• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I'm reading that the game is alt unfriendly? Is this true? You still can't trade between characters?

I was thinking about making 2-3 characters. I understand why it makes sense to just go with one character, you can play as all classes with one character.

Kenai

I'm reading that the game is alt unfriendly? Is this true? You still can't trade between characters?

I was thinking about making 2-3 characters. I understand why it makes sense to just go with one character, you can play as all classes with one character.

Yea, you can't send things to your own alts through mail, and whatever you do on one toon you'll have to do all over again on another. The only reason I'd ever suggest making a second character is to either see the very beginning of the story in other starting areas since it's different depending on your city state, or to play on an entirely different server.

On the flip side, they make it so you can do most things you'd ever realistically want to do possible on a single character.

tenchir

I'm ready!

20140221_214418.jpg

Astra

Myself and the two I play with are all going to restart so we can be on Ultros and join up with some gaffers sometime. Good thing we are all still very early.

Congrats Kirito on the win!

And in other news, I forsee another bloody purge by Maple to account for all the incoming PS4 players in the near future.

What are the basic BRD rotations?

I don't know what is absolutely perfect but this is just what I do. This will be a long post but maybe some other aspiring bards will also find it useful.

Basically the idea in one to two (sometimes three if they have so much hp that AOE would just be a waste of TP) enemy encounters is to keep Straight Shot buff up and keep the DOTs up, while using Bloodletter and any buffs as they come off of cooldown.

Start off with...

Quelling Strikes (if necessary. never hurts to use it but the cooldown is long)
Raging Strikes
Straight Shot
Internal Release
Viper
Bloodletter (and from now on just use Bloodletter or Misery's End whenever available between GCD attacks)
Windbite
Blood for Blood

Now DOT the other enemies (if there are any) while still weaving in buffs.

Once you have that you will be using your filler ability Heavy Shot (and again, use Bloodletter and whatever buffs are available ASAP in between Heavy Shots) until one of the following happens, in order of importance:

Straight Shot buff wears off. Use Straight Shot ASAP!

A DOT is about to expire. Make it your priority to refresh your DOTs when they are both still up but the lowest one is at about 1-2 seconds left.

Heavy Shot grants you a Straighter Shot buff. This one is obvious but one important thing to remember is that just because you got a Straighter Shot, if using it means you're putting off refreshing your DOTs, then just ignore Straight Shot until you have the DOTs back up. DOTs > Straighter Shot

That leaves a few other abilities that I haven't mentioned that are useful!

Flaming Arrow: Just use it when it's up and you want a little more damage.

Blunt Arrow: Use this when it's up (but buffs, Bloodletter, etc should take priority). IMPORTANT NOTE: This is your silence ability! If you're in an encounter where you need to be silencing something (Hydra, ADS, those maidens in Amdapor Keep that try to hit you with Thunder III on you when you get tired of waiting for the tank to pull and decide to just do it yourself, etc), don't use it carelessly!

Repelling Shot: Use it when it's up in situations where it won't get you killed, because it WILL GET YOU KILLED. I've flipped into the purple wall during Twintania, off the edge during Demon Wall, and nearly off the arena during Titan. It's also possible to flip into another group of enemies if you are in tight spaces, flip into an AOE, flip out of your fireball soak group during conflags... The ways this skill can kill you and your party are amazing. That said, it's just more free damage if you're in close enough to use it. Plus it looks awesome.

For AOE (3 or more enemies) I'm not as worried about exact strategy for because right now bard is pretty random when it comes to AOE. Just buff, Straight Shot, buff, Wide Volley, Bloodletter, Wide Volley (unless you got a proc for a free AOE), buff, repeat...

Invigorate is going to be your friend when AOEing, and maybe Army's Paeon too if you get really unlucky on free AOE procs.

The moment that there are no longer at least 3 enemies, switch over to small encounter mode. DOT the enemies if they have a lot of health left or just Heavy Shot if they'll die in a few hits.

I'm probably forgetting something, but I think that's about it. Yeah! I wrote a lot about the easiest class!

Edit: Here's what I was forgetting. Some undergeared or just bad tanks will not be able to handle it when you DOT all the enemies, but this only happens very rarely to me now. You might get aggro. It's not your fault. Just let the tank get the mob back and play at their pace if they can't hold aggro on all the mobs (you might be overgeared compared to them)

Tabris

Did the Square Enix PS4 developers not try playing this on a TV from a normal couch distance? I can barely read anything and I cannot change the chat window or dialogue window size.

Did the Square Enix PS4 developers not try playing this on a TV from a normal couch distance? I can barely read anything and I cannot change the chat window or dialogue window size.

It is very small.

You can change the font size of the chat window, by clicking on the cog symbol below the chat window and adjusting the font size in the Chat Window settings.

Can't see a way to adjust the font size of anything else though.

Edit: You can also adjust the size of individual HUD components in the HUD Layout option under System in the Main Menu. Adjusting the size of a component causes the font size to increase accordingly.

Vhalyar

Tanking in general is much easier than 11. once you have hate its very hard to lose it (unless you are really really bad)

And not until stuff much later in endgame (garuda ex for example) is where you really need to pay attention as a tank and know how hate management works in the game

Threat is a lot easier in general, but Paladins aren't honestly as fun to play as they were in 1.0; I'm not going to call them braindead or anything (I'm a DRG, the irony would drown the thread) but they're very simplified compared to before.

Cheers! I'm hoping it's still a fun role though?

Guess I'll find out as soon as the game finishes downloading on Steam.

Spent yesterday and today afternoon getting 15 levels in thaumaturge to unlock summoner. 10 minutes ago I finally reach level 15, teleport to limsa lominsa and the game crashes. Restart the client and the game keeps crashing. Validate game files with steam and I have 45 files to download. Cool, I guess I'll have a few minutes to wait then. Steam starts downloading 8GB.

At least I met Lighting yesterday.

So is switching to the Steam client as easy as purchasing, downloading and then entering my Squenix ID to logon as my character?

Yes.

And if you only had the ps3 version you also get a free month.

Kenai

As a summoner I would actually recommend taking THM all the way to 26 for the cross-class skill Swiftcast. Offers a ton of utility.

Agreed. Swiftcast is pretty much mandatory for casters in endgame content, it's too important. Boring to get to 26 but so worth it once you do.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Agreed. Swiftcast is pretty much mandatory for casters in endgame content, it's too important. Boring to get to 26 but so worth it once you do.

That is the annoying thing about THM/BLM, is that the rotation is pretty stale until the mid 30s when you start getting more of your abilities/procs/etc.

I hope the same thing happens to ARC/BRD since I'm leveling mine for quelling strikes for my BLM and right now I'm rather bored to say the least.

Isaccard

That is the annoying thing about THM/BLM, is that the rotation is pretty stale until the mid 30s when you start getting more of your abilities/procs/etc.

I hope the same thing happens to ARC/BRD since I'm leveling mine for quelling strikes for my BLM and right now I'm rather bored to say the least.

Archer is pretty boring until you've got all the cross class skills, and River of Blood. Then it's just crazy. Procs make any class fun.

Tabris

It is very small.

You can change the font size of the chat window, by clicking on the cog symbol below the chat window and adjusting the font size in the Chat Window settings.

Can't see a way to adjust the font size of anything else though.

Edit: You can also adjust the size of individual HUD components in the HUD Layout option under System in the Main Menu. Adjusting the size of a component causes the font size to increase accordingly.

You can't resize the chat window or the dialogue window in the HUD Layout option.

Noi

You can't resize the chat window or the dialogue window in the HUD Layout option.

For the chat window, you can resize it by clicking the top right corner with either the virtual mouse or the touchpad and dragging it. You click with the touchpad by double tapping the surface without actually pressing the "button" down. To move the whole window, do the same but on the general tab.

SOL on the actual NPC dialogue size though.

]blacky[;101860604 said:
Are you really sure?

I play on PS3 at the moment and used all the codes. Can I now purchase the STEAM-Version and get another month trial after my PS3-Trial has ended?
You just can't add the same platform twice, so if the only version you possess right now is PS3, you can buy the PC version and get 30 extra days.

Satch

Banned
hi im trying to make a character on the ps4 beta and i have a question

do the female characters serve "chain mail bikini" throughout the game

edit: nvm i found the ps4 thread ill ask there woops

zulfate

so ive been playing it and im having fun. i do have a couple of questions.

1.how do i obtain level 5 gear for a stupid quest? i tried buying at the market board but everything is too expensive for me.

2.i read a tip to not do side quests so that you can level alts faster, is this true?

i also ran into another GAF member, my name is krohm skullstone.

EDIT: also i have a gtx 580 and this game is killing (overheating) my video card at standard settings lol. not sure what i am doing wrong but i dont remember the beta running this badly.

Noi

so ive been playing it and im having fun. i do have a couple of questions.

1.how do i obtain level 5 gear for a stupid quest? i tried buying at the market board but everything is too expensive for me.

There's an NPC that sells level 5 gear right next to the guy that gives you that quest.

Congrats on dropping that bastard Twintania, Kirito.

Satch, to answer your question there are many fully covered female outfits, and most of the best sets are this way. There's very little "chain mail bikini" material in this game, which makes me happy because I hated that in Tera so goddamn much.

suzu

2.i read a tip to not do side quests so that you can level alts faster, is this true?

If you're way overleveled then you can just leave them for later classes.

The only lower level quests you should always keep up with is the story/main scenario quests (looks like a fiery ! icon) and your class quests.

I played for several hours this week after picking it up on a hunch. I'm very impressed with a lot of aspects of the game--the rotation of THM blows my mind, love the mechanics (at least at low levels), the game looks great and I can actually play it maxed on my computer at very good frame rates, and the UI looks gorgeous. I can deal with the grindy nature of the game a lot better than expected, and I can't wait to dive back in once my work week is done.

BadRNG

Satch, to answer your question there are many fully covered female outfits, and most of the best sets are this way. There's very little "chain mail bikini" material in this game, which makes me happy because I hated that in Tera so goddamn much.
Unless you're a healer. Short skirts/panties while guys wear long robes or pants. Granted it's not like that at every level of play, but there is definitely some, and the i90 healing gear proves SE is definitely not against doing that kind of stuff.

With vanity coming in 2.2 this won't ever be a major issue going forward though, so that's nice.

beat turn 1 and 2 today for first time,

got allagan ring of fending :D
Grats! :)

got allagan ring of fending :D
You bastid. :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom