• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadRNG

So it looks like the turn 2 buffs and turn 5 nerfs weren't intentional, and are gonna be hotfixed as soon as they get a chance.

Source
Reddit thread with translation

From the sound of it though we might be seeing them come back in 2.2.
How do you accidentally remove a lot of mob's HP, remove an enrage timer, and on another increase damage output? There weren't any changes in Coil beyond this, what were they editing in there to begin with?

Didn't they also say that changing Dark Devices was also an unintentional "bug"? That has still never been fixed? It's like they're afraid to admit they stealth change stuff.

A solution for?
Everyone in GAF fails their biology tests.

How do you accidentally remove a lot of mob's HP, remove an enrage timer, and on another increase damage output? There weren't any changes in Coil beyond this, what were they editing in there to begin with?

Didn't they also say that changing Dark Devices was also an unintentional "bug"? That has still never been fixed? It's like they're afraid to admit they stealth change stuff.

If you read further, they say that the t5 changes were intended for 2.2 but they went live by mistake.

Tash

In big development teams you have separate teams working on different parts of the game. Code has to be committed to a central server and it's very easy to commit too much code or the wrong one to the wrong build. Which is what happened here. The changes were being worked on as part of 2.2. For all we know, they might not even go live as such. Someone, somewhere pressed a button too fast. It happens.

Naar

They are adding new gear available through crafting to 'bridge the gap' I think, so maybe there will be alternatives? Just bring your stuff to Bara and let him expend his blood and sweat for 0 gil.

I actually tried aoe skill yesterday on PS3, and did not get the mouse cursor going on at all. Someone earlier already suggested you check in settings, no? From the patch notes:

Just check if you have Locked to Cursor selected, and if you do switch it to something else or turn it off.

Man trust me, its happening to everyone using a PS3. 1/2 my FC is PS3 players and they all got the cursor. I even asked on different LS's and got same response.

And those 2 options dont get rid of the mouse cursor. It also pops up when you move pet as well. But like i said, the virtual mouse takes care of the problem for now

BadRNG

If you read further, they say that the t5 changes were intended for 2.2 but they went live by mistake.
I ain't got time to read! Got things to do, groups to wipe. That makes more sense, but still a bit confusing if the original plan (and presumably current one given recent interview) was to only add echo buff rather than nerfing actual mechanics.

I do hope they keep the dive icon change when/if they do a rollback on other changes. That one was actually pretty fair. I know a few people who had to disable all other spell effects to see it during second set, which kind of sucks. It kind of meshes with the enhanced visibility of the new aoe markers too.

orion434

Just noticed that I am 1/2 finished with most of the "Twin Adder" Achievements. I wish I capitalized on the Supply / Provision missions before I had all Crafting classes to lv 50.

I have my PS4 all ready with a Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB SSD drive. Early access is 4-11 right? That's 49 days...

Wilsongt

Well, I still enjoy healing in CT, so I will keep running CT if only for the philos. *folds arms*

I've barely played my SMN lately until it was failed attempts against Ruru EX or for a map. ;.; My Scholar is growing on me... I just need better gear to boost my mind since all of my points are in INT.

edgefusion

As an i90 Monk, what should I be parsing on Twintania? My DPS seems incredibly low but I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I've watched guides and understand how Monks work, I do my flank and rear rotations, keep my dots up, apply buffs when possible but I hear about Monks doing 300+ dps on Twin which is so far off where I am. I'm really lost and feel like I'm not getting the DPS out of this class that I should be for the amount of work it takes.

Server downtime so, a couple of questions:

1. having hit lvl 30 today: should I switch to a job or keep piling levels for my Arcanist?
  2. I'm kinda fed of spamming ruin with my ACN: which one is more fun to play between scholar and summoner?

Tash

emergency maintenance - Coil fixes is my bet.

1. having hit lvl 30 today: should I switch to a job or keep piling levels for my Arcanist?
  2. I'm kinda fed of spamming ruin with my ACN: which one is more fun to play between scholar and summoner?

choose a job :)
Arcanist will automatically level with your job.

SCH = healer
SMN = damage

pick your poison (or dots in this case)

Both are fun though :) It just really depends if you want to heal or deal damage.

Sophia

You will be expected to have a job past level 30, so don't delay there. I've seen the normally friendly playerbase get very nasty to someone who doesn't have a job in group content.

Scholar is a healer, so you won't be spamming ruin. Summoner is a DPS, which is basically a continuation of what you've been doing, but with cooler pets and new abilities. The class itself is what levels, so ideally you should consider getting both jobs as getting one to level 50 means you have both at level 50.

Also you shouldn't be spamming Ruin anyhow. You're a DoT (Damage Over Time) based class, and should be rotating such abilities on all possible targets. Ruin is only for when you don't have anything else to do or need direct damage.

aceface

1.Switch to a job. As arcanist you can raise Summoner and Scholar simultaneously. Because of point allocation you can only focus on one (put all points in mind for scholar and in int for summoner) but for anything before endgame you can do either and you get two nifty sets of AF gear.
2. Depends, do you like healing or dpsing more? Also, dps for arcanist and summoner is not really about spamming ruin but making sure your dots are up. Also, summoner has some utility as a dps class. You can also do raises and weak cures to help your party, which other dps classes can't. So, you might like that.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
You can also do raises and weak cures to help your party, which other dps classes can't. So, you might like that.

Hey now, I've solo-healed a boss fight as a black mage before when the healer died.
Yes the heal is from Arcanist in the first place, but hey!

Edit: Woops double post. Whatever happened to deleting these things?

BadRNG

1. Job is better then class in most situations, except maybe PvP or odd clear strats. It's generally encouraged to unlock your available jobs asap. You get extra stats just for switching, and of course there are the 5 exclusive job skills. The main thing you lose is access to larger pool of cross class skills, but the other benefits make up for it (with few exceptions I listed)
2. Whynotboth.jpg

Jobs are more like equipment then real separate classes, so ACN will be leveled regardless of whether or not you have SCH or SMN active at the moment. With this in mind, it's a good idea to unlock both. You can stick to SMN while solo since it's a DPS class and will kill faster, but can go SCH for faster groups as healer or just for change of pace. Each have their own quest line too every 5 levels, which means more easy exp since it's shared bar.

Ruin spam after you got your dots up will always be kind of bread and butter, just to note. At 35 you can Fester on SMN though, which gives nice burst and makes solo killing a lot faster.

I've been playing nothing but healer in my last MMOs so I'll try some DPS this time. Summoner It is.

Thanks for the answers guys and yes I've been a good ACN until now spamming dots teheheh

Number45

Turn off automatic lock on. That means your targeting cursor should NOT look like this:
1e50acf08461e355e3e5d4736391ba3f787720f1_29.png

If you don't have that, you should be able to move any way you want. Even with that lock on it's possible to strafe.

If you're playing thaumaturge/conjurer/arcanist though, you aren't supposed to be moving while casting.
Thanks, I'll give it a try later. Playing archer at the moment, it just seems natural to be moving - the only abilities I have so far are instant cast.

aceface

Hey now, I've solo-healed a boss fight as a black mage before when the healer died.
Yes the heal is from Arcanist in the first place, but hey!

Edit: Woops double post. Whatever happened to deleting these things?

Oh yeah, forgot that blm gets physik. They can't raise though, right?

SCH does more damage with the DoTs than SMN thanks to Cleric Stance. This is offset by pets and Fester obviously but you get the idea.

I'm not too fond of Summoners but then again I'm biased as fuck.

Just got to outside the Ifrit dungeon before logging for maintenance. Really looking forward to it as I've had a blast in the dungeons so far.

I'm so impressed with how they've turned this game around. I haven't played since 1.0 and the changes are just astounding.

Wilsongt

Nope. Swiftcast battle-raise is all Summoner. I'm always sad when I see a summoner in party whos trying to help by raising, but casting it normally :(

That should really be the only time smn's use Swiftcast... Good summoners keep Ruru alive and cast Shadow flare normally.

Then again, good healers shouldn't die. =P

SCH does more damage with the DoTs than SMN thanks to Cleric Stance. This is offset by pets and Fester obviously but you get the idea.

I'm not too fond of Summoners but then again I'm biased as fuck.

Not necessarily. While Cleric Stance only switches Int/Mind, Raging Strikes actually boosts Int for SMNs. Though, SCH's do have one extra DoT that SMNs don't, so maybe it works out. Summons also have one two extra pet cool downs that SCH's don't.

Stuart444

Just got to outside the Ifrit dungeon before logging for maintenance. Really looking forward to it as I've had a blast in the dungeons so far.

I'm so impressed with how they've turned this game around. I haven't played since 1.0 and the changes are just astounding.

It's not exactly a dungeon but it is a fun battle if it's your first time. Have fun with it :)

Raging Strikes actually boosts Int for SMNs.

Is that a recommended Cross-class skill for SMNs?

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
It's not exactly a dungeon but it is a fun battle if it's your first time. Have fun with it :)

Can't wait for my friends jumping in on the PS4 beta assuming it ends at Ifrit. I know that fight blew my mind the first time.

And yes. Hell pretty much anyone who can use it should have Raging Strikes.

Not necessarily. While Cleric Stance only switches Int/Mind, Raging Strikes actually boosts Int for SMNs. Though, SCH's do have one extra DoT that SMNs don't, so maybe it works out. Summons also have one two extra pet cool downs that SCH's don't.
You're forgetting that Cleric Stance increases the potency of all offensive spells by 10%.

Like I said, I'm talking solely DoTs. I'd rather just have an extra SCH using CS while their pet supports with stuff than having a SMN in my party, but that's just me.
Raging Strikes is one of the best cross class skills you can get as DPS. If you can use it, do so.

Absolutely yes.

Any DoT you apply to a target with raging strikes on will make it cause more damage over the entire life of the DoT. Using this with Garuda's Contagion ability that extends the length of dots by 15 seconds can give you a noticeable dps boost.

Stuart444

Awesome, not started an archer yet but will do so soon. My Arcanist just got to level 15 last night so with dungeons, I should be at level 30 within a week of casual dungeon runs :p.

Stuart444

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/...-HotFixes-(Feb.-4-2014)?p=1889834#post1889834

The following issues have been addressed:

- An issue in “The Binding Coil of Bahamut – Turn 2” wherein the ADS’s usage interval of its AoE attack “Object 199” is too short.
- An issue in “The Binding Coil of Bahamut – Turn 5” wherein if Twintania is unable to attack its main target, it will attack the target next highest in enmity.
- An issue wherein the cross hotbar may not switch over smoothly.

Zomba13

I was about to go and do a CT run before dinner after not feeling like it all week and there is emergency maint. :(

SE just don't want me getting pretty clothes for my SCH. :(

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Bought this before they redid it as RR, can I still get free game time since ive never played the game?

BadRNG

The following issues have been addressed:

- An issue in “The Binding Coil of Bahamut – Turn 5” wherein if Twintania is unable to attack its
Hmmm? They only rolled back the conflag threat thing?

What about the divebomb icon and snake/conflag HP? (The much bigger change) Quick, to the streams!

They posted an official translation on the source of the turn2/conflag bug by the way:
http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/147137-T5-Nerfed?p=1890031#post1890031

Wilsongt

You're forgetting that Cleric Stance increases the potency of all offensive spells by 10%.

Like I said, I'm talking solely DoTs. I'd rather just have an extra SCH using CS while their pet supports with stuff than having a SMN in my party, but that's just me.

Raging Strikes is one of the best cross class skills you can get as DPS. If you can use it, do so.

You, sir/madam, make me sad, as well as my Egis.

:(

WolvenOne

Glad to hear the issue with toggling crossbars on controllers is fixed. It was something I was able to work around yesterday, but it did get a little distracting after awhile. :p

As soon as I'm done with Ifrit I've got to get serious about Twintania, I'd really like to down Twin before the nerf. I wonder when in march 2.2 hits, hmm.

Wilsongt

Don't blame me, blame Square for not giving Summoners a clear, meaningful identiy :X

Maybe when they raise the level cap and get new skills.

Our job is to do everyone else's job: We can tank with Carby/Titan, we can heal with Physicks/Sch, we can DoTs, we can melee with Ifrit, we can slow with Shadow Flare...

We're the jack of trades. Boom.

Aeana

Don't blame me, blame Square for not giving Summoners a clear, meaningful identiy :X

Maybe when they raise the level cap and get new skills.
But you're discounting the summoner's pet, fester, and shadow flare. A healer already has lots of time when they have nothing to do in most cases, so adding another one who might be better at DoTs but still doesn't have anywhere near the total DPS potential of a summoner makes no sense.

BadRNG

I thought doing extremely good dps was their identity. (Often considered either best or second best in the game, depending on fight.)

Cleric stance healers do surprisingly good damage, just like tanks can out of tank stances, but they don't have the total kit to match a real dps.

Tash

Hmmm? They only rolled back the conflag threat thing?

What about the divebomb icon and snake/conflag HP? (The much bigger change) Quick, to the streams!

They posted an official translation on the source of the turn2/conflag bug by the way:
http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/147137-T5-Nerfed?p=1890031#post1890031

I am confused too. I am 100% sure we downed them way faster than the night before and had no troubles with the snakes for once. I wouldn't mind if they keep the bigger icons. They were really hard to see sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom