighting as a Ravager?

Mandoric said:
Key will probably be reception in Europe, where the series is traditionally weaker--this is probably part of why Europe got an LE while the US and Japan didn't.

Huh? I always thought the series does better in Europe than in the US, most S-E games do actually. That is why we got the LE of the game.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
The Odin fight wasn't too bad. Once I realised the gimmick on my third try, it was just a matter of staying sharp.

Empty said:
If i level up let's say Synergist in the crystalarium and get a +4 strength, does that bonus only work if you use that class, or will i be stronger even if i'm fighting as a Ravager?
It's a permanent bonus. The abilities (note: not techs) are class specific, though.

Peff

Empty said:

Passive bonuses like those (HP, attack and magic) are unrelated to the class, yeah, so even if one of your characters is only using the same role for every formation it's convenient to level up the others according to what you want. Abilities like Fire, Thunder and such can only be used by the class that gets them.

EDIT: Beaten!

Aspiring

This will be my first Final Fantasy since FF7 (not including FF:CC on the GCN) which i loved. Hopefully this is just as good. Shame i have it sitting in front of me but will not be able to touch it until the weekend.

BluWacky

DigitalDevil said:
I agree with Bubbly, but so far the only thing annoying me about her is her running animation. Her weapon is sweet!

Her weapon makes me laugh so much.

(spoilers for chapter 2)

She finds a toothpick with killer tennis balls attached hidden behind a pillar inside the Vestige; a few seconds later, Hope magically produces an enormous lethal boomerang from some unseen place in his shorts! The game is filled with silly things but rather than pissing me off they just make me smile.

So what exactly happens when I level a role up and why isn't the game telling me what happens? Is it just the role specific abilities (like damage bonus for the Commando) that get a boost or what?

hirokazu

I'm glad a lot of people are enjoying it now that they've had a chance to play it themselves. It's the longest time I've spent on a game in a long time and even if I'd agree with most complaints about the game, I still enjoyed it immensely almost the whole way through.

hirokazu

-Winnie- said:
Help?

For some reason I didn't seem to get the trophy "Instrument of Tragedy
Strode into danger's den and paid the consequences.
". I'm guessing you get this after
everybody becomes a l'Cie
, but didn't get anything. :(
Right now I'm up to the part
after the plane crashed and Lightning is with Hope and Sazh is with Vanille, still very early on in the game.

Am I wrong, or did the game bork and not give me my trophy? D:
Save and check what chapter you're on. You should get one trophy per chapter except toward the end of the game. Some chapters only end after a bunch of cutscenes. You usually get a prompt to save you progress so far at the end of each chapter, IIRC.

If you don't seem to have all the trophies, maybe the game bugged out. Maybe play a bit further and if you still don't get it, try exit to XMB then loading your save before the end of the chapter.

Probably unrelated, by there was apparently a bug in the Japanese version concerning installing the unlockable XMB themes and gaining further trophies within the same session.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Sazh (or however you spell it) is really cool and down to earth. Thank God he isnt a typical black dude stereotype.
Heh, yeah, he's actually my favorite character at this point. Outside of the Chocobo in his fro, he is definitely the most down to earth character in the game and seems to act more like someone in his situation. I also love his voice work (much better than the Japanese voice).

FFX is Elder Scrolls: Oblivion compared to FF13 so far. i mean i read about it but i'm still amazed how the whole game so far has been a tunnel. in fact it's a tunnel in a tunnel, they don't even let you walk to the edges of the visible tunnel. stupid invisible walls everywhere. i keep longing for a nice town to run around in, even though i know i'm never gonna get one.
I dunno, most of FFX seemed just as linear to me. You were still stuck on small paths across various landscapes. If anything, the free camera in XIII allows the environments to feel much larger and less constricted. I suppose the inclusion of small towns in FFX allowed it to feel a bit more open, but the majority of the time spent playing the game as just as linear as XIII.

hirokazu

slaughterking said:
So what exactly happens when I level a role up and why isn't the game telling me what happens? Is it just the role specific abilities (like damage bonus for the Commando) that get a boost or what?
Yeah, it doesn't really do anything else.

Mandoric

Banned
Castor Krieg said:
Huh? I always thought the series does better in Europe than in the US, most S-E games do actually. That is why we got the LE of the game.

FF12 is our latest indicator, and we know... actually more like 2.5m Japan shipped, 2.25 is rough launch window sales. 1.5m shipped for release date in US according to official press release, and total ww shipments 5.2m according to SE's FY ending 03/2007 annual report. That makes at most 1.2m left for Europe, even assuming that Japan and the US each only saw one shipment.

If LEs went to the territory most likely to buy rather than least, then Japan would've gotten at least one sometime in the past 23 years. They haven't. Now, it -has- been the growth market, coming from an afterthought even in the PS days to the core market of their big western acquisition this gen. But it's growth because it has the population of the US and Japan combined and they'd really like to to start selling 2m Japan, 3m US, 5m Europe, not because they already are.

-Winnie-

hirokazu said:
Save and check what chapter you're on. You should get one trophy per chapter except toward the end of the game. Some chapters only end after a bunch of cutscenes. You usually get a prompt to save you progress so far at the end of each chapter, IIRC.

If you don't seem to have all the trophies, maybe the game bugged out. Maybe play a bit further and if you still don't get it, try exit to XMB then loading your save before the end of the chapter.

I can't check right now, but I'm still near the beginning of the game and I last saved soon after
Snow gets Shiva

The reason I ask is... on the trophy list, I have 2 chapter trophies in a row then a blank spot, and then the next chapter trophy. :/
According to a trophy list I found, that "Instrument of Tragedy" should be there.

If the game really did bug out, should I be able to get the trophy if I started a new game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom