• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
I need to do Pharos before this nerf. It seems like everything challenging gets nerfed at some point or another >_>

Was Demon Wall nerfed at any point? I enjoyed the hectic feel of the fight last night, and while it was definitely challenging to keep moving and concentrate of the task at hand, it didnt feel unfair or some progression barrier.

Well Pharos left a bad taste in everyone's mouth from the start, DF parties mostly failed (lack of communication), the chest rewards were not balanced, the difficulty required to learn the mechanics, most gave up (frustrated)
So it was a snowball effect, 1 person not learning, getting pissed, told others not to do PS, so if PS came to be, people just left during PS intro or once in

They did lower DW's HP, the bees feel more squishy also, before it took forever to kill 1 bee
Better gear makes it way easier + with the nerf, you get roughly the wall to do 3 repels

back in the old days, if DPS wasn't top notch, you most likely got hit 5 repels,afterwards, no more, cause your in the poison pool

Be hilarious if 2.3 brings CT Floor 1/2/3 and the gear is below Turn 6-10 lol
Repeat the backasswards logic of gearing up

Sorian

Banned
Well, you have to look at it through the FFXIV filter.

New dungeons
- People will do them once then quit when they appear in lotto.
- What will they offer? Based on the previous dungeons, they offer very little lore and very few rewards.

Levi
- Obviously for story and such which is cool.
- What will EX offer?

Coil
- More Coil is good.
- Opening T1-5 just destroyed everything else. Why would I want to spend my time in dungeons and CT now, when I could spend my time learning and clearing Coil for better drops and preparing for T6-9?

Moggle Mog EX
- What could this possibly offer me after I beat it once.

Beast Dailies
- Wheee...

See, they are sort of poisoning their own content with the WoW style progression. Since there is nothing interesting on gear (JA Enhancements, etc) outside of Coil, why wouldn't I just...do Coil?

I appreciate the addition to content but because of how stupid they handle gear in this game, they cut themselves off at the knees before they even start. They need to start getting inventive with gear throughout all this content instead of centralizing it in one place.

Right now, I'm pinning my hopes on the story campaign being any sort of good.

You write down a pretty large list for a regular MMO update and then proceed to dismiss most of the list for personal reasons. There is plenty there and plenty to be enjoyed, it isn't anyone else's fault that you don't enjoy it or look forward to it.

WolvenOne

I hope that either the new HMs drop new good gear, or, a decent amount of the new Allagan tomes. Either would keep me running them on a fairly regular basis.

Pretty decent start on new content. Now all that need is two additional Primal Battles and they will have matched or surpassed the amount of content released for 2.1 Crossing my fingers for Ramah and Odin. Granted, they could supplement the content in different ways.

Also, might be nice to see Ultima Extreme. Wouldn't be surprised to see that saved for later though.

Sorian

Banned
Also, might be nice to see Ultima Extreme. Wouldn't be surprised to see that saved for later though.

This time the bard is drunk while telling the story.

"And then, hic, the ultima weapon shot 60 lasers at once while our valiant, hic, heroes were dodging the 36 airships falling from the sky. Oh! and Leviathan was there too!"

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
You write down a pretty large list for a regular MMO update and then proceed to dismiss most of the list for personal reasons. There is plenty there and plenty to be enjoyed, it isn't anyone else's fault that you don't enjoy it or look forward to it.

Personal reasons? Nope. When you take what is announced and view them through the prism of the fanbase, that's what you get. Look back through this very thread at people's experiences and you'll see many examples of this.

My thoughts are that I think their progression system is quite out of whack and trying to wrap your head around it will give you a headache. I don't think this is such a crazy opinion.

GraveRobberX

Did they mention if there will be any changes to Myth Tomes? Hoping for a small increase in the weekly cap if anything.

Dude 450 is a nice chunk of Myth, 2 weeks get you body or leg, or 1 week puts you close to head/hands/feet
The left over goes into accessories
I mean most jobs really share either 1/3rd myth & 2/3rd Allagan (Turn 1-5) or the opposite 2/3rd myth & 1/3rd Allagan (Turn 1-5) gear

If they bumped it to say 600 (going 300 > 450 > 600), there are already people @2,000 Myth that don't need anything for their jobs/class (they don't want to level other classes)
The only thing bumping the Myth cap is people to BIS (best in slot) for the old players, might be beneficial for newcomers, but the most a dungeon so far gives you is 50 Myth, the HM dungeons or CT
The roulette helps but you will have to them daily the whole week to reach cap
(Do an ungodly amount of WP SR LOL)

Teknoman

Well Pharos left a bad taste in everyone's mouth from the start, DF parties mostly failed (lack of communication), the chest rewards were not balanced, the difficulty required to learn the mechanics, most gave up (frustrated)
So it was a snowball effect, 1 person not learning, getting pissed, told others not to do PS, so if PS came to be, people just left during PS intro or once in

They did lower DW's HP, the bees feel more squishy also, before it took forever to kill 1 bee
Better gear makes it way easier + with the nerf, you get roughly the wall to do 3 repels

back in the old days, if DPS wasn't top notch, you most likely got hit 5 repels,afterwards, no more, cause your in the poison pool

Be hilarious if 2.3 brings CT Floor 1/2/3 and the gear is below Turn 6-10 lol
Repeat the backasswards logic of gearing up

Hmm well hopefully i'll be able to get a party together to at least give a decent first time shot.

On that note, I wish people would be more understanding in the event of a full Duty Finder party. Dont flip out or run away if someone is new there.

WolvenOne

The progression system is fine.

You get to 50, run AK and WP until you have Dark light. Once you have Dark light you're fine for CT. With one or two pieces of CT gear, you can useually start getting into Coil runs, and by them you should have enough Tomes to start buying AF2 pieces as well.

The progression system was a bit odd in 2.0, but that was largely the net result of Crystal Tower being delayed very late in development. Once it and level 80 gear was reintroduced, everything clicked together fine.

Sorian

Banned
Personal reasons? Nope. When you take what is announced and view them through the prism of the fanbase, that's what you get. Look back through this very thread at people's experiences and you'll see many examples of this.

/shrug

I've got no sympathy for people that rush content/do something once and say "cool! never again!"

Mupod

So I take it 'new allagan tomestones' means there will be a new tier for the next level of AF gear? No reason to hoard myth tomes then, I'll spend them on my DRG.

desu

I still agree with him, for people raiding there will be new coil levels and Moogle/Levi Ex and that's it (and whatever they haven't announced). If the current patch is anything to go by that means primals on farm within a few days and depending on how much they fuck up coil (thinking of original Twisters), a few weeks of coil. Then wait for 2.3 in Summer.

Looking at 2.1, I've did all the new content less than 3 times (HM dungeons, Moogle) because there is no reason to. CT a bit more but mostly only for FC. Dailies are ... well you get a mount for them and I am happy to get rid of them in one week. PVP is/was a trainwreck.

Best thing of 2.1 were Treasure Maps, wish they would spend more time on this (as party content). I guess this wouldn't work for the casual crowd but I would enjoy small NM like battles with special mechanics etc that are actually challenging, with rare pops etc.

I guess we don't know what will drop from the new HM dungeons, but depending on how farmable coil will be with the patch, there probably will be no reason to run them more than once (unless they also drop the new tomes). Which is sad because the new Amdapor dungeon looks really great.

/shrug

I've got no sympathy for people that rush content/do something once and say "cool! never again!"

I guess different people are looking for different things? I like to hang out with people and do stupid shit, but I am also looking for challanges (which usually is the endgame).

Aeana

It'd sure be nice if they added new tiers of treasure maps that actually had hard battles. I was hoping peisteskin maps would actually require 8 people and be difficult, but it's not even close.

gatti-man

Well, you have to look at it through the FFXIV filter.

New dungeons
- People will do them once then quit when they appear in lotto.
- What will they offer? Based on the previous dungeons, they offer very little lore and very few rewards.

Levi
- Obviously for story and such which is cool.
- What will EX offer?

Coil
- More Coil is good.
- Opening T1-5 just destroyed everything else. Why would I want to spend my time in dungeons and CT now, when I could spend my time learning and clearing Coil for better drops and preparing for T6-9?

Moggle Mog EX
- What could this possibly offer me after I beat it once.

Beast Dailies
- Wheee...

See, they are sort of poisoning their own content with the WoW style progression. Since there is nothing interesting on gear (JA Enhancements, etc) outside of Coil, why wouldn't I just...do Coil?

I appreciate the addition to content but because of how stupid they handle gear in this game, they cut themselves off at the knees before they even start. They need to start getting inventive with gear throughout all this content instead of centralizing it in one place.

Right now, I'm pinning my hopes on the story campaign being any sort of good.

Bc coil doesn't guarantee gear at all. Been doing Coil for months and I have 1 drop.

Sorian

Banned
I still agree with him, for people raiding there will be new coil levels and Moogle/Levi Ex and that's it (and whatever they haven't announced). If the current patch is anything to go by that means primals on farm within a few days and depending on how much they fuck up coil (thinking of original Twisters), a few weeks of coil. Then wait for 2.3 in Summer.

Looking at 2.1, I've did all the new content less than 3 times (HM dungeons, Moogle) because there is no reason to. CT a bit more but mostly only for FC. Dailies are ... well you get a mount for them and I am happy to get rid of them in one week. PVP is/was a trainwreck.

Best thing of 2.1 were Treasure Maps, wish they would spend more time on this (as party content). I guess this wouldn't work for the casual crowd but I would enjoy small NM like battles with special mechanics etc that are actually challenging, with rare pops etc.

I guess we don't know what will drop from the new HM dungeons, but depending on how farmable coil will be with the patch, there probably will be no reason to run them more than once (unless they also drop the new tomes). Which is sad because the new Amdapor dungeon looks really great.

I guess different people are looking for different things? I like to hang out with people and do stupid shit, but I am also looking for challanges (which usually is the endgame).

IMO, the real issue is that a lot of people run things for the reward at the end and not for the actual content. Now, I'm not saying go run pharos 20 times because its all about the journey or something like that but the people that hop into duty roulette, see that they got pharos, and then vote abandon or leave or whatever they do are looking at things the wrong way. In terms of challenge, I think thats going to end up being different for each person. I feel that I have my part in titan EM down perfectly but I've been unable to find a competent group to follow through all the way which has left me hanging, same with T4. I haven't gotten to do ifrit or T5 because of this but the point is some people are still hitting roadblocks (whether they should or shouldn't be is another story).

neoism

so guys would anyone be meh friend Im not really close to end game but have a month to get there and will... still really sad.... I really didn't know archer goes to bard... lol I wasn't sure about the job system so read up and lol I was hoping there was a sniper like class or something... but at least the bard looks cool.... But about the land classes or whatever its called. Can I get to 50 for everyone of them... like blacksmith fisherman etc etc...

But looks like I will make a bard and a monk.... never been a fan of heal classes...

I like the game a lot though looks fucking amazing on my system with sweetfx... only think I really dislike is the warp system and gil lol. Plus I'm still really confused about how to get to some quests... but once I'm level 50 with ok gear I'd love to play with some of you gaffers...

Gilgamesh
Level 24 Archer
Taeyeon Ism

also do you get your rewards for getting like 90 day sub as soon as it starts or once its over.... I got that hand minion and that pot for changing your character... I really want that ff6 mount :p
I'm still a noob but hopefully at level 50 I'll know what I'm doing... and can play with some of you guys...

so guys would anyone be meh friend Im not really close to end game but have a month to get there and will... still really sad.... I really didn't know archer goes to bard... lol I wasn't sure about the job system so read up and lol I was hoping there was a sniper like class or something... but at least the bard looks cool.... But about the land classes or whatever its called. Can I get to 50 for everyone of them... like blacksmith fisherman etc etc...

But looks like I will make a bard and a monk.... never been a fan of heal classes...

I like the game a lot though looks fucking amazing on my system with sweetfx... only think I really dislike is the warp system and gil lol. Plus I'm still really confused about how to get to some quests... but once I'm level 50 with ok gear I'd love to play with some of you gaffers...

Gilgamesh
Level 24 Archer
Taeyeon Ism

also do you get your rewards for getting like 90 day sub as soon as it starts or once its over.... I got that hand minion and that pot for changing your character... I really want that ff6 mount :p
I'm still a noob but hopefully at level 50 I'll know what I'm doing... and can play with some of you guys...
I was really hoping you'd be on Ultros, as I'm exactly the same level. Thought I found me a questing buddy.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Yeah, I'm starting to really like Bane on SMN. I need to be careful, though, as I seem to pull aggro sometimes when using it. It's not horrible, but I don't want to be a nuisance for the tank. Looking forward to getting Fester and Garuda down the road. Kinda relaxing going DPS, tossing a few other random abilities on the side as needed.

Also noticed that Brayflox's Longpost is a lot easier as DPS. Just gotta know the mechanics and blow things up. Hoping to steamroll to 35 today and try out Qarn. Watched a video of the place, and the mechanics look interesting. Can't wait to run for platforms only to have them switch on me at the last second! =p

Aeana

Bane shouldn't be causing the tank trouble. They just need to keep up with their AoE aggro skills. They need to do it anyway to prevent the healer peeling enemies off in the first place.

aceface

:/ too many servers I heard Gilgamesh was good soo picked it lol :p

Most gaffers are on Ultros and Sargatanas but I think there may be a few on Gilgamesh. You get the the FF6 magitek mount for beating the main story at level 50. The subscriber rewards you get as soon as your payment goes through for the appropriate month. So, prepay for 90 days and you'll get the 30, 60, and 90 day rewards all at once. If you pay a month at a time you'll get the 30 day reward at the beginning of your first month, the 60 day ones at the beginning of your second, etc.

WolvenOne

So, for a couple questions about oddities in some recent Titan Ex runs.

1st oddity. I was standing on the edge Tanking Titan, when when he decided to do Triple Landslides right at me face. What could cause that? Does that sort of thing happen often?

2nd oddity. Right before the Heart Phase, when it was my turn to provoke Titan, despite Titan being selected, the provoke instead went to the Stone Jail the healer was in, far behind me, the one that wasn't even on my screen at the time.

The reason that strikes me as odd, is because you're not supposed to be able to tab to targets off your screen. Is this not always the case?

Ken

1st oddity. I was standing on the edge Tanking Titan, when when he decided to do Triple Landslides right at me face. What could cause that? Does that sort of thing happen often?

That usually happens when the other tank provokes too early and tries to run to you, making you an eligible target of the landslide. Or the other tank was the queued up target, and he stays on it even after provoke. Regardless it's caused by weird tank swaps. To prevent that I usually provoke during the landslide, but some people get hasty and provoke right as they see two stacks.

WolvenOne

That usually happens when the other tank provokes too early and tries to run to you, making you an eligible target of the landslide. Or the other tank was the queued up target, and he stays on it even after provoke. Regardless it's caused by weird tank swaps. To prevent that I usually provoke during the landslide, but some people get hasty and provoke right as they see two stacks.

Ah, probably my fault then. The other tank had just barely rejoined the rest of the party, so it was probably just too early. Doing the voke during the land slides is probably a good idea. I could've survived it if I had used Holmgang, but I was so surprised by it that I didn't react in time for that.

Provoking during landslides would probably prevent mistargeting as well. That sort of thing usually happens when I'm trying to do to much, such as DPSing rocks while waiting for my chance to rush in the tank position.

Still a little perplexed how I could've tabbed to a target off my screen though.

Edit : best explanation I can think of, is that either it wasnt entirely off my screen, or that the tab didn't register correctly. If it's the latter, well, guess that's another reason to be looking for a replacement for my 360 controller.

Aeana

Yeah provoking during landslides is best. You need to keep in mind that stacks only accumulate with mountain busters, and he doesn't do two consecutively, so it's okay to wait for a good time to swap.

WolvenOne

Yeah provoking during landslides is best. You need to keep in mind that stacks only accumulate with mountain busters, and he doesn't do two consecutively, so it's okay to wait for a good time to swap.

Seems like, with a team that has sufficient DPS for heart, its useually two mountain busters, before Stomp+Landslides.

So, yeah, that may change in a team with low DPS, but as a rule of thumb that seems smart.

Aeana

Seems like, with a team that has sufficient DPS for heart, its useually two mountain busters, before Stomp+Landslides.

So, yeah, that may change in a team with low DPS, but as a rule of thumb that seems smart.
Huh? There are no cases where you will get two mountain busters in a row. If you're counting phase transitions, then those are also perfect times to swap.

Mupod

Before the final phase, you can always swap during landslide. I've done a lot of titan and I've never seen otherwise.

During the final phase I'm usually on adds, and in that case I just grab him ASAP when adds are dead. If DPS is slow that might mean a messy transition where both tanks eat mountain buster, but that's preferable to a dead tank. 3 stack mountain buster is survivable, but if he's still on you after that you'll take a 1-2k autoattack which is probably death unless hallowed ground is up.

Aeana

Before the final phase, you can always swap during landslide. I've done a lot of titan and I've never seen otherwise.

During the final phase I'm usually on adds, and in that case I just grab him ASAP when adds are dead. If DPS is slow that might mean a messy transition where both tanks eat mountain buster, but that's preferable to a dead tank. 3 stack mountain buster is survivable, but if he's still on you after that you'll take a 1-2k autoattack which is probably death unless hallowed ground is up.
Instances like that are a great time for your monk to use mantra, if you have one. <3 Everybody should have a monk!

Noi

Just got delivered in the mail!

onixsunblade01_25_201nbsmr.png
Gotta wait for Vanity now so I can have it on permanently.

gatti-man

Running DF for the past few days, there's no way 90% of the people I have met could survive Turn 1 Coil DF.

Yeah the Avg skill in this game is not enough for ex primals or anything past 2nd turn of coil. 1st turn really if you take away the enrage method.

GraveRobberX

Running DF for the past few days, there's no way 90% of the people I have met could survive Turn 1 Coil DF.

That's why Echo Buffs are being added

Most Coil Groups will make it farm status within a few weeks, it's the rest of the community that will try to catch up

I have seen some Turn 1 groups that will make you want to quit
I had to tell someone every goddamn move, cause they were eating everything from ADS

It's High Voltage > Repelling Cannon > Lasers, repeat till you get it down

They didn't have to worry about HV, but RC and Lasers, couldn't dodge for shit
I was MT so I had to baby this person through every step, I mean I understand if you are brand new and don't know about it, but if this your 4th Coil week and still suck, COME THE FUCK ON!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom