• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT| World Full. Try again later. Please Understand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Animekatt

For everyone who is waiting for EA to open, if you have an Android or iOS smart device, why not take this time to secure your account against hacking by installing the Square-Enix Mobile Authenticator Software Token?

Android (Google Play): https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.square_enix_software_token
iOS (App Store): https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/square-enix-software-token/id617970570?mt=8

I'm still using my security token from the FFXI security scare back in '08. XD

You feel fantastic, because Gridania is the city-state to end all city-states.

For the Elder Seedseer.

For the Twin Adder.

For Gridania.

Amen.

EDarkness

Tanks were so uncommon that Yoshida posted a request for people to try tank classes.

What's sad is that two of the 4 melee classes are tanks. Ugh. I'll end up going lancer or pugilist, because I don't want to tank, even though I love swords and axes. <sigh> Really sucks.

Timeaisis

Hmmm...it seems my launcher only downloaded a 7.5 GB file. Wonder where the rest of the 20 GB is? I guess I'll probably have to download the rest saturday, then?

Quick question.

In beta 3 I got my original CE items but I didn't get them in beta 4, will they be in my mog mail when the game goes live then?

Xilium

For people that played in the Beta, what jobs were common and which weren't?

It was heavily skewed towards Arcanist during the beta simply cause that was the first time the class was available, so it's the new hotness.

Once the game starts proper, I'd imagine the de facto trinity classes will be the most popular: Gladiator/Paladin (tank), Conjurer/White Mage (healer), Lancer/Dragoon (damage dealer).

Least popular will likely be either Pugilist/Monk or Marauder/Warrior.

If Arcanist ever gets set as a healer instead of DD, then that should help nicely via the duty finder.

I don't think they make good healers to be honest. They don't get the MND passives that CNJ gets to help with healing potency, they don't have a group heal, they don't have a means to remove status effects, and they don't get resurrection till lvl 22. They really don't come into their healer role until you unlock the SCH job. That's not to say that some people could make it work but as far as the duty finder is concerned, I think it's a good thing that ACN can't choose a healer role.

EDarkness

Oh, I got a code after pre-ordering from Amazon, but I have no idea where to use it. I checked a website and it said I'd get an e-mail or something for when to register, however, I haven't received anything yet. Anyone know what we're supposed to do?

What I am wondering is, is there any benefit to have the paid for key chain one over the smartphone app?

Well, your phone is always with you but the keychain thing might not be. So if you're a person who loses their phone a lot, the keychain thing could work out better for you. However I have the original keychain thing from 1.0 CE and I've never figured out how to replace the battery on it, so if the battery ever dies on your keychain thing you can't login anymore until you've contacted support to remove it from your account.

Glad to hear that tanks are wanted. Tanking as a PLD in FF XI was my most memorable thing from the game. I remember moments of stress and drama, but also glory. The feeling you get knowing your actions were saving the lives of those around you felt great. Haven't tanked yet in FF XIV, but Saturday I plan on re-rolling a GLD in Ul'Dah. Arcanist ain't really doing it for me so far.

Abominuz

Banned
Will there be liek a barber shop or surgeon to change your character ?
As we only need one character for any job, i wanted to know.
My charaters look is a litlle magey right now, and i want a different look if she goes gladiator.

Quick question.

In beta 3 I got my original CE items but I didn't get them in beta 4, will they be in my mog mail when the game goes live then?

Strange. I got mine in 3 and 4.

They should be there. I don't know why they wouldn't. I don't even know who you would contact for that sort of thing.

Really?

I run with a static party, but from the shouts I saw, it looked like people were mostly hurting for tanks than anything else. Aren't there a literal ton of conjurers out there?

I'm a
(level 8)
Conjurer
(for Protect)
too!

:3

Most of the shouts I seen in the Sastasha area of La Noscea seemed like they were always looking for a healer. That plus I noticed most of the time in LS chat people were looking for healers.

Will there be liek a barber shop or surgeon to change your character ?
As we only need one character for any job, i wanted to know.
My charaters look is a litlle magey right now, and i want a different look if she goes gladiator.

Barbershop planned for a future patch.

Animekatt

What I am wondering is, is there any benefit to have the paid for key chain one over the smartphone app?

It's better to have the phone one now, since that's always with you anyway. I actually was going to switch over to the app, but I'm attached to this little thing now... It's been with me for a long time. XD

Teknoman

It was heavily skewed towards Arcanist during the beta simply cause that was the first time the class was available, so it's the new hotness.

Least popular will likely be either Pugilist/Monk or Marauder/Warrior.

I don't think they make good healers to be honest. They don't get the MND passives that CNJ gets to help with healing potency, they don't have a group heal, they don't have a means to remove status effects, and they don't get resurrection till lvl 22. They really don't come into their healer role until you unlock the SCH job. That's not to say that some people could make it work but as far as the duty finder is concerned, I think it's a good thing that ACN can't choose a healer role.

Well it would be nice to have another healer of some sort quickly (unless thats what Scholar counts as?) since once Musketeer hits, that'll be another DD.

So if I have previously registered FFXIV 1.x to my account, but I'm not Legacy...I can't preorder ARR and register it, which essentially bars me from early access?

I would have to make another account?

Xilium

Well it would be nice to have another healer of some sort quickly (unless thats what Scholar counts as?) since once Musketeer hits, that'll be another DD.

Scholar is considered a healing role and that's when the Arcanist gets most of it's heals/support as well as the fairy summons which are also capable of healing/providing support.

Abominuz

Banned
What seems like the most difficult job to play ?
What is the main reason no one is playing as a tank ?

When in phase 4, i saw a lot of gladiators, the one i didnt saw where marauders.
On wich page was the link with the servers teh gaffers are on.
In phase 4 i only reached lvl 14, so im thinking of starting over with another job.

Are legacy servers already full with high lvl characters ?
I have one character on a legacy server who is lvl2 lolz.

When in phase 4, i saw a lot of gladiators, the one i didnt saw where marauders.
In phase 4 i only reached lvl 14, so im thinking of starting over with another job.

I have a 40 MRD on legacy but I'm going to be going back to get bard so I'm starting from scratch.

Teknoman

So if I have previously registered FFXIV 1.x to my account, but I'm not Legacy...I can't preorder ARR and register it, which essentially bars me from early access?

I would have to make another account?

You can still preorder and register. I just registered a preorder code and got the mog hat, yet i'm still legacy.

Xilium

I'm by no means an expert on the game but I've been trying to read up as much as I can so I'll try to answer these.

Pugilist/Monk will likely be the most difficult class to play efficiently. They have a complex and versatile rotation that will likely be a turn off to a lot of people, especially at higher levels once all the different skills are unlocked. Marauder/Warrior would likely come next for the same reason but to a lesser extent.

Nobody plays tanks because people like seeing big numbers fly off enemies, they also tend to be slower to level solo, and they have a bigger role of responsibility in groups/dungeons and a lot of people don't like having that pressure. This is a common problem in MMOs.

Marauders aren't the traditional damage mitigation style tank (they are a self-healing, high HP type) so people naturally gravitate towards gladiator for tanking (they use a shield after all).

I think you might be referring to the player list. In general, the GAF servers are Durandal (Japanese Legacy), Ragnarok (European Legacy), Sargantanas (North American Legacy), and Ultros (North American Fresh Start).

Most legacy servers are full of people with multiple classes leveled to cap (50). Couldn't give you percentages, but there are a lot of max level people.

Shouta

So, for anyone that hasn't decided on a server or can't get on the currently listed GAF servers, we'll be having a LS on Excalibur (a Legacy Server). It's mostly made up of the old GAF FFXI guard including myself and a number of other folks. It's mostly for communicating and chilling more than anything though.

We'll probably have an FC setup but we'll probably just do casual stuff with it and not really aim for anything, at least for the time being. If anyone is interested just let me know.

Abominuz

Banned
I'm by no means an expert on the game but I've been trying to read up as much as I can so I'll try to answer these.

Pugilist/Monk will likely be the most difficult class to play efficiently. They have a complex and versatile rotation that will likely be a turn off to a lot of people, especially at higher levels once all the different skills are unlocked. Marauder/Warrior would likely come next for the same reason but to a lesser extent.

Nobody plays tanks because people like seeing big numbers fly off enemies, they also tend to be slower to level solo, and they have a bigger role of responsibility in groups/dungeons and a lot of people don't like having that pressure. This is a common problem in MMOs.

Marauders aren't the traditional damage mitigation style tank (they are a self-healing, high HP type) so people naturally gravitate towards gladiator for tanking (they use a shield after all).

I think you might be referring to the player list.

Most legacy servers are full of people with multiple classes leveled to cap (50). Couldn't give you percentages, but there are a lot of max level people.

I always play rogue characters in MMO's so the rotation is no problem.
Are Scholars and Bards viable in groups ? to me those seem like the most fun jobs to play.
And i love the Scholar AF.
It is a pain to be a day from early acces and still dont know what to play as, i know you can get any job, but the first job you commit to is probably the one you are going to stick with for a long time.

Cant some senior Gaffer make a poll with what jobs people will pick.

wrongway

Depends on who you ask, but the typical arguments for healer and tank rarity are:

- They're boring -- most people don't want to play low-damage classes, they want to blow shit up.
- Most people don't want the increased responsibility that tanks and healers carry.
- Specifically for healers, most people don't want to spend their game time staring at healthbars and playing whack-a-mole.

Then there's of course thematic and aesthetic preferences.

In the end though, it's nothing new. Tanks and healers are pretty much always the least-played.

Seiru

Banned
It asks you every time you login with your Square-Enix Account. There's no option like on Battle.net to "remember" you and not ask you every time. I've actually kept that option unchecked on Battle.net though as it completely compromises the security the Battle.net Mobile Authenticator provides.

Meh, that's unfortunate. I remember when the Blizzard authenticator didn't have that option, and it was such a hassle.

I'm not too worried about somebody breaking into my house to steal my WoW account, or taking complete control of my entire computer remotely, so this would be perfect for me.

I just realized an hour ago that I haven't redeemed my preorder code to get the early access code.

So now I'm waiting on this phantom email that supposedly contains my preorder code. How long should this take? This feels like a mess.

Edit: nvm. there it goes, and I am ready.

Abominuz

Banned
Depends on who you ask, but the typical arguments for healer and tank rarity are:

- They're boring -- most people don't want to play low-damage classes, they want to blow shit up.
- Most people don't want the increased responsibility that tanks and healers carry.
- Specifically for healers, most people don't want to spend their game time staring at healthbars and playing whack-a-mole.

Then there's of course thematic and aesthetic preferences.

In the end though, it's nothing new. Tanks and healers are pretty much always the least-played.

It is a pain when you have a class that you like, but here are so many of them that you have to wait an hour to find a party or to do a dungeon with.
This time i want to do it different, cause usually i always play melee dps classes.
This time i went with THM, i thought a range dps would switch things up.
Next thing you know i only see a shit load of range dps characters and im like here we go again.
It seems like an support class/healing like scholar or bard would be the best thing.

With bard you have range damage and support if im right and with scholar healer and support ???
The only thing is, i am worried that these classes are just not good enough and they stretch there specialties to much.
Can someone who played in all beta phases comment on this ?
Do people like to play with Bards and Scholars in groups ?

Seiru

Banned
It is a pain when you have a class that you like, but here are so many of them that you have to wait an hour to find a party or to do a dungeon with.
This time i want to do it different, cause usually i always play melee dps classes.
This time i went with THM, i thought a range dps would switch things up.
Next thing you know i only see a shit load of range dps characters and im like here we go again.
It seems like an support class/healing like scholar or bard would be the best thing.

With bard you have range damage and support if im right and with scholar healer and support ???
The only thing is, i am worried that these classes are just not good enough and they stretch there specialties to much.
Can someone who played in all beta phases comment on this ?
Do people like to play with Bards and Scholars ?

Jobs haven't been in the betas afaik.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom