• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noi

B0lwj97.jpg

That Gambler top hat on the left...

Are we gonna have to re-run Brayflox for new gear again

Things like that made me never do much End Game stuff in XI, nor camp those damn NM's.

Not everyone in end game is like that. Yes, in Party Finder - and if you hang around Mor Dhona - you will see some elite pros who are very alienating of others and like to be all "You die once, you get booted." But, I avoid those types of characters. I've only just started the Binding Coil (and have yet to tackle the extreme primals), but there are equally helpful and understanding players out there, who as long as you let them know you're new, won't look down their noses at you. In fact, they'll be willing to give advice and help.

Now, where I do find a lot of toxic player behavior is in Crystal Tower, but it's kind of expected. You have 24 different people coming together in that and you're gonna get all kinds of characters. It's very hit-or-miss; some runs you'll have a great alliance, but a lot of times, you'll have a mixed bag. And, you can get absolutely horrid party compositions. CT is the most casual of end game content, though (well, next to the daily beastmen tribe quests), so you are free to run it at your own pace. You don't have to dive through it everyday unless you want to.

My point is don't be too turned off by some of the elitists. Party Finder is also there for you to start your own parties, too; you can list it in the ad if newcomers are welcome, you're taking it nice and slow, you're going to watch cutscenes, etc. Take advantage of it! Chances are you'll get people who are looking for the exact type of group you're recruiting and will join you. And, of course, don't forget about your FC. Always give them a shout first.

Jinko

This isn't true at all. As long as you're willing to put the minimum amount of effort in, most groups won't care too much. Joining a good FC helps too.

Don't have the attitude of a defeatist, put some effort into learning the fights and your character, and you can pretty much do anything except Turn 5 without a coordinated group.

This isn't True either .. :S

Edit:- Although if you read what I said, I did mention getting a good group of people/FC will make a big difference. (finding that is easier said than done though)

Azrael

The amount of effort being put into these patches is really impressive. I count around 20 new creatures (including a couple reskins) in the trailer. That would have been considered worthy of an expansion pack for FFXI.

The amount of effort being put into these patches is really impressive. I count around 20 new creatures (including a couple reskins) in the trailer. That would have been considered worthy of an expansion pack for FFXI.

they had to work on something substantial since launch. all we got so far were updates where you couldn't progress further with your main char. mainly quality of life stuff and things that needed finishing touches, but should have been ready for launch. it was long overdue.

They have said that they aren't doing traditional expansion packs anymore for FFXIV. Instead we'll get these content patches on a 3-month cadence. However I wonder if this claim will hold up when it's time to add new zones, I could see them doing mini-expansions periodically like what Guild Wars does when that sort of content is added.

Edit:- Although if you read what I said, I did mention getting a good group of people/FC will make a big difference. (finding that is easier said than done though)

arnold_not_sure_if_serious_gif.gif

WolvenOne

Between the new crafting items and vanity, I think the economy should be in much better shape after this patch. I mean, even items crafted from Philosphy Tomes are going to be more valuable after the patch. I've met a few players that, for example, liked the look of the Vanya Robes a lot more than the Myth Healer Rope. Nobody really bought Vanya after awhile since it wasn't really viable that far into the endgame, but now, if you like the look it's easily worth buying.

Same for everything else really. Even if an items stats aren't that great, it'll sell if it looks okay. So, at least for awhile the economy should get a fairly significant boost.

Noi

They have said that they aren't doing traditional expansion packs anymore for FFXIV. Instead we'll get these content patches on a 3-month cadence. However I wonder if this claim will hold up when it's time to add new zones, I could see them doing mini-expansions periodically like what Guild Wars does when that sort of content is added.

Didn't Yoshi specifically say in the last live letter that they were working on a normal expansion pack, in addition to those content patches? I distinctly remember him saying something along the lines of "content for an expansion pack would be roughly the size of all of 2.0" and "the content you'll get will be enough to make you feel like it's worth paying for it".

Between the new crafting items and vanity, I think the economy should be in much better shape after this patch. I mean, even items crafted from Philosphy Tomes are going to be more valuable after the patch. I've met a few players that, for example, liked the look of the Vanya Robes a lot more than the Myth Healer Rope. Nobody really bought Vanya after awhile since it wasn't really viable that far into the endgame, but now, if you like the look it's easily worth buying.

Same for everything else really. Even if an items stats aren't that great, it'll sell if it looks okay. So, at least for awhile the economy should get a fairly significant boost.

Yeah, I feel like vanity alone will give the economy the boost it needs, even for old crafted equipment. People love having options on what colors to use, specially if we're gonna get crafted recolors of Foestriker/Battlemage/Infantry/Cavalry rather than being able to dye the old stuff.

I guess because it's been since early September since I did weaving, but this crafting job is hella annoying to level up. Thankfully the markets in Uldah carry Hempen yarn and hempen cloth so I'm just taking that shortcut. ARM seems to be in the same vein. Thank goodness for having an alt with level 50 WVR, I refuse to go down that road again.

Didn't Yoshi specifically say in the last live letter that they were working on a normal expansion pack, in addition to those content patches? I distinctly remember him saying something along the lines of "content for an expansion pack would be roughly the size of all of 2.0" and "the content you'll get will be enough to make you feel like it's worth paying for it".

I might be behind the times then, I haven't watched the last live letter.

Aeana

Yes, that is what he said. And he said we won't be getting any new abilities until the expansion and a level increase too, including new summons.

Zomba13

Yes, that is what he said. And he said we won't be getting any new abilities until the expansion and a level increase too, including new summons.

Yeah. I've heard that before.
"New summons are coming guys. Don't worry."
*A billion years after Aht Urghan*
"Here, I guess you can summon Odin and Alexander or something now. But only as a 2hr."

Teknoman

I will admit, I don't know if I'll ever bother getting into endgame. Combo of Sticking-to-the-script necessary battles, limited drops, and the totalitarianism of people in regards to "Know everything/Be Cleared/Don't suck", really turn me off on the whole thing.

Things like that made me never do much End Game stuff in XI, nor camp those damn NM's.

Making it through CoP before it was Nerfed, really made me dislike other people, because some acted in that "don't suck" manor, and not even on the obvious mistakes. Any tiny thing missed turned into drama, and I wonder how bad things get in XIV's endgame.

I write all this, though, without know much about any of the EndGame quests, as I'm just now getting to Stone Vigil in the story.

Any idea on how far through the available Main Storyline that is?

You'll be ok, as more people join the FC i'm sure we'll have more than enough people to go around. The fights arent anywhere near as strict as XI as i've sure you've seen.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess

I wonder if this will be the case at all. Philos tome mats were already bottomed out so anyone who liked any of the looks would have probably scooped them up before. Not to mention it's still piss easy to just farm philos and buy your own mats. Everyone and their mother has a craft/gatherer up now and knows several who have all of them who will hook you up. The prisms themselves will be cheap and easy to make. Dyes are piss easy to gather/make as well (or buy, or...).

I don't see it. I can see a little bump at the start but...nothing is going to truly jump start the economy in this game until the crafting/gathering is revamped to where everyone can not master everything.

Our group tried doing Twin multiple times a week for several weeks but we eventually stopped because people were burned out. Hopefully we get it down soon...
It's a bit tricky getting back to how consistent we were before with Raijinken, because Havi is still learning. Even still we had our best attempt ever today. I'm sure if we had put more time into it we would have had it weeks ago but I don't think anyone in our group really wants to do the same encounter 3-4 times a week for 3 hours every time. I know I don't... it's just too draining.

Ken

It's a bit tricky getting back to how consistent we were before with Raijinken, because Havi is still learning. Even still we had our best attempt ever today. I'm sure if we had put more time into it we would have had it weeks ago but I don't think anyone in our group really wants to do the same encounter 3-4 times a week for 3 hours every time. I know I don't... it's just too draining.

word of advice: progress can be made even when not playing the game

BadRNG

Our group tried doing Twin multiple times a week for several weeks but we eventually stopped because people were burned out. Hopefully we get it down soon...
It may sound obvious but it wasn't for us, so take frequent breaks between attempts. I seriously wish we had considered this earlier, as a normal trend for us was to have an excellent first lockout then a second filled with regression and stupid mistakes before calling it. We also generally had raid nights spaced throughout the week rather than back to back to back.

I don't know what part you guys are stuck on but I'm sure you can do it. Just gotta believe in yourselves! (Actually another issue we had >_>)

12-17 hours a day every day.
Nah that was Titan.

Yeah I know what you mean. We actually had effectively 10 members of our static when we were learning T5, with member swaps(and even strategy...) seemingly every other night. It was not good, and a massive waste of time.

3-4 nights of 2 lockouts is definitely overkill. I think our usual schedule was one lockout on our regular coil night, then anywhere between 2-4 more lockouts spaced throughout the week. Our schedules are weird so doing a ton of attempts every night as not really an option for us.

I don't know what part you guys are stuck on but I'm sure you can do it. Just gotta believe in yourselves!

I wouldn't say we are stuck on anything in particular, we just make a lot of little mistakes that mean we rarely ever get to twisters. Yesterday we got there cleanly once in 3 hours. I'm pretty confident that given another couple of weeks we could do it pre-nerf, but we'll just have to make do with what we have and stay positive!

chrono01

For those of you that beat Twin, how much practice did you do a week when your group was seriously practicing the fight?
As was mentioned previously, it took us a couple of weeks with around...two or so nights of attempts per week [usually for a lockout or two, sometimes three depending].

The best advice I can give is to not "burn yourself out". Go in there for a lockout and, if things are beginning to get sloppy, take a 10-15 minute break to re-focus, grab a drink, etc. If you just try to force yourselves through it, not only will people begin to get fatigued earlier on, but their gameplay will likely suffer as well. Take things slow, learn the mechanics and each phase at a pace suitable to your group and, more importantly, don't give up!

I'm sure you guys will win eventually! I have faith in you.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
For those of you that beat Twin, how much practice did you do a week when your group was seriously practicing the fight?

Just remember to not get pissed at your team members for messing up due to a mechanic
It will happen, it will take a lot of practice, mistakes you make and fix will make you win T5

You really have to go through the phases:

Get up to Conflag
Get to Conflag stage, Learn Conflag/Bypass Conflag
Get to Divebombs, Learn bombs/Bypass Bombs <Hardest Part to Work Out>
Learn Snakes, Bypass Snakes
Learn Twister/Knight, Bypass
Kill before Enrage
WIN!

Madchad

Yer i have all jobs 50 now though im starting to think i should of done the crafts first pre patch >_>

Also got my 3k paragon gown to go with the all 50 paragon crown so im bossing that up as a lalafel on the back of my behemoth. mwhahahaha

Thanks for the advice all. I try not to get stressed too much with Coil, especially since I run with 2 groups. It can be so easy to burn myself out.

Taruranto

I think 1 week? More or less cause we had to pug 1-2 members occasionally because some members had real life problems.

Honestly, the "hardest" thing about Twintania is finding a group of motivated people. Too many times in the past I ran into people abandoning a set pt because said pt couldn't down it in 2 nights. Because of FFXIV mentality, people are too used to get carried/giving up too easily, as opposed to trying to push a fight. Once you manage to find a group of motivated people it's mostly about memorizing the fight like usual.

And yeah, don't get burned out. It's not even worth that much anymore.

dcye

Yer i have all jobs 50 now though im starting to think i should of done the crafts first pre patch >_>

Also got my 3k paragon gown to go with the all 50 paragon crown so im bossing that up as a lalafel on the back of my behemoth. mwhahahaha

Niceee. King Uwotmate has a ring to it :p.

Wilsongt

I missed out on an Allagan Tunic of casting last night because I was on sch instead of smn. I'll never see it drop again.

So... T3. Shit's hilarious with dead bodies flying everywhere.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I have a feeling the new tomes will be needed for the relic upgrade... probably will take three weeks worth again too.

dcye

I have a feeling the new tomes will be needed for the relic upgrade... probably will take three weeks worth again too.

Um, who doesnt think this will be the case? :/

I also think (hope?) the AF2 will be a similar thing, where you need to use new tomes or tome items to upgrade existing myth gear to AF2, making it a little less easy to get Tome ilvl100 or whatever gear. At least that would require some sort of gear progression still.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Um, who doesnt think this will be the case? :/

I also think (hope?) the AF2 will be a similar thing, where you need to use new tomes or tome items to upgrade existing myth gear to AF2, making it a little less easy to get Tome ilvl100 or whatever gear. At least that would require some sort of gear progression still.

Well, I am just saying allagan weapons will still have their use for a bit.

As long as stuff is gear gated it should be fine.

I mean, I doubt people will be beating Coil 2 easily without having Coil 1 stuff, same for Leviathan.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
As long as stuff is gear gated it should be fine.

I mean, I doubt people will be beating Coil 2 easily without having Coil 1 stuff, same for Leviathan.

Leviathan is part of the story mode and will likely drop the weapons there. They won't make that fight difficult to the point people can't clear it quickly. Extreme mode on the other hand...

aceface

They were talking like they want coil2 to have the same reputation coil1 did when the game was released. Iirc that reputation was "Impossible to beat" (at least for turn 5). I wonder if they will actually pull it off.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
They were talking like they want coil2 to have the same reputation coil1 did when the game was released. Iirc that reputation was "Impossible to beat" (at least for turn 5). I wonder if they will actually pull it off.

Well the stuff they showed in the video did look pretty crazy... many hours of wipes, gear repairs and tears incoming.

gryvan

Well the ADS that did high voltage and disappeared in the trailer shows that its gonna be full of tears

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom