• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Gamer @ Heart said:
I heard. : (

Can you tell me more about the endgame? After the final boss, where does it put you back? Theres no limit on how many times you can replay a crystal mission right?

Crystal missions are replayable as much as you want, which can be useful. You probably won't be able to finish anything above a Rank B before beating the last boss, but some of them are definitely fun to try (and there's no penalty for failing).

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
thetrin said:
If you mean too fast, I might agree with you. I don't know how FFXIII could be any faster to start out.

While the plot certainly moves fast, the setup of the dungeons/corridors makes it feel drawn-out. I think this is because you implicitly know you are shooting for a cutscene at the end of the hall.

I know I'm not making much sense right now. I blame it being past my bedtime.

hirokazu

Gamer @ Heart said:
But in the sphere grid, you had choice which directions to head to maximize how you wanted to customize your characters. There is none if that here except choosing which class to do it in, but it doesnt change much as they seem easy to max out so far.
Basically, one role in the Crystarium is one branching path, with a few minor branches within it.

It's pretty easy to max out at the start, but the opens up later as your choices expand.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I got the game. I think I got the Asian version since it has no ESRB logo. :p

Currently in chapter 1, seems alright so far.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Seems like most of the lines that appeared in the few English trailers have been re-recorded.

Such as when Lightning says "Yeah, right in there.", or when Vanille says "we got em??"

Firestorm

Did Square Enix undership this? A few of my friends are complaining that they couldn't find the PS3 version anywhere. All sold out.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
If I never hear the word "linear" again it will be too soon.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Firestorm said:
Did Square Enix undership this? A few of my friends are complaining that they couldn't find the PS3 version anywhere. All sold out.

I've been also wondering, is the 360 version sold out too?

Delio

You know it's sad that i dread going back to Vanille/Sahz stuff. There combat just seems to drag even once you get Commando for Sahz. Ah well i'm still enjoying it i just dread playing those two :/.

Widge

thetrin said:
You can still do that at the end of FFXIII, but it's not as well thought out as FFX. You eventually unlock all classes for all characters, but the cost of investing in those new classes is much much too high.

That sounds good, I like the characters to have defined roles rather than the jack of all trades that some of the previous games had. FF9 had it bang on.

I just did the opening, onto the next section which appears not to be consist of one straight path ... considering asking for a refund.

Definite FFX vibes here, which isn't a bad thing really in my book.

Kruhex

Kinda sad...I'm really in the middle with this game after 10 hours. I don't love it or hate it...it's just there. I wish you could also pause in-between switching the paradigm.

To be honest, I actually like Lost Odyssey a ton more than what I've experienced thus far, even with Cooke and Mack.

Suzzopher

I am loving this. I was very sceptical going into this after a few bad reviews, but my god, this game is fun as hell. I love the English voice acting too. Can't wait to get back to this tonight.

Himuro said:
What are you talking about?

This is the sphere grid, 90% of FF10.

FFXSphere_Grid.jpg

Notice how that is all basically one path?

Thing with the sphere grid is at the moment it does feel like it was more complex/ challenging to get the max stats through it.

There was the collecting the different types of spheres, getting the different levels of sphere's, getting the clear spheres and deleting all the small bonuses and replacing them with the better one's, I felt pretty happy with my self when I deleted all of the sphere grid and replaced it all to get max stats.

The crystal system has none of this from what I have seen, instantly makes it 100 times simpler and feels like there's no strategy to it other than just ignoring certain abilities and pumping the points into stat boosts, seriosuly does it get any better?

Okay, i'm really trying to like it but honestly am struggling. Too automated, too much going on at once are my main gripes. It's like i'm changing costumes rather than fighting baddies. I'm about 10 hours in and i'm gonna stick with it and give it a fair crack but i don't think it will get much better for me. I wasn't a massive fan of 12 but i prefer that over this, at least i felt like had more sway over my characters.

Oh, and btw, the above is MY opinion, not fact. I'm glad so many of y'all are loving it. I wish i was too.

Arzehn

Anyone else feel like magic damage is pretty shitty near the end of disc 2/start of disc 3? Seems like Ravenger just sucks in terms of damage to Commander, and yet I need it for chains. :mad: Doing sub 200 dmg with magic(vs normal) when my Lightning(character) can do 1200(vs normal) with "Attack" is annoying and sad. This is with Strength = Magic in stats.

Shouta

Anomarad said:
Anyone else feel like magic damage is pretty shitty near the end of disc 2/start of disc 3? Seems like Ravenger just sucks in terms of damage to commander, and yet I need it for chains. :mad: Doing sub 200 dmg with magic(vs normal) when my Lightning(character) can do 1200(vs normal) with "Attack" is annoying and sad. This is with Strength = Magic in stats.

Weapon.

Anomarad said:
Anyone else feel like magic damage is pretty shitty near the end of disc 2/start of disc 3? Seems like Ravenger just sucks in terms of damage to commander, and yet I need it for chains. :mad: Doing sub 200 dmg with magic(vs normal) when my Lightning(character) can do 1200(vs normal) with "Attack" is annoying and sad. This is with Strength = Magic in stats.

Either the enemy is resistant to magic or to element your Ravager is casting. Try to apply debuffs to trigger elemental weaknesses.

Le-mo

Anybody know where I can buy a copy of the Collector's Edition strategy guide online? I've been searching online on tons of sites but it's all sold out.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
kyo_daikun said:
Just refills your TP from what I have seen in the game so far.
I think it affects the drops you get. I vaguely recall the game saying you could get more items with high Battle Scores.

leng jai

Le-mo said:
Anybody know where I can buy a copy of the Collector's Edition strategy guide online? I've been searching online on tons of sites but it's all sold out.

I bought one from the Amazon UK marketplace yesterday.

soco

Ballistictiger said:
Only played it for about 2-3 hours but it's quite fun when you get the battle system.

when does it get more complex? i'm only about 60 to 90 minutes in. i'm guessing there's still more that has yet to be explained about the battle system, but so far it seems you generally just press X to attack and trigger chains. occasionally go to use an item, and if you want, you can use one of the abilities that hit multiple units in an area.

Zzoram

Kruhex said:
Kinda sad...I'm really in the middle with this game after 10 hours. I don't love it or hate it...it's just there. I wish you could also pause in-between switching the paradigm.

To be honest, I actually like Lost Odyssey a ton more than what I've experienced thus far, even with Cooke and Mack.

Vanille and Hope are basically Cooke and Mack, but with better clothes.

Shouta

Anomarad said:
Does the weapon have some sort of secret affect on magic besides stats? Because both Str and Magic are around 250(for the character).

Your weapon may have really shitty stats and maybe elemental resistance to a certain spell like someone said above.

soco said:
when does it get more complex? i'm only about 60 to 90 minutes in. i'm guessing there's still more that has yet to be explained about the battle system, but so far it seems you generally just press X to attack and trigger chains. occasionally go to use an item, and if you want, you can use one of the abilities that hit multiple units in an area.
When you get to finally level up it gets better.

Husker86

soco said:
Soon there will be more battle options, it gets much more complex than how it starts out; battles won't be boring.

The same store I bought it for €40 was charging €50 hours later...

2.5ish hours in, quite enjoying it. Obviously battles have been really simplistic so far, but it is quite a sight to behold.

Zzoram

I find a lot of the time, I just watch my party leader's HP bar while mashing X. When it gets below half, I'll paradigm shift to get my Medic, then shift back to Com/Rav/Rav and keep mashing X.

I hate how I can't even watch the battle and enjoy the animations because the health bar is so thin and hard to see that I have to stare at it to make sure I don't accidentally die. Also, because the TP bar is laying against the HP bar sometimes I mistake it for my HP while doing a quick glance.

Le-mo

Castor Krieg said:
Many sellers on UK Marketplace ship to US. There are other countries out there, you know...
How would the transactions work, though? I can just use my credit card and make a purchase then get it ship over here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom