• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

frequency

Story quests wouldnt let you take them though, but I can take them and turn in story mainline quests now that were higher level than me.

Ah sorry, I missed the "Story" part of your post.
Though I wasn't aware story quests were gated differently than side quests. I was always over-leveled for the story quests.

That's a nice change though.

WolvenOne

BTW, does anyone need help with anything?

I might take a nap when I get home from work, but I'd love to be able to help someone out after that. I really want to make a more sustained effort at being a helpful positive force within the community. :)

pitbull

Banned
so i got me a hannibal mask and some new shiny metal boots from copperbell, i60 but they look neat.

I think ultgaf should get moogle opened then we start working our way up the boss fights.

studyguy

Holy shit! The biggest part of the update.
Not gear, not PvP, quests, skills, items, crafts no... none of that matters.

Highlanders...
Can now get eyebrows through an eyebrow tattoo
GAMECHANGER

WolvenOne

Holy shit! The biggest part of the update.
Not gear, not PvP, quests, skills, items, crafts no... none of that matters.

Highlanders...
Can now get eyebrows through an eyebrow tattoo
GAMECHANGER

Kinda disappointed there actually. Doesn't seem like there are many new hairstyles available. Mind you, I rather like my characters current hairstyle, so I can wait awhile. Hope they add a fair number of new styles next update though. XD

I really do get the impression that 2.1, was really more of a, "features first," update.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
For these beastmen dailies: Is it six alloances per day across both sets of dailies or six allowances for Sylph and six for the Brotherhood of Ash?

Taruranto

Man, they really fucked up with Pharos and the HM dungeons. They should have been avaible at launch.

Pharos is fun, but the fact you get inside with iLevel 90 gears allows you to bypass several fight mechanics
Zu, how do you work.
Getting AK gears is also depressing.

Kintaro

Man, they really fucked up with Pharos and the HM dungeons. They should have been avaible at launch.

Pharos is fun, but the fact you get inside with iLevel 90 gears allows you to bypass several fight mechanics
Zu, how do you work.
Getting AK gears is also depressing.

Meh, nothing wrong with padding out dungeons with lower post 50 dungeon content. I meant, you're right. It should have been there. But, yeah.

aceface

Duty finder roulette for low level dungeons, got Ifrit easy mode, beat it in 5 minutes, got 100k exp bonus. Now this is living.

For the guildhest roulette got 24k bonus, not bad for a few minutes work.

WolvenOne

Okay, based off limited exposure to 2.1 content, here's a couple items I'm adding to my Future Patch wishlist.

• Monthly PVP Balancing Adjustments, because, lets face it, even if the PVP only skills help there's probably going to be some balance issues.
  • PVP Tournament Mode, 2.2
  • PVP Spectator Mode 2.2
  • More Coil level content.
  • More Bahamut/Odin level Fates

Right now, content the content update seems to be aimed mostly are Pre-Coil players. That's fine, since that's where most players are now. Come late February though, I suspect a either a majority of players will be in Coil, or we'll be approaching that point.

Since there's now ample Pre-Coil level content, I hope they start focusing on Coil and Coil+ level content come 2.2.

As for PVP, I'm willing to be patient with that feature, but I know others won't be. Since PVP balancing shouldn't effect the rest of the game, there shouldn't be any excuse for putting out balance patches there more frequently.

I should note, I haven't tried PVP yet, and it might not even be that bad. I'm just assuming at this point that it's unlikely to really, "nail," it on it's first iteration.

PS: Any word yet whether or not any of the new crafting items require Phil Tomes? Kinda eager to know if they'll go up in value or not.

Kintaro

As for PVP, I'm willing to be patient with that feature, but I know others won't be. Since PVP balancing shouldn't effect the rest of the game, there shouldn't be any excuse for putting out balance patches there more frequently.

PVP balancing is already affecting the rest of the game.

Torquill

Okay, based off limited exposure to 2.1 content, here's a couple items I'm adding to my Future Patch wishlist.

• Monthly PVP Balancing Adjustments, because, lets face it, even if the PVP only skills help there's probably going to be some balance issues.
  • PVP Tournament Mode, 2.2
  • PVP Spectator Mode 2.2
  • More Coil level content.
  • More Bahamut/Odin level Fates

Right now, content the content update seems to be aimed mostly are Pre-Coil players. That's fine, since that's where most players are now. Come late February though, I suspect a either a majority of players will be in Coil, or we'll be approaching that point.

Since there's now ample Pre-Coil level content, I hope they start focusing on Coil and Coil+ level content come 2.2.

I should note, I haven't tried PVP yet, and it might not even be that bad. I'm just assuming at this point that it's unlikely to really, "nail," it on it's first iteration.

PS: Any word yet whether or not any of the new crafting items require Phil Tomes? Kinda eager to know if they'll go up in value or not.
We are getting more coil and more CT every other patch. No other raid content is planned before the first expansion

PVP balancing is already affecting the rest of the game.

Yeah, right off the bat they are making the rookie mistake of letting PvP balancing affect PvE. They better learn fast that the majority of players only do PvE or are only causal PvPers, so don't piss the majority off with dumb balance changes.

pitbull

Banned
Duty finder roulette for low level dungeons, got Ifrit easy mode, beat it in 5 minutes, got 100k exp bonus. Now this is living.

For the guildhest roulette got 24k bonus, not bad for a few minutes work.

now this is pod racing!

[*]Monthly PVP Balancing Adjustments, because, lets face it, even if the PVP only skills help there's probably going to be some balance issues.

[*]PVP Tournament Mode, 2.2

[*]PVP Spectator Mode 2.2

please no, square is bad at pvp, this isn't a pvp game. The more they try at pvp the more the story and pve will suffer. FF is a pve always has been, if someone bought this having high hopes of pvp then I have some ocean front property to sell them (135 mil)

[*]More Coil level content.
pretty sure it cant be a wish when its already confirm by the guy that makes the game

[*]More Bahamut/Odin level Fates

Yeah cuz those are great and fun with awesome rewards......

Dits

Greatest patch in the history of patches just for this

BbtgoatCEAAGG6n.jpg:large

Cmagus

Pharos Sirius is a pretty awesome dungeon. It was pretty challenging as well and Siren was an interesting fight. Oh an incase anyone was wondering the dungeon gives 100 Philo and 50 Myth.

frequency

I would rather there be more PvP modes than tournaments or whatever. All of 2 people would use tournaments.

It would be more interesting to have more modes like all the Battleground types in WoW.

But before all that, they need to make PvP an actual viable and competitive thing to do. I admit I am speaking too soon but it's not looking good so far. And locking essential PvP abilities behind PvP currency is quite dumb and when combined with PvP equipment creates such a huge mountain to overcome for new players, many will just be turned off forever.

It's OK now since no one has that advantage. It won't be OK later.

All signs of this entire thing point to Square being completely clueless about PvP. They have a long way to go if they want this to be more than a joke.

Kintaro

I find Yoshida's stance on the FC housing simply childish. Adjusting prices based on an exceptional few is asinine. Not to mention is actively punishes legacy players as whole when they are your most loyal of customers! They stuck with you through the shitstorm that was 1.x!

I'm taken aback at how absolutely stupid this is. Why are you concerned about players buying up plots when one FC should only be allowed to have one plot of land? How is something so simple, so hard for him to understand?

I think lower of him after this statement than before. I appreciate being open but, in this case, I would have preferred to assume he was not this naive. This is Tanaka level bullshit. Actually, no. This is worse. Because at least XI gave us Mog House from the get go.

I would rather there be more PvP modes than tournaments or whatever. All of 2 people would use tournaments.

It would be more interesting to have more modes like all the Battleground types in WoW.

But before all that, they need to make PvP an actual viable and competitive thing to do. I admit I am speaking too soon but it's not looking good so far. And locking essential PvP abilities behind PvP currency is quite dumb and when combined with PvP equipment creates such a huge mountain to overcome for new players, many will just be turned off forever.

It's OK now since no one has that advantage. It won't be OK later.

All signs of this entire thing point to Square being completely clueless about PvP. They have a long way to go if they want this to be more than a joke.

The story goes that outside of Yoshi, the team are all new to PvP design. Remember that FFXI has never had meaningful PvP. Yoshi himself was a high ranked player in DAoC but as Director/Producer he's not exactly hands on with the details of the game design process at that granular a level.

I expect PvP to be a joke for a long time. They didn't even realize a 30 second Sleep would be terribly unbalanced when anyone who has played PvP in every MMO ever knows that CCs are the most unbalancing things and must be looked at carefully.

I guess it still can't be as bad as Tera's PvP.

King_Moc

Banned
Think I might hop back on, had a month or so off as I was a bit burnt out on it. Have they given more ways to gain tombstones? Was getting pretty bored doing the same dungeons.

I find Yoshida's stance on the FC housing simply childish. Adjusting prices based on an exceptional few is asinine. Not to mention is actively punishes legacy players as whole when they are your most loyal of customers! They stuck with you through the shitstorm that was 1.x!

I'm taken aback at how absolutely stupid this is. Why are you concerned about players buying up plots when one FC should only be allowed to have one plot of land? How is something so simple, so hard for him to understand?

I think lower of him after this statement than before. I appreciate being open but, in this case, I would have preferred to assume he was not this naive. This is Tanaka level bullshit. Actually, no. This is worse. Because at least XI gave us Mog House from the get go.

The initial plan was to have FC plots of land form new instances when bought out so you would have multiple housing instances and land for all.

This all sounds like they couldn't get that concept to work and it's forced them to basically put crazy prices on land since there is not enough now to go around.

What this basically going to fuck over more than anyone is the guilds that do pay the high prices now and then they make stuff more affordable later?

WolvenOne

The initial plan was to have FC plots of land form new instances when bought out so you would have multiple housing instances and land for all.

This all sounds like they couldn't get that concept to work and it's forced them to basically put crazy prices on land since there is not enough now to go around.

What this basically going to fuck over more than anyone is the guilds that do pay the high prices now and then they make stuff more affordable later?

Eh, probably not. Although this is my first MMO, my understanding is that in most of these games, there's a tendency for currency to eventually become a non-issue, at least until they introduce various forms of currency sinks.

I expect the Big FC's will start buying up their homes in 2-3 weeks, will probably stay relatively poor for 3-4 weeks after that, as they sink money into furniture, then bounce back as the find more effective ways to farm, and as people continue pushing buttons the inject additional Gil into the games economy.

It, "does," Bite for smaller Guilds, and individuals, which is why I've said they should have focused on player housing first. However looking at past interviews I can understand why they didn't, even if I think it was ultimately a mistake.

Still, I'm not inclined to be too critical. I'll make it work the best I can, and it'll probably be fun either way. I'm certain the smaller guilds intent on Housing will figure it out too. It's not perfect, but it'll work.

Ferr986

Eh, probably not. Although this is my first MMO, my understanding is that in most of these games, there's a tendency for currency to eventually become a non-issue, at least until they introduce various forms of currency sinks.

I expect the Big FC's will start buying up their homes in 2-3 weeks, will probably stay relatively poor for 3-4 weeks after that, as they sink money into furniture, then bounce back as the find more effective ways to farm, and as people continue pushing buttons the inject additional Gil into the games economy.

It, "does," Bite for smaller Guilds, and individuals, which is why I've said they should have focused on player housing first. However looking at past interviews I can understand why they didn't, even if I think it was ultimately a mistake.

Still, I'm not inclined to be too critical. I'll make it work the best I can, and it'll probably be fun either way. I'm certain the smaller guilds intent on Housing will figure it out too. It's not perfect, but it'll work.

I dont think so. especially in legacy servers, where a small house cost a fortune even for a moderate FC. Theres no point for people to waste almost all their money in something it hasnt any utility.
They're not gonna lose much money from furnitures because, if they can afford a house its because they have a lot of crafters (so yeah furniture marked isnt going to be much relevant IMO)

frequency

The story goes that outside of Yoshi, the team are all new to PvP design. Remember that FFXI has never had meaningful PvP. Yoshi himself was a high ranked player in DAoC but as Director/Producer he's not exactly hands on with the details of the game design process at that granular a level.

I expect PvP to be a joke for a long time. They didn't even realize a 30 second Sleep would be terribly unbalanced when anyone who has played PvP in every MMO ever knows that CCs are the most unbalancing things and must be looked at carefully.

I guess it still can't be as bad as Tera's PvP.

Full length CC is so ridiculous. PvP right now is just completely full of amateur decisions from people who clearly have not played PvP. Like Sprint being unchanged in PvP and available to everyone. So if Yoshida really does have DAoC experience, I would believe that Yoshida had no hand in this design and it was created by people who have no PvP experience.

Though, to be fair, many other games with decent PvP also started terrible. I consider WoW to have the best PvP in the genre and that started off as a mess too. It didn't start to get serious until an expansion in. Before that it was just a side activity with no real serious competitive play.

So something can still come of this over time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom