• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT| World Full. Try again later. Please Understand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teknoman

Angry rant coming, be warned.

I'm 41 now (2/3 through the level) and stuck near Dragonhead farming FATEs. I'm kind of bitter this is really my only option left for levelling besides grinding. I've done my hunting log up to about 46. I have some levequests allocations left, but I want/need to save them for crafting. I have 0 quests left in my level range, my next main storyline quest requires level 42.

I don't like FATE farming. It's not fun. I'd much rather be doing quests. Why don't the later zones have enough quests to get me through to the next level? So many MMOs do this, it's really disappointing to see it's -still- the case. Please SE, fucking fill your zones out with quests so that people don't have to scrape by on automatically generated content just to level up.

Before people accuse me of playing incorrectly, fuck off. I do FATEs when they're convenient and not too far out of the way. I have kept up on Guildhests and actually have ground a few times on Guildleves for seals.

Are there no quests in another towns or camps before Coerthas that might lead you to that area / have you covered as much of the map as possible?

Moaradin

I'm 41 now (2/3 through the level) and stuck near Dragonhead farming FATEs. I'm kind of bitter this is really my only option left for levelling besides grinding. I've done my hunting log up to about 46. I have some levequests allocations left, but I want/need to save them for crafting. I have 0 quests left in my level range, my next main storyline quest requires level 42.

I don't like FATE farming. It's not fun. I'd much rather be doing quests. Why don't the later zones have enough quests to get me through to the next level? So many MMOs do this, it's really disappointing to see it's -still- the case. Please SE, fucking fill your zones out with quests so that people don't have to scrape by on automatically generated content just to level up.

Before people accuse me of playing incorrectly, fuck off. I do FATEs when they're convenient and not too far out of the way. I have kept up on Guildhests and actually have ground a few times on Guildleves for seals.

A lot of quest in this game open up in previous areas at certain levels. I can't speak for 40+, but I'm level 36 now and I've had more quest than I need. I've actually been ahead of the main quest the entire time.

Lain

What about dungeon runs? I'm only 32, but I've been doing dungeons a lot.

Teknoman

So quick question about the game/game'sUI.

What is the "right" level to start developing another class. I'm a level 12 lancer at the moment adn just got the ability to open the other classes. So should I jump into any other class? Or leave it for later after I max out the lancer?

Also what are this games version of instances? How do I access the queues or do I have to be a certain level?

Also what did that 6mb patch do yesterday? I thought it could help with login and add a queue maybe, but yesterday was the first day I could even log in once and I spent 30 min on two occasion and no luck.

Just keep doing Scenario quests and you'll get lead right into the first 3 beginner dungeons. There really is no right time to start leveling another class...unless you hit 30 on Lancer, and want to progress into a Dragoon. Then you should go ahead and start leveling Marauder (?)

KuroNeeko

Awesome.

Made my character, choose my server, and hit enter. Was greeted with over 10 minutes of loading so exited out of the client and restarted FFXIV.

Now, the client won't let me log in at all. It keeps telling me that I don't have a valid Square-Enix account even though I can log on through the website.

NeOak

Do you have much better luck getting onto your current server? I have no problem starting a new character if it means I can play whenever I actually have the time instead of only past 11 pm PST.

Lamia? Queue has never been higher than 4 during prime time. Whereas Ultros, I get 1017 and not even a queue.

Maaseru

Banned
So how exactly do I join an instance queue? Do I do it of the menu? I'm still at level 12, but will get there pretty soon.

Also how do combos exactly work? I know, as a lancer, sometimes when a do an attack dotted lines will appear inside another's brder and starts flashing. I can sometimes do more damage if I do a certain attack before.

Any tips/pointers on where to take the lancer class? I'm level 12 at the moment so I guess I'm still early on. They mentioned getting marauder up to 15 before reaching level 30 so I can get dragoon.

Just keep doing Scenario quests and you'll get lead right into the first 3 beginner dungeons. There really is no right time to start leveling another class...unless you hit 30 on Lancer, and want to progress into a Dragoon. Then you should go ahead and start leveling Marauder (?)

Marauder (15), yeah. The class guild is at Limsa Lominsa.

Riposte

This is Blaetrot. Got booted by a 9000 or w/e and now it is telling me I'm still logged on. Hurry to see if I can get back on! sure hope so!

EDIT: If someone could relay this message to the FC on Sargatanas, that would be swell.

Zomba13

This is Blaetrot. Got booted by a 9000 or w/e and now it is telling me I'm still logged on. Hurry to see if I can get back on! sure hope so!

EDIT: If someone could relay this message to the FC on Sargatanas, that would be swell.

It's still showing you in the dungeon with us :(

Baliis

Lamia? Queue has never been higher than 4 during prime time. Whereas Ultros, I get 1017 and not even a queue.

I'm on Lamia as well, never had a single issue. Last two nights I just sat down, logged in, started playing without any problems. So glad I didn't try to play on Ultros, though I did manage to make a character there that I haven't touched.

Zomba13

Do I look AFK or something? weird. Yeah, this seems to be an issue. I guess you can't even kick me either. This sucks, I'm real sorry.

Just standing there with the DC symbol. Have you tried re-launching the launcher?
edit: nvm you just vanished

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

My main is on lamia after being shut out of ultros, but last night around prime time pacific, all servers were completely full and even just creating a new character anywhere was nigh impossible.

This game may be a ghost own in a few weeks once gta hits tho and casuals have gotten their fill from the free month.

I actually am really worried that people are hitting level cap within a day or two and witnessing the story content fully. I mean damn is this an mmo or a 30 hour jrpg?

Riposte

Just standing there with the DC symbol. Have you tried re-launching the launcher?
edit: nvm you just vanished

I logged onto a character on another server. Maybe that fixed it. However... world is full. See if you can replace me with duty finder or something... sorry.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.

You do realize if you burn through all your quests on your main, guess what you will have to do to level any other class?... FATE's

Your suppose to do Main Quests, with 1 or 2 side quests if you really need the XP boost, leave the others unlocked for your next class, when you get to your next class once again use them as helpful push not a XP off quests only

Then you have the hunting log that throws chinks of XP @ you
Then you have GC Hunting Log which gives you XP + Seals and it helps unlock dungeons

Yes Dungeons give you mega XP, I just did the level 46 one last nite, every mob was 900-1100+ per drop
Each Boss was 5500+
Eat Food +3% XP, Have FC XP Bonus another +5% XP, if you rested for a few hours, you have that compound on that

Seriously, there's so many fucking ways to XP, it's HILARIOUS!

FATEs are the best course due to the XP + Seals
I took my Ranger from 9 to 15 in 1.5 hour by playing smart

I would kill mobs near where 2-3 FAte's will pop, so I would grind mobs for XP like norrnal, FATE pops, it gives me a nice chunk on top of that when it finishes

If you really want move to Mor Dhona or North Thanlaan and try there
FATE's are essential to the grind, it's just a give and take
It's better to be in a party than be solo and get bupkus

You are playing it incorrectly thinking a MMO will fit to your needs, you have to adjust to it
Most on GAF here grind FATEs daily, so always ask in FC, or just go to the area and /shout, you will get added to a random party

Also all areas have a fuck ton of quests, but they just don't activate just because you rolled through
There is a quest tree and shit branches off, sometimes doing a lot of Outer Noscea quests, unlock Thanlaan quests, which in turn unlock Coerthas which in turn unlock Gridania...
They won't just come up, you have to finish off most side quests and have earned some dungeon wins which free up the markers to give you the next chain

Jesus I wrote too much
Sorry for Wall O' Text

Venfayth

Are there no quests in another towns or camps before Coerthas that might lead you to that area / have you covered as much of the map as possible?

Pretty sure I have. When the "recommended" window pops up when I sign in, it's pretty damn barren. There are no actual quests listed there. I could explore some more though, couldn't hurt.

A lot of quest in this game open up in previous areas at certain levels. I can't speak for 40+, but I'm level 36 now and I've had more quest than I need. I've actually been ahead of the main quest the entire time.

I was ahead of the main quest for the entire game until level 37, at which point I had to start going out of my way to keep up.

What about dungeon runs? I'm only 32, but I've been doing dungeons a lot.

I've done a few, but almost only as a part of the main questline.

And for the record I'm DRG. If anyone carez.

You do realize if you burn through all your quests on your main, guess what you will have to do to level any other class?... FATE's

Great, guess I'll just quit now, thanks for the post.

daveo42

Banned
My main is on lamia after being shut out of ultros, but last night around prime time pacific, all servers were completely full and even just creating a new character anywhere was nigh impossible.

This game may be a ghost own in a few weeks once gta hits tho and casuals have gotten their fill from the free month.

I actually am really worried that people are hitting level cap within a day or two and witnessing the story content fully. I mean damn is this an mmo or a 30 hour jrpg?

There seems to be a lot of stuff to do after hitting cap with a class and clearing the story. Other jobs to run, hard mode dungeons, boss FATEs, minion hunting, and gathering/crafting classes. There's going to be new content coming in a few months as well to keep people busy going forward too, with stuff being added every 3 months. I hardly think this game will be a ghost town, though it'll definitely shave off players after the free month is up.

NeOak

I'm on Lamia as well, never had a single issue. Last two nights I just sat down, logged in, started playing without any problems. So glad I didn't try to play on Ultros, though I did manage to make a character there that I haven't touched.

Time to create a link shell on Lamia then. I'll do that later during the night.

My friend is 25 so I think we can make a FC too.

Mugaaz

I've seen a couple people post this, and I honestly don't know what theyre doing. This has not been my experience at all.

I do every quest I see. I followed main story, doing all side quests, my class quests. During random teleporting around Ill do quests from other hubs I find. I did every dungeon once, I did every guildhest once, I did my hunting logs. When I am doing quests, i will do FATES that popup if they are within distance. I am now 45.5, and I am ahead of the main story in levels by +4. So I just don't understand the situation you are describing. Either you didn't do all the side quests, you missed optional hubs, you haven't done dungeons/guildhest, or you actively avoid FATEs. I don't know what else to say.

P.S. As to to the guy saying dungeons are good exp. No, they are most definitely not. They are some of the worst exp in the entire game. They are REALLY good if youre leveling your alternate class and can stack that bonus with chains. On your primary class with no chains they are absolutely abysmal compared to doing anything else.

So is Lightning in this game? I remember reading about costumes and such based on her and Snow. Are they currently in the game or is that future stuff?

letterboxart

Neo Member

If you want to look for quests in your level range, maps with level ranges for each area here:
http://home.comcast.net/~nakomaru/ffmaps/
It's pretty easy to miss areas because they're so spread out.

Or queue up for a dungeon and level crafting in the meantime. It's really nice that you can do everything on one character.

I do think that FATEs are way too efficient for everything (including leveling) and will probably be nerfed.

Teknoman

Well regardless of content, every MMO has people that just straight race to cap and main quest completion early on if possible.

Honestly thats one thing I sorta liked about XI. They would introduce new story quests after patches. It might been a drag for those that were quick at leveling, but at least people werent blitzing through the story.

Then again, I dunno if the main scenario of current ARR is "complete" at the moment. I havent heard or seen any potential first final boss screens or conversations.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.

Good let the trash leave
The only reason some are getting high up there is to be ahead of the curve, why get mashed with everyone else, be in front, by the time the pack catches up, you either are on second class or are working on your crafting
Higher class means now you have access to high level areas, more places to farm items, buy things, learn the layout

I'm leveling cause I enjoy XP'ing, game hasn't been a burden on me, hell I'm so overleveled it's hilarious
I'm 46.5 with Main quest line @27, I can breeze through shit now, cause I already done the exploring and have all areas unlocked, so not much downtime to get to next part in the quest

There is many ways to play this, my way is just one way to achieve stuff, maybe your style is different from mine, but sooner or later our paths do cross through something

Mugaaz

The only reason FATEs should be nerfed is because having one clear best option for leveling makes the game way less fun for everybody. Not because the exp is "too good". The problem is that its out of whack with everything else.

Venfayth

I do every quest I see. I followed main story, doing all side quests, my class quests. During random teleporting around Ill do quests from other hubs I find. I did every dungeon once, I did every guildhest once, I did my hunting logs. When I am doing quests, i will do FATES that popup if they are within distance. I am now 45.5, and I am ahead of the main story in levels by +4. So I just don't understand the situation you are describing. Either you didn't do all the side quests, you missed optional hubs, you haven't done dungeons/guildhest, or you actively avoid FATEs. I don't know what else to say.

This is exactly how I play. As I said before I was ahead of the curve until level 37, that was the first time I caught up and ran out of stuff to do. When FATEs are nearby (aka I don't think they'll expire before I get to them) I go to them. I guess I may have missed optional quest hubs, but I have no idea where they'd be. I would check every quest I pass to see what level they were, the only quests I skipped were -significantly- below my level.

we need to set up a spreadsheet for crafting/gathering. I'm starting to hit a wall with cooking and armorer now that I'm around lv15. there are one or two items that are only made from other crafting professions and impossible to find on the Marketplace because the economy isn't there yet.

daveo42

Banned
Good let the trash leave
The only reason some are getting high up there is to be ahead of the curve, why get mashed with everyone else, be in front, by the time the pack catches up, you either are on second class or are working on your crafting
Higher class means now you have access to high level areas, more places to farm items, buy things, learn the layout

I'm leveling cause I enjoy XP'ing, game hasn't been a burden on me, hell I'm so overleveled it's hilarious
I'm 46.5 with Main quest line @27, I can breeze through shit now, cause I already done the exploring and have all areas unlocked, so not much downtime to get to next part in the quest

There is many ways to play this, my way is just one way to achieve stuff, maybe your style is different from mine, but sooner or later our paths do cross through something

Are you going to sidequest for gear with other jobs or will you FATE all of them to cap? I might run quests up on my 2nd/3rd jobs for gear and to clear them out and add in FATEs to assist in leveling faster than through just questing alone.

FATEs are a blast though and I hope they don't nerf them in any way.

Anteater

Where do you unlock pld skills? The gladiator guild hasn't gotten any quests for me since lvl30, I'm lvl40 right now.

Right now a large group closing in on full party is the best for farming. You get a bump in xp from being in a group and access to limit breaks which can help big against boss FATEs. You also don't have to worry about doing a ton of damage yourself while in a FATE since you'll get some credit for the actions of your party. You still need to do some stuff (healing, damage) to get gold, but not nearly as much as you do if you run them solo.

If you do go solo, the best FATEs are the boss mobs because they have tons of hp and you can generally do enough to warrant gold.

hmm, I might just join a pick up group I guess.

Mugaaz

I would say you could run around old zones looking for quests, but that wouldnt be a good source of EXP for the time invested. If I was in your shoes, I'd have to assume it was because I missed quests hubs early on. If that was the case looking for them now is kind of a waste of time. So I guess I would grind FATEs in Coerthas and then Mor'dhona. When you get to 44 and can run Dhaerzold or however its spelled you can spam that to start accumulating tokens? Theres a metric asston of quests in Coerthas. Some are tied to main story progression, some are not. I think they start around lvl 36-38.

ZetaEpyon

I wish that I'd chosen Gridania as my starting city instead of Limsa - was afraid that I'd be locked out from changing jobs until I got far enough in the story, so I just picked my existing main (Marauder). Not that I really dislike Limsa itself that much, I just like the Gridania characters more.

At least I can still pick Twin Adder for GC, I suppose...

Also, didn't know about the lower-level exp bonus until today. I guess that explains why I've been able to outlevel my friends who are starting from scratch. Everything is a lower level for me, due to my level 50 legacy marauder...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom