• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII PC |OT| Lightning must not be forgotten

Don't get it... the battles seemed to be locked at 30fps... The FMVs seem to skip/stutter... outside of battle the game plays at a beautiful 60fps. It's not vsync (though I have triple buffering on, so it shouldn't default down to 30 anyways). As soon as I get this figured out I'll start posting those 60fps videos I promised this morning.

MayMay

Banned
292120_2014-10-09_000prx01.jpg

292120_2014-10-09_000hhael.jpg

Oh my god - do you have a donation page? lol This is glorious.

Nerokis

so uh

we went from a brief moment of pure hope and excitement that this would be a great port, to it being released and realizing it was a mixed bag (cutscenes are from 360 version, some setting results in FPS drops, issues with crashing, and locked in 720p; on the other hand, 60fps is great when it works, AA options are good, dual-audio, etc.?), to Durante swooping in from the heavens and giving everyone hope and excitement again?

Sounds like this thread has gone through quite the roller coaster ride, and I haven't had time to keep up with it. Is it safe to say this is currently the best way to experience the game overall, and that by the time Durante is finished, it'll also be the port everyone thought we'd get during those, like, 36 hours of incredible hope?

Eyothrie

Don't get it... the battles seemed to be locked at 30fps... The FMVs seem to skip/stutter... outside of battle the game plays at a beautiful 60fps. It's not vsync (though I have triple buffering on, so it shouldn't default down to 30 anyways). As soon as I get this figured out I'll start posting those 60fps videos I promised this morning.

Battles are locked at 60fps, but there are random fps drops

Nethaniah

Sounds like this thread has gone through quite the roller coaster ride, and I haven't had time to keep up with it. Is it safe to say this is currently the best way to experience the game overall, and that by the time Durante is finished, it'll also be the port everyone thought we'd get during those, like, 36 hours of incredible hope?

Yes.

Hope Yoshi's okay.

Eyothrie

They are not locked at 60... if they were locked at 60, I'd be getting 60. They are locked at 30 on my machine. Not 29, not 31, and certainly not 60.

I'm getting 60fps

The game doesn't really stress out GPUs... so some of them run at power saving settings. That's why I can't get more than 30FPS on battles with my R9 290, the GPU is at 20% usage...

Durante

By the way, tons of you (and that includes you, lurkers!) writing to me on Steam does not make stuff go faster. I'm preparing the pre-alpha release right now.

Levyne

Banned
The game doesn't really stress out GPUs... so some of them run at power saving settings. That's why I can't get more than 30FPS on battles with my R9 290, the GPU is at 20% usage...

Why is my performance such shit on a gtx 680?

Make sure to set the gpu power mode to prefer maximum performance.

This only seemed to affect one person so far I think, but also In control panel set power options set to High performance if the cpu is not clocking properly either.

Frumix

Suffering From Success

What you're saying is that the port is... almost too good?

Make sure to set the gpu power mode to prefer maximum performance.

This only seemed to affect one person so far I think, but also In control panel set power options set to High performance if the cpu is not clocking properly either.

How do you change that ?

What you're saying is that the port is... almost too good?

More like because it's 720p, it's not stressing anything. I tried to downclock my R9 290 to 500mhz... still not getting 100% usage, not even once.

robotrock

Banned
Wait, I just selected controller icons from the main menu? I thought it was keyboard icons only!

edit: nvm game still shows keyboard icons lmao

strafer

So this is the game that started the Lightning hate?

Should probably open up my sealed PS3 copy and play it.

Or PC.

What do you think?

Setting the GPU to prefer maximum performance helps, but I still get frequent brief drops in performance whenever there's something slightly non-trivial happening on screen, despite neither the CPU nor GPU breaking a sweat.

Top Bottom