• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.
About to login and create my first char, and it's a crazy patch day.

Any GAF play with a JP account ?
I had an old preorder code (for the Garlond Goggles I think), but it won't redeem in NA.
Quote to see and try using in JP Mog Station:

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
So what's the deal with the duty roulette XP bonus? It says the bonus is a daily thing, but I've gotten it twice thus far today from doing Ifrit via roulette.

Sophia

So what's the deal with the duty roulette XP bonus? It says the bonus is a daily thing, but I've gotten it twice thus far today from doing Ifrit via roulette.

There's two rewards. One is a daily reward and one is a bonus you receive should you be filling the proper role when you queue up.

WolvenOne

I thought it was to keep the "hard cores" from complaining

*Sigh* There's no need to be snarky.

I had hoped that at least Ifrit EM would have been enough of a challenge to keep the hard core players busy for awhile. Also, the week figure was based off roughly how long it seemed to take the average player/group to beat a HM Primal or Coil Boss, once unlocked.

I also stated that some groups would probably down the primals a bit more quickly, how much more quickly came as a bit of a surprise, but I tended to figure that most North American players wouldn't really be able to sink into the new content till this evening either.

So, this was my reasoning behind those statements, I am a little disappointed that it was a little off the mark, but oh well, no big. There's no need to sit there and ridicule me over it.

WolvenOne

So your gear set doesn't carry over cross platform? I went to my gear sets when I logged on to the pc and I had none.

You mean your pre-sets for different jobs right, not, your armor period, right?

If it's the former, well, those must be like a bookmark file stored on your computer. It's a little surprising that they don't have a server side back-up, but I guess it's no different than UI settings.

Ultrabum

I would be interested in hearing PvP impressions from someone who has experience with WoW PvP.

I played 4 matches they all went the same way.

Blm and whm tries to sleep everyone. Blm and whm run in a circle to kite melee.

If more than 1 person gets slept, you lose. If no one gets slept, then the first team to kill the whm wins.

If you have 2 melee you lost because 3 people just end up chasing the whm / blm, while they sleep you, or the whm heals the blm.

frequency

So your gear set doesn't carry over cross platform? I went to my gear sets when I logged on to the pc and I had none.

No interface stuff or gear sets or any of that carries over. It's saved locally, not on the server.

It's basically why my stupid PS3 CE will never be used now.
Worst purchase ever. $90 for nothing (already had PC version so ARR was "free" for me).

I played 4 matches they all went the same way.

Blm and whm tries to sleep everyone. Blm and whm run in a circle to kite melee.

If more than 1 person gets slept, you lose. If no one gets slept, then the first team to kill the whm wins.

If you have 2 melee you lost because 3 people just end up chasing the whm / blm, while they sleep you, or the whm heals the blm.

No gap closers or snares/roots? How are lengths and diminishing returns on CC? Same as PvE? No way to break out of it too I guess?
Are the fights drawn out or bursty?

Sounds terrible from your description.

Yu Narukami

No interface stuff or gear sets or any of that carries over. It's saved locally, not on the server.

Worst purchase ever. $90 for nothing (already had PC version so ARR was "free" for me).

I hope they come up with a solution when people will want to upgrade to PS4, but knowing it's Square...

Considering how people are already geared for Coil it 70 and 90 gear I don't think the EM primals will take that long for someone to down all three.

Ultrabum

No gap closers? How are lengths and diminishing returns on CC? Same as PvE? No way to break out of it too I guess?
Are the fights drawn out or bursty?

Sounds terrible from your description.

I played a monk and war. I would shoulder tackle in then they hit sprint, I hit sprint, they just have to 180 and by the time the server refreshes they are out of range. Then I wait for shoulder tackle.....

I think things are messed up because no one has the pvp skills yet.

Warrior seems almost useless except you can holonang people and. Stun them every so often.

Blm and smn very strong IMO.

Only played 4 games, at work now.

frequency

I played a monk and war. I would shoulder tackle in then they hit sprint, I hit sprint, they just have to 180 and by the time the server refreshes they are out of range. Then I wait for shoulder tackle.....

I think things are messed up because no one has the pvp skills yet.

Warrior seems almost useless except you can holonang people and. Stun them every so often.

Blm and smn very strong IMO.

Only played 4 games, at work now.

Thank you for the impressions!
It seems like, at least without the PvP skills, it hasn't improved very much from beta -- which was a joke.

Cmagus

Wow the interface and menu changes are nice and I gotta say this game runs like a million times better and probably the best i've ever seen so far.Nothing is choppy and everything feels smooth so far. I also like how they have labeled the areas in the teleport menu.

studyguy

LOL at sleeping the people in the Wolves Den.
I cast sleep at 3 people and we nuked the healer, it was easy as pie.

Welcome to beta PvP.
Same thing we did in the original beta for pvp and it was just as effective.
Good to hear the BLM are still beasts.

WolvenOne

Warrior seems useless in PVP?

Darn, there goes some small desire to play it. I'll probably still try it, but hopefully it isn't too akin to pulling teeth.

Ultrabum

LOL at sleeping the people in the Wolves Den.
I cast sleep at 3 people and we nuked the healer, it was easy as pie.

I had one group as a war and there were 2 blms that knew each other. They told me to run out and not attack and they would sleep. They slept the whm and we killed their blm (simply ignoring the melee dps).

Then they re sleeped and we killed whm.

Basically I think if you make a premade with 2 blm you can't lose. (Until pvp skills come in).

frequency

Also, I want to say, having to purchase PvP abilities with PvP points is one of the worst ideas ever.

The gap between people who have played a bit and new players is going to be HUGE with not only PvP gear but also abilities. Square has absolutely no idea what they're doing with PvP.

Sophia

Warrior seems useless in PVP?

Darn, there goes some small desire to play it. I'll probably still try it, but hopefully it isn't too akin to pulling teeth.

The Metagame is always evolving. Don't be so quick to dismiss it after five hours since the patch. :p

N.A

Banned
Close to being done with this game.

There are so many bad design decisions in 2.1 :/

Nobody likes FATEs. Why do they persist with them? And worse, lock content behind them.
Housing should be affordable to all FCs. Their reason of "a few people on each server have over 100 million so we had to make houses cost this much" is idiotic. Rich people can still get housing but casual players have no chance.
PvP is a horribly unbalanced mess. (basically who can cast sleep first then kill the whm)
I've never done Coil but even I have apathy towards the majority of the new gear. They should have nerfed coil and made crystal tower the highest dungeon until 2.2.

Ultrabum

The Metagame is always evolving. Don't be so quick to dismiss it after five hours since the patch. :p

That's why in every post I say I only played 4 games :D

Still, the latency makes it very easy to kite melee. Getting the ws animation start then cancel while sprinting behind someone is maddening. Good thing I have sch and smn lol.

WolvenOne

Close to being done with this game.

Nobody likes FATEs. Why do they persist with them? And worse, lock content behind them.
Housing should be affordable to all FCs. Their reason of "a few people on each server have over 100 million so we had to make houses cost this much" is idiotic. Rich people can still get housing but casual players have no chance.
PvP is a horribly unbalanced mess. (basically who can cast sleep first then kill the whm)
I've never done Coil but even I have apathy towards the majority of the new gear. They should have nerfed coil and made crystal tower the highest dungeon until 2.2.

1: Fates are fine, the pop rate might need a little adjusting, but no big.

2: you do realize that the hundred million plus figure is for the very largest buildings right most FCs probably won't even have enough crafters to fill the large lots before 2.2 hits. The small ones will be worth single digit millions before the next patch hits, for Guild housing that seems fine. Only complaint I have is that they should've implemented personal housing first.

3: hopefully the PVP skills balance out combat a bit. If not, hopefully we don't have to wait for 2.2 for a balance patch.

4: I will admit that not having additional content at Coil level difficulty is a little disappointing. I was hoping the tougher EM Primals would fill that role, but I guess not.

Still, seems a bit early to be making a ruling on 2.1 content. It sounds like you haven't even played through most the new stuff yet.

Welcome to beta PvP.
Same thing we did in the original beta for pvp and it was just as effective.
Good to hear the BLM are still beasts.

I guess once people start getting the PvP abilities it won't be as effective, but of course for the first ranks will be a nightmare.

They are broken or just spawn too slow? Has anyone been in CT?

They spawn too slow, I wasted 2 hours doing all four and I can say I was lucky. At least I have CT unlocked.

creid

Has anyone messed with treasure maps much? I found one on my 2nd gathering attempt, put it for sale on my retainer (it hasn't sold,) and then couldn't find another. In my experience with Unique items in the past, it seems I could get a 2nd one if my retainer was holding one, but now I'm not so sure if this is the case. Can anyone shed any light?

Edit: Unless the ability to have more than one Unique item by storing it on a retainer was a bug that just got fixed in 2.1?

Speak for yourself. Fates are awesome game system, but it's true they shouldn't lock event or specific tasks to them. Fates should simply be something for players to do and part of the leveling process.

I started the fate chain for CT as soon as the servers went live and it took a handful of hours of waiting around for them to pop to complete it :(

Has anyone messed with treasure maps much? I found one on my 2nd gathering attempt, put it for sale on my retainer (it hasn't sold,) and then couldn't find another. In my experience with Unique items in the past, it seems I could get a 2nd one if my retainer was holding one, but now I'm not so sure if this is the case. Can anyone shed any light?

Edit: Unless the ability to have more than one Unique item by storing it on a retainer was a bug that just got fixed in 2.1?
It's not unique. You can get one map per rank per 18 hours.

You can only find one every 18 hours. From the patch notes:

* Upon obtaining a timeworn map, players will be unable to find another for 18 hours (Earth time).

Ploid 3.0

Speak for yourself. Fates are awesome game system, but it's true they shouldn't lock event or specific tasks to them. Fates should simply be something for players to do and part of the leveling process.

I'd rather they lock things behind fates than putting them behind yet another dungeon.

Isaccard

CT fates are bugged, fix inbound.

If anyone else is going to announce their done with the game, pls donate your Gil for FC housing.

creid

Yoshida posted this on OF about housing

Our fundamental stance toward housing prices was that we wanted to ensure that plots would be evenly distributed, avoiding a situation in which the wealthiest players could easily buy up all available plots of land. Please understand that while we will be adding servers and expanding housing areas as soon as we can, it is simply physically impossible for us to accomplish this easily, in a matter of one or two weeks.
Wow. So basically they had to make the prices slightly out of reach, because they don't have the capacity to add more housing "server space", and therefore didn't want everything to be bought up right away. Pretty embarrassing, but I'm glad that at least the prices will be eventually coming further down on Sargatanas.

WolvenOne

Wow. So basically they had to make the prices slightly out of reach, because they don't have the capacity to add more housing "server space", and therefore didn't want everything to be bought up right away. Pretty embarrassing, but I'm glad that at least the prices will be eventually coming further down on Sargatanas.

Yeah, I think they mentioned that once before. Either way I'm not really inclined to be critical, I'm just going to do my best and enjoy myself the best I can. I'll enjoy playing uber-capitalist until GAF has it's mansion. XD

Shouta

Logged in a bit to start up some quests this morning. Sort function = boss and i unlocked the beast quests in Gridania. I'll do some of those this afternoon and get all of them unlocked before I start doing the Duty Finder.

THe patch notes were huge so obviously missed alot, but story quests are no longer level gated? I'm able to now take on quests my character is not high enough level to do

frequency

Server space for housing a cause for the prices...

A lot of decisions in this game seem to be the result of cost cutting measures.

Which makes me feel bad about monthly fees but I don't know. I don't really understand financials. Other MMORPGs weren't as blatant about it in my experience though.

THe patch notes were huge so obviously missed alot, but story quests are no longer level gated? I'm able to now take on quests my character is not high enough level to do

I think you could always take quests that were not too far above your level. But you won't be able to turn them in until you meet the level requirement.

MechaX

I only had the chance to play Pharos Sirus with a DF group before I had to go to work this morning (and I refuse to play the EM Primals until I can at least get 200 more myth for my Bard Pants; I refuse to keep being a burden for GAF parties on primal runs).

The dungeon was pretty fun I think; definitely less sleep inducing than AK. The bosses have some pretty... interesting gimmicks.
The first boss got kind of crazy because we had no idea what his debuffs even meant in the grand scheme of things; for fun times, try destroying all of the eggs in the Zu fight, and getting charmed by Siren and attacking your healer is humorous).
Going to try out Haukke and Copperbell tonight, since I doubt they're going to get the CT fate issues fixed this evening.

I think you could always take quests that were not too far above your level. But you won't be able to turn them in until you meet the level requirement.

Story quests wouldnt let you take them though, but I can take them and turn in story mainline quests now that were higher level than me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom