• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT| World Full. Try again later. Please Understand

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure this has been asked a million times: but will new players be allowed to transfer over to a different server than the one they played during the beta?

Also, are legacy players tied to their legacy servers?

WolvenOne

Hmm, didn't realize there was such a Tank shortage during the previous beta. I'll have to do my best not to let anyone down when I tank. <_<;

Sakura

Is it easier to tank with a Gladiator or a Marauder? When I was playing Gladiator in Phase 3, the story quests all seemed to kind of introduce you to the idea of tanking, making you use your tank related skills. But I didn't even realise Marauder was a tanking class until I went into the dungeon finder during Phase 4, I just thought it was a DPS melee class the way it was presented. I tried tanking as Marauder but it seemed a little hard to hold aggro at times. I'm not sure if that is because other people in my party were putting DoTs on other mobs or what.

Xux

It is a pain when you have a class that you like, but here are so many of them that you have to wait an hour to find a party or to do a dungeon with.
This time i want to do it different, cause usually i always play melee dps classes.
This time i went with THM, i thought a range dps would switch things up.
Next thing you know i only see a shit load of range dps characters and im like here we go again.
It seems like an support class/healing like scholar or bard would be the best thing.

With bard you have range damage and support if im right and with scholar healer and support ???
The only thing is, i am worried that these classes are just not good enough and they stretch there specialties to much.
Can someone who played in all beta phases comment on this ?
Do people like to play with Bards and Scholars in groups ?
Bard is a damage dealer in the Duty Finder so it'll take just as long as THM, PGL, LNC, and ACN. You can queue up in the Duty Finder and switch to a crafting or gathering class to ease the wait.

SCH will have to no problem getting a party with the rarity that healers usually have.

chrono01

I just ordered a GTX 660 2GB video card [Overclocked] for this game. It should be a nice upgrade over my current GTS 250 1GB.

I do not upgrade my PC components too often, but I am sure A Realm Reborn will be worth it!

Xilium

I always play rogue characters in MMO's so the rotation is no problem.
Are Scholars and Bards viable in groups ? to me those seem like the most fun jobs to play.
And i love the Scholar AF.
It is a pain to be a day from early acces and still dont know what to play as, i know you can get any job, but the first job you commit to is probably the one you are going to stick with for a long time.

Cant some senior Gaffer make a poll with what jobs people will pick.

Can't really comment on Scholar since nobody's had a chance to play one yet but they'll be a healer class similar to the White Mage. Looks like their heals will double as support spells (they have a shield buff) and while weaker than White Mage heals, we don't know how big a role fairy heals will play.

Bards appear to be having their focus switched more heavily towards being a damage dealing class, just with some helpful MP and TP regen abilities for the party/raid. Should have no issue forming parties as one as their songs will be very useful to other classes.

I can probably run though the player list and figure out the class breakdown for GAF in a little while.

Edit:
A quick look at the player list shows that the most popular jobs on GAF will be White Mage and Dragoon.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Is it easier to tank with a Gladiator or a Marauder? When I was playing Gladiator in Phase 3, the story quests all seemed to kind of introduce you to the idea of tanking, making you use your tank related skills. But I didn't even realise Marauder was a tanking class until I went into the dungeon finder during Phase 4, I just thought it was a DPS melee class the way it was presented. I tried tanking as Marauder but it seemed a little hard to hold aggro at times. I'm not sure if that is because other people in my party were putting DoTs on other mobs or what.

You didn't realize MRD was a tank the second you acquired the second melee skill that granted enmity when comboed? =P

chris-013

Marauder is easy to play, you can keep aggro with the skill "overpower" ! Warrior will be more complex.

WolvenOne

You didn't realize MRD was a tank the second you acquired the second melee skill that granted enmity when comboed? =P

To be fair, the Gladiator Guild quests really drive it home that you're there to spare others from attacks, and force you to use Aggro skills in order to beat their quests.

Marauder Quests tend to emphasize the classes battle prowess, over its agro skills. It's helpful to know how to agro of course, but they don't pound it home nearly as well.

Sakura

I just figured most classes had skills that generate enmity. And I don't normally envision a class without a shield to be a tank class.

Teknoman

Yeah Marauder is more or less:

250px-Brock.png

A berserker tank.

Dunan

Same here; I thought the Marauder was a basic melee fighter. I don't think the game even taught you the concept of "enmity", and you need a full understanding of it to get past the level 15 story battle.

Kesagiri

I just ordered a GTX 660 2GB video card [Overclocked] for this game. It should be a nice upgrade over my current GTS 250 1GB.

I do not upgrade my PC components too often, but I am sure A Realm Reborn will be worth it!

My girlfriend got me the same exact GPU last month for this game. It works beautifully!

It was my first PC upgrade oddly enough. But now if I can ever tear myself away from ARR I have a bunch of PC games available to me now.

Xilium

My understanding is that Paladin is easier to play.

Anyway, should watch this video because Mr. Happy goes over the differences between the two.

chrono01

My girlfriend got me the same exact GPU last month for this game. It works beautifully!

It was my first PC upgrade oddly enough. But now if I can ever tear myself away from ARR I have a bunch a PC games available to me now.
That's great to hear. I can't wait for mine to arrive so I can test it out for myself!

Unfortunately, I'll probably be waiting longer for the actual game to be delivered than the video card the video card will probably arrive Monday/Tuesday of next week]. The Collector's Edition shipped via standard shipping from Digital River/Square-Enix earlier this week and, given that I'm situated in Canada, I'm guessing that it will take a bare minimum of 14 business days [more than likely even more than that] before it arrives. To be honest, I don't even have tracking for it, so if it arrives at all [in undamaged condition] I'll consider it a "win". -_-

If the next method of shipping wasn't $30+ I probably would have went with that, but I couldn't fathom spending an additional $20 more at the time. If I had the choice now, however, I'd gladly spend it. I want to play this game as soon as possible!

Fjord

Sigh, this registration process is a nightmare. I think I've got myself in a place where I have two options:
A) No SQUARE MEMBER rewards, beta progress lost, my spam email and login
B) Buy the game again or try to trade with someone with the opposite problem on release, potential billing issues

Basically I'm in NZ, signed up for beta as a Canadian to play with friends (didn't know if region was required for servers). Bought the game off greenmangaming with NZ address. Then took the code they gave me and put it on my NA beta account. It accepted and gave me a preorder code. After they got their website working I found out this was an EU code and I wasn't able to register it on an NA account. In my muddling about I thought I had two different square accounts because of their alias system, made a second account (thought I was creating a SQUARE membership not a square ID) and registered the EU preorder code, then realized they were different accounts. Talked to their support, they gave me an NA preorder early start code but when my next code comes from greenman on the 27th it'll be an EU game code. Some highlights and interesting things in the support:

Agent Thomas A: This code will be 20 digits.
Agent Thomas A: And it will be the code that you actually use to register the game.
You: so what was the first 20 digit code?
Agent Thomas A: The pre-order code that marks you for the items + early access.
You: and the 18 digit code?
Agent Thomas A: That code was mainly to get the 20 digit code.

Agent Thomas A: I cant change the region of an account.
Agent Thomas A: Its something that cannot be done.

You: so why does FFXIV show up under my games on NA account but not EU account?
Agent Thomas A: That's the MEMBERS site, honestly its mostly for game reg for year end rewards.
Agent Thomas A: Has nothing to do with playing FFXIV.
You: So you're saying my game is on EU account but my rewards will go to NA account now?
Agent Thomas A: You need to register multiple titles to receive year end rewards.
You: Oh I see, so its fairly meta, like owning multiple square games gets you Crysta or something?
Agent Thomas A: More like soundtracks and things like that.

They ended up giving me an NA early start code which I could use to get my money off beta characters, I guess that's something.

Abominuz

Banned
Can't really comment on Scholar since nobody's had a chance to play one yet but they'll be a healer class similar to the White Mage. Looks like their heals will double as support spells (they have a shield buff) and while weaker than White Mage heals, we don't know how big a role fairy heals will play.

Bards appear to be having their focus switched more heavily towards being a damage dealing class, just with some helpful MP and TP regen abilities for the party/raid. Should have no issue forming parties as one as their songs will be very useful to other classes.

I can probably run though the player list and figure out the class breakdown for GAF in a little while.

Edit:
A quick look at the player list shows that the most popular jobs on GAF will be White Mage and Dragoon.

I looked up some skills, it seems that Scholar has more heals that has additional effects like damage nullification.
And it seems the pets have usefull skil as increasing magic potency to 20%.
So they are like Healer/Support.

Amon-Lau

Lol, out of curiosity I went and registered my copy of FFXIII at the site and after a few minutes I got an email with the code for Asuran Armguards... xD

Now if they open adding the codes I might be able to get them...! :D

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Lol, out of curiosity I went and registered my copy of FFXIII at the site and after a few minutes I got an email with the code for Asuran Armguards... xD

Now if they open adding the codes I might be able to get them...! :D

I'm looking at an old code from FFXIII I never used. It's an older format though. XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX format and I can't find where to enter this.

Kesagiri

That's great to hear. I can't wait for mine to arrive so I can test it out for myself!

Unfortunately, I'll probably be waiting longer for the actual game to be delivered than the video card the video card will probably arrive Monday/Tuesday of next week]. The Collector's Edition shipped via standard shipping from Digital River/Square-Enix earlier this week and, given that I'm situated in Canada, I'm guessing that it will take a bare minimum of 14 business days [more than likely even more than that] before it arrives. To be honest, I don't even have tracking for it, so if it arrives at all [in undamaged condition] I'll consider it a "win". -_-

If the next method of shipping wasn't $30+ I probably would have went with that, but I couldn't fathom spending an additional $20 more at the time. If I had the choice now, however, I'd gladly spend it. I want to play this game as soon as possible!

Ouch, that sucks. Makes you wish there were other options for getting the PC CE.

Robin64

Aww yiss! Installed of both my PC and my PS3 now. Let the games begin!

...in 25 hours.

Square-Enix permitting.

Edit: Who do I gotta blow to get into an Ultros guild?

Rootbeer

Banned
wow the whole multiple characters on one account for one monthly price thing is going to convince a lot of people to check this out... informing some of my buddies

Napophis

wow the whole multiple characters on one account for one monthly price thing is going to convince a lot of people to check this out... informing some of my buddies

i thought it was 8 retail game codes per account but you'd still need to pay a sub for each one?

Amon-Lau

I'm looking at an old code from FFXIII I never used. It's an older format though. XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX format and I can't find where to enter this.

Hmm, the one I got on my email was a XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX code, as for where it would go is where they used to which is https://secure.square-enix.com where you log on and is under select service then you click Final Fantasy XIV which leads you a screen that says "Code registration currently unavailable."

I heard they were unlocking it perhaps after the game release or so I hope... :p

Too much RItsu on this page. Disgusting.

Also, I have to work on Saturday. It's going to be hell knowing I'm working while other people are playing, assuming the servers all work.

syoaran

Too much RItsu on this page. Disgusting.

Also, I have to work on Saturday. It's going to be hell knowing I'm working while other people are playing, assuming the servers all work.

That's a big IF, all things considered. I'm expecting the first week to be potentially frustrating.

I think I just convinced myself to roll Marauder, playing phase 4 as archer and I realized I wanted to be able to handle my own business. I think more FFXI vets should pick up tank jobs.

Ravidrath

The problem is that's a really terrible way to play this game, in actuality.

If it gets more people to check it out, great, I guess? But I honestly wouldn't recommend doing this.

Mendrox

I gave in and bought the game for 20€ from GMG.

Hyped about it and played Phase 4 for about 2 hours and really liked everything and even the controller support. The music is way too awesome and hyped me up. Playing on Ultros like you guys so I hope there is a chance to join you. I want to play Dragoon in the end.

I plan to run Scholar...XI taught me how valuable healers are and how much it sucks when you don't have a good healer.

I'll probably run a support/healing class after I get tired of Dragoon. Always wanted to be a support type in a huge game like this.

I gave in and bought the game for 20&#8364; from GMG.

Hyped about it and played Phase 4 for about 2 hours and really liked everything and even the controller support. The music is way too awesome and hyped me up. Playing on Ultros like you guys so I hope there is a chance to join you. I want to play Dragoon in the end.

A fellow Dragoon in Ultros? See ya there some time =D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom