• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

WolvenOne

13 people online in the FC atm.

the debate running at the moment has scared everybody offline.

Sorry about that, I kept expecting there to be some degree of resolution. I wouldn't have stuck around nearly so long if I'd realized there wasn't going to be any headway made whatsoever.

Resilient

Lol don't apologise, you guys gotta discuss what you gotta discuss. As a bystander, I'm pretty sure both parties went repeated their arguments about 15 times each. it made for good reading while I did fates.

Ken

I felt that players would be maxing out gear, and completing content, way too quickly with a class specific myth cap.

as a whole (all classes together) they'd of course be reach 'max gear ceiling' faster; that's a no brainer.

completing content faster though? that's debatable especially with your argument's points

My sub ended so I'm taking a break to play other games. Will be back for the patch which is being released.. Dec 17th I think?

booooooooooooo

Create dungeons with wings and alternate paths; the idea is to allow the same dungeon to be run by multiple skill groups - alternate paths been faster but harder, incentivizing repetition. Kinda like Wanderer's Palace Speed run, except designed more explicitly, instead of having it emerge on chance based on what players can exploit.

I remember paths in gw2. people just found the most efficient one and stuck to it forever (aka until when i quit). i dont think i ever once saw every branch of CoF.

Nohar

Sadly, indeed, dungeons with multiple paths are interesting in theory, but GW2 showed me that most players will just skip the others possibles paths and stick with the easiest one, even if doing others paths may grant greater rewards and even if the path which is done ad nauseum gives diminishing returns. Though, truth to be told, GW2's difficulty is... not very well balanced at all. Some paths which should be easy are incredibly difficults due to scrappy mecanics. They wanted to get rid of the holy trinity (DPS/Tank/Healer), but in the end we have a beautiful MMO with an half-baked gameplay (yes, I went there).

Sophia

Damn. Was going to buy this game for ps3 and upgrade to ps4, but now you guys are saying the pop is dying?

Nah. There's almost 200 players in the cities on the Adamantoise server right now, and it's 10 in the morning. Population is fine.

They need to get patches out faster tho, otherwise the population will drop.

More like stabilizing. Most of burn outs and one monthers have left the game leaving those that actually enjoy the game. Population is still large despite all of this. Hell, I am still getting hit with queues every now and then.

KPJZKC

So do we have any GAF friendly FC's in Phoenix for the EU players? Really need something to distract me during gathering :p

Taruranto

Not sure what the solution is. There's no such thing as infinite content unless it's randomly generated, and I certainly have no interest in that. The FF14 development team may have prioritized the wrong content, but what else could be done? Aside from making things take immeasurably longer to accomplish, which of course was FF11's method.

I dunno, why not? Was it that worst than what we have now, "get at max level in the first week, get relic in the second, complete 90% of the content in the third and then sit AFK most of the times doing nothing new"? The truth is that, as much people claimed to hate things like Valkurm Dunes hell it was a much memorable experience than what we have now. Leveling in FFXI was an adventure itself, i share so many fun memories about it... will I able to say the same thing about FFXIV in 2 years? Honestly, I don't think so.

Then again, if it was up to me, I would completely remove things like instanced dungeons, duty finder, instant teleport everywhere and NPC-Based economy. They look comfy at first, but then you realize they completely destroy what mmorpg should be about and turn the whole thing in some sort of instanced theme park.

Yeah, I wouldn't play a game like that. I don't play EVE for a reason. I don't want a virtual world with everything designed and run by players. At all.

I dunno, I think FFXI was mostly players-based and It worked (mostly) fine.

Sophia

I did the whole No-Duty Finder thing back in Beta, and I did it as well in Guild Wars 2 before they added the LFG. It wasn't fun.

Nor was it fun in FFXI either, really. The fun was in the group play, not sitting around waiting for a party member.

It would be kind of interesting however if classic leveling parties were made a viable means of leveling. The idea of having subsections of a zone where the monsters are much tougher but the XP much greater is pretty appealing.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Damn. Was going to buy this game for ps3 and upgrade to ps4, but now you guys are saying the pop is dying?

Do it, can't beat one month investment if you got the PS3 copy super cheap

Play and try out stuff, then when PS4 version comes around (most likely Early March), just resub and get the upgrade, which wouldn't be such a burdened price

I think it was stated that if you upgrade your copy, your account will become PS4 relevant and might need to buy another PS3 copy to play it on PS3 (some shit like that)

Sucks ass been trying to get into a Coil group for over a month, been doing random PUG, always T1 and T2 down, T4 always the cock-block
BLM and PLD, only thing I have to show for it is an Allagan Ring of Casting and Striking
Also this game really hates me in loot drops, when I go BLM tank gear I need drops, I go tank BLM gear drops
FUCK MY LIFE!

aceface

I tried FFXI back in the day, but it was way too much of a time-sink. I have a job and 3 kids and at best about 2 hours at night to play on average. As a longtime FF fan the fact that FFXI was basically inaccessible to me pissed me off. FFXIV on the other hand is set up perfectly for me.

Sorian

Banned
Sadly, indeed, dungeons with multiple paths are interesting in theory, but GW2 showed me that most players will just skip the others possibles paths and stick with the easiest one, even if doing others paths may grant greater rewards and even if the path which is done ad nauseum gives diminishing returns. Though, truth to be told, GW2's difficulty is... not very well balanced at all. Some paths which should be easy are incredibly difficults due to scrappy mecanics. They wanted to get rid of the holy trinity (DPS/Tank/Healer), but in the end we have a beautiful MMO with an half-baked gameplay (yes, I went there).

THANK YOU

No, but seriously, I know people think the holy trinity is the spawn of satan but when you take away a good base system like that, you get a mess like GW2. Instead of having specific roles, they set it up so that no one had a specific role which means that everyone sucks at everything and bosses become a tank and spank chore because you can't layer real mechanics onto something that has no definitive base. Tried GW2 twice and hated it both times because of that. /rant

Ferr986

Sucks ass been trying to get into a Coil group for over a month, been doing random PUG, always T1 and T2 down, T4 always the cock-block

Not going to say its impossible, but I think PUGing T4 is a really hard thing to accomplish.

dcye

So do we have any GAF friendly FC's in Phoenix for the EU players? Really need something to distract me during gathering :p

You're welcome to join my FC if you like, we have no relation to GAF and I'm fairly sure I'm the only GAF poster in it but we don't bite. Jeral Ba'ken, hit me up in like 6-8 hours for an invite cause I'm heading to bed right now haha.

oneils

Tried purchasing this from their online store. They have some serious problems, I think. Can't manage to actually purchase the game. Keep getting system errors and their support database is useless.

Khatoz

THANK YOU

No, but seriously, I know people think the holy trinity is the spawn of satan but when you take away a good base system like that, you get a mess like GW2. Instead of having specific roles, they set it up so that no one had a specific role which means that everyone sucks at everything and bosses become a tank and spank chore because you can't layer real mechanics onto something that has no definitive base. Tried GW2 twice and hated it both times because of that. /rant

Yeah, it was a good attempt at something else, but in the end it showed the strenght of the Holy Trinity system, since everything was as you mention a tank and spank or a zerg fest, really a shame since the overall world is one of the best MMORPG Worlds I have played.

Alucrid

Banned
I did the whole No-Duty Finder thing back in Beta, and I did it as well in Guild Wars 2 before they added the LFG. It wasn't fun.

Nor was it fun in FFXI either, really. The fun was in the group play, not sitting around waiting for a party member.

It would be kind of interesting however if classic leveling parties were made a viable means of leveling. The idea of having subsections of a zone where the monsters are much tougher but the XP much greater is pretty appealing.

Since dungeons are supposed to level faster than fates in 2.1 you can probably expect to see parties for that.

WolvenOne

The population is fine, the past few days things have been a bit thin, but considering the number of people away from thier homes to celebrate a major holiday, that's unsurprising.

Azrael

It's just hard to get motivated to cap myth tomes every week when there will be faster and more varied options in how to do it in 2 1/2 weeks, and there isn't expected to be much in the way of gear progression with 2.1 . Even if I take it easy until 2.1 arrives, I should have a full set of ilvl 90 gear before 2.2 hits anyway.

I am at least tempted at least to work on getting enough philo tomes to HQ an ilvl 70 item before 2.1 though, because when Crystal Tower gear arrives the prices for those items will plummet, and if I can make 500k before 2.1 hits it would put a dent in the cost of a house.

Kenai

We're finally getting around to making real attempts on Twintania. So far we know how to die to the Fireballs and Conflags. It's fun!

Yea it only took me like 5-6 times of specifically getting targeted by fireball/conflag in a row before I got the timing down. Wish it wouldn't have hit our WHM too the other half of the time though, especially when we already know if we ever do down it she's just going to drop MNK/DRG loot like every other wing. Slowly, slowly being the last to die to a 380 dot while the boss watches is just so great.

WolvenOne

It's just hard to get motivated to cap myth tomes every week when there will be faster and more varied options in how to do it in 2 1/2 weeks, and there isn't expected to be much in the way of gear progression with 2.1 . Even if I take it easy until 2.1 arrives, I should have a full set of ilvl 90 gear before 2.2 hits anyway.

I am at least tempted at least to work on getting enough philo tomes to HQ an ilvl 70 item before 2.1 though, because when Crystal Tower gear arrives the prices for those items will plummet, and if I can make 500k before 2.1 hits it would put a dent in the cost of a house.

Well, I have plenty of motivation right now, but I'm a little torn about what I'm actually going to do with those Myth Tomes.

Option 1: Is to get the Relic+1 for my WAR, before 2.1 hits. That way when 2.1 hits I will almost immediately have enough Tomes to finish off my AF2 set, and will immediately be ready to start the Relic+2 s Quest.

Option 2: is to buy the WAR Jackboots, and pair them with the AK Pants, so I can finally un-equip the Darklight Heavy Flanchard. When you're got the War chest equipped, the DLHF clips against the WAR armor models horribly. It's still an improvement over going TinCan, but I count the days until I can fix it. The downside to this, is that I'd probably have to wait a few days before I could start the Relic+2 Quest when 2.1 hits. Not long, since even with the Jackboots I'd be incredibly close to getting the 900 Tomes I need for the Relic+1, but still.

Logically, I know I should go with option 1, since there's always a chance some lower body equipment will drop in Coil. Emotionally, well, I'm impatient and want to be rid of the last of the Darklight crap now! XD

PS: Jackboots+AK Pants, are actually a -1 Def downgrade over Darklight, but I'd be willing to live with that.

Aeana

This is a pretty good explanation on the mechanics of Twintania fight.

http://bluegarter.guildwork.com/forum/threads/5271d01fc16e4d64875e52dd-order-of-the-blue-garters-twintania-coloring-and-activity-book

Looks like the dot inside conflag is 200 per second, so if the tank is topped off, wouldn't it be better to jump in? When conflag is close to death the healer should already start casting heal in the tank.

Yes, that is what most groups do. However, you cannot target anybody who is in the conflag, so it's better to cast virus on Twintania just before the conflag dies instead.

Kenai

This is a pretty good explanation on the mechanics of Twintania fight.

http://bluegarter.guildwork.com/forum/threads/5271d01fc16e4d64875e52dd-order-of-the-blue-garters-twintania-coloring-and-activity-book

Looks like the dot inside conflag is 200 per second, so if the tank is topped off, wouldn't it be better to jump in? When conflag is close to death the healer should already start casting heal in the tank.

Maybe it's different for tanks then? I'm not full ilvl90 yet but I'm pretty damn geared and the conflag dot was doing about 380 per tic to me. I remember because it happened so many times yesterday ~_~

We also had the continuous problem of having one healer get conflag while the second got fireball at least 6 times out of yesterday's ~10 attempts although I am going to assume we just had bad rng and that isn't common.

Aeana

Maybe it's different for tanks then? I'm not full ilvl90 yet but I'm pretty damn geared and the conflag dot was doing about 380 per tic to me. I remember because it happened so many times yesterday ~_~

We also had the continuous problem of having one healer get conflag while the second got fireball at least 6 times out of yesterday's ~10 attempts although I am going to assume we just had bad rng and that isn't common.
That isn't common for us, but even if it happens, if the tank goes into the conflag then there's no healing that needs to be done.

Ferr986

Just a heads up, I saw on the official forums that the new Nvidia beta drivers improved the framerate of the game.

Im testing it right now and Im probably getting slightly better framerate (like a couple of fps more, nothing impressive), and also I noticed some graphics changes like the aetherytes having a stronger glow around them :/

Best thing though is that this drivers supposedly fixes the crash issues for 400 and 500 cards

Kenai

That isn't common for us, but even if it happens, if the tank goes into the conflag then there's no healing that needs to be done.

Yea it was our first night doing serious attempts so I'm pretty sure we just didn't really know what we are doing regarding Death Sentence. I'm almost sure Sosul ate one while Saff and I were both conflag'd. One time though it seemed like he took a real big hit literally the millisecond conflag wore so I wasn't sure if the boss was "waiting" for conflag to end or something. It was the type of situation where I had no idea if me and Saff coulda done something.

WolvenOne

BTW.

I know that supposedly the Extreme Primals are supposed to be doable in lvl70 Gear. (Probably in the same sense that HM Primals were doable in lvl55 Gear,) but what about EM Ultima Weapon?

I'd love it if there was at least one additional boss besides Twin that, "practically," requires lvl80 or higher Gear.

B.K.

Installed the game and updating the client now. What's the best server to join when I finally get the game going?

WolvenOne

BTW, been meaning to ask. My sister and brother in law are going to be joining up in awhile, and, I feel a need to ask about the rules regarding Free Company invites as of now. It's not the end of the world if they can't join the same FreeCompany as me, since I can always put them on a Linkshell and act as an intermediary if they need help. Still, it'd be nice, and they'd be good additions.

(I should note, neither my sister nor brother-in-law are half as corny, pun loving, or as stubborn as myself. In fact if I get too pun-heavy in her presence, mah sister will whacka mah head.)

ironcreed

Banned

Dying or not, I am jumping in this week. As much as I hate subs, I loved the beta too much and want to at least give it a try. I figure now would be a good time to get a character rolling before the new content is released.

WolvenOne

Dying or not, I am jumping in this week. As much as I hate subs, I loved the beta too much and want to at least give it a try. I figure now would be a good time to get a character rolling before the new content is released.

I really wouldn't call it dying, really.

It's population certainly doesn't compare to the first month, but, if anything there were way too many people playing in that time period. I remember that there were so many people playing at one point, that certain quests actually had a line of several people waiting for monsters to spawn. A single monster would spawn, and suddenly a ton of people would gang rush it to get the credit they needed to finish the quest.

The game just, wasn't designed for 1.5 million people playing near simultaneously. It looks like the population is somewhere around 600-800, and that's probably about ideal, at least until they add more servers. Anyhow, assuming the subs remain about stable between now and March, I wouldn't be surprised if the population shot back up over a million when the PS4 version is released. I know a couple people myself that're holding off on getting this game until then, assuming that's representative we should see a big boost when that happens.

Still, a couple FC members dropped off in October and November, I think a lot of us are hopeful that we'll get some of them back when 2.1 hits. Knock on wood.

kierwynn

BTW, been meaning to ask. My sister and brother in law are going to be joining up in awhile, and, I feel a need to ask about the rules regarding Free Company invites as of now. It's not the end of the world if they can't join the same FreeCompany as me, since I can always put them on a Linkshell and act as an intermediary if they need help. Still, it'd be nice, and they'd be good additions.

(I should note, neither my sister nor brother-in-law are half as corny, pun loving, or as stubborn as myself. In fact if I get too pun-heavy in her presence, mah sister will whacka mah head.)

We're not accepting random people who want to join, but friends and family of gaffers are welcome, I believe.

Ken

Sucks ass been trying to get into a Coil group for over a month

Not really, I'm at the place I really wanted to be

FUCK MY LIFE!

Fucking crazy, join a PUG Turn 1, leave with 50 myth and 2 rings lol

jbwdwShZDhbFcW_e.jpg

WolvenOne

Okay. my advice for getting a Coil.

Start a Linkshell, find other people that're looking for a Coil as well, add them one by one, and eventually you'll have enough people for a group.

Don't wait for a mostly complete group to just, stumble onto you! XD

Okay. my advice for getting a Coil.

Start a Linkshell, find other people that're looking for a Coil as well, add them one by one, and eventually you'll have enough people for a group.

Don't wait for a mostly complete group to just, stumble onto you! XD

That sounds like work though!

Nohar

I gave Turn 1 a try today. Sadly, we've been unable to kill the snake, despite some not so bad tries. Oh well, it was my first time entering Coil, so at least I got good practice from it.

B.K.

I had to leave, so I closed the client and turned off my computer. Now when I try to load the client, everything is blank. I had this problem in the beta and never did figure out how to fix it. All the instructions I've found online aren't helping. Anyone know of a way to fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom