• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.
A healer can't ever stay in any one place in that fight. The statues create LoS issues no matter where you are at one point or another, when people go out to get adds, or whatever. People just need to be adaptable.
And healers generally need to be further away from the boss on average than anybody else simply because people go out to take out the adds or drop bombs, and people will inevitably get out of range if the healer is sitting near the boss all the time.

Making me go to paint.

While I do prefer the method that I think you like the most, just because it makes the tank do more, this really seems like the easiest way to do him. Tail is only a bother with the fist add, but it will run after people soon enough. Entire group can just stack on the bosses flank and be safe with their only worry being who is set up the bomb.
ZDaNgUm.jpg

Baliis

A healer can't ever stay in any one place in that fight. The statues create LoS issues no matter where you are at one point or another, when people go out to get adds, or whatever. People just need to be adaptable.
And healers generally need to be further away from the boss on average than anybody else simply because people go out to take out the adds or drop bombs, and people will inevitably get out of range if the healer is sitting near the boss all the time.

I've never had an LoS issue using the set up theSlacker posted or range issues except when people move to drop the orb, but that's not really a concern. Maybe when they go to get the add? I've never noticed a problem healing anyways.

Aeana

Making me go to paint.

While I do prefer the method that I think you like the most, just because it makes the tank do more, this really seems like the easiest way to do him. Tail is only a bother with the fist add, but it will run after people soon enough. Entire group can just stack on the bosses flank and be safe with their only worry being who is set up the bomb.

No I understood what you meant. The thing is that people have to go pick up adds (unless you are suggesting you let the adds come and then do their AoE all over everybody including the tank?) and go drop off bombs anyway so the healer standing in the same place for the whole fight is bound to bring up some complications. Other than that, sure, that positioning looks fine to me. Sadly I have had a couple of instances where tanks who were trying to position the boss so they didn't have to move would still get hit by catastrophe because they didn't set it up right, and then that just makes my life harder, especially if they got hit by disease just before and I have to cure disease and heal them to full quickly before they're about to take the AoE. Meh.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
No I understood what you meant. The thing is that people have to go pick up adds (unless you are suggesting you let the adds come and then do their AoE all over everybody including the tank?) and go drop off bombs anyway so the healer standing in the same place for the whole fight is bound to bring up some complications. Other than that, sure, that positioning looks fine to me. Sadly I have had a couple of instances where tanks who were trying to position the boss so they didn't have to move would still get hit by catastrophe because they didn't set it up right, and then that just makes my life harder, especially if they got hit by disease just before and I have to cure disease and heal them to full quickly before they're about to take the AoE. Meh.

Nobody needs to pick up the ads, they will come to the party. If there is an AoE, people should move. But never run to pick up the ads. It just wastes DPS.

Anantaboga is such a weird fight because there are so many perfectly acceptable ways to position him as long as everyone is on the same page. I've had people tell me that one way of holding it is how it should be done when your tank is good at repositioning; others tell me that same positioning is the worst possible idea and will wipe the party every time.

As tank I don't give a shit, I can deal with holding him wherever; but it's annoying when I ask if anyone has a preference and they just shrug, then complain after a wipe that I'm not holding it in the right place.

For what it's worth, I think holding him on the left of the statue and facing the middle of the room is the most effective positioning, but holding him on the right of the statue and facing the wall also works fine as long as people don't go run over to the middle to grab the add.

Greenmangaming currently has a 25% off voucher for the game: GMG25-J2566-L2GHZ (expires the 11th)

I am very much thinking about getting this. I haven't played MMOs in quite a while and it seems like every new game I want in the upcoming months require more RAM than I have (4gb) and I am unable to upgrade to DDR3 and thus more ram.

Last MMO I tried was Rift and I got bored before leaving the tutorial... not sure if I will like 14 but my bro (who does play a lot of MMOs) seems to like it a lot.

Aeana

Nobody needs to pick up the ads, they will come to the party. If there is an AoE, people should move. But never run to pick up the ads. It just wastes DPS.

The add does a big circular AoE that they throw down. People can move out of it, but I thought we were talking about this setup being beneficial because the tank didn't have to move. I'd rather the tank didn't take unnecessary damage if they aren't super geared (I get the feeling that some of the perspectives on this are coming from people who regularly run with tanks who aren't in AF), because the timing of the big attack + disease can be pretty crappy sometimes.

Baliis

(I get the feeling that some of the perspectives on this are coming from people who regularly run with tanks who aren't in AF)

My experience with AK has been fairly lucky with lots of DL w/ Relic+1 geared tanks and DPS, so you're probably right. To be honest, I didn't even know the add had an AoE lol

Baliis

He's just realizing it takes over 4 months to get one full myth tome set + relic+1 items.

How good are the myth items, same as coil? I imagine they're more supposed to be a "fill in the spots you're missing" kind of thing rather than a "you have to buy them all".

Torquill

How good are the myth items, same as coil? I imagine they're more supposed to be a "fill in the spots you're missing" kind of thing rather than a "you have to buy them all".
Yeah, but I look like a TRON Dragoon if I get then all!!!

Alucrid

Banned
Depends. Different stats so different pieces may be better or worse.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos

Honestly, Allegan gear makes me look like I am gearing up for a dinner party.

AF2 gear makes me look like a Dragoon about to open a can of jump!
As such, I will be using AF2 gear for everything other than accessories and belt.

Anantaboga is such a weird fight because there are so many perfectly acceptable ways to position him as long as everyone is on the same page. I've had people tell me that one way of holding it is how it should be done when your tank is good at repositioning; others tell me that same positioning is the worst possible idea and will wipe the party every time.

As tank I don't give a shit, I can deal with holding him wherever; but it's annoying when I ask if anyone has a preference and they just shrug, then complain after a wipe that I'm not holding it in the right place.

For what it's worth, I think holding him on the left of the statue and facing the middle of the room is the most effective positioning, but holding him on the right of the statue and facing the wall also works fine as long as people don't go run over to the middle to grab the add.

That is something that I always found amusing when pugging AK. Try to teach a new tank a way to do it, but then after every wipe to whatever happened everyone else changes the strat to what they like, making the tank confused when anything at all works.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess

Rock Volnutt right?

The only times I've run AK, I've run with you. Never had a problem with how you tanked it. Always made sense to me. Now, I've had a problem with my own DPS but that's another story. lol

The add does a big circular AoE that they throw down. People can move out of it, but I thought we were talking about this setup being beneficial because the tank didn't have to move. I'd rather the tank didn't take unnecessary damage if they aren't super geared (I get the feeling that some of the perspectives on this are coming from people who regularly run with tanks who aren't in AF), because the timing of the big attack + disease can be pretty crappy sometimes.

The biggest benefit of that setup is that the tank dosn't have to move at all, so healers dosn't need to cure disease and only focus on heal. You strat would be very fine but requires healers use esuna or leeches, something they don't do because is goes against the "normal" way to do the boss.

As a tank I'm open to different strats but I just use what it seems the "standard" one, since it seems the one most people know how it goes.

Einbroch

Banned
Love it when people AFK mooch CM runs. I don't put up with that shit and I just leave the group.

Annoying assholes.

Aeana

The biggest benefit of that setup is that the tank dosn't have to move at all, so healers dosn't need to cure disease and only focus on heal. You strat would be very fine but requires healers use esuna or leeches, something they don't do because is goes against the "normal" way to do the boss.

As a tank I'm open to different strats but I just use what it seems the "standard" one, since it seems the one most people know how it goes.

I don't understand. Why don't they need to cure disease?

Hubb

Love it when people AFK mooch CM runs. I don't put up with that shit and I just leave the group.

Annoying assholes.

SE really needs to step it up with this. This isn't the first game to have AFK problems, they fixed speed runs quickly and you would think this would also be up high up on the priorities.

They are probably thinking of the debuff that lowers movement speed without realizing the part that lowers healing 50% or however much.

I can hold just fine. lol

Slowdowns my movement so if I had to move I wouldn't make it time, that would be the main reason. Either way is not really needed.

I too wonder why so few healers cures it anyway since is very effortless to do so. But hey! I stopped doing those questions to myself some time ago.

Aeana

I can hold just fine. lol

Slowdowns my movement so if I had to move I wouldn't make it time, that would be the main reason. Either way is not really needed.

I too wonder why so few healers cures it anyway since is very effortless to do so. But hey! I stopped doing those questions to myself some time ago.

???
Disease lowers healing effectiveness. Disease has to be cured in order for cures to not be totally wasted casting.

???
Disease lowers healing effectiveness. Disease has to be cured in order for cures to not be totally wasted casting.

I know, but they still don't do so. At least a good portion of healers I DFed AK.

Don't ask me why, eitherway I can pop my mitigation skills and hold just fine. But I can see other less geared tanks dying very easily.

Aeana

I know, but they still don't do so. At least a good portion of healers I DFed AK.

Don't ask me why, eitherway I can pop my mitigation skills and hold just fine. But I can see other less geared tanks dying very easily.

I think a lot of healers are completely oblivious to debuffs.

can't stand these darn bots that keep farming all the banemites in the North Shroud, I just need some darn drops for weaver!

This is a HUGE problem. I've been trying to help my wife who plays weaver to farm them and it's so damn frustrating. There's only that one small area where they are grouped together and it's bad enough in that spot being overcamped in competition with regular level 50 players who for some reason refuse to buy the webs on the market. I digress.

But the last two times I tried to farm there though there was a different guy who was literally popping into and then popping out of view all over the map when a diremite would spawn. Couldn't grab a single claim in half an hour of trying to outgun him.

I don't think it was a simple bot though. The guy was decked out in full Darklight gear. I'd expect some gimpy guy with a random character name judging by past users of such things. Nope, deliberate hacking by a real player. I report those types of course. But much like with the gil shouters, S-E is way behind in dealing with it.

If I wasn't just helping somebody out and instead had to have the webs myself, it might have made me so frustrated that I quit the game for a long while. I still get super angry thinking about it.

The bots can report you and get you banned for MPK.
Be careful of doing this.

The idea is genius if it works. How could they report for MPK? They can close the window right away!

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
The idea is genius if it works. How could they report for MPK? They can close the window right away!

They reported people and those people got banned in XI. Square has set a precedent here and would expect them to do the same with this game.

daveo42

Banned

Sounds like it to me. The only issue I ever run into is when the stack on the tank is too large to see all the buffs/debuffs. I almost wish Esuna was off the GCD if you need to clear multiple debuffs. That 2.5 second wait time.

Mairu

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/100125-I-need-server-transfer-now!?p=1396817#post1396817
Greetings,

I apologize that we are starting to leave the beginning of October and head into the middle of the month and that information on the world transfer service is late. The development team is in the midst of finalizing the implementation date, so unfortunately I am not able to inform you of a specific date when this will be available just yet.

I believe we will be able to make announcement very soon about the start date, and I will be sure to let you all know as soon as I can.
this goddamn company

Shouta

Hey Shouta, whats your MNK rotation look like?
Or any high level monks.

Pitbull kind of mentions it but it depends on where you are with buffs and positioning. If I can freely move, my rotation would be something like

(Side) Dragon Kick -> Twin Snakes -> Demolish -> Touch of Death
(Side) Dragon Kick -> Twin Snakes -> Snap Punch -> Fracture
(Behind) Bootshine -> True Strike -> Impulse Drive x2 (or however many I can fit) -> Demolish

Insert Howling Fist and Steel Peak in fights you can, particularly to shorten the recovery on like Snap Punch or so.

Repeat and keep buffs up. For Titan, I just do the first two because I'm always on the side of him and I'd rather not move behind to cause undue stress to the casters.

They reported people and those people got banned in XI. Square has set a precedent here and would expect them to do the same with this game.

I think that was a whole different set of circumstances though. MPK in XI was leading an enemy to the zone line, the player zones, then when the enemy would return to its original spot, it would attack anybody it came across on the way back. Also MPK'ers would form long trains, leaving annihilation in their wake.

In XIV, the enemy has already been claimed by the person intending to kill it in the first place. You can't really sic an enemy on another player since they don't restart aggro until they get back to the original spot. It's really no different than running by on a mount and sending a random free company invite to somebody that is slashing something else on the side of a main road.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
I think that was a whole different set of circumstances though. MPK in XI was leading an enemy to the zone line, the player zones, then when the enemy would return to its original spot, it would attack anybody it came across on the way back. Also MPK'ers would form long trains, leaving annihilation in their wake.

In XIV, the enemy has already been claimed by the person intending to kill it in the first place. You can't really sic an enemy on another player since they don't restart aggro until they get back to the original spot. It's really no different than running by on a mount and sending a random free company invite to somebody that is slashing something else on the side of a main road.

Just because the mechanics aren't the same doesn't mean the offense isn't the same.

You are killing players with monsters by interfering with their interface.
I have had some tense fights that if a trade window were to be popped on me, I would have died.

SE will see it as a form of griefing and will likely warn, temp ban, then perma ban the player.

Jayhawk

Avoid diremite farming altogether by just spamming leves like Cotton Coif of Gathering in Quarrymill that require no Velveteen. Since it's a triple turn-in, you can get 30 webs from one leve usage. How long does it take to get 30 webs from farming mobs?

pitbull

Banned
Pitbull kind of mentions it but it depends on where you are with buffs and positioning. If I can freely move, my rotation would be something like

(Side) Dragon Kick -> Twin Snakes -> Demolish -> Touch of Death
(Side) Dragon Kick -> Twin Snakes -> Snap Punch -> Fracture
(Behind) Bootshine -> True Strike -> Impulse Drive x2 (or however many I can fit) -> Demolish

Insert Howling Fist and Steel Peak in fights you can, particularly to shorten the recovery on like Snap Punch or so.

Repeat and keep buffs up. For Titan, I just do the first two because I'm always on the side of him and I'd rather not move behind to cause undue stress to the casters.

and his is one of the rotations, and should work perfectly.. I dont like to use demolish or ToD until 3 stacks of greased lightening and prefer the auto crit of bootshine over to possible increased dmg of impulse drive

There's just so much leeway and all will work fine for very end game dps limits, just really depends on how much number crunching you're wanting when it doesn't make a huge difference. (unless you're just bootshining the whole fight)

Cryst

I think this partially has to do with how debuffs are displayed in this game. I'm not sure how the buffs/debuffs are prioritized in the party frames, but often, the debuff that needs to be cleansed is smack dab in the middle of all the other buffs, and not always apparent. My WHM friend had a hard time paying attention to these, especially on his first couple times through a new boss encounter.

When running Titan with pug groups, there always seems to be a healer that doesn't realize that they need to remove the debuff caused by Gaol. My guess is that A) it's hard to see, it's just a purple-ish icon with a triangle (it's not red so it can't be bad) and B) many video guides don't mention this at all (because they are mostly from the PoV of a DPS) and C) there aren't many encounters in this game that require you to esuna/leech (I always assumed the dragon in Brayflox would change that)

Also, my two cents on where to tank that big ugly lizard, I used to position the boss with the tail into the wall and everything was peachy keen. Then I ran through that place more via DF, where sometimes healers are new, or just not very good, and neglect to cleanse the debuff. The movement reduction is enough so that I can't make it safely behind the statue, and would take the Catastrophe+immediate follow up Rotten Breath, or worse, while trying to do this, cause the boss to spin and breathe on the whole group (though this only happened once). Tempered Will does not remove the debuff for some reason, :(

orion434

Avoid diremite farming altogether by just spamming leves like Cotton Coif of Gathering in Quarrymill that require no Velveteen. Since it's a triple turn-in, you can get 30 webs from one leve usage. How long does it take to get 30 webs from farming mobs?

This is what I did, the only problem is that the reward isn't always Diremite Webs.

Is there a Leve that gives Fleece... that's a bigger problem.

Shouta

and his is one of the rotations, and should work perfectly.. I dont like to use demolish or ToD until 3 stacks of greased lightening and prefer the auto crit of bootshine over to possible increased dmg of impulse drive

There's just so much leeway and all will work fine for very end game dps limits, just really depends on how much number crunching you're wanting when it doesn't make a huge difference. (unless you're just bootshining the whole fight)

You've got 10 seconds or so of Opo-opo so you can always fit an Impulse Drive or two before starting your next rotation. Not really useful if you can't move behind the mob though, lol.

Aeana

I think this partially has to do with how debuffs are displayed in this game. I'm not sure how the buffs/debuffs are prioritized in the party frames, but often, the debuff that needs to be cleansed is smack dab in the middle of all the other buffs, and not always apparent. My WHM friend had a hard time paying attention to these, especially on his first couple times through a new boss encounter.

When running Titan with pug groups, there always seems to be a healer that doesn't realize that they need to remove the debuff caused by Gaol. My guess is that A) it's hard to see, it's just a purple-ish icon with a triangle (it's not red so it can't be bad) and B) many video guides don't mention this at all (because they are mostly from the PoV of a DPS) and C) there aren't many encounters in this game that require you to esuna/leech (I always assumed the dragon in Brayflox would change that)
I agree that they sometimes aren't presented optimally, buuut, there is an easy way to tell buffs and debuffs apart anyway. If you look at this image you can see that buffs point upward and debuffs point downward. Perhaps some people don't realize that.

I always try to pay attention to any debuffs that get slapped on people, especially the tank. Not always easy in a hectic fight and it took me a short time to realize Esuna only removes one debuff at a time but something you have to look out for.

This is something Mira mentioned in the FC, let them pull a diremite and open trade with them and just watch them die.

The ones on Excalibur are evolving, they cancel the trade after about 10 seconds. I've been watching them teleport all over Eastern Thanalan this morning killing goats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom