• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

aceface

I like doing FATE's when there's only 3 or 4 people, it's exciting. I've had a lot like this since subs began. I feel like this is how they designed fates to work.

It sucks though if you are the only person there and you know you have no hope of beating it.

I agree with you. Primary stat is so important for dps, I don't even look at the other stats unless primary stat is equal. however, vit is pretty important for some things like Titan.

To be fair, that isn't really what he did. He had a more recent stat weights that gave det a higher value then crit. That added to the value of 4 extra str is the key. Enough of a gain in a side stat can be worth it over the main stat. Finding out that amount is using it to evaluate gear is the entire point being assigning stat weights.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
I can't stress out enough on how good the PS3 version now looks after the patch. It seems as if they added AA, smoothed the framerate and tweaked the lighting effects. SO GOOD. Now THIS IS a patch.

Lightning will be even more beautiful now!

orion434

Seems like the tax would be quite a price to pay to attempt that. Think it may be hard to really determine the price of those items because of their circumstances. Being at most slightly better then easier to get gear makes it so it is only people with an embarrassment of wealth would really shoot for them. All the people that I have physically seen with the HQ of that gear on also had a lot of 50 crafts, so I assumed likely made it themselves.

Well that was a lot of wasted words to basically say that I have no idea what the going price would be, nor an easy way to find out a happy maximum. Good luck!

I would say the minimum would be 3 lv 50 TradeCrafts... Weaver / Carpenter / Blacksmith to reliably HQ the lv 50** Gear.

If the difference is 100K, 15K tax would be worth it to drive up the price. There are some really shady tactics on manipulating the Market Board. This is why I list my HQ Undyed Felt, one at a time @ exactly 3% less than the lowest listed, it's the same person buying them trying to keep their price high, I can HQ Undyed Felt using all standard ingridents. If I put too many up for sale then they would lower the price and undercut me, this way I sell my wares, make profit and it keeps the price stable... let them check the Market Board every 10 minutes :p

I would say the minimum would be 3 lv 50 TradeCrafts... Weaver / Carpenter / Blacksmith to reliably HQ the lv 50** Gear.

If the difference is 100K, 15K tax would be worth it to drive up the price.

The four or so people that I have seen that didn't look like straight up gil buyers that had the HQ gear had nearly every craft capped. This is anecdotal of course and doesn't mean much. For that second thing, yes that is true, but also where the extra circumstances come into play. If these were items that had a higher demand and could be moved with regularity then eating that loss to set a visible price may be worth it. The current demand seems to be the hard thing to put a real value on though.

aceface

I can't stress out enough on how good the PS3 version now looks after the patch. It seems as if they added AA, smoothed the framerate and tweaked the lighting effects. SO GOOD. Now THIS IS a patch.

You know, I thought the PS3 version looked better. I didn't know if I was imagining it or not though. It's nice for Square to throw a bone to us ps3 peasants.

Ultrabum

To be fair, that isn't really what he did. He had a more recent stat weights that gave det a higher value then crit. That added to the value of 4 extra str is the key. Enough of a gain in a side stat can be worth it over the main stat. Finding out that amount is using it to evaluate gear is the entire point being assigning stat weights.

I agree that that would be true, but that gear doesn't exist. There is no gear that has only str for example. All the gear has primary stat + some other stats.

At least for str gear, all the secondary stats are close enough together that you can always just look at the primary stat, and whatever has the highest primary stat is always the best (at least for monk and dragoon).

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
I agree that that would be true, but that gear doesn't exist. There is no gear that has only str for example. All the gear has primary stat + some other stats.

At least for str gear, all the secondary stats are close enough together that you can always just look at the primary stat, and whatever has the highest primary stat is always the best (at least for monk and dragoon).

I noticed that I use monk Allegan accessories as my DRG though.

For example: MNK earrings have STR, Skill SPD, and Crit. DRG earrings have STR, Skill SPD, and ACC.

Since I am already capped on ACC, I just use the monk accessories for that extra bit of crit.

Ultrabum

I noticed that I use monk Allegan accessories as my DRG though.

For example: MNK earrings have STR, Skill SPD, and Crit. DRG earrings have STR, Skill SPD, and ACC.

Since I am already capped on ACC, I just use the monk accessories for that extra bit of crit.

Exactly, and that is a good choice. But it is only good because they both have the same str. If they didn't, the one with more str would be better.

Awesome, thanks for taking the time to make this! I gave it a shot and it's pretty useful, but I don't have some/all of the crafting skills at 15 yet... so maybe add an option somewhere to choose which crafts you have level'd up so the program won't suggest skills you don't have?

Yea i mentioned it in the release notes also, but that's basically next on the list.

Dunan

I like doing FATE's when there's only 3 or 4 people, it's exciting. I've had a lot like this since subs began. I feel like this is how they designed fates to work.

It sucks though if you are the only person there and you know you have no hope of beating it.

I was asked by a Gridanian girl whose boyfriend was killed by monsters to go and slaughter some for her, and thought it would be something that could be done solo -- not a chance! They kept coming and coming, and I was KO'd in the process; a helpful person who'd joined the FATE said, "This is why you don't do that FATE solo!" Well, blame that girl who didn't warn us about how hard it would be!

I was wondering why I couldn't turn in my extra AK gear to the expert delivery gc guy for seals. It turns out they cap the list of items that show in the menu to something like 29 items only plus they prioritize lower items first. So that means you have to drop all your lower gear dungeon stuff in your retainer if you wanna turn in any high level gear. Not really worth it for 177 seals each but it just seems like a waste to drop it for nothing.

Also, I had to resub after maintenance last night and even though all I have left is titan and binding coil, I said screw it and got the 180 day sub. Here's six more months of awesome times with everyone.

pitbull

Banned
Really?

Peltas Breeches:

Strength +16
Vitality +18
Critical Hit Rate +24
Skill Speed +17

Darklight Trousers:

Strength +20
Vitality +22
Accuracy +19
Determination +18

I find it hard to believe that STR+4 and Determination +18 is outweighted by Critical Hit Rate +24.

My only source of information on DRG stat weight is from the Dragoon: A Rotation Reborn thread over at the SE forums:

Weapon Damage: 7.54
Strength: 1
Determination: .22
Crit: 0.16
Skill Speed: .146

According to that, both STR and Determination are ranked higher on the list and both are higher on the Darklight Leggings. (7.96 vs 6,322)
Am I missing something?

You'll die quicker wearing pelast. Don't ignore survivability and try to be a glass canon melee, never works. You're losing armor vit and det wearing lower gear.

Well unless you're just running ak or something, then you can wear whatever, doesnt matter

Cmagus

I don't know if anyone has posted this as I didn't see it looking back a few pages. You can get your Cactaur and Bomb earrings from a Moogle at Apakallu Falls in Old Gridania. His name is Intinerant Moogle and he sells them for 1 gil each.Bit the bullet and subbed for 180 days lol looks like I am staying for awhile.

Taruranto

BPG3JJf.jpg

Ln9WVJL.jpg
Won my first coil this afternoon with a pug I made, yay.

We also tried Turn 2, but ADS started to massacre us once he absorbed the first node. x_x

So the update to pet classes that allowed casting pet spells/skills while you are casting is absolutely great. Last night while healing on SCH, I was able to spend more time casting my DoTs because I could still manually heal the tank with the fairy while the long cast times were going off. My routine would typically go: Adloquium tank, Rouse, start DoT macro, Embrace while macro runs and all DoTs are applied, Adloquium.

The tank never got too low, and if there were enough enemies in a group I could throw at a bane to spread the damage around. Even if it didn't make a huge difference in time to kill, every little bit helps, the tank wasn't endangered and I had more fun. Any other scholars found good ways to utilize the update?

studyguy

Won my first coil this afternoon with a pug I made, yay.

We also tried Turn 2, but ADS started to massacre us once he absorbed the first node. x_x

Riding the bench with my FC this week on BC, so congrats. I hate sitting on the sidelines on my off week while people make progress... though T5 was been closed off for almost 2 weeks now so it doesn't matter much.

arcticxdeath

Neo Member
Any other scholars found good ways to utilize the update?

If you put the fairy on Steady instead of Guard, she will only cast Embrace automatically, allowing you to micro her cooldowns.

Of course, there's a downside to this. Asking her to cast any spell, including Embrace,will put her back on Guard and she will blow the CDs if you aren't quick to put her back on Steady. Watch out, though; put her on Steady while she is casting and she will cancel casting, which also eats the CD. Have fun!

She casts Embrace automatically on people with less then 80% hp or so, as long as she's close enough, by the way. Not the spell range, but her own random range that you must stand in to be worthy. So, you can use Place to stick her up near the melee and Heel to have her follow you again after the pull. This patch included letting you place her while casting, in addition to hard casting her spells, so it's great for that.

That seems to be true, at least at end game. Was a few times while leveling that some pink gear with a ton of extra bonus stats ended up being better, even if it was a few str lower. I was mistaking about the leggings, but it easily could have been the case there as well if the stat weights for crit and det were as originally evaluated at.

I have zero clue on what your point is with the second two sentences there though, and just assume that I didn't make clear enough what I was saying since I don't see the relevance that the lack of full primary stat gear has.

Riding the bench with my FC this week on BC, so congrats. I hate sitting on the sidelines on my off week while people make progress... though T5 was been closed off for almost 2 weeks now so it doesn't matter much.

I would much rather be riding the bench this week almost then dealing with what I have to deal with right now lol.

We had a influx of some members that suddenly want to play brd that never wanted to be a brd originally but because they see the DPS and utility potential in coil they made the switch. So we split the core group each half taking newer players and peopel playing different classes and the brd I'm stuck with just sucks. His DPS is good but cannot silence for shit and keeps messing up ROT rotation.

We have wiped to turn 2 so many times because of him and he just wont admit and accept he cannot do his job. Between him and random 90k's I'm at my end with this guy. He is even refusing to switch to another class so we can have a real brd that actually knows how to play it and use songs etc play so we can progress. So irritated and we have another player whom is a blm that just sucks at dodging.

I mean how the hell do you get hit by piercing laser every time. makes no sense.

studyguy

I would much rather be riding the bench this week almost then dealing with what I have to deal with right now lol.

We had a influx of some members that suddenly want to play brd that never wanted to be a brd originally but because they see the DPS and utility potential in coil they made the switch. So we split the core group each half taking newer players and peopel playing different classes and the brd I'm stuck with just sucks. His DPS is good but cannot silence for shit and keeps messing up ROT rotation.

We have wiped to turn 2 so many times because of him and he just wont admit and accept he cannot do his job. Between him and random 90k's I'm at my end with this guy. He is even refusing to switch to another class so we can have a real brd that actually knows how to play it and use songs etc play so we can progress. So irritated and we have another player whom is a blm that just sucks at dodging.

I mean how the hell do you get hit by piercing laser every time. makes no sense.

I tank so between my partner and I, we tend to slap the enemy with a Spirits if we get the chance during high voltage. It's easier with BRDs there, but you know... everyone has to be on it incase shit hits the fan.

Ultrabum

That seems to be true, at least at end game. Was a few times while leveling that some pink gear with a ton of extra bonus stats ended up being better, even if it was a few str lower. I was mistaking about the leggings, but it easily could have been the case there as well if the stat weights for crit and det were as originally evaluated at.

I have zero clue on what your point is with the second two sentences there though, and just assume that I didn't make clear enough what I was saying since I don't see the relevance that the lack of full primary stat gear has.

If there was a set of gear that had no str, but had 200 crit, 200 det, 200 acc. It would be better than dark light gear maybe, but the way all the gear is set up, they all have str + some other stats. So it boils down to item level (which correlates directly with str) is always more important than the secondary stats.

I'm just trying to say that Str and vit are more important than the secondary stats, even in cases in which you add accuracy and are already at the hit cap. Even though you "waste" that accuracy, the strength gain is more important.

Because of this, af2 gear is always better than ak gear, which is always better than WP gear, which is always better than AF1 gear.

Where it becomes interesting is comparing things like AF2 and allagan gear. These 2 sets are the same item level and have the same str. Thus for these 2 sets, the secondary stats become important in deciding which is better.

(I dunno if I'm making sense)

Aeana

This is why we baby our bards. I (healer) just take the responsibility of taking rot from one bard and giving it to the other, so they won't miss high voltage or let rot blow us all up.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
This is why we baby our bards. I (healer) just take the responsibility of taking rot from one bard and giving it to the other, so they won't miss high voltage or let rot blow us all up.

We are the opposite, we baby the healers and have our ranged pick up the rot from them.

Our bards are paired up with our PLDs. Main tank stuns with bard 1, and off tank stuns with bard 2. This greatly reduces the chances of getting paralyzed.

Isaccard

She'll look even better on PC.

Aeana

We are the opposite, we baby the healers and have our ranged pick up the rot from them.

Our bards are paired up with our PLDs. Main tank stuns with bard 1, and off tank stuns with bard 2. This greatly reduces the chances of getting paralyzed.

We go with PLD/WAR so that's not an option at the moment, though I think our WAR is leveling PLD.

I tank so between my partner and I, we tend to slap the enemy with a Spirits if we get the chance during high voltage. It's easier with BRDs there, but you know... everyone has to be on it incase shit hits the fan.

Yeah, I usually did that on my first try of Turn 2, but Spirits is slow and if your are caught in Halone animation...

I mean BRD probably (not I'm pretty sure) has the fastest silence skill in the game, also the easiest rotation (lol) and can move while using skills. I can understand a blunder and a missing one in a while but seriously, they should be able to do that.

studyguy

Yeah, I usually did that on my first try of Turn 2, but Spirits is slow and if your are caught in Halone animation...

I mean BRD probably (not I'm pretty sure) has the fastest silence skill in the game, also the easiest rotation (lol) and can move while using skills. I can understand a blunder and a missing one in a while but seriously, they should be able to do that.

Aye, it's always really sketchy with PLD since we can get caught up in avoiding another AoE at the same time or have to swap tanks when High Voltage. Anyway having solid BRDs is always a boon.

If there was a set of gear that had no str, but had 200 crit, 200 det, 200 acc. It would be better than dark light gear maybe, but the way all the gear is set up, they all have str + some other stats. So it boils down to item level (which correlates directly with str) is always more important than the secondary stats.

I'm just trying to say that Str and vit are more important than the secondary stats, even in cases in which you add accuracy and are already at the hit cap. Even though you "waste" that accuracy, the strength gain is more important.

Because of this, af2 gear is always better than ak gear, which is always better than WP gear, which is always better than AF1 gear.

Where it becomes interesting is comparing things like AF2 and allagan gear. These 2 sets are the same item level and have the same str. Thus for these 2 sets, the secondary stats become important in deciding which is better.

(I dunno if I'm making sense)

You are. It's just that there can be situations for a given class where if one piece of gear is loaded with enough of a higher valued secondary stat it could make up for a lack in the primary when compared to another piece of gear if that other gear has an amount of lower value stat and say, unneeded accuracy. That is what I belied was the case for those two sets of pants when the stat weight was thought to be different. The older values were:
WD: 10.541
Str: 1
det: .193
crit: .222
SS: .191

Meaning that the lower tiered leggins that I was referencing would have been worth 24.57 and the Darklight 23.47 to someone that was acc capped. Someone came around with better tested stat weights, so that didn't end up being the case. Regardless it still ends up so close that you may want to upgrade the pants later after spending the tomes on things that are worth more if the person looking into this already had the lower pants.

You are correct though in that I don't think this will be something that is common in the game since they don't seem to trade off primary stats for massive quantities of secondary stats for random gear pieces as much as I've seen in other mmorpgs, and it dose all seem to follow a linear primary stat advancement the higher the ilvl of gear. Making all the maths rather pointless in the long run except in situations where you have multiple gear pieces for the same slot of the same ilvl.

supergiz

You should not have to be babying your bards. It just sounds like the bards need to practice more at the fight or the other option is they just aren't good.

Yeah usually we have 2 PLD's but splitting the way we have our other tank is a WAR. Honestly what makes it so frustrating is when we do our core we cruise through turn 1 and 2 no problem. But we started getting complaints from other members so we tried mixing it up and now the groups are struggling.

lol Yeah I could see how that would help idk. I have always played brd since 1.0 and 2.0 just made it better since you can move just seems some brd have trouble realizing that you do not have to DPS every single second you can move and pass ROT and hit your blunt arrow.

Usually in our core when we do it it is not a problem the rotation works we are on top of rot we pass it. if one has rot and needs to pass while other brd is on cool down we just say on mumble pld cover this silence in case. That way we have 3 on it just in case then go back to normal rotation.

Just such a pain in the ass to be going backwards progression wise.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
You should not have to be babying your bards. It just sounds like the bards need to practice more at the fight or the other option is they just aren't good.

Giz here can baby the healers and keep up on the stuns! Take this man's advice.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Yeah usually we have 2 PLD's but splitting the way we have our other tank is a WAR. Honestly what makes it so frustrating is when we do our core we cruise through turn 1 and 2 no problem. But we started getting complaints from other members so we tried mixing it up and now the groups are struggling.

lol Yeah I could see how that would help idk. I have always played brd since 1.0 and 2.0 just made it better since you can move just seems some brd have trouble realizing that you do not have to DPS every single second you can move and pass ROT and hit your blunt arrow.

Usually in our core when we do it it is not a problem the rotation works we are on top of rot we pass it. if one has rot and needs to pass while other brd is on cool down we just say on mumble pld cover this silence in case. That way we have 3 on it just in case then go back to normal rotation.

Just such a pain in the ass to be going backwards progression wise.

Solution: Form a static group of 8 members with scheduled run times and those complaining need to do the same thing.

I hate to say it, but people need to be social at the endgame of this multi-player game. Many will cry about not getting carried, or that it's "impossible" to find a static, but they will soon learn that they would have had their static if they didn't get carried through Titan.

Most that I know essentially formed a static group through the Titan run.

Aeana

You could say "you should not need to be doing ____" where ____ is just about anything. Other groups don't need to baby their healers, for instance, but it seems to be an incredibly common tactic.

If you put the fairy on Steady instead of Guard, she will only cast Embrace automatically, allowing you to micro her cooldowns.

Of course, there's a downside to this. Asking her to cast any spell, including Embrace,will put her back on Guard and she will blow the CDs if you aren't quick to put her back on Steady. Watch out, though; put her on Steady while she is casting and she will cancel casting, which also eats the CD. Have fun!

She casts Embrace automatically on people with less then 80% hp or so, as long as she's close enough, by the way. Not the spell range, but her own random range that you must stand in to be worthy. So, you can use Place to stick her up near the melee and Heel to have her follow you again after the pull. This patch included letting you place her while casting, in addition to hard casting her spells, so it's great for that.

Good stuff - I'll definitely mess around with some of that

Solution: Form a static group of 8 members with scheduled run times and those complaining need to do the same thing.

I hate to say it, but people need to be social at the endgame of this multi-player game. Many will cry about not getting carried, or that it's "impossible" to find a static, but they will soon learn that they would have had their static if they didn't get carried through Titan.

Most that I know essentially formed a static group through the Titan run.

Yeah I have been looking into trying to get a static together on the side.have some people interested really does seem like the only real option to really progress. The only benefit to this is that it has definitely exposed a lot of players. We had an idea whom teh weakest links were and this just exposed them further.

Baleoce

I wish EXP you get whilst on a lvl 50 job was converted (or at least a percentage of it) to bonus sanctuary buffer when you're on other non 50 jobs. Seems like such a waste xD

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Yeah I have been looking into trying to get a static together on the side.have some people interested really does seem like the only real option to really progress. The only benefit to this is that it has definitely exposed a lot of players. We had an idea whom teh weakest links were and this just exposed them further.

Linkshells work really well for static groups. Make one and invite your members you have already lined up. Then test out the remainder through whatever means necessary (titan runs or coil runs).

Once you have the 8 people in a LS together, it's pretty easy to quickly see when everybody is online and get something scheduled.

Ultrabum

As I monk, I can pretty reliably solo silence the entire turn 2 fight(95% of the time) and if I know I'm going to miss it, I just tell the pld to stop using skills on voice chat so he can cover it. #underratedjob.

It does come at a dps cost though.

Mandoric

Banned
I wish EXP you get whilst on a lvl 50 job was converted (or at least a percentage of it) to bonus sanctuary buffer when you're on other non 50 jobs. Seems like such a waste xD

I just want to be able to get up to 561999/562000 like you could in FF11 and 1.0. Or, even better, meripo.

Lain

Trying to get a Hydra party going on Ultros, so far have 567 people, just needing 21 Tank and 1 DPS, if anyone is interested or just wants to help.
Party filled!

pitbull

Banned
As I monk, I can pretty reliably solo silence the entire turn 2 fight(95% of the time) and if I know I'm going to miss it, I just tell the pld to stop using skills on voice chat so he can cover it. #underratedjob.

It does come at a dps cost though.

"cost" doesn't quiet cover it, you have to stop dps A LOT and isn't a feasible strat for new groups to follow. It might not seem much but 15 secs+ of not doing actions on a mnk hurts. If the other dps are awesome enough thats great but they are basically 3 man dps'ing it.

It's not like drg's stuns or pld silences, where they just have to make sure the animation goes of

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom